Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Use the goddamn ballista against The Pursuer :argh: loving noobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

EightBit posted:

Except when he's dead. Then don't shoot the nice phantom that helped you out for no apparent reason. :(

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
No-man's warf is the worst area so far, so much enemies and so confusing.

I summoned one guy to help me, who runs through the whole place, killing almost all enemies. I had no idea where he even was most of the time. Then I suddenly get the mission accomplished message and he goes away. I thought it was all clear, but I have no idea where to go or what to do, stumble into an ambush and get killed when 3 of those double blade dudes pile on me. :(

At least I get the thread title now.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

EightBit posted:

Pfft, ballista. Me and one other phantom took him out together no probs, just got to dodge him well enough.

Although he was second guy I had to summon. The first immediately ran up that fallen pillar that juts out that has an ambush trap and promptly died. Like, dude made a beeline for it. :iiam:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Can some console guys tell me how much I need to worry about the Soul Memory system? I've been kind of hesitant on spending my souls on anything that doesn't contribute to direct progress, such as consumables. I don't want to buy a bunch of useless poo poo just for fun if its going to put me at a huge level deficit compared to the people I'm matched with.

All of the people I've talked to have just told me to ignore it. Just do whatever.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
As a mace wielding knight, what stats should i aim for, and in terms of importance?

Is adaptability really important for a melee class?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man why won't any summon me to fight The Rotten? I didn't see any summon signs down here so I thought I'd be nice and sun bro where it don't shine but nobody will take my help.

I did fine an area of the Gulch I missed though. Of course I fell off and died right away :cripes:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

EightBit posted:

My first co-op fight with the him ended in 3 seconds with me going to his right and getting batted off the side when I blocked a uncharacteristically early charge. I laughed for a minute straight because I could see the guy I brought with me doing what you are.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Is adaptability really important for a melee class?

Carzy important until you hit 20.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 26, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

reposting since someone asked like 15 pages ago, for you keyboard + mouse users:

get autohotkey, run this script --

#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2
~*LButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

~*RButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{u}
return

XButton1::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{h}
return

XButton2::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{w}
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{t}
return

h is my R1, u is my L1, t is my R2. that gets rid of input lag and lets you perform guard breaks / leap attacks. I do R2 attacks via keybd. enjoy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Metanaut posted:

No-man's warf is the worst area so far, so much enemies and so confusing.

I summoned one guy to help me, who runs through the whole place, killing almost all enemies. I had no idea where he even was most of the time. Then I suddenly get the mission accomplished message and he goes away. I thought it was all clear, but I have no idea where to go or what to do, stumble into an ambush and get killed when 3 of those double blade dudes pile on me. :(

At least I get the thread title now.

Where are you by? You should be one-shotting the enemies there by the time you go through. That place is brutal for early characters, most of the captain zombies can one-shot you and there's a trap every 10 steps. You get a pretty nifty reward for killing the boss though (pyromancy flame).

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

SirDan3k posted:

Carzy important until you hit 20.

As in, prioritize getting to 20 asap? Or just put most points into it

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
In No-Man's Wharf, once you get off the beach up at the first stair crossroad, if you go right you can find a Pharros Lockstone contraption that turns on a rather large hanging fire.

It was very helpful for me anyway. Still helps to have torch time available.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
By pure chance decided to go through Smelter melter's place again and the pursuer appeared. Man, poo poo is so easily missed.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I can't use my white soap stone. I just got it from Pate and I can't leave a sign near him, or anywhere else I've tried. I'm not human, but I don't think that matters. I can see phantoms of other players running around, blood stains, messages, and my messages continue to receive ratings... but I can't use my soap stone. I can't use it from my inventory and I can't equip it and use it as an item. I'm perplexed. I'm in a steam chat with two of my friends and they've tried leaving their marks in the same area I'm in and they can without any problem, also neither of them are human. I've tried restarting the game multiple times and nothing changes. Am I missing something or is something weird happening to my network/game/what-the-gently caress-ever?

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Did you burn a human effigy at the last bonfire? There would still be a buff icon under your health/stamina bars and that would block the soapstone (but also invaders).

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
So does anyone know where to get a 2nd Heide Knight sword? I burnt a dozen ascetics on the forest knight, and now I have a surplus of knightly pants and gloves, but no 2nd sword.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In the iron keep, there's a pharros door available early on after making a jump to the platform side with the zwei, all it does is release some pink water. Is this just to douse yourself in water for the fire pits?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have not burned a single thing since I started playing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Could it be that I'm in the Company of Champions?

edit: Yes this is it!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Are you sure your friends aren't using the small white soapstone? Cause I'm pretty sure you need to be human to use the regular one that Pate gives you, but its the small one you can use while hallow.

e: or not. Yeah the victor's stone disables online co-op play.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Wildtortilla posted:

Could it be that I'm in the Company of Champions?

edit: Yes this is it!

That's it. The CoC bumps you up in the invasion queue and removes the timer, disables co-op, and increases boss health.

On another note, it should be required to leave words of encouragement for skeletons

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

By pure chance decided to go through Smelter melter's place again and the pursuer appeared. Man, poo poo is so easily missed.

It's kind of a hallmark of the Souls series that there is some stuff you're just going to miss unless you have outside help or are just absurdly thorough (World/Character Tendency specific events in DeS, Great Hollow in DkS at the very least). If you really want a laugh, go look up how to get the Pickaxe in Dark Souls 2. There's a 99% chance you wouldn't figure it out, so don't feel shameful in looking (unless you want to avoid location spoilers).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Can you use homeward bone if there are friendly phantoms (PC or NPC) in game? I need to recover some souls from a boss fight without risk. (heh)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I'd say prioritize it because it changes the way combat flows and the longer you have to settle into it the better. However I'm a dex/str/whatever to weapons/armor min then reinforce kinda guy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Robot Randy posted:

That's it. The CoC bumps you up in the invasion queue and removes the timer, disables co-op, and increases boss health.

On another note, it should be required to leave words of encouragement for skeletons

Skeleton words is the best way to great message rating heals. I left a message by the shovel skeleton that said "play dead?" and its my second highest rated by a large margin.

The highest is a simple "This Place Again?" in front of the Gutters entrance. I think we all know why.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I'm pretty disappointed that the level design seems to be based on the fact that the player character is unable to go over obstacles no higher than his knee (despite being able to rocket up ladders at superhuman speeds).

So many waist high walls, ankle high rubble or a wooden boards sideways in a doorway that are just impossible to traverse.

Even the blacksmith suffers from this condition, asking you to bring him a key to his house when he is sitting under a window that is bigger than he is.

PS. Being in Company of Champions disables coop or something, whoever brought it up.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I have a horrible feeling I've ballsed up, I'm trying to fight Dragonrider and I haven't had enough souls to level up once yet. Oh and I annoyed that depressed knight guy because I hit him a few times while I was fighting those three pig things, so now he attacks me on sight. I might start again.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 26, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What do you guys think would give more utility in terms of spell casting, 50 FTH or 30 INT AND 30 FTH? The latter's more expensive in terms of souls but the extra weapon buffs, etc, seem like they'd serve me well in the long run than 'just' extremely powerful lightning.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

I have a horrible feeling I've ballsed up, I'm trying to fight Dragonrider and I haven't had enough souls to level up once yet. Oh and I annoyed that depressed knight guy because I hit him a few times while I was fighting those three pig things, so now he attacks me on sight. I might start again.

He was my first boss and I'd put all of one point into dex for the bow so you're fine.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Yeah, I was all "I think I'll go help people fight the iron golem boss...and what's that giant cloud forming in the middle of the arena?"

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

You mean you started the game with that area and haven't been able to level up or what?

Killing two or three of those knights at that point should do the trick. The knights are prob easier to deal with than normal hollows because of how slow and predictable they are.

But uh, if you annoyed some NPC so early I think you should just start over? Afaik, this game also has the pay 300000000000000000000000000000 souls to remove npc hostility mechanic. It's a scam.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

I have a horrible feeling I've ballsed up, I'm trying to fight Dragonrider and I haven't had enough souls to level up once yet :(

Did...you just run past everything? The big guys on the way there should give you more than enough in one go.

poptart_fairy posted:

What do you guys think would give more utility in terms of spell casting, 50 FTH or 30 INT AND 30 FTH? The latter's more expensive in terms of souls but the extra weapon buffs, etc, seem like they'd serve me well in the long run than 'just' extremely powerful lightning.

If you level both faith and intelligence you can use hexes, which are some of the most powerful things I've run into as a caster. And late in the game, lightning miracles have been a lot more useful/damaging for me than sorcery (which 30 FTH is more than enough to get). You might also consider putting some into attunement so you can equip more spells/miracles/hexes at once - it will also slightly raise your agility too, which is very helpful. Basically leveling both INT/FTH will give you access to more stuff, so if you like variety that's probably the way to go.

Gortarius posted:

But uh, if you annoyed some NPC so early I think you should just start over? Afaik, this game also has the pay 300000000000000000000000000000 souls to remove npc hostility mechanic. It's a scam.

The amount you pay for a pardon is based on your level. Granted, by the time you find the guy you'll probably be way up there. I pissed someone off when I was pretty high level and he's asking 1,500,000 souls. :wtc:

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 26, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Get powerstance for your maces first. That's 18 str. The L1,L2 combo with powerstance maces is just absurd.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DrNutt posted:

Except when he's dead. Then don't shoot the nice phantom that helped you out for no apparent reason. :(

Unless you're the phantom, in which case keep firing! :v:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Robot Randy posted:

One thing I've discovered is that people really like messages about skeletons.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Noxville posted:

One thing I've discovered is that people really like messages about skeletons.

Yep, (un)living or dead. My message about skeletons isn't even a joke but a genuine warning and it still gets rated the most out of any others I think.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 26, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gortarius posted:

I'm pretty disappointed that the level design seems to be based on the fact that the player character is unable to go over obstacles no higher than his knee (despite being able to rocket up ladders at superhuman speeds).

So many waist high walls, ankle high rubble or a wooden boards sideways in a doorway that are just impossible to traverse.

Even the blacksmith suffers from this condition, asking you to bring him a key to his house when he is sitting under a window that is bigger than he is.

I think doing it this way allowed it to be easier for the designers to make a world that's completely interconnected, and geographically accurate.

If you could climb/jump legend of zelda style, think of how many places would need to be totally redesigned to prevent insane sequence breaks.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 26, 2014

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

Yep, (un)living or dead. My message about skeletons isn't even a joke but a genuine warning and it still gets rated the most out of any others I think.

My highest rated on PC so far is one outside the Huntsman Copse boss saying 'skeleton ahead and then skeleton ahead', which is pretty accurate too.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Should I use my XBox controller, or is KB + mouse fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Rabid Llama
Aug 19, 2003

Donkey PUNCH

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Apologies if you already realize this, but you do know that you have to talk to the lady in the green hood and cape to level up, right? Like, until you get a menu option to level up - the "by the power of the emerald herald" message isn't it. The first level up only costs ~800 souls.

I only ask because it's incredibly stupid that the game doesn't lead you to that more directly, especially for a "more accessible" game :(