Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Pomp posted:

Burn my only red eye orb. Game summons me right in the middle of the same room as the three dudes fighting a monster. I get surrounded and stabbed to death the instant I am no longer invincible.

Great, thanks game, it's not like those are a loving pain in the rear end to acquire.

You'll have access to more when you find the appropriate covenant, and an NPC sells them on NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tRIDAV posted:

So if you die, the game punishes you by reducing your HP. And eventually it decides to make it easier by permanently despawning enemies. Except if you're having trouble with 1 particular part past the despawned enemies, you're now even worse off than before because you can't get souls. Except if you want to make them even more difficult by making them NG+ level if you have particular items. And none of this is told to the player either.

Guess practicing that lovely loving room of double 5+ zombie pulls before Ruin Sentinels trying to figure out a better way to do it was a mistake. I threw away like 20k worth of souls too because I wanted to practice it at the level I was.

Use your small white soapstone dude. It fixes both your souls and your humanity problems.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sex Robot posted:

Burn a human effigy in a fire

This is wrong. You have to burn an ascetic, but that makes that area NG+.

Your title is totally accurate.

No you can't make them respawn but you shouldn't. That means you're taking too long, and the game wants you to move forward.

Like in a beat em up game if you stand still for too long. "Move On! Move On!"

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

I can't get a ps3 controller to work with this game for poo poo! I tried motioninjoy, few different profiles. It works but not when I'm in the game. Bullshit.

Try these drivers instead.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
1. Where do I go after I killed the pursuer? Do I steal his ride to god knows where or try out one of the other "wings" in Majula?

2. Does adaptability provide benefits for armoured brick playstyles that barely use roll or should I put the points in vgr/end/str instead?

3. Does armour resistance come into effect before or after stamina reduction on block is calculated?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
For mouse people, to find out more about things in your menu - right click and it should be "help" click that and hover your cursor over what you wanna know

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

tRIDAV posted:

So if you die, the game punishes you by reducing your HP. And eventually it decides to make it easier by permanently despawning enemies. Except if you're having trouble with 1 particular part past the despawned enemies, you're now even worse off than before because you can't get souls. Except if you want to make them even more difficult by making them NG+ level if you have particular items. And none of this is told to the player either.

Guess practicing that lovely loving room of double 5+ zombie pulls before Ruin Sentinels trying to figure out a better way to do it was a mistake. I threw away like 20k worth of souls too because I wanted to practice it at the level I was.

This is a mechanic designed to get people going human more often, and jolly coopin' together, not to just annoy you. Basically, you're playing the game wrong. Use (not burn) a human effigy, or even easier use the small signstone (which you can use while hollow!) to help some dudes out and gain your humanity when you succeed.

e: Also useful for trying out bosses or particularly difficult areas (cause you dont have to fight a boss to be summoned with it), since you don't lose your souls if you fail

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 26, 2014

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
What is a really good mid-game strength weapon? I'm swinging around an upgraded ultra greatsword and the fire sword in the other slot still.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

This is wrong. You have to burn an ascetic, but that makes that area NG+.

Your title is totally accurate.

No you can't make them respawn but you shouldn't. That means you're taking too long, and the game wants you to move forward.

Like in a beat em up game if you stand still for too long. "Move On! Move On!"

it takes like four hours to kill the same area fifteen times so really you should move on already

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Cowcaster posted:

Use your small white soapstone dude. It fixes both your souls and your humanity problems.

Literally besides the point. I wanted to see if there was a better way to do the packs before Ruin Sentinels because I enjoy getting better and I was having fun. I don't like to summon to get past hard parts, I like to practice and get better. I don't care at all about the missing souls because I can always get more through co-op like you said.

You know when Devil May Cry asked you if you wanted to go down a difficulty level? It had the courtesy to ask.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After how much trouble they gave me, I feel kind of bad that I just blew away Old Dragonslayer Ornstein. Sorry dude. :smith:

Also I got red invaded! He managed to draw three giant soldiers on me at the same time. It cost me a phantom but I took them all down. :getin:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Small white soapstone is broken good, use it more. If the dude you're helping stays alive you get unhollowed, an estus refill, a small stone, and your map HP reset.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think part of the problem is that originally the small white sign soapstone inconsistently restored humanity due to a bug, which was later patched. So none of the wikis mention it restores humanity, nor does the item description.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

tRIDAV posted:

Literally besides the point. I wanted to see if there was a better way to do the packs before Ruin Sentinels because I enjoy getting better and I was having fun. I don't like to summon to get past hard parts, I like to practice and get better. I don't care at all about the missing souls because I can always get more through co-op like you said.

You know when Devil May Cry asked you if you wanted to go down a difficulty level? It had the courtesy to ask.

It's really easy to get souls and humanity.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You know I think I completely out levelled NG. SL135 and 2.6 million SM. I guess rushing through the game because I put 200 hours into the ps3 version wasn't the best idea :I

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tRIDAV posted:

I'm not talking about you summoning help, I'm talking about you BEING SUMMONED. If you get summoned as a shade and fulfill your duty by killing dudes for 5 minutes, you get your humanity restored AND get to keep the souls you farmed.

Hey, you even get to get in that practice you were hoping for! There's no reason for you not to be doing this!

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 26, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey, where is the map in the cartographers mansion? is there one in the first place? also, I keep seeing messages about 'illusions' how do I dispel them?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Logan 5 posted:

Can somebody tell me what this stat is on weapons? Most of this I can (kind of) figure out, but I'm lost on this one:

This respawns all the despawned enemies? This is news to me.

That stat is the bleed bonus. Poison and Bleed are more or less treated as "elements" now so you can make all weapons "bleed" weapons at the infusion blacksmith, and then pump your stats in such a way to get an even bigger bleed bonus. Finding McDuff the blacksmith's easy, getting him a new ember...not so easy. Totally worth it though as the elemental stuff is loving awesome if you're not a straight STR/DEX character.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Welp. Anyone heard anything about hackers yet because I just ran into a guy who didn't take damage from a great resonant soul to the chest. He wasn't dodging and there was no lag.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey, where is the map in the cartographers mansion? is there one in the first place? also, I keep seeing messages about 'illusions' how do I dispel them?

You need to press the Use button I believe (the same one you use to read messages on the ground), in front of specific buttons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HGH posted:

You need to press the Use button I believe (the same one you use to read messages on the ground), in front of specific buttons.

It's kind of like it's 1995 and you're playing Doom: mash the use key on walls until you find a secret door!

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Cowcaster posted:

I'm not talking about you summoning help, I'm talking about you BEING SUMMONED. If you get summoned as a shade and fulfill your duty by killing dudes for 5 minutes, you get your humanity and get to keep the souls you farmed.

Hey, you even get to get in that practice you were hoping for! There's no reason for you not to be doing this!

You can't honestly believe the game plays the same with 2 people compared to 1.

gently caress permanently despawning enemies is all I am trying to get across. If you want to prevent people to farm them, it should also be based on spent souls instead of acquired because that is some straight up retarded logic.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So on the same line of discussion of being able to switch handedness for weapon and shield, how does parrying behaviour work? Or is it less hitbox meets hitbox and more of an animation timing thing? Because it would seem weird since I'm sure all the enemies in the game are right handed so having a shield in the right hand to parry with wouldn't technically work out.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Turns out that all you need to activate the pre-order weapons is a text file. :v:

It's in the /DLC/License folder, named license05.bin. If you open it up the contents are just "DLC06 DARK SOULS II Sales gimmick". I get the feeling someone didn't appreciate a marketing department forcing them to have a pre-order.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

tRIDAV posted:

You can't honestly believe the game plays the same with 2 people compared to 1.

gently caress permanently despawning enemies is all I am trying to get across. If you want to prevent people to farm them, it should also be based on spent souls instead of acquired because that is some straight up retarded logic.

Yeah, it doesn't play the same. In fact, it becomes MORE AWESOME with two people. I do agree the soul memory's a bit dumb though.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Yep. People already hacking. Just invaded the same guy again in belfry sol who wasn't taking any damage from any attacks and just walked around with an avelyn shooting me and another phantom.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So, about these soapstones... I have already beat the first major boss of the game and still don't have a way to drop a summoning sign. Did I miss something obvious? I'm about to head out to Heide's but I feel like I'm missing out on part of the Dark Souls experience.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Soul memory seems like it could be a good idea conceptually, but then its bad because you get punished for losing souls which screws up the dynamic of thinking they're really important when they're really throwaway currency. Now it actually sucks to lose a bunch.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, it doesn't play the same. In fact, it becomes MORE AWESOME with two people. I do agree the soul memory's a bit dumb though.

Yeah, Soul Memory is probably my main complaint. I accidentally got carried away by being summoned as a shade every 5 steps in dead mans warf and now my soul memory is around 400K.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DrNutt posted:

So, about these soapstones... I have already beat the first major boss of the game and still don't have a way to drop a summoning sign. Did I miss something obvious? I'm about to head out to Heide's but I feel like I'm missing out on part of the Dark Souls experience.

Small soapstone: above the bonfire with the merchant lady.

Normal white soapstone: go into the ambush that the guy giving off a Patches vibe tells you to. Then come back and talk to him after you escape/die.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, you've missed them.

The small white sign soapstone: There's a staircase in the Cardinal Tower bonfire room. Head up it to find the stone in a chest. Watch out for hollows.

The full-size: Talk to that dude sitting on a barrel who warns you about the ambush ahead until he coughs it up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I rerolled as a sorceror. What would have the most immediate benefit on my ability to kill dudes? Sticking some titanite on my lovely starter staff? Leveling int?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

Turns out that all you need to activate the pre-order weapons is a text file. :v:

It's in the /DLC/License folder, named license05.bin. If you open it up the contents are just "DLC06 DARK SOULS II Sales gimmick". I get the feeling someone didn't appreciate a marketing department forcing them to have a pre-order.

That's legitimately hilarious.

DrNutt posted:

One is upstairs from that main bonfire. For the other, talk to the guy sat beside that portcullis trap.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Speaking of soapstones where do you get the red soapstone? I want to leave messages on the ground too :smith:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

dis astranagant posted:

I rerolled as a sorceror. What would have the most immediate benefit on my ability to kill dudes? Sticking some titanite on my lovely starter staff? Leveling int?

Level attunement until you get two spell casting slots, then buy another soul arrow scroll off the old hag in FoFG to raise the cast amount to 60, just like sorcerers usually did in the original Dark Souls.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BobTheJanitor posted:

If I had to work on that I would've promoted an exclusive portable soul item pre-order bonus that turns only grants you one single soul when you use it.

I'm sure people would've gotten mad that some people got a +1 soul advantage anyway :v:

keyframe posted:

Speaking of soapstones where do you get the red soapstone? I want to leave messages on the ground too :smith:
If you mean just writing orange messages, it's in the start menu now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

keyframe posted:

If you mean the orange soapstone: Pull up the menu bar, bump over to the messages section and hit write message. That's it!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tip for certain very poisonous areas: Once you cut the statues, they're cut forever. Try to proceed carefully and destroy them all for a poison-free black gulch!

EDIT: OR NOT YOU KNOW WHATEVER WHO CARES THANKS FROM they respawn if you die, but not from resting in the bonfire.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
Going a very Lightning focused Str / Faith build (also infused chime with lighting for extra damage). Are there any heavily lightning resistant bosses I should be aware of? Or is it smooth sailing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sober posted:

If I had to work on that I would've promoted an exclusive portable soul item pre-order bonus that turns only grants you one single soul when you use it.

I'm sure people would've gotten mad that some people got a +1 soul advantage anyway :v:

More like people would have been mad that the 1 soul advantage means they're not getting the true Dark Souls experience.