Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

DSauer posted:

Are there stats breakpoints that start causing massive diminishing returns like in Dark Souls 1?

Yes. It's generally around 40 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

DSauer posted:

Are there stats breakpoints that start causing massive diminishing returns like in Dark Souls 1?

I'm convinced that all these people I keep seeing walking straight off of cliffs and piers are using the KB and Mouse. No can really be this uncoordinated.

Did this once while heading out trying to get some breathing room and walked straight off the edge. That'll teach me to not carry a torch.

Also: http://puu.sh/8oVGQ.jpg This is where I'm at. Please tell me I don't have to go to those green caves. I hate those caves.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So. I'm in Shaded woods now. I'm at the woman scorpion caster, and I know I've missed something. Someone summoned me and went into the boss and was able to have the male scorpion as an assist. Where do I even begin to find that?

I've never seen that myself but if you go to Majula and buy the whisper ring from the cat and talk to the male scorp dude in shaded woods that you missed maybe you can summon him for the fight? I talked to him after I beat that boss and he's like "so, you killed her". Maybe?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

So. I'm in Shaded woods now. I'm at the woman scorpion caster, and I know I've missed something. Someone summoned me and went into the boss and was able to have the male scorpion as an assist. Where do I even begin to find that?

Alright so...
Before you go find him, back to Majula and buy the Whipser Ring from Shailquor. You need this to talk to the NPC. Alright so from the Shaded Wood bonfires, you know how you see those curse lions and the huge rear end basilk? Make a left past the curse jar that is nearby and there should be an opening which has a bunch of curse jars, and walk down stairs and you should see a huge opening. He's down there. Don't attack him. Equip the Whisper ring and exhaust his dialogue option and his summon sign shows up at the boss door. If he dies during the fight, you gotta go rest at a bonfire for him to respawn back at his orginal location.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So on my 3rd cracked red eye orb i finally got a host solo, on the No Man's Wharf. (I haven't reached a farther area yet.) We kinda danced around each other, both with the Greatsword, but he also had a tower shield against my no shield. I nailed him with the Run+R1 twice, but he just healed back up.

... I kinda forgot that hosts can still heal during an invasion, haha.

I then switched to the Fire Longsword instead and 2hand poked him to death after i aited out his 2 massive swings that left him without stamina to dodge.

First token of spite. gently caress yeah, i still got it. :smug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

The male scorpion is in a sandy pit in Shaded Ruins. You need the Ring of Whispers from the cat in Majula to actually speak to him though. Exhaust his dialogue and you can summon him.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Stringbean posted:

Are these loving Sentinels suppose to be this hard. I keep summoning jerks and they keep getting their faces pushed in by these three.

edit: about to blow a god drat gasket on these fucks.

Everybody is really bad at fighting them but they're optional and don't take you to any kind of progress.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Frocious posted:

I'm not. I did find the one for the NPC, but she fell behind and landed in some deep water or something. I have seen two other ones, but they both failed. If anyone wants a medal or something put down a sigil right before you get on the boat and I'll try and hit it!

There are tons of summon signs near any boss or bonfire right now. Either you're not fully human/hollow or you have a network issue. Or you're way under/over-leveled for the area.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

nftyw posted:

Did this once while heading out trying to get some breathing room and walked straight off the edge. That'll teach me to not carry a torch.

Also: http://puu.sh/8oVGQ.jpg This is where I'm at. Please tell me I don't have to go to those green caves. I hate those caves.

Hate to break to you, but yeah gotta. Did you at least find the 2nd bonfire for the green cave?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Everybody is really bad at fighting them but they're optional and don't take you to any kind of progress.

Just a warning: You will encounter them again later, just not as a boss fight.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's probably because you're playing over HDMI.

HDMI doesn't work for this game.

I keep hearing this, but I've played over HDMI from the very beginning and have had zero problems. :shrug:

So I just finished fighting Executioner's Chariot and The Bone Lords. The first one was an agonizing challenge as the two phantoms I summoned died in that horribly gimmicky first phase, and I had to power through the second phase which had pumped up health and a horrible hitbox. After that I went into the second all scared, and it turned out to be probably the easiest boss fight I've ever had in a Souls game. It just seems like such a disparity for two bosses that are more or less separated by nothing more than a left/right fork.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the game so far. Honestly my only problem is that it seems like nobody is really invading yet, so my Blue Sentinel's ring and cracked blue orbs are worthless. :v:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't managed to get past the first set of POISONED!! yet. I think next time I will just yolo run past everything and sweat the toxin off provided I don't die horribly along the way [i will].

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Not really sure what to do in this game. These loving small pigs killed me, and I only have half my max hp, how do I turn back into a human? Also this stupid boss on top of these twoers is owning me

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fuuuuuck, I hate this Soul Memory system. Why do they make the restrictions so tight when this game is so nonlinear? Sitting outside the boss door for BONE CHARIOT :byodood: waiting for a summon but nobody is picking me up. Its probably because I did the Gutters before this place and thus am out of the level range.

nftyw posted:

This ares is not NEARLY as bad as it looks. I mean its awful and horrible but its incredibly small. You only need to work your way past the first part once, because there is a bonfire right next to the boss door. So chin up, carefully work your way down the toxic road and look for the messages to find the bonfire. From the bonfire you can run straight to the boss door in about 10 seconds.

VVV I do have the ring.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 27, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

nftyw posted:

I haven't managed to get past the first set of POISONED!! yet. I think next time I will just yolo run past everything and sweat the toxin off provided I don't die horribly along the way [i will].

Get a few life gems to counter the poison. Popping two/three of them counters the poison effect.

edit: Get the name engraved ring. It extends the SM range at least by two levels. That may not seem alot but considering SM level is based on how many souls you acquired, it's actually pretty decent.

edit: Maybe place your summon sign somewhere else? You'd be surprised how many people fall off that bridge. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 27, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's probably because you're playing over HDMI.

HDMI doesn't work for this game.

I'm playing over HDMI and its working just fine?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Internet Kraken posted:

Fuuuuuck, I hate this Soul Memory system. Why do they make the restrictions so tight when this game is so nonlinear? Sitting outside the boss door for BONE CHARIOT :byodood: waiting for a summon but nobody is picking me up. Its probably because I did the Gutters before this place and thus am out of the level range.

I was in the same position but I had to put the game down for today because I was getting angry.

quote:

Not really sure what to do in this game. These loving small pigs killed me, and I only have half my max hp, how do I turn back into a human? Also this stupid boss on top of these twoers is owning me
Use human effigy, not at bonfire

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Use human effigy, not at bonfire

I think the default advice for 'how to get human/ all my health back' should be the small white soapstone. Way better method!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

WYA posted:

LEAVE THE PIGS ALONE.

Leave the pigs alone.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

pmchem posted:

I think the default advice for 'how to get human/ all my health back' should be the small white soapstone. Way better method!
I've never used that item before. What does it do?

Also the pigs are too powerful for you to handle right now WYA.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WYA posted:

Those small pigs are murder. :argh:

And yeah, use a Human Effigy from your inventory. You can turn human anywhere as long as you have Effigies in your inventory. Burning them at a bonfire (like humanities in DS1) has an entirely different function.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Splurgerwitzl posted:

I've never used that item before. What does it do?

Also the pigs are too powerful for you to handle right now.

Small whitesoap stone is basically for summoning. Considering you don't need to beat a boss for duty to fulfilled, it is a quick way to get back to being human.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

If I'm a TREMENDOUSLY HUGE WEENIE OF UNSPEAKABLE SHAME can I cheese my way through the Belfry Luna by chucking a human effigy in a bonfire?

NOT THAT I'M GOING TO but it'd be a good fallback strategy depending on how insanely bad I get butchered in there.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ruin sentinels are so easy I don't know why people have trouble with them. White phantoming is detrimental IMO because their HP skyrockets. Just upgrade a mace and demolish them one by one, their attacks are so slow you have days to roll away from them.

That fight is all about waiting for them to do one of their big dumb attacks that leave them wide open for several seconds and getting in some hits, then repeat. Just don't get greedy and it should be cake. USE A MACE because they have basically 0 blunt damage resist.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

Ruin sentinels are so easy I don't know why people have trouble with them. White phantoming is detrimental IMO because their HP skyrockets. Just upgrade a mace and demolish them one by one, their attacks are so slow you have days to roll away from them.

That fight is all about waiting for them to do one of their big dumb attacks that leave them wide open for several seconds and getting in some hits, then repeat. Just don't get greedy and it should be cake. Also use a mace because they have basically 0 blunt damage resist.

It's because people fall. :v:. It's fine when it's just one. But if you fall?

Three of them.

Yeeeeeeah.

Also if you really wanna destroy them? Powerstance the maces. It staggers the poo poo out of them with the L2 combo (aka strong shield attack button)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

That fight is all about waiting for them to do one of their big dumb attacks that leave them wide open for several seconds and getting in some hits, then repeat. Just don't get greedy and it should be cake. Also use a mace because they have basically 0 blunt damage resist.

I got my face mashed a few times because up until that point I had been rebelling against Dark Souls tradition and was two-handing a bastard sword at their asses.

One decent shield and a one-handed weapon later, dead ruin sentinels.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

White phantoming is detrimental IMO because their HP skyrockets. Just upgrade a mace and demolish them one by one, their attacks are so slow you have days to roll away from them.

Whoa, I was unaware that summoning white phantoms increased HP for enemies. How general is this? Boss only? That boss only? All enemies?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Cowcaster posted:

If I'm a TREMENDOUSLY HUGE WEENIE OF UNSPEAKABLE SHAME can I cheese my way through the Belfry Luna by chucking a human effigy in a bonfire?

NOT THAT I'M GOING TO but it'd be a good fallback strategy depending on how insanely bad I get butchered in there.
You can't; I've actually tried but it counts as a different location plus I'm sure since it's a PVP area, it doesn't apply.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Oh, that reminds me. I was summoned in for Ruin Sentinels, and the other summon was a sunbro with glowing red eyes. The sentinels stayed glued to him the whole fight, which makes the encounter pretty easy when he's armored to the teeth.

I assume that's a ring? (no need to tell me where it is)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Frocious posted:

Right, but where are the summons located? Wherever the buddy puts it down or are there certain areas? I ate an effigy right outside of the Flexile fog door, for instance, and didn't see anything at all.

Are you trying to bro it up for Fexile? The boat can move so any and all soapstone markings that are put on the boat are instead put on the pier connecting to the deck.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Oh, that reminds me. I was summoned in for Ruin Sentinels, and the other summon was a sunbro with glowing red eyes. The sentinels stayed glued to him the whole fight, which makes the encounter pretty easy when he's armored to the teeth.

I assume that's a ring? (no need to tell me where it is)

Yeah basically he put a ring on that lets enemies aggro on him more often. It's great when you want to be the turtle and let other people whack the boss.

Or for the NPC summons that you want to survive considering they get their rear end handed too. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ugh where the gently caress can I get more twinkiling titanite? The low durability on Pate's Spear is annoying as hell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bobnumerotres posted:

That fight is all about waiting for them to do one of their big dumb attacks that leave them wide open for several seconds and getting in some hits, then repeat. Just don't get greedy and it should be cake. USE A MACE because they have basically 0 blunt damage resist.

I got lucky and my two phantoms knew what they were doing. Also one of them was a sorcerer and just sat up on the first platform raining death. Embarrassingly, I had tried them before as a white phantom myself, and while backing away from the first one to heal, I walked right off the ledge and killed myself. I'm so sorry whoever summoned me. :negative:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

pmchem posted:

Whoa, I was unaware that summoning white phantoms increased HP for enemies. How general is this? Boss only? That boss only? All enemies?

Summoning phantoms doubles/triples boss health, it gives regular enemies a little more health but I mean little, like if they usually take 4 hits, with phantoms they'll take 5-6.

Bosses actually go down way faster when you're alone, unless you get lucky and summon someone who's overgeared as hell.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Ugh where the gently caress can I get more twinkiling titanite? The low durability on Pate's Spear is annoying as hell.

Depends on how far you are in. I would tell you but I don't think you are far. There is a method to getting techincally infinite number of them but unforunately it's way later in the game.

I think in game, you only find like 12 of those.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'VE SEEN SOME poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sydin posted:

I got lucky and my two phantoms knew what they were doing. Also one of them was a sorcerer and just sat up on the first platform raining death. Embarrassingly, I had tried them before as a white phantom myself, and while backing away from the first one to heal, I walked right off the ledge and killed myself. I'm so sorry whoever summoned me. :negative:

Oh! That's the other fun part about summoning. One of your phantom bros died? Boss still has an enormous health meter! Have fun!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

No, the bonfire connected to Belfry Luna is after the boss and the whole point of the Bellbros is to keep you from reaching that boss. Burning an effigy in the bonfire before the Belfry will not work (believe me I tried it).

Your only option really is completely disconnect from the internet and play offline. You'll still get invaded, but it will be by NPC guys who are easier to handle (and who stay up on the optional roof area).

Shindragon posted:

Depends on how far you are in. I would tell you but I don't think you are far. There is a method to getting techincally infinite number of them but unforunately it's way later in the game.

I think in game, you only find like 12 of those.

I assume it's what you're referring to, but Shrine of Amana is great for farming twinkling titanite.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I have become guardian of the bell... no one will touch my bell... go away... please dont make me do this... no, I cannot let you up there... sorry...sorry...

Death to all those who trespass.

I kept trying to take the ring off, so as not to be summoned. But it was just so quick, there's so many people up in this belltower that it wont let me take it off. I finally got it off between invasions to take a quick break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kimmalah posted:

No, the bonfire connected to Belfry Luna is after the boss and the whole point of the Bellbros is to keep you from reaching that boss. Burning an effigy in the bonfire before the Belfry will not work (believe me I tried it).

Your only option really is completely disconnect from the internet and play offline. You'll still get invaded, but it will be by NPC guys who are easier to handle (and who stay up on the optional roof area).

I assume it's what you're referring to, but Shrine of Amana is great for farming twinkling titanite.

Nope. :v:

That is a good place, there is another place though.