Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

gtrmp posted:

It's like how one of the common criticisms of 4e was that Fireball can't light things on fire like it could in every other edition... except that the 4e core rules say that fire spells can start fires if the DM allows it, whereas 3e explicitly says in the DMG that spells with a duration of "instantaneous" don't set things on fire or otherwise create lasting effects unless the spell description specifically says so.

Fireballs are perfectly simulationist and immersive and associated and <insert catchphrase-of-the-season here>, in that their effects are predictably exact all in situations, in any context. Rolling a dice to hit, or god-forbid spending a resource not explicitly defined within the setting, is riddled with the dirty contextualisms that are weak and womanly.

Simulating the effect of a fire suddenly coming into existence and then disappearing within a few seconds? Oh that's just too much trouble, handwave it away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
If the setting/story/"characters as people" stuff turn out halfway decent, I'll steal the poo poo out of it and then tack it onto 4e or some other game I like.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

P.d0t posted:

If the setting/story/"characters as people" stuff turn out halfway decent, I'll steal the poo poo out of it and then tack it onto 4e or some other game I like.

lol

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

gtrmp posted:

It's like how one of the common criticisms of 4e was that Fireball can't light things on fire like it could in every other edition... except that the 4e core rules say that fire spells can start fires if the DM allows it, whereas 3e explicitly says in the DMG that spells with a duration of "instantaneous" don't set things on fire or otherwise create lasting effects unless the spell description specifically says so.

As an aside, it's explicitly noted in 4e that powers with the Fire keyword suffer -2 penalty to attack rolls if used underwater. So the answer for 4e would be that "yes fire spells can be cast underwater",.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

quote:

Mike: Balance on its own is an illusion without the DM.

:350:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

and so, we're not even going to try

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

ritorix posted:

More infodump transcribed by someone from a live event.
Mike: People don’t play the game for the rules…they play for the experience!

Oof, this is a dangerous statement. I can't tell if it's meant in a "so the rules don't matter" way or a "broken rules ruin the experience, so having a solid foundation is mandatory, but there's more to an experience than just the rules" way.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

OtspIII posted:

Oof, this is a dangerous statement. I can't tell if it's meant in a "so the rules don't matter" way or a "broken rules ruin the experience, so having a solid foundation is mandatory, but there's more to an experience than just the rules" way.

I can.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Is balance real, or just an illusion? Is damage on a miss real? Is the illusionist wizard just an illusion himself? Has anyone actually seen Mike Mearls before 2009? Couldn't it be that the thousand grog rants on the internet made him spontaneously appear in our reality?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Giving the "level" it's own initiative and actions in a boss fight isn't a bad idea, I wonder who WotC stole it from?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Giving the "level" it's own initiative and actions in a boss fight isn't a bad idea, I wonder who WotC stole it from?
It was originally a Nightfall mechanic, I think.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

quote:

Mike: Balance on its own is an illusion without the DM.

Oh please fake Daddy, tell me I'm a special boy!

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

and so, we're not even going to try

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

That sounds like a great idea, saddle the DM with even more burden than just handling every single monster's abilities, initiatives, hit points, spells, defenses, and movement, in addition to designing the area that combat takes place in.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

this troper posted:

That sounds like a great idea, saddle the DM with even more burden than just handling every single monster's abilities, initiatives, hit points, spells, defenses, and movement, in addition to designing the area that combat takes place in.

it basically just turns the arena into another monster, only it's one that can't be attacked or damaged normally and doesn't move. that's not that complicated.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gerund posted:

Oh please fake Daddy, tell me I'm a special boy!

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

this troper posted:

It's just the traps and hazards from 4E that come bundled with specific monsters, relax.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

They should just make a board game where you build fights with traps, hazards, and monsters from a point budget, and the budget also dictates how powerful the heroes can be. It'd be like a fantasy Robo Rally. Sounds better than Descent!

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Considering Mearls is on phone call terms with one of the biggest celebrities produced by the OSRetards, I'm not surprised about all this "rules are just a tool, and only a bad craftsman blames his tools!" shenanigans.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"only a bad craftsman blames his tools!" said no power tool manufacturer ever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LSTB posted:

Considering Mearls is on phone call terms with one of the biggest celebrities produced by the OSRetards, I'm not surprised about all this "rules are just a tool, and only a bad craftsman blames his tools!" shenanigans.

the only tool here...... is you :xd:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Smokeing weed is for the win.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

A bad craftsman blames his tools when he uses inherently broken and outdated ones and then refuses to change to newer, more efficient and fully functional ones.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

this troper posted:

A bad craftsman blames his tools when he uses inherently broken and outdated ones and then refuses to change to newer, more efficient and fully functional ones.

No one who plays roleplaying games is a fully functional person, so why should their game be?

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Gerund posted:

No one who plays roleplaying games is a fully functional person, so why should their game be?

Because they charge like $70 for a book and then sell splats that aren't really optional.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Someone whose job is to make tools is saying that you don't need good tools. This person is still employed. Welcome to the RPG industry.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

if you believe for one second that wotc would not shitcan the entire operation if they could only find the door to the broom closet they were hiding in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gerund posted:

if you believe for one second that wotc would not shitcan the entire operation if they could only find the door to the broom closet they were hiding in

We'll theres your problem. You've got a real infestation of Mearls. They're in the floorboards and the walls. You got a place you can stay for about 1d4 days or so while we gas them?

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I can't wait for Hasbro to shut down DnD forever. It is like putting a sick dog down.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

then mearls trundles down the street to become the twenty SEVENTH full-time employee of piazo, LLC

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Also that blaming the tools line is great. Yes a craftsman doesn't blame his tools but at the same time he would get really mad if he paid for a tool and it didn't work so he had to use another tool or fix it himself after he paid top dollar for it. Sure the end piece might be the same if they guy is talented but it doesn't give the tool company an excuse to make lovely tools.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
what if you live in the world where all tool companies make lovely tools and the norm is a craftsman has to repair his own tools?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

stoutfish posted:

what if you live in the world where all tool companies make lovely tools and the norm is a craftsman has to repair his own tools?

Then opening a tool company that produces tools that don't require repair would give you a competition advantage and, eventually, someone would capitalize on the opportunity if the operation seemed profitable.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

stoutfish posted:

Then you have an industry so bush-league that one of the PRs of their shining stars ignorantly brags about their serious 26 full-time employee company.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

also lol when's the date that someone will capitalize on the market inefficiencies of the model train industry?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gerund posted:

also lol when's the date that someone will capitalize on the market inefficiencies of the model train industry?

I said if its profitable. The artisan tool industry, in the example, would be profitable (craftsmen need tools to perform their service, craftsmen's service would be in high demand and quality finished goods can be sold for higher return, ergo it could be profitable, depending on the cost, to sell them quality tools). Rpgs...not so much.

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 27, 2014

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

fake daddy doesn't NEED good tools to give happy tummyfeels to his elfgame buddies.

"You open the cabinet and *rolls* 14 titties fall out."

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

People talk about bad GMs and good GMs, and how a good GM won't have a problem with vague rules that call for arbitrary resolutions. But it's not like there's a surplus of GMs. It's like being a tank in an MMORPG, as long as you're making a good faith effort, people will call on you to do it even if you're only, say, 80% as good as you could be.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

LSTB posted:

People talk about bad GMs and good GMs, and how a good GM won't have a problem with vague rules that call for arbitrary resolutions. But it's not like there's a surplus of GMs. It's like being a tank in an MMORPG, as long as you're making a good faith effort, people will call on you to do it even if you're only, say, 80% as good as you could be.

This depends whether you are running games with power tools or not. My experience of 3.X and Storyteller tables is that if there are two DMs at the table it's so one of them has a chance to play for once. On the other hand for 4E or Storygames at least half the table will GM regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
So like, is anyone ever going to play a Warlord?

• Locked thread