Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Please don't feed your children poo poo like boxed Mac and cheese and pretend that it's okay or cheaper to do so because you're tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Please don't feed your children poo poo like boxed Mac and cheese and pretend that it's okay or cheaper to do so because you're tired.

I'm kind of with Scientastic on this one, but I don't think people are claiming that. It seems limited to cake mix.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nicol Bolas posted:

This really touches a nerve with me, because you are making GBS threads on my mom and my stepdad. They are both really good cooks. They are both very educated. Hell, my stepdad went to culinary school. But planning for and feeding a family of four out of fresh stuff is kinda difficult and time-consuming and expensive. They could and did overcome the difficulty regularly (huge pots of chick pea curries, mashed potatoes, dinner-of-recombined-leftovers) but they did not have the time or the money to do it more than once or twice a week. My after-school job in high school bought us fresh vegetables when it had to. All of us would have preferred to have a lovingly cooked meal made of fresh ingredients. Don't tell me that my parents were lovely or under-educated for not being able to have the money or the time to cook for us. They knew how. They couldn't, most of the time. When they could, I learned from them. When they couldn't, I still learned from them, which sometimes just means figuring out how to salvage lovely prepackaged whatever into something halfway decent. When I gently caress up a recipe, that knowledge has served me just as well as the knowledge of blooming my spices in oil for a curry, or how to make a roux.
It's the nutrition that concerns me more. I don't really care if kids eat boring-tasting food. If I started getting most of my calories from EZ Mac my performance in every aspect of my life would go down the toilet.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 26, 2014

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Manuel Calavera posted:

Besides Scientastic, some pre-made cakes are bitchin. Are you saying you can outdo a real bakery? :smug::smugdog::chord:

I make some poo poo-tastic cake mixes and some excellent cake mixes.

I even make some all natural, organic, non-gmo verified, fair trade cocoa mixes.

All depends on what you want as a customer and if you want $0.99 a box Dunken Heinz knockoff or if you want a mix covered in buzzwords that costs a fuckton.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 30, 2018

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I got called out on saying this before, but I'll say it again. Ghirardelli boxed brownie mix makes the most delicious brownies. And I've made brownies from scratch using other recipes, none of them are ever as good.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's clear I'm in the minority here, so I'll just shut up. I enjoy making cakes from scratch, and I don't see the point in buying a pre-made mix, but maybe I am conflating mushroom soup mix terribleness with something that isn't as bad. I still won't be using cake mix, but I will stop sneering at those who do.

I might go and make a Victoria sponge now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I'd argue that it's definitely cheaper. Show me a recipe for homemade mac and cheese that is cheaper than a 99 cent box.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I'll go out on a limb and say that macaroni and cheese shouldn't be the main portion of a meal for children (or anyone) at all, but even without making the argument about future healthcare costs from a childhood of eating nutritionally deficient, carb/fat/empty calorie convenience foods, it's been shown over and over and over that calorie-dense, nutritious meals can be made on the cheap with proper budgeting, cooking what's in season or on sale and developing a pantry of staples.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We're looking at it from two completely different standpoints. If you compare homemade mac and cheese to kraft, homemade will always be more expensive.

If you compare kraft mac and cheese to simply saying 'a meal', then yeah, I'm sure you could find something cheaper. Rice/beans is probably more nutritious and cheaper than kraft.

If you go a step further and compare the health insurance costs of someone who eats a box of kraft mac and cheese for every meal vs. someone who eats nutritionally dense meals, then yeah, there's a whole different answer.

/shrug

Goons sperging about sperging in this thread.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Do you have kids?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Cimber posted:

Do you have kids?

How is that at all relevant?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

How is that at all relevant?

Its a simple question, do you have children? +

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Well, as a mother I...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought we were just talking about cake.

But yeah, in a two working parent household (or single working parent), kids will sometimes have crappy meals. And yet, they somehow live.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My mother made dinner from scratch every night, with a protien, a vegetable and a starch. Every meal.

The food was terrible, and probably not much more nutritious than box mixes. Mom is just a poo poo cook. Scratch cooking in and of itself doesn't guarantee any kind of quality.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EVG posted:

I got called out on saying this before, but I'll say it again. Ghirardelli boxed brownie mix makes the most delicious brownies. And I've made brownies from scratch using other recipes, none of them are ever as good.

I'll back you up on this. I used to pride myself on my scratch made brownies, but the Ghirardelli brownies are insanely good. Really good quality chocolate. And when they go on sale at CostCo, its cheaper then scratch.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'll back you up on this. I used to pride myself on my scratch made brownies, but the Ghirardelli brownies are insanely good. Really good quality chocolate. And when they go on sale at CostCo, its cheaper then scratch.

I like the Baked brownie recipe (made with TJ's dark chocolate bars) better than the Ghirardelli mix. http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/10/08/the-baked-brownie/

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone wringing their hands over the nutrition in box mixes needs to go take a look in the steak thread where people put butter on a giant hunk of red meat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nicol Bolas posted:

Anyone wringing their hands over the nutrition in box mixes needs to go take a look in the steak thread where people put butter on a giant hunk of red meat.

Most things are improved by butter.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's how you make sauce for your steak, right?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Man I work a week of 16 hr days and I come back to this? Gonna chill out and make some chili. Now, where are my beans...

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Vegetable Melange posted:

Man I work a week of 16 hr days and I come back to this? Gonna chill out and make some chili. Now, where are my beans...

LOL, nicely done troll sir, nicely done.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought we were just talking about cake.

But yeah, in a two working parent household (or single working parent), kids will sometimes have crappy meals.

Not in my house they don't.

But then I don't serve cake, either.

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

EVG posted:

Trader Joe's has a store brand of brownie mix that you add like, eggs and butter to, and nothing else, and it is amazing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Y'all know the secret to good cake isn't the ingredients, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's my wedding anniversary, and my wife and I are at Giuseppe's, the only really "nice" place about town. It's so old school, I'm about to chow down on veal oscar for dinner.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
wow this thread over the past couple days...

In Asheville for Moogfest, drinking inordinate amounts of wine with my buds, saw Kraftwerk, ate at a place run by a Jose Andreas pupil, all is right with the world.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

EVG posted:

I agreed with you 100% until I decided to start buying good cocoa (I use it rarely enough it's little added expense) and made this recipe. If the description sounds good, give it a try.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mindphlux posted:

saw Kraftwerk

There's only so many times I can hear stuff like this without coming to the conclusion that I've made all the wrong choices in life.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear gods, I hate finals week. Whatever. It's not until Wednesday that the bleeding starts, so I can bear up a bit. It's just that in my Microbiology class, I'm feeling woefully out of my depth. 90%+ of this course has been more or less a cakewalk, and lots of fun to read up on. However, after mastering the intricacies of the immune system (which was really kind of cool to learn, because it's all so elegant, ESPECIALLY the complement proteins), the last chapter is anitmicrobial drugs. I can get behind learning the mechanisms for how they effect bacterial cells, or viral cells. Integrase/Replicase/Protease inhibitors are really cool to learn about. Beta-lactams, no problems. However, there are endless lists of the drugs to memorise, and categorise, and that poo poo's tedious as gently caress. I hate memorising endless lists of facts.

I can even get behind memorising lists of words for the medical terminology course, because it's all information I can use for all the science courses. Human Anatomy, I'm down with, because fair enough. I'm glad that there are medications out there. That's cool. I just hate having to memorise them all.

Anyways. I invited my classmate over for a study session. We've been studying together all semester, and she's one of the few people as pumped up about this stuff as I am. So since she was going to be coming for lunch time, I offered to make lunch. I said I could make pasta, or some Indian food. She said she's cool with whatever, and that she likes spicy food, so I went the Indian food route. Made a pot of rice, some daal, and this eggplant dish with cumin seed, urad daal, a boat load of onion, some curry leaves, and dried red chilies. It came out rather well! I don't even /like/ eggplant, but this one was rather nice. I used that skinny long eggplant they sell at the asian grocery store.

So after eating lunch, she was like, "If I could eat like this all the time, vegetarian would be really good. I've literally never had a meal that was all vegetarian, and I completely forgot that you are until we just mentioned it a minute ago." I know where it was coming from, and thought it was such a sweet thing to say. :)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Currently in a gastropub that does whiskey flights. I've never been happier.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Kraftwerk still making music? How old are they by now? :psyduck:
Musique Nonstop indeed.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I agreed with you 100% until I decided to start buying good cocoa (I use it rarely enough it's little added expense) and made this recipe. If the description sounds good, give it a try.

What cocoa do you buy? We always use Penzey's Dutch process cocoa. It may be that I just had bad scratch recipes. :) It took me a long time to realize that ATK, while informative and entertaining, is not always going tone perfect (despite them pretty much claiming that).

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
speaking of cocoa, I found a cocoa mole rub mi in my cabinet this morning. Anyone have an idea what I can make with it?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

EVG posted:

What cocoa do you buy? We always use Penzey's Dutch process cocoa.

I like Valrhona.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Scientastic posted:

There's only so many times I can hear stuff like this without coming to the conclusion that I've made all the wrong choices in life.

I saw GWAR in 2006. Dave Brockie is dead now. I'm not even gonna gloat, because the fact that he's gone is too sad for everyone who never got to see them.

Dude lived an awesome life, though.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I saw Anal oval office :smugdog:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sjurygg posted:

I saw Anal oval office :smugdog:

How is Mrs. Pr0k?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

Is Kraftwerk still making music? How old are they by now? :psyduck:
Musique Nonstop indeed.

No, of course not. They're smart enough to have just ridden their original work off into the sunset.

The show was loving awesome though, they just played their hits live/improvisey and had a giant projector screen doing some 3D visuals and stuff. An audience full of dudes in white 3d glasses with them onstage in tron suits was mostly surreal.

They ended with musik nonstop too ^~^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Scientastic posted:

How is Mrs. Pr0k?

Meh, she's gay.