Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Samurai Sanders posted:

How is he going to defend himself on this one anyway? He'll say it was out of context I assume, but what will be the context?

He's going to call the woman of color a gold-digging liar.

The Clippers posted:

We have heard the tape on TMZ. We do not know if it is legitimate or it has been altered. We do know that the woman on the tape -- who we believe released it to TMZ -- is the defendant in a lawsuit brought by the Sterling family alleging that she embezzled more than $1.8 million, who told Mr. Sterling that she would “get even.” Mr. Sterling is emphatic that what is reflected on that recording is not consistent with, nor does it reflect his views, beliefs or feelings. It is the antithesis of who he is, what he believes and how he has lived his life. He feels terrible that such sentiments are being attributed to him and apologizes to anyone who might have been hurt by them. He is also upset and apologizes for sentiments attributed to him about Earvin Johnson. He has long considered Magic a friend and has only the utmost respect and admiration for him--both in terms of who he is and what he has achieved. We are investigating this matter.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/clippers-respond-donald-sterling-rant-699168

e: Notice how they carefully avoid saying "Sterling didn't say this" only to cast doubt on the woman and claim that it "doesn't reflect his views".

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's even worse considering that there are exactly three not black players on the Clips roster.

Strike that Matt Barnes is black, too. The other not black guy is Turkish, so there is one white person on that team.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 26, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

How is he going to defend himself on this one anyway? He'll say it was out of context I assume, but what will be the context?

Donald Sterling has never given poo poo #1 about other people's opinion of him. Everyone knows he's a bigoted fuckstick, and he couldn't possibly care less. All of this will amount to nothing; he's unlikely even to bother with a tepid PR apology.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's even worse considering that there are exactly three not black players on the Clips roster.

Strike that Matt Barnes is black, too. The other not black guy is Turkish, so there is one white person on that team.

White dude getting rich off the backs of black workers is rip-roaring racist? Yep sounds about right

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mooyashi posted:

If you follow US politics you can't waste time measuring more than two ingredients. Two ounces of gin over ice, top with tonic water.

gently caress that, I just write "wisky sour" with a comically backwards 's' onto a bottle of straight bottom-shelf vodka.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I haven't heard this, could you provide an article tailored to dummies or sum it up?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140316132801.htm

Short version: When you have a colony of living things, if they come under attack, they have ways to communicate what is happening so the others in the colony can fight it off. The macro example would be how trees release a chemical if they get infected with dutch elm disease, which triggers the rest of the trees in the area to start secreting chemicals that make them resist the fungus. The micro example are bacteria - when they start getting destroyed, they release chemicals that get the others to start reacting (Here is a TED talk explaining it better). Manuka honey has properties that "jam" the signal, so the rest of the bacteria don't start reacting. The honey then wipes out all of them.

quote:

Honey may also disrupt quorum sensing, which weakens bacterial virulence, rendering the bacteria more susceptible to conventional antibiotics," Meschwitz said. Quorum sensing is the way bacteria communicate with one another, and may be involved in the formation of biofilms. In certain bacteria, this communication system also controls the release of toxins, which affects the bacteria's pathogenicity, or their ability to cause disease.
Meschwitz, who is with Salve Regina University in Newport, R.I., said another advantage of honey is that unlike conventional antibiotics, it doesn't target the essential growth processes of bacteria. The problem with this type of targeting, which is the basis of conventional antibiotics, is that it results in the bacteria building up resistance to the drugs.
Her couching it in "may" is because her findings need to be peer reviewed and replicated. She found it does, but she is being a good scientist and not overhyping it until it is confirmed.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This post could really do with links. Last news I'd heard about abortion was that Albuquerque beat back the 20-week ban that would have closed one of the only late-term abortion clinics in the country. Given that you're talking about the west here did the pro-life/anti-abortion activists get the last laugh?

Also I hadn't heard the latest news on the unionization of the Northwestern players.

EDIT: Other possibly relevant news items include Supreme Court rulings, FCC's rule making legalizing pay-to-play on the Internet, possibly a heads-up on the next round of budget battling (Ryan vs. Progressive proposal vs. what's actually likely)

It might also be worth doing a roundup of the Republican 2016 candidates too (Don't forget to mention Jeb)

Any Seattleites have any Kshama Sawant news?

Oh, and you might want to expand the Boehner vs. Republican thing into a "the state of immigration reform" paragraph.

Abortion: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/14/america-s-abortion-free-zone-grows.html
Fortunately since this article the judges kicked the North Dakota bill to the curb.
The :unsmith: there was that in North Dakota, Republican state senator Stanley Lyson flipped his vote because

quote:

During this last legislative session while I was testifying in front of a committee, state Senator Stanley Lyson didn’t ask a question, didn’t say a word until the vote. Then he stood up and said to the floor: I originally signed on to this bill because I thought it was a good idea. But I see now what the true intent is, and I will not be a part of sending women back to the back-alleys. I will not vote for any other bill designed to get rid of that clinic.

He’s a retired sheriff, and pre-Roe, he once drove a woman to the hospital with a hanger sticking out of her. But he is a Republican, he is anti-abortion, and he was one of the main sponsors of the bills because somebody sold him on the idea that this was going to ensure women’s health.
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/health/abortion-north-dakota-tammi-kromenaker

By the way, Cosmo is doing some outstanding abortion/contraception/women's health reporting these days. After 2012 and seeing Republican's speak their minds on women, the editors (largely women) decided to draw a line in the sand and have started going HAM on the topic, aggressively recruiting women (and particularly PoC women) who are reporting and writing on the topic to write and report for them on it. Cynically, its because you can't sell "12 weird sex tips he'll love!" if you are living in The Handmaid's Tale, but really it is more the women running the show there realized this is a fight to the knife and are pushing back.

Northwestern: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/25/world/northwestern-players-union-vote/
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ootball-players

And yeah, I could do more on the rest of the topics, but I was responding quick and dirty and hungry while I waited for my brother to come meet me for lunch

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Can I get your sources on this? I completely believe you on both accounts, but I'd really like to read up more just for my own comprehension.

Well mostly it is reading the Climate Change thread (lol Arkane) but Vox did a good summary here: http://www.vox.com/2014/4/22/5551004/two-degrees

I misremembered the book name, it is Global Crisis. It is about the little ice age of the 1600s. The short version is the real danger from climate change is not the environment changing on us, it is how we react to the climate changing. When resources get scarce, people get mean. The famines kicked off a shitload of wars and revolutions, which in turn created disease pandemics and more famines, which lead to more wars and revolutions, etc etc etc. There is every reason to believe this will be the case with further climate change. As drinking water in south east asia becomes more scarce, do you think it is more likely we will see a concentrated global effort to save human lives by building massive distilleries and infrastructure to make ocean water potable and transport it, or do you think you are going to see China lock up the headwaters to save their people and everyone else flip their poo poo in response as they try to save their people? HINT: everything sucks, look at how the great lakes states have their treaty banning transporting water to the south east, Georgia voting to annex part of Tennessee to get access to the river, and realize that is us fighting in one country, people in different countries with a few hundred years of hating each other will be worse.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mooyashi posted:

If you follow US politics you can't waste time measuring more than two ingredients. Two ounces of gin over ice, top with tonic water.

That's far too many, for American politics drink straight out of the bottle until the pain goes away.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That's far too many, for American politics drink straight out of the bottle until the pain goes away.

I fear that may only happen if you're drinking methanol.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

mooyashi posted:

This man knows what's up.

In minor GOP news, Utah's mostly stuck with incumbents over crazier people, a bit disappointing (to me) but what can you do?

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2014/04/26/utah-gop-convention-preliminary-results/

Oh, and for shits and giggles, Oregon's beleaguered website has been dissolved in favor of known failure of a website, Healthcare.gov:

http://www.cruxialcio.com/oregon-ditch-troubled-state-exchange-healthcaregov-6834

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 27, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140316132801.htm

Short version: When you have a colony of living things, if they come under attack, they have ways to communicate what is happening so the others in the colony can fight it off. The macro example would be how trees release a chemical if they get infected with dutch elm disease, which triggers the rest of the trees in the area to start secreting chemicals that make them resist the fungus. The micro example are bacteria - when they start getting destroyed, they release chemicals that get the others to start reacting (Here is a TED talk explaining it better). Manuka honey has properties that "jam" the signal, so the rest of the bacteria don't start reacting. The honey then wipes out all of them.

Her couching it in "may" is because her findings need to be peer reviewed and replicated. She found it does, but she is being a good scientist and not overhyping it until it is confirmed.

That's neat. :unsmith: Now we just need to stave off the colony collapse disorder. :smith:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Fried Chicken posted:

Klansman who shot 3 people had previously worked with the police as part of the Greenesboro Massacre in 1979

Just so the OP isn't suicidally depressing, you should include this lighter note.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

SumYungGui posted:

...but, but, market liquidity! Price discovery! Meaningless buzz words!

Nessus posted:

Liquidity means it's easier for me to move it around, and price discovery means I just discovered there's a price for doing it!

He actually discusses how pro-HFT groups use buzzwords to confuse others and love to say they add liquidity to the market. That is complete bullshit. HFT never actually takes a position in the market. At the end of the day the HFT firms don't hold a position. They're just front running actual investors and acting as a tax on capital and the SEC isn't going to do a goddamn thing about it partly because this particular loophole is a result of an SEC regulation taking effect.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Fried Chicken posted:

Lots of military hardware is being shipped out from bases in the Carolinas on rail, akin to what was happening in 2002 back when Bush hadn't even brought up invading Iraq in public yet. (Watching the trains near the big bases is a great and under reported way to track what is going on with out military positioning well before it becomes part of the public discussion) We will be getting involved somewhere, smart money is we are reinforcing NATO/backing up the Ukraine

I apparently haven't been paying enough attention to the Ukrainian crisis, what in the actual hell. No seriously.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

He actually discusses how pro-HFT groups use buzzwords to confuse others and love to say they add liquidity to the market. That is complete bullshit. HFT never actually takes a position in the market. At the end of the day the HFT firms don't hold a position. They're just front running actual investors and acting as a tax on capital and the SEC isn't going to do a goddamn thing about it partly because this particular loophole is a result of an SEC regulation taking effect.
Can you explain that one? I'm curious, and I mostly perceive advanced finance as a sort of ZARDOZ-esque destroyer-god.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well the whole point of HFT is to attempt to gain any advantage you can, rather than any sort of long term strategy.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Nessus posted:

Can you explain that one? I'm curious, and I mostly perceive advanced finance as a sort of ZARDOZ-esque destroyer-god.

It's pretty simple, really. Traders are mostly in NY, but for whatever reason exchanges are located in NJ. Trades are either submitted over the internet or leased lines. HFT scammers setup an exchange right at the bottleneck and offer a few shares of whatever people are selling on other exchanges. When someone buys them, they snap up all available shares at the other exchanges and re-list them higher.

It works because traders send trades to all the exchanges at the same time, but messages take time to travel at light-speed. The HFT leeches make sure they have a single-fiber no-buffer path from the canary exchange to all the others, so that their reaction to a trade can make it before a less-optimally routed buy order can.

The solution to it was ingenious - find the exact time it took to reach each exchange, and delay messages such that they hit all of them on the same millisecond.

But yes, it's straight-up theft and they're making millions a day doing it.

Edit: The non-technical explanation is they found a "legal" way to get advanced warning of nearly all transactions so they can buy and instantly resell the stock for a small profit. This is also why their arguments of "but but but liquidity!" are a complete joke - the trades would always have gone through without HFT getting in and taking a cut.

Harik fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 27, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Harik posted:

Traders are mostly in NY, but for whatever reason exchanges are located in NJ.=

9/11 dude, that simple.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mdemone posted:

Donald Sterling has never given poo poo #1 about other people's opinion of him. Everyone knows he's a bigoted fuckstick, and he couldn't possibly care less. All of this will amount to nothing; he's unlikely even to bother with a tepid PR apology.

Pretty much. You almost have to respect that compared to his 'peers' of racist pieces of poo poo who go 'woah woah woah when I said black people are lazy and slavery was good I meant...'. Like if a dude is gonna call me a human being or a gyppo or whatever I'd rather him just own it instead of telling me how actually I'm a big wrong baby for thinking he was saying that when he totally was.

Just turn into the skid, he can't be forced out for being a racist piece of poo poo unless he starts abusing players or whatever, he has no reason to play the coy 'oh no see I'm a 'race realist' and I was talking about the culture...' game that a politician does. Everyone who follows NBA knows Sterling straight up hates black people and is at best tepid about other assorted minorities, he doesn't have any further to fall.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pretty much. You almost have to respect that compared to his 'peers' of racist pieces of poo poo who go 'woah woah woah when I said black people are lazy and slavery was good I meant...'. Like if a dude is gonna call me a human being or a gyppo or whatever I'd rather him just own it instead of telling me how actually I'm a big wrong baby for thinking he was saying that when he totally was.

Just turn into the skid, he can't be forced out for being a racist piece of poo poo unless he starts abusing players or whatever, he has no reason to play the coy 'oh no see I'm a 'race realist' and I was talking about the culture...' game that a politician does. Everyone who follows NBA knows Sterling straight up hates black people and is at best tepid about other assorted minorities, he doesn't have any further to fall.
So the NBA doesn't really care about this, they are just going through the motions of investigating him?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Increasingly I wonder if the number of people who both follow politics here and are teetotalers could fit into a compact car, with enough extra room in the back for a big dog.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The hilarious thing about that tape is that Sterling's racism isn't even the least appealing aspect of his character on display. It's the mewling, whining way he threatens to kick his girlfriend to the curb. "This is just so sad, we've made a mistake. I don't even feel like going to Europe...you're supposed to be a pure Latina girl" :qq:

:stare:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cabbit posted:

Increasingly I'm wondering if the number of people who both follow politics and are teetotalers on this forum could fit into a compact car, with room for a dog in the back on the roof.
Fixed this for you.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
I don't drink, but I do smoke a probably unhealthy amount of weed to cope with it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm having fun, posting on the internet. That's my anti-drug.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Fried Chicken posted:

I misremembered the book name, it is Global Crisis. It is about the little ice age of the 1600s. The short version is the real danger from climate change is not the environment changing on us, it is how we react to the climate changing. When resources get scarce, people get mean. The famines kicked off a shitload of wars and revolutions, which in turn created disease pandemics and more famines, which lead to more wars and revolutions, etc etc etc. There is every reason to believe this will be the case with further climate change. As drinking water in south east asia becomes more scarce, do you think it is more likely we will see a concentrated global effort to save human lives by building massive distilleries and infrastructure to make ocean water potable and transport it, or do you think you are going to see China lock up the headwaters to save their people and everyone else flip their poo poo in response as they try to save their people? HINT: everything sucks, look at how the great lakes states have their treaty banning transporting water to the south east, Georgia voting to annex part of Tennessee to get access to the river, and realize that is us fighting in one country, people in different countries with a few hundred years of hating each other will be worse.

You know, I read this thread because I expect the climate change thread to stay where it is. I come here to get depressed about politics. I go to the climate thread to get depressed about the climate.

Cabbit posted:

Increasingly I wonder if the number of people who both follow politics here and are teetotalers could fit into a compact car, with enough extra room in the back for a big dog.

I'm driving that car (if only because I'm still not drinking age)

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 27, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Samurai Sanders posted:

So the NBA doesn't really care about this, they are just going through the motions of investigating him?

There's not a ton they can do, it's a he said she said thing and even though we all know he's a shithead you really can't fire someone for at worst treating his girlfriend like poo poo. If he starts abusing his guys or whatever then there are venues to go after him but yea the investigation is basically a kabuki thing of the NBA going 'not cool dude' and him going 'whatever'.

I imagine the NBA cares about it, having a dude on the brand that basically every fan knows is a cartoonish bigot isn't great, but they don't have a ton to do to him.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

On Terra Firma posted:

Honestly if a GOP rep sent ham to every muslim in their district that would pretty much solidify the tea party vote in their favor forever no matter what their leanings were before.

Honeybaked and Godiva. Middlebrow overly marketed mass produced garbage.

EDIT: Not that I would turn up my nose at either but much better stuff is available at the price point from producers that don't spend money opening retail stores and buying television commercials.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Harik posted:

It's pretty simple, really. Traders are mostly in NY, but for whatever reason exchanges are located in NJ. Trades are either submitted over the internet or leased lines. HFT scammers setup an exchange right at the bottleneck and offer a few shares of whatever people are selling on other exchanges. When someone buys them, they snap up all available shares at the other exchanges and re-list them higher.

It works because traders send trades to all the exchanges at the same time, but messages take time to travel at light-speed. The HFT leeches make sure they have a single-fiber no-buffer path from the canary exchange to all the others, so that their reaction to a trade can make it before a less-optimally routed buy order can.

The solution to it was ingenious - find the exact time it took to reach each exchange, and delay messages such that they hit all of them on the same millisecond.

But yes, it's straight-up theft and they're making millions a day doing it.

Edit: The non-technical explanation is they found a "legal" way to get advanced warning of nearly all transactions so they can buy and instantly resell the stock for a small profit. This is also why their arguments of "but but but liquidity!" are a complete joke - the trades would always have gone through without HFT getting in and taking a cut.

That's a pretty clever little scam. If the solution is known, why can it still happen?

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Fried Chicken posted:

Drink of the Month
Clynelish 14 Year Old. A Highland single malt, goes for $45-60 depending on your local prices. A sipping scotch, not for getting hammered in response to bad news. For that, this link will help

So I got this for my sister as a birthday present and she is extremely pleased. Thanks, D&D!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Install Windows posted:

9/11 dude, that simple.

True. The thing that threw me was the fact that there were dozens of exchanges, all trading the same stock. I thought NYSE listed stocks had to be on the NYSE exchange before I read about HFTs.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Pope Guilty posted:

That's a pretty clever little scam. If the solution is known, why can it still happen?

Because the people who make the rules make a lot of money off of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Inglonias posted:

I'm driving that car (if only because I'm still not drinking age)

That never stopped me

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

forbidden lesbian posted:

That never stopped me

Ok, that and when I went to Italy and tried some wine, I couldn't stand the stuff. Tastes far too bitter for my wussy palette (didn't help that it was red wine).

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Pope Guilty posted:

Because the exchanges make money selling HFT's the access and info. As far as they are concerned there is absolutely no problem here. This is why that pro-shareholder exchange opened in Canada.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Lots of military hardware is being shipped out from bases in the Carolinas on rail, akin to what was happening in 2002 back when Bush hadn't even brought up invading Iraq in public yet. (Watching the trains near the big bases is a great and under reported way to track what is going on with out military positioning well before it becomes part of the public discussion) We will be getting involved somewhere, smart money is we are reinforcing NATO/backing up the Ukraine

By the by, I just saw the video for this. It's interesting to note, but I'd want to make sure mentioning this isn't going to turn into InfoWars-style Pollyanna-ing (especially considering that "recommended videos" include movement of materiel in 2010 and 2011 when no new major actions occurred.)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm assuming that at this point the investment houses all time their trades so that HFT doesn't work against them, but a brokerage doesn't give a poo poo if a smalltime investor has to pay a few extra cents. There's also the matter of kickbacks - while in a sane world an exchange would charge for transactions, in the HFT world the trader is the product and they get paid to trade there - the money is made selling access to those trades faster than they can reach the other exchanges.

NYTimes longform article on it. It's the new-journalism conversational tone, I like the style, others hate it.

Fried Chicken posted:

Abortion: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/14/america-s-abortion-free-zone-grows.html
Fortunately since this article the judges kicked the North Dakota bill to the curb.
The :unsmith: there was that in North Dakota, Republican state senator Stanley Lyson flipped his vote because

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/health/abortion-north-dakota-tammi-kromenaker

By the way, Cosmo is doing some outstanding abortion/contraception/women's health reporting these days. After 2012 and seeing Republican's speak their minds on women, the editors (largely women) decided to draw a line in the sand and have started going HAM on the topic, aggressively recruiting women (and particularly PoC women) who are reporting and writing on the topic to write and report for them on it. Cynically, its because you can't sell "12 weird sex tips he'll love!" if you are living in The Handmaid's Tale, but really it is more the women running the show there realized this is a fight to the knife and are pushing back.

And yeah, I could do more on the rest of the topics, but I was responding quick and dirty and hungry while I waited for my brother to come meet me for lunch

Speaking of abortion: Florida decided on a twofer - possibly criminalizing miscarriage in one case, and putting a fuzzy line of "fetal viability" without a set gestational age, to make sure that doctors don't risk getting close to that line. Given his uphill battle against Crist, I don't see Scott vetoing an anti-abortion law.

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 27, 2014

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Blindeye posted:

This man knows what's up.

In minor GOP news, Utah's mostly stuck with incumbents over crazier people, a bit disappointing (to me) but what can you do?

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2014/04/26/utah-gop-convention-preliminary-results/

They did get rid of the "carbon is good for the environment" guy though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I just finished Flash Boys today and I have to say, it's a really lovely book. Lewis leaves cliffhangers at the end of chapters that he only vaguely answers mid-paragraph in the epilogue and the dialogue is so over the top (even by Michael Lewis standards) that you
get the impression that few of the scenes in the story actually happened. For a 270 page book there's also about 50 pages of unrelated story, everything from women's bike clubs to the mystery of a ringing phone in the office that is left unresolved. I question whether he even has an editor at this point. If you're going to read it, go for the audiobook version or just read the summaries and articles linked here.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Inglonias posted:

Ok, that and when I went to Italy and tried some wine, I couldn't stand the stuff. Tastes far too bitter for my wussy palette (didn't help that it was red wine).

I've never found a taste for wine, but beer and hard liquor are great alternatives. Also the point is to get drunk, not enjoy the taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Any Seattleites have any Kshama Sawant news?

There is a PNW thread in D&D that serves as the one-stop-shop for the hot hot socialist councilmember news. But the short of it is that SA is heading up a pre-planning conference for the May 8th-15th protests, and Sawant is passing the hat to cover campaign financing debt that has to be cleared up before the end of the month.

• Locked thread