Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

vyelkin posted:

The Telegraph are saying, without quotes of course, that United's next manager will be told to win the league next season.

There's also some choice quotes from Rooney in there saying he wants Giggs to be the permanent manager. Do it, Glazers. You know you want to.

This 200m pound number. Does anyone really, truly believe that Manchester United, run by the Glazers, are going to go out and spend 200m pounds in a single transfer window after dropping 65m on Fellani/Mata this year? 265m+ on players in a 12 month period? Did City or Chelsea ever do that at the height of their buying frenzies? The whole thing sounds so absurd like a kid plugging his ears and screaming about how his dad is gonna beat up your dad, just you wait and see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

cheese posted:

This 200m pound number. Does anyone really, truly believe that Manchester United, run by the Glazers, are going to go out and spend 200m pounds in a single transfer window after dropping 65m on Fellani/Mata this year? 265m+ on players in a 12 month period? Did City or Chelsea ever do that at the height of their buying frenzies? The whole thing sounds so absurd like a kid plugging his ears and screaming about how his dad is gonna beat up your dad, just you wait and see!

Including player wages for the length of the contract, Arsenal-style, would help it be more realistic.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

cheese posted:

This 200m pound number. Does anyone really, truly believe that Manchester United, run by the Glazers, are going to go out and spend 200m pounds in a single transfer window after dropping 65m on Fellani/Mata this year? 265m+ on players in a 12 month period? Did City or Chelsea ever do that at the height of their buying frenzies? The whole thing sounds so absurd.

I wouldn't be surprised. The Glazers have to protect their investment, and United makes a ton of money. The better question is whether they'll be able to find 200m worth of good players in one transfer window.

I could see them going well over 100 because they're poo poo and need a lot of players.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Between summer 2009 and summer 2010 didn't City buy Dzeko, Toure, Silva, Balotelli, Milner, Kolarov, Tevez, Ade, Lescott, Santa Cruz, Barry, Johnson, Kolo. Transfermarkt says that adds up to 290m.

e: Chelsea spent 290m between Summer 03 and summer 04 on Duff, Crespo, Veron, Makelele, Mutu, Parker, Cole, Johnson, Bridge, Drogba, Carvalho, Robben, Cech, Alex, Kezman , Ferreira and Tiago.

Ravel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 27, 2014

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Ravel posted:

Between summer 2009 and summer 2010 didn't City buy Dzeko, Toure, Silva, Balotelli, Milner, Kolarov, Tevez, Ade, Lescott, Santa Cruz, Barry, Johnson, Kolo. Transfermarkt says that adds up to 290m.
Fair enough. Looks like their peak was 140m of that in the summer of 2009. Still, that was oil/monopoly money. The Glazers are used to making a big profit on United. Assuming United finish strongly (and its not crazy to think they take 7 points from Hull, Sunderland and Southampton) and are 6th or within a sniff, I can see the Glazers convincing themselves that Moyes was the problem and not opening up the wallet like that. Maybe if United were in 12th or something but not with European football in reach.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

cheese posted:

Fair enough. Looks like their peak was 140m of that in the summer of 2009. Still, that was oil/monopoly money. The Glazers are used to making a big profit on United. Assuming United finish strongly (and its not crazy to think they take 7 points from Hull, Sunderland and Southampton) and are 6th or within a sniff, I can see the Glazers convincing themselves that Moyes was the problem and not opening up the wallet like that. Maybe if United were in 12th or something but not with European football in reach.

By all accounts, Manchester United are just making a loving ton of money, and if the Glazers even remotely smart they'll allow the business to invest in the performance of the team. They're going to spend a shitton of money and its going to be awesome.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

blue footed boobie posted:

By all accounts, Manchester United are just making a loving ton of money, and if the Glazers even remotely smart they'll allow the business to invest in the performance of the team. They're going to spend a shitton of money and its going to be awesome.

We can just hope for a Spurs outcome but sadly I do not think that will be the case.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

T Fowl posted:

We can just hope for a Spurs outcome but sadly I do not think that will be the case.

It depends who is handed the money. I think van Gaal is a front runner because of his track record of putting world class combinations together. Its also why Giggs has no chance.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

corpuscollossus posted:

It depends who is handed the money. I think van Gaal is a front runner because of his track record of putting world class combinations together. Its also why Giggs has no chance.

Ed Woodward

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The dominant force in English football for the past 20 years would like its next manager to win the title? That's pretty out there and I'm glad to see the press taking risks like this

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I thought Woodward was Gill's right hand man and he had done a lot of Good Deals. Maybe it's different when you are actually in charge...

E: oh it was just commercial deals welp!

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

blue footed boobie posted:

I could see them going well over 100 because they're poo poo and need a lot of players.

They need a massive clear out a lot more than a massive bringing in. Imo three new signings and a gently caress load of players shown the door would be ideal.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Lot 49 posted:

They need a massive clear out a lot more than a massive bringing in. Imo three new signings and a gently caress load of players shown the door would be ideal.

Who do you want rid of?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
It seems most top managers these days come to a club, raid the transfer coffers and last about one to three years depending on how many trophies they deliver and/or how many other clubs want their services. Fergie was the PL's most prominent exception to the rule. ManU is his lovingly maintained classic car, and it's understandable that he doesn't want to hand over the keys to just any flashy European speed demon. He'd rather have someone he knows will take care in the curves and keep the paintwork spotless.

What Fergie seems reluctant to accept is that there's no room for that kind of thinking at the top anymore. ManU can't build a dynasty if the plastics start finding shinier replica kits elsewhere. You either splash out or settle for scraps – and the Glazers must know it as well. Sir Alex's philosophy was written off along with Moyes' contract.

Whatever United end up doing, they are probably in for some difficult times. Given their trophy cabinet it's hard to feel too sorry for them though.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Who do you want rid of?

Nani and Young

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

julian assflange posted:

Nani and Young

That's all?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Who do you want rid of?

One of Rooney or RvP.
All three of Valencia, Nani and Young.
Anderson.
A load of players that were punts as youngsters who obviously won't make it i.e. Macheda, Bebe, Petrucci.
No new contracts for Ferdinand, Evra or Giggs (as a player obv).
Also Hernandez will leave for first team football and although I don't want him to go United shouldn't stand in his way.

I think that's it.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I seem to recall Andersen sucking in his gut at some Italian medical during the window. Isn't he gone already?

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
He's on loan at Fiorentina but is so poo poo and injury prone he can barely get minutes in serie A.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lot 49 posted:

One of Rooney or RvP.
All three of Valencia, Nani and Young.
Anderson.
A load of players that were punts as youngsters who obviously won't make it i.e. Macheda, Bebe, Petrucci.
No new contracts for Ferdinand, Evra or Giggs (as a player obv).
Also Hernandez will leave for first team football and although I don't want him to go United shouldn't stand in his way.

I think that's it.

That's going to leave you with an incredibly tiny squad though. I just ripped this off wikipedia:

GKDavid de Gea
DFRafael
DF Phil Jones
DF Jonny Evans
MF Juan Mata
FW Wayne Rooney
DF Chris Smalling
GK Anders Lindegaard
MF Michael Carrick
FW Danny Welbeck
MF Tom Cleverley
MF Darren Fletcher
MF Shinji Kagawa
DF Alexander Büttner
DF Guillermo Varela
MF Marouane Fellaini
GK Ben Amos
MF Adnan Januzaj

You might have a shitton of money to spend but everyone will know you have to spend it - players won't come cheaply without European football, as we found out the past couple of seasons.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

corpuscollossus posted:

If they end up keen on Giggs maybe they can bring in a Director of Football with some experience/clout?

Note: I don't really know what a DoF does though it seems like neither does anyone else really

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Lot 49 posted:

It's not like you'll be in enough competitions to need the squad depth.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

They could have done with an Equalizer a few times this season.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
@EvilHawk. 18 players in that list. Add three news signings and then Zaha, M. Keane, Lingard, maybe Powell and I think that's plenty large enough for a team that won't be in Europe next season.

I expect they will have to pay a premium for players but as long as it's the right players that's fine by me. People were lolling at the rumours of £30m + 100k a week for Shaw the other day. That's definitely not value for money but United can afford it and if they are going to be overpaying for players anyway then they might as well make sure they are overpaying for quality players they actually need like Shaw.

Besides if they do a clear out even anywhere close to what I would like to see then they'll raise an okay amount in sales and be saving a fortune from their wage bill.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 27, 2014

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Lot 49 posted:

Besides if they do a clear out even anywhere close to what I would like to see then they'll raise an okay amount in sales and be saving a fortune from their wage bill.

not if they hand out six figure contracts like candy to punish players

also no one is paying anything for that dross

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

EvilHawk posted:

That's going to leave you with an incredibly tiny squad though. I just ripped this off wikipedia:

GKDavid de Gea
DFRafael
DF Phil Jones
DF Jonny Evans
MF Juan Mata
FW Wayne Rooney
DF Chris Smalling
GK Anders Lindegaard
MF Michael Carrick
FW Danny Welbeck
MF Tom Cleverley
MF Darren Fletcher
MF Shinji Kagawa
DF Alexander Büttner
DF Guillermo Varela
MF Marouane Fellaini
GK Ben Amos
MF Adnan Januzaj

You might have a shitton of money to spend but everyone will know you have to spend it - players won't come cheaply without European football, as we found out the past couple of seasons.

That's a squad of 18 Buy a left-back, central midfielder and probably an experienced centre-back as top priorities. Powell, Zaha, Henriquez (and others) back from loan could play a part as attacking cover. Then you're nearly at 25 which is pretty much a full squad.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Modus Trollens posted:

also no one is paying anything for that dross

They would though. Rodgers got Liverpool almost £30m when he hosed off their garbage like Carroll, Downing, Adams, Aquilani. You just have to forget about trying to make your money back and sell at like a 50% loss as soon as you get a sucker willing to buy.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lot 49 posted:

@EvilHawk. 18 players in that list. Add three news signings and then Zaha, M. Keane, Lingard, maybe Powell and I think that's plenty large enough for a team that won't be in Europe next season.

I expect they will have to pay a premium for players but as long as it's the right players that's fine by me. People were lolling at the rumours of £30m + 100k a week for Shaw the other day. That's definitely not value for money but United can afford it and if they are going to be overpaying for players anyway then they might as well make sure they are overpaying for quality players they actually need like Shaw.

I was going to say you won't win anything with a squad that small... but then I remembered how tiny our squad is and our position in the league. The difference with Liverpool is that the core of our squad stayed the same from last season to this - the only new players that came in to the first 11 were Sakho and Mignolet. Moyes/Giggs might have picked 52 difference squads this season but you're talking about getting rid of your first choice back four, a fair chunk of your wingers, and one of your two best strikers.

But who the gently caress knows what's going to happen next season.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
People didn't want to come to Liverpool because they had been poo poo for years and years AND weren't playing European football. Also nobody in Europe gave a gently caress about king Kenny and until February nobody gave a gently caress about Rodgers. That's why nobody wanted to join.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

julian assflange posted:

People didn't want to come to Liverpool because they had been poo poo for years and years AND weren't playing European football. Also nobody in Europe gave a gently caress about king Kenny and until February nobody gave a gently caress about Rodgers. That's why nobody wanted to join.
It hadn't been years and years, Liverpool were 2nd in the league 2009. The worst of that period's underwhelming signings was in summer 2010, so at that point they'd only been mid-table for one season. The rot can set in quite quickly if the appearance is a club on the decline and players don't think they can win a trophy there. Look at Milan and Inter, and how quickly they've been overshadowed by Napoli and Roma.

United have lost being the best prospect in the PL now, and Moyes would never have been able to get anyone this summer. Van Gaal will help that a lot, but the money will have to be spent very well because United's first choice striker will go to Chelsea, first choice DM to City, and they'll have to outpay Liverpool and Arsenal for the rest. They have money so it's pretty far from doom and gloom, but the jobs a lot harder because other clubs have more money AND more chance of success now.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Hoops posted:

United have lost being the best prospect in the PL now, and Moyes would never have been able to get anyone this summer.

What world do you live in?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

not not luvd posted:

What world do you live in?
I meant nobody would have come for the reason of playing under Moyes, not that Manchester United will be able to sign zero talented players. They've lost the prestige of the manager so money has to make up for that.

edit: Money that City has more of. Look at Van Persie, if Ferguson had retired one year earlier he'd be at City now

Hoops fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 27, 2014

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Mackems are staying up this season aren't they :(. They're finishing above Newcastle next season for sure

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Filthee Fingas posted:

Mackems are staying up this season aren't they :(. They're finishing above Newcastle next season for sure

The final game is against Swansea, if a Sunderland win puts Cardiff down then you'll find out what's welsh for "Oh Noooo"

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

EvilHawk posted:

GKDavid de Gea
DFRafael
DF Phil Jones
DF Jonny Evans
MF Juan Mata
FW Wayne Rooney
DF Chris Smalling
GK Anders Lindegaard
MF Michael Carrick
FW Danny Welbeck
MF Tom Cleverley
MF Darren Fletcher
MF Shinji Kagawa
DF Alexander Büttner
DF Guillermo Varela
MF Marouane Fellaini
GK Ben Amos
MF Adnan Januzaj

Look at the defence! Rafael, Evans, Buttner, Varela are dire and Jones & Smalling aren't progressing like they should and will likely be second fiddle to two new first choice centre backs.

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009
Remember when coming against Man U meant Ronnie Rooney and Tevez were running at you and Rio and Vidic were world class shutting down all your attacks? They're gonna do a spurs trying to fix that squad.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

aeverous posted:

Remember when coming against Man U meant Ronnie Rooney and Tevez were running at you and Rio and Vidic were world class shutting down all your attacks? They're gonna do a spurs trying to fix that squad.

Are you trying to say that Ashley Young isn't an apt replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo or Carlos Tevez? Or that Jonny Evans isn't of the same standard as Vidic or Ferdinand of a few years ago? Madness!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

James R posted:

Look at the defence! Rafael, Evans, Buttner, Varela are dire and Jones & Smalling aren't progressing like they should and will likely be second fiddle to two new first choice centre backs.
Varela just turned 21 and hasn't even appeared for the first team yet, well done on talking absolute bollocks

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Varela just turned 21 and hasn't even appeared for the first team yet, well done on talking absolute bollocks

When was the last time Man United had a defender progress from youth to first team and cement their place? Gary Neville?

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet they'll bring in new players and he'll end up at Hull as a 32-year-old journeyman who never quite made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

James R posted:

When was the last time Man United had a defender progress from youth to first team and cement their place? Gary Neville?

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet they'll bring in new players and he'll end up at Hull as a 32-year-old journeyman who never quite made it.

Jonny Evans? Who is very good and who I'd trust completely

• Locked thread