Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Senor Candle posted:

So I just started reading a lot of stuff I think you would classify as Seinen? For Urasawa I've finished Pluto and have the first three volumes of 20th Century Boys. From Tezuka I've got Dororo, Apollo's song, the first volume of Buddha(haven't read it yet), and I've read the first 4 or 5 of Black Jack. I'm not sure if these would be classified as Shonen or not but I've also got all of the Shigeru Mizuki books that Drawn and Quarterly put out, and have really enjoyed Showa: History of Japan and Onwards Toward Our Noble Deaths. I also picked up the first two volumes of Keiji Nakazawa's Barefoot Gen. I've been really enjoying reading about WW2 era Japan from the Japanese perspective. Do you guys have any recommendations of other manga based on that subject? Is this even the right thread?

Not the wrong place but try this thread with your request also:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791799

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

So I just started reading a lot of stuff I think you would classify as Seinen? For Urasawa I've finished Pluto and have the first three volumes of 20th Century Boys. From Tezuka I've got Dororo, Apollo's song, the first volume of Buddha(haven't read it yet), and I've read the first 4 or 5 of Black Jack. I'm not sure if these would be classified as Shonen or not but I've also got all of the Shigeru Mizuki books that Drawn and Quarterly put out, and have really enjoyed Showa: History of Japan and Onwards Toward Our Noble Deaths. I also picked up the first two volumes of Keiji Nakazawa's Barefoot Gen. I've been really enjoying reading about WW2 era Japan from the Japanese perspective. Do you guys have any recommendations of other manga based on that subject? Is this even the right thread?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kuroi-Ame-ni-Utarete

It is... kind of intense.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Oh that's the same guy who did Barefoot Gen. I'll try to track down some more of his stuff but the ones I got are from some publisher I've never heard of(Last Gasp).

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
So uh, what's up with this sequel to GTO? Brand new serialization? Mini-series?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

So uh, what's up with this sequel to GTO? Brand new serialization? Mini-series?

Cash grab.

Hey, one has to pay the bills (I hope it turns ok).

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Stumbled across this one called Sensen Spike Hills: The story of a pickpocket, a math prodigy, and a girl planning to steal the questions to the college entrance exams before they happen.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hey guys, remember this?

Silento posted:

This has a pretty interesting first (and second?) chapter: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ib-Instant-Bullet/Ch-001a--Hero-and-Villian?id=174870 I'm curious where it will go from here.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I tried giving that a chance, but once I read the first chapter and realized it was the millionth "magical girl shows up out of nowhere to enlist guy in her battle against a dark force" manga, I was just like "NO MORE!". I'm not sure I can handle any more of those, only like .01% of them end up being Hoshi no Samidare quality (and I'm not even sure that fits since it's a lizard that shows up).

Captain Invictus posted:

It'll be interesting if it doesn't go a Biscuit Hammer direction, based on the second chapter. There's really too little to say either way at this point, the next few chapters will give a better feel for whether it's worth following or not.

Yeah, this:

It's updating again! Regularly, even by some random dude on a forum somewhere who will probably throw in the towel in a week's time. We're up to chapter 5!

Do you remember how, when The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer was first starting out, the premise seemed to be "dude is given magic powers and inducted into generic anime conspiracy to save the world but actually he's a jaded misanthrope who would prefer the world be destroyed instead"? But then it morphed into a quite a story instead? And were you ever, regardless of how much you enjoyed it or how well it actually turned out, a little disappointed that you never got to see what happened in that story?

Well, good news! This is that story! And it shows no signs of stopping, reversing, or even slowing down. I think it might be accelerating, in fact. :shepface:

Check it out.

Witch-hat-girl's little blush when the MC praised her for wanting to gently euthanise the world instead of brutally savaging it slew me. I could not stop laughing.

What a hell of thing to be praised for.

EDIT:

Kleptobot posted:

Stumbled across this one called Sensen Spike Hills: The story of a pickpocket, a math prodigy, and a girl planning to steal the questions to the college entrance exams before they happen.

Oh, is that updating again? I thought it had stalled out. :unsmith:

EDIT2: NO IT HASN'T YOU DICK :argh:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Two more chapters of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Most things not the Holocaust have a happier ending than Ashita no Joe.

I'm way late to this, but huh? Did we read the same manga?

Joe gets everything he wants. Yeah, he dies, but he dies smiling in the process of the literal greatest achievement of his life, fighting the best boxer in the world to a standstill. If I remember correctly, it's even implied that he knew he was probably not going to survive the match and deliberately went out on top. How is that even remotely on the level of something like Grave of the Fireflies?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm way late to this, but huh? Did we read the same manga?

Joe gets everything he wants. Yeah, he dies, but he dies smiling in the process of the literal greatest achievement of his life, fighting the best boxer in the world to a standstill. If I remember correctly, it's even implied that he knew he was probably not going to survive the match and deliberately went out on top. How is that even remotely on the level of something like Grave of the Fireflies?

Probably because it's a waste. Joe willingly walks into his death pushed by his own tenacity when everyone, even himself, realizes he just doesn't have to do it. Comparing an individual tragedy vs a larger one is complicated, but both are quite sad, one dealing with senseless indiscriminate death, another with a very specific possibly misguided death.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean yeah, it's bittersweet, but because Joe succeeded at literally everything short of winning the fight, and still beat the living manshit out of his opponent (and probably would have won if not for his poor health) to the point where his hair goes gray and he visibly ages, I'm pretty hesitant to call it a straight up downer.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Thanks for the heads up.

Fuuuck, now I have to wait again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Three new chapters of Knights of Sidonia :toot: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sidonia-No-Kishi/Vol-011-Ch-050--Remnants-of-the-Pacifists

Finally we learn the secret behind bearmom.

EDIT: It's been so long I couldn't find the manga thread, oops.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 29, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want to read a manga Dark Souls: the world is a twisted reflection of a once-great civilisation, the protagonist barely survives each chapter, there are hosed up monsters and treacherous people. But there should also be beauty and weirdness. Berserk and Dorohedoro fit parts of the bill, but they're too... noisy.

Using examples from western comics - I really loved The City by James Herbert, illustrated by Ian Miller. It's about a man who returns to a future-baroque city in ruins and finds it infested with monstrous rats. I last read it in the mid 90s, so my memory is fuzzy, but it had a lonely vibe that is exactly what I fancy reading in between sessions of Dark Souls 2. A lot of John Blanche's art for Fighting Fantasy stuff fits too. That might be why I love Dorohedoro so much.

Edit: I want a manga with scenes like this:
http://i.imgur.com/k3gVl.jpg

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 30, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

I want to read a manga Dark Souls: the world is a twisted reflection of a once-great civilisation, the protagonist barely survives each chapter, there are hosed up monsters and treacherous people. But there should also be beauty and weirdness. Berserk and Dorohedoro fit parts of the bill, but they're too... noisy.

Using examples from western comics - I really loved The City by James Herbert, illustrated by Ian Miller. It's about a man who returns to a ruined baroque city in ruins and finds it infested with monstrous rats. I last read it in the mid 90s, so my memory is fuzzy, but it had a lonely vibe that is exactly what I fancy reading in between sessions of Dark Souls 2. A lot of John Blanche's art for Fighting Fantasy stuff fits too. That might be why I love Dorohedoro so much.

Edit: I want a manga with scenes like this:
http://i.imgur.com/k3gVl.jpg

Blame! and Biomega (and probably everything else by Nihei Tsutomu) should be up your alley.

http://kissmanga.com/AuthorArtist/Nihei-Tsutomu

That Works fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 30, 2014

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Breaky posted:

Blame! and Biomega (and probably everything else by Nihei Tsutomu) should be up your alley.

I read Blame! not too long ago and it was my first manga by Nihei. Was I not supposed to really understand anything? I mean, I loved the story and all but I still feel confused and lost about it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Reiche posted:

I read Blame! not too long ago and it was my first manga by Nihei. Was I not supposed to really understand anything? I mean, I loved the story and all but I still feel confused and lost about it.

Yup, it is confusing as gently caress. My guess is that you're supposed to re-read and take your time while doing so, because it does make sense, it is just that the sheer scale of the whole thing is nuts.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Yeah I figured as much. I want to read through his other works before doing a re-read of Blame!. I'm already a few chapters into Knights of Sidonia.

But God drat that gravity gun :swoon:

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Reiche posted:

Yeah I figured as much. I want to read through his other works before doing a re-read of Blame!. I'm already a few chapters into Knights of Sidonia.

But God drat that gravity gun :swoon:

Abara is a quick read and I feel really captures the Nihei experience.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
NOiSE doesn't really have a strong plot and you can tell it's a comparatively early work by him, but it's worth checking out for the sole reason that the Tokyopop release is still pretty easy to find (and goddamn it's nice having some of Nihei's art on paper).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Reiche posted:

Hah! Yeah I was pretty lost through it as well, still kinda made sense but it does need a re-read.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Breaky posted:

Thanks, that looks really cool, although I did try Knights of Sidonia a while back and didn't get into it.

I don't might narrative ambiguity so long as the atmosphere is there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Gakkou Gurashi, and it seems like we're entering the "evil government/military wants to eliminate any survivors/possible infected" stage of the zombie apocalypse storyline. It'd be nice if they're actually looking to rescue people though!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I re-read Akumetsu and it really feels like the author went off his meds near the start.

It had an interesting premises but it goes off the rails so hard.

e: I think my problem with it is that the whole thing is sorta kicked off in revenge for his friend dying, but he more or less shows disregard for everyone else.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 7, 2014

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I re-read Akumetsu and it really feels like the author went off his meds near the start.

It had an interesting premises but it goes off the rails so hard.

e: I think my problem with it is that the whole thing is sorta kicked off in revenge for his friend dying, but he more or less shows disregard for everyone else.

You didn't read Wolf Guy, did you? The guy has some problems, in particular against women in general. Don't read Wolf Guy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
He did a Mazinger Z manga too which has (had?) more or less the same problems, which is a drat shame since his art is great.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The guys, plural. Tabata Yoshiaki (writer) and Yugo Yuuki (artist) work as a team. No way to tell if the creepy poo poo is the one or the other or both of them.

Though, checking Baka-Updates, it looks like that Yugo is paired up with somebody else for his latest work, so if anyone wants to take the chance that it was just Tabata you could check that out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's no way you can draw a character being raped for 30 chapters and be a mentally balanced person.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

did that actually happen? I never read wolf guy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cake Attack posted:

did that actually happen? I never read wolf guy.

Yes

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

welp

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:stare: ok then. Had that one bookmarked but not anymore

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wolf Guy was pretty great early on. It slowly got creepier and creepier until it throws the rape at you. It's pretty horrible.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think I'm starting to get why it stopped focusing on Shou's personal life and more political executions.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
New chapter of Apocalypse No Toride is out.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I knew that Mario was the weak link in the asian 3.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fist of the North Banker updated again.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Misappropriation-Investigator-Nakabo-Rintaro/Vol-001-Ch-007-Read-Online?id=195768

Features a trip to the Caymans and a man breaking his own crutches to try and stab another man

Owns.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I think I'm starting to get why it stopped focusing on Shou's personal life and more political executions.

Thinking about it a bit more I think the main problem was that it was the same thing for 161~ chapters. There was no real character arc. Formulaic can be amusing but it went on waaay too long.

The only execution I remember is the one at the start where he axes a dude and yells THAT'S AKUMETSU!

There's no real character arc. When it goes back to him discovering he's a clone he just accepts it. All the other clones take a pill to share his feelings and thus there's no conflict over some of them not wanting to suicide for the mission, etc etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Politicians suck. Always have, always will. Akumetsu was a violent power fantasy in which those lovely politicians got what was coming to them in a way that will never happen in reality. The story was secondary to this central premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The stealing of a fire truck and running it through a building to assassinate someone was pretty :black101: though.