Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How viable are miracles as your only school of magic now? They were kind of crap in Dark Souls because the miracles weren't great; I'd like to know if they made miracles (especially offensive ones that don't rely on getting a high covenant rank) good enough to use like sorcery.

Miracles so far have been overpowered as poo poo for me unless I happen to be fighting a Minotaur in the Shaded Ruins. gently caress those assholes. What do you even do about them as a Cleric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where can I get normal titanite shards? I know what enemies to kill to get large ones but I need normal ones to upgrade basic equipment, but haven't seen an enemy drop one.

EDIT: The backstab detection in this game is so loving lovely. Its sad how much online play favors cowering behind a shield due to the i frames of rolls not working at all.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 27, 2014

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

God drat Iron Keep. It doesn't help that the area before it was a chump area with chump bosses and enemies.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
In order to avoid potential spoilers reading thru the thread (sorry!) I gotta ask if there's any real loss to understanding plotlines/story/etc on by not playing the first one.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Where can I get normal titanite shards? I know what enemies to kill to get large ones but I need normal ones to upgrade basic equipment, but haven't seen an enemy drop one.

Dudes with the hammers in harvest valley drop them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Miracles so far have been overpowered as poo poo for me unless I happen to be fighting a Minotaur in the Shaded Ruins. gently caress those assholes. What do you even do about them as a Cleric.

drat it, it's really tempting to just stay at 16 str/12 dex and use faith as my primary stat, then. Especially since it'll scale the fire and lightning damage on weapons.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Volt Catfish posted:

I have no idea. They seem rather resistant to dark, magic and fire as well.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anything in the room after the boss in no mans wharf besides the thing that you examine to get to the next zone I clicked that first and I hope I didn't miss anything.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Reason posted:

Is there anything in the room after the boss in no mans wharf besides the thing that you examine to get to the next zone I clicked that first and I hope I didn't miss anything.

There's a chest with a pyromancy glove in it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Snazzy Frocks posted:

In order to avoid potential spoilers reading thru the thread (sorry!) I gotta ask if there's any real loss to understanding plotlines/story/etc on by not playing the first one.

You should be ok.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Alkydere posted:

I have no idea. They seem rather resistant to dark, magic and fire as well.

You hit them with your weapon instead of wussy magic stuff.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You might miss a few nods in the early game, but the further you get, the more it diverges. Keep going! Play the first one later.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In case anyone was wondering, poison mist is still terrible for PvP. The casting animation is way better but the effect doesn't work fast enough to do anything.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This has probably been asked and answered before, but I'm too afraid of spending too much time in this thread in case of spoilers, so:

Is there a way to bring up a more detailed description of items while browsing through them in the item box screen? I wouldn't mind being able to see their stat requirements, etc. without having to place them in my inventory every time.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
At 466,417 soul memory I'm not getting as many hits at Belfry. Where should I go to find more good pvp?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

straight jerkers posted:

You hit them with your weapon instead of wussy magic stuff.

I am hitting them with my weapons. I've got fire and dark swords.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I completely missed the way to Forest of the Giants and went through Heide's Tower of Flame all the way to No Man's Warf

gently caress those pirate rear end holes and their creepy Dark Stalker room mates. This is my first time playing a Souls game, and it felt like my dick was in a vise the whole way through.

Anybody else made that mistake?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

KirbyKhan posted:

I completely missed the way to Forest of the Giants and went through Heide's Tower of Flame all the way to No Man's Warf

gently caress those pirate rear end holes and their creepy Dark Stalker room mates. This is my first time playing a Souls game, and it felt like my dick was in a vise the whole way through.

That is a Dark Souls tradition.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KirbyKhan posted:

Almost. Tried to get through the big knights and kept getting smushed so I ran back and looked for a different way.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Also apparently homeward bones count lighting a bonfire as "resting" even though it doesn't reset health/estus or anything. Ughhhh x2

If you're going for a No Bonfire run, lighting a bonfire/using a Homeward Bone will not invalidate you from getting the ring. You just have to be extremely careful as to when you light said bonfires, as you can only make each one your "checkpoint" once.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Where do I go after Lost Sinner?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

DoctorStrangelove posted:

If you head back towards on the path to Things Betwixt from Majula. You can see another path to take instead, that is eventually blocked by a statue. You can now un-petrify this statue. I'm sure their are others paths of course, just the one I'm on.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

UP AND ADAM posted:

That is a Dark Souls tradition.

There is good reason why :darksouls: exists. I am really loving this game a lot, I just got my mace and am ready to bash a fool in the face. I think I may actually like this more than DS1, but they're both great. Don't be put off by the difficulty, just always expect a dude to be sneaking up behind you.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

When you enter Majula from Things Betwixt, there's a path to your left which leads to a petrified person. Free them with the Fragrant Branch of Yore you obtained. Alternately, talk to Licia at the weird contraption which led you to Heide's Tower of Flame. Or head down the Magical Majulan Pit of Wonders.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any particularly awesome boss soul weapons for strength builds?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ANYWHERE!

More seriously, if you have a branch of yore you can go through the path that the petrified lady holding onto a lever is blocking. Or if you talked to the miracle lady in Heide's tower of flame until her lines were exhausted you can talk to her and take the alternate path that leads to Iron Keep. Or you can jump down the hole.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Just read some metacritic reviews to see why the user score there is so low and my lord. The game runs flawlessly for me but there are a bunch of people screaming about it being a 'broken port'. Anyone know why this is? One of the major complaints is that the game is bad with a mouse and keyboard? It isn't really meant to played that way (despite them trying to make m&kb more accessible).

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Is there anything in particular that can be done to pull more people into your rat den? I killed one guy and then got bored and left before any more showed up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

If you mean the Lion Warriors, they have extreme resistance to all magic but they only have one attack, it only swings once, and they're vulnerable to backstabs. Either get one hit after every swing or move in and get a backstab after the swing.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

So I took like 5 steps into Belfry Luna and got invaded by two people at once and then lagbackstabbed to bits. Is it always that ridiculous?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I decided to go bellbro it up at the Belfry Luna and drat, pretty much everybody I faced doesn't realize that the guard break actually does break their guards.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I just got this and holy crap are the keyboard controls awful. And what's with there being 360 button prompts all over everything? Is there anyway I can play this with a PS3 controller, cause that's all I have?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, so. I defeated the first boss and opened the door across the bridge over fire. However, I wasn't aware that smashing chests turns the stuff inside onto rubbish. I was doing it because I love smashing stuff. What was in there? Hopefully nothing important.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Some of the bonfire intensity 2 and NG+ phantoms are in mean places. I like the exploding mummy phantom chilling under the water's surface in Sinner's Rise, right before the staircase that's clear on intensity 1.

Ariong posted:

Okay, so. I defeated the first boss and opened the door across the bridge over fire. However, I wasn't aware that smashing chests turns the stuff inside onto rubbish. I was doing it because I love smashing stuff. What was in there? Hopefully nothing important.

Depends on how important weak but constant healing for the cost of a ring slot is to you.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

KirbyKhan posted:

I spent an hour despairing about how hard those giants were and went around throwing myself off of cliffs until I stumbled onto a path I hadn't killed myself on yet, in true :darksouls: fashion.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
gaaaaaah, I cannot upgrade to the Claymore, I just can't. It only has three attacks compared to the Bastard Sword's four attacks with 120 stamina - I MUST be able to attack three times and still be able to dodge, without having to stop and catch my breath. :argh:

Guessing the claymore's damage shits all over the bastard sword at higher upgrade levels though?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

So I took like 5 steps into Belfry Luna and got invaded by two people at once and then lagbackstabbed to bits. Is it always that ridiculous?

Yes, it's invader central so far. I was there recently and wanted to quit my game for the night but couldn't since I kept getting invasion after invasion after invasion.

Also assisting a host with serious lag is just crazy. I can't get over fighting bosses that are basically stuck in their animation for about 10 seconds and then suddenly register like 2000 damage.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 27, 2014

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is this game more mouse/keyboard friendly? I got the first one without checking and haven't wasn't able to get very far in it due to the horrid controls.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Elysiume posted:

If you examine the thing after the Flexile Sentry before getting the loot, it immediately (without a confirm) plays the cutscene and kicks you off of the boat. Ughhhh

You can get back on the boat afterwards to get the loot.

Ariong posted:

You really should only hit wood chests once to check for Mimics, no more or you'll break everything. That chest in particular had a ring of regeneration (as in HP regeneration).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: The backstab detection in this game is so loving lovely. Its sad how much online play favors cowering behind a shield due to the i frames of rolls not working at all.

The blacksmith-looking enemies in Harvest Valley/ Earthen Peak have pretty reliably dropped them for me.