Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
The Chariot fight and the path leading to it is as obnoxious as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BastardySkull posted:

Just read some metacritic reviews to see why the user score there is so low and my lord. The game runs flawlessly for me but there are a bunch of people screaming about it being a 'broken port'. Anyone know why this is? One of the major complaints is that the game is bad with a mouse and keyboard? It isn't really meant to played that way (despite them trying to make m&kb more accessible).

The game currently doesn't work over HDMI connections, that's the big one that's pissing a lot of people off. It means it can't be played on HDTVs essentially, which is what quite a few were planning on doing.

It's fair to say it could be ported better, because to judge it as a port you'd have to have the console versions which means access to the HDTV which means most of these guys can't use their existing DS2 setup anymore. Understandable grievance really.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 27, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HellCopter posted:

Yeah, the story this time around is a hell of a lot looser than in Dark Souls. It suffers for it; you never really feel like you know where you are or why.

I spent some time reading about it and besides a few bits here and there, it seems like things don't tie together nearly as neatly as DS1 did. Which was already pretty loose with things.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Kimmalah posted:

You need two more souls from "old ones" (Lost Sinner and Old Iron King are the first two). One is eventually accessed by getting the lady who sells miracles (Licia) to change the path that leads to Heide to a different path. The other is accessed by going down the pit in Majula. I'd recommend doing the former thing first, as that way you will find an NPC who can build you ladders into the pit so you don't kill yourself jumping.

You don't have to keep the any of the other boss souls, but you can trade them with certain NPCs for items so you might want to hold on to them until you're sure you don't need any of the stuff you can get for them.

Thanks. I've done both of those things, but apparently I need to keep going on each. I was hoping that the second one was optional, because it reminds me of Blighttown and I hated Blighttown.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I get summoned into a world, and suddenly the game lags so hard enemies aren't dieing and you can't tell what the gently caress you're hitting. I use all my estus, get sent back by the wolrd master, now I'm sitting with 1 sliver of health and no estus haflway through the level.

Cool.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wish that when people summon dudes to help with a boss they just hang back and let the shade handle it. I was helping with sinner and the host decides since they got two other people there they can just go nuts and not worry about blocking or dodging. Sinner is super easy to fight but it's a lot harder when I keep bumping into the host.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I just realized you can be summoned to someone else's game even while a human.

:getin: Time to get like a billion million souls.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I just realized you can be summoned to someone else's game even while a human.

:getin: Time to get like a billion million souls.

There's diminishing returns if you get summoned for the same boss over and over :(

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Are these loving Sentinels suppose to be this hard. I keep summoning jerks and they keep getting their faces pushed in by these three.

edit: about to blow a god drat gasket on these fucks.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 27, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Overbite posted:

There's diminishing returns if you get summoned for the same boss over and over :(

Yeah but getting sunbro medals has become very easy now.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mimetic posted:

Thanks. I've done both of those things, but apparently I need to keep going on each. I was hoping that the second one was optional, because it reminds me of Blighttown and I hated Blighttown.

Basically you need to keep going until you hit an area called Black Gulch. The area boss is what you're looking for there.

And I'm sorry, I told you the wrong thing before. I just realized since you hit Iron Keep you've already gone that way. :doh: You actually need to un-petrify the woman that's blocking the path to that other area you get to from Majula and head to Shaded Woods. Most of them are dead ends, you need to go through a really foggy area after the second bonfire. Sorry I gave you the wrong directions before!

Also when you're in the foggy area, head towards the left boundary for a cool NPC ally/gesture. :)

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
This was the worst impulse buy ever. Crashes at startup. Whitescreen. Not a single one of the workarounds posted on the steam forums has had the slightest effect. Weak.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Stringbean posted:

Are these loving Sentinels suppose to be this hard. I keep summoning jerks and they keep getting their faces pushed in by these three.

Not killed them either yet, but it seems doable. I always stay on the first ledge to kill the lone sentinel, then drop down with my phantom bros to fight the other two in typical Souls fashion.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

This was the worst impulse buy ever. Crashes at startup. Whitescreen. Not a single one of the workarounds posted on the steam forums has had the slightest effect. Weak.

It's probably because you're playing over HDMI.

HDMI doesn't work for this game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So i tried invading for the first time ever. Host already had a white shade (of course), and i had to walk like 3 minutes to even get to where they were.

I tehn proceeded to nail the ~15% HP white shade twice in the face with the Greatsword, and he took no damage at all. Flinched and pushed back, but no damage.

The one hit i got on the host went through, though. So what, invaders can only harm the host now? The deck's ridiculously stacked against invading in this game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is there any detailed info on how the name-engraved ring works? Will it extend soul level/soul memory ranges? Or does it basically just filter signs by the god you pick?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Will a dualshock 4 work with DS2? I downloaded that driver, and windows will recognize the device, but nothing happens when I run the game. Help?

the dualshock 4 has native PC drivers but Dark Souls like a lot of other modern games only supports Xinput, which is for Microsoft controllers. You'll have to download third party software like DS3Tool or x360ce to emulate Xinput.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cowcaster posted:

Is there any detailed info on how the name-engraved ring works? Will it extend soul level/soul memory ranges? Or does it basically just filter signs by the god you pick?

SM or SL as I like to call it works with like 1 to 3 ranges of SM.

Engraved ring makes it work up to 5 levels above SM. Also yeah you are more likely to see someone's sign of the same god more quickly than others.

I forgot where I put it (the sheet), but yeah SM has basically 50 levels and your SM level changes every 10,000 souls you obtain.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's probably because you're playing over HDMI.

HDMI doesn't work for this game.

DVI. Tried both ports. Tried HDMI. Tried two different monitors. Etc, etc. If you've got any ideas that aren't in here, I'm all ears.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah but getting sunbro medals has become very easy now.

Yup, I've been farming a boss in the copse area just getting non-stop summoned as a sunbro. Gonna have 30 medals in no time. Decent souls at the start, too.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
Is there a shortcut to Flexile Sentry? I haven't tried fighting him yet but he seems like a pain to reach, want to make sure I'm not missing something. I did open up the gate past all of the demons/Gavlan, but that seems like quite a hike still.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Frocious posted:

Is there a shortcut to Flexile Sentry? I haven't tried fighting him yet but he seems like a pain to reach, want to make sure I'm not missing something. I did open up the gate past all of the demons/Gavlan, but that seems like quite a hike still.

There's a door you can open that helps to some extent, but I don't know if I'd call it a shortcut.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

No sun touches the rat kings domain.

Sup rat king buddy?

I've been hanging out in the second area. I got it fully kitted out and I don't even do anything half the time. I just let the player deal with my friends. Half the time they die to the first thing they see, without my intervention. That one wasn't even put there by me, it came with the place, so they must just be having a hard time with the game or something.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Is there a ring that lowers durability loss? Because I'm just playing with a Fire Whip as my main weapon, and it only has 40 durability.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is there a way to see the people you've played with recently a la GFWL? Also, does anyone have a link to a good STR/FAI build?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Got invaded for the first time and I hate it already. So begins a streak of neverending losses just like in the first Dark Souls. :sigh:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Frocious posted:

No, that's about it. Still a bit of a hike. The only way to make it easier is to use a Pharos contraption so you can keep all the long-armed demon dudes from attacking you in the open.

Ice_Mallet posted:

Is there a ring that lowers durability loss? Because I'm just playing with a Fire Whip as my main weapon, and it only has 40 durability.
Yes there is. Well, it reduces the rate.

The dumb thing is the maces are technically the best weapons in Dark Souls 2 because any important enemy is armoured, and most mace/hammer whiffs don't hit the ground and cost you durability.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

Sober posted:

No, that's about it. Still a bit of a hike. The only way to make it easier is to use a Pharos contraption so you can keep all the long-armed demon dudes from attacking you in the open.

Well that's a pain. I fuckin died too. On that note: aren't I supposed to be able to summon that lady I met by the bonfire? How do I summon a Sunbro? I did it a lot in the first games, but I haven't seen a single summon sigil up to this point.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Is there a way to see the people you've played with recently a la GFWL? Also, does anyone have a link to a good STR/FAI build?

Steam, "View" - "Players"

Has anybody had 2v2s yet? I'm bell keeping and I've never gotten a second bell keeper if the host had a phantom with him.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Frocious posted:

Well that's a pain. I fuckin died too. On that note: aren't I supposed to be able to summon that lady I met by the bonfire? How do I summon a Sunbro? I did it a lot in the first games, but I haven't seen a single summon sigil up to this point.

You're not burning your effigies in the bonfires are you? That will lock out summons/invasions for x amount of time in-game. Other than that, same deal as the first, you have to be human to summon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sober posted:

Yes there is. Well, it reduces the rate.

The dumb thing is the maces are technically the best weapons in Dark Souls 2 because any important enemy is armoured, and most mace/hammer whiffs don't hit the ground and cost you durability.

Not quite. Great Club is better. You can oneshot most lesser enemies, take out virtually everything weaker than a boss with two 2handed r2s, and take out bosses in no time at all.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

Sivek posted:

You're not burning your effigies in the bonfires are you? That will lock out summons/invasions for x amount of time in-game. Other than that, same deal as the first, you have to be human to summon.

Right, but where are the summons located? Wherever the buddy puts it down or are there certain areas? I ate an effigy right outside of the Flexile fog door, for instance, and didn't see anything at all.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Stringbean posted:

edit: about to blow a god drat gasket on these fucks.

In one of the cells before the boss there's an NPC summon named pilgrim something, he's pretty good.

I've never had any trouble with the Sentinels and here's what I do: At the start of the fight stay on the ledge and fight the dude up there. The other guys won't aggro you until that one dies. If he falls off just wait and he'll jump back up. Circle around him counter clockwise, it's easier that way.

When he's dead make sure your health is topped off and fall off the ledge. You'll take damage so heal it fast. The Pilgrim guy can do some good damage by himself so try and focus on the one he's attacking. As melee, keep your shield up and circle around, making sure that you can see both on the screen at the same time. It's all about knowing exactly when to attack, like if they both just attacked you can smack one of them and then back up. If one jumps in the air make sure you walk to the side because it's gonna try to land on you. They can also throw their shields once which means they can't block anymore.

It's all about knowing when you can attack. Sometimes you're gonna be circling around for a bit just waiting, so be patient. If you think you have enough time to get one smack in, do it. Don't try for more than one hit.

Once there's one left then it's really easy. Circle around counter clockwise, block it's attacks, then hit it when it's in recovery.

Like I said I've never had trouble with them so good luck.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Frocious posted:

Well first make sure you're human not hollow and not in the Champions Covenant. :v:

Otherwise, Lucatiel's summon sign is next to the chain you use to open that metal gate by the house with the two archers on it. The only way I've found to get to it is to go up on that cliff where the big long armed black things are. If you look, there should be a wooden ledge below it somewhere (kind of hard to see). I dropped down on to it, went through the building and out to get to the chain.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 27, 2014

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Frocious posted:

Right, but where are the summons located? Wherever the buddy puts it down or are there certain areas? I ate an effigy right outside of the Flexile fog door, for instance, and didn't see anything at all.

They're whenever they're set down. Maybe you're having some type of online connection problem because you should be seeing tons of summon spots basically around every bonfire and boss door.

Are you in the Champion's Convenant maybe? That locks out summons and is accessible right at the beginning of the game. You might have mistakenly joined it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Genocyber posted:

Not quite. Great Club is better. You can oneshot most lesser enemies, take out virtually everything weaker than a boss with two 2handed r2s, and take out bosses in no time at all.
Well I just meant pretty much everything that does strike damage seems to be better (i.e. all the maces and hammers) than ... well any other weapon, all things equal.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Finally able to watch the giantbomb DS2 videos and the part where that one boss swallows and spits him out without anything equipped, amazing.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So. I'm in Shaded woods now. I'm at the woman scorpion caster, and I know I've missed something. Someone summoned me and went into the boss and was able to have the male scorpion as an assist. Where do I even begin to find that?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Are there stats breakpoints that start causing massive diminishing returns like in Dark Souls 1?

I'm convinced that all these people I keep seeing walking straight off of cliffs and piers are using the KB and Mouse. No can really be this uncoordinated.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

Sivek posted:

They're whenever they're set down. Maybe you're having some type of online connection problem because you should be seeing tons of summon spots basically around every bonfire and boss door.

Are you in the Champion's Convenant maybe? That locks out summons and is accessible right at the beginning of the game. You might have mistakenly joined it.

I'm not. I did find the one for the NPC, but she fell behind and landed in some deep water or something. I have seen two other ones, but they both failed. If anyone wants a medal or something put down a sigil right before you get on the boat and I'll try and hit it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Powerstance clubs seem to do more damage than great clubs and generally kill or stun anything tough in one L1, L2 combo.