Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Stringbean posted:

I have become guardian of the bell... no one will touch my bell... go away... please dont make me do this... no, I cannot let you up there... sorry...sorry...

Death to all those who trespass.

I kept trying to take the ring off, so as not to be summoned. But it was just so quick, there's so many people up in this belltower that it wont let me take it off. I finally got it off between invasions to take a quick break.

I love the bell covenant/belfry areas so much. Belfry Sol doesn't even have a boss at the end or anything, it's just a big PvP clusterfuck.

Kind of dumb that you can't summon ghosts to help you unless you're human, but you can get invaded by two guys and ganked at any stage of hollowing. If you're playing around in these areas it's probably expected that you have a lot of effigies, though.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm so bad at this game. But I just beat the Last Giant! It was very satisfying. Now it's time to figure out what the gently caress I should do next...

nollek
Jun 13, 2007

We speak for Earth

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm so bad at this game. But I just beat the Last Giant! It was very satisfying. Now it's time to figure out what the gently caress I should do next...

I'm in the same boat as you. After several (around 8) tries I finally killed it. Almost had an orgasm.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Shindragon posted:

Nope. :v:

That is a good place, there is another place though.

Dragon Aerie? I remember a lot there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, No Man's Wharf is insanely easy, I definitely hosed up going to the Bastille after the forest instead of here. Kind of disappointed about it too, I blazed through it pretty quick, wheeled and dealed, then got to the ghost ship. Finally have my pyromancies and spells I can use, too! And I got to the hex trainer! But I still have too little faith to use any. Speaking of which, if I meet the int requirement to use the Archdrake Staff but not the faith requirement, what happens? Do I just suck at casting miracles?

Still rocking the elite knight set too; it's light and still one of the best looking sets in the game.

quote:

I'm convinced that all these people I keep seeing walking straight off of cliffs and piers are using the KB and Mouse. No can really be this uncoordinated.

Whenever there's a dozen bloodstains on the ground, either there's a trap, or a cliff.

quote:

Just a warning: You will encounter them again later, just not as a boss fight.

gently caress

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I don't really get creeped out by video games but a certain area (Brightstone Cove) kind of made me want to walk away from the computer

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through that area as an actual arachnophobe

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I love how everyone loving loathes the Ruin Sentinel fight, so of course there's an exploding mummy right before the bonfire they guard. I saw a bunch of bloodstains in that hallway :allears:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I wonder what the significance of the last giant not actually being the last giant is?

I mean, in the black gulch there's a hidden area where two REALLY powerful giants are just chilling in a cave, killing them gets you a key to a bunch of end-game gear, and I'm wondering if they're just there because hey it's a video game or if it's actually very important that there are giants still lurking deep in the earth.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
@RBA Starblade well you could be like me and finish Iron Keep before finding No Man's Wharf. Seriously just breezed through the zone at that point.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kimmalah posted:

Dragon Aerie? I remember a lot there.

Noooooooope. Not there either.
I'm assuming you beat the game?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Last Giant Business

Perhaps they refer to it as the Last Giant because it's the only known giant. Perhaps the other two are just undiscovered.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Shindragon posted:

Noooooooope. Not there either.
I'm assuming you beat the game?

Yes, I'm done with it. I know one of the merchants sells a lot too. I'm mostly just curious.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is there a way to tell how many belltower victories I've got?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I can't help but feel that making two slashing swords my main form of damage was a bad call. Almost every enemy is armored and I feel like my damage is like 1/3 of what it should be against them. It's a little disheartening to see that a +6 Ricard's Rapier does more damage than a +10 Blacksteel katana in almost every case.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

BabelFish posted:

Is there a way to tell how many belltower victories I've got?
Aside from trying to keep track with your chunks, no.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
How do i boost my Item Discovery? I could really, really make use of that.

I have this one consumable coin for a temp boost, but that can't be it.

.... R-right?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Minorkos posted:

I can't help but feel that making two slashing swords my main form of damage was a bad call. Almost every enemy is armored and I feel like my damage is like 1/3 of what it should be against them. It's a little disheartening to see that a +6 Ricard's Rapier does more damage than a +10 Blacksteel katana in almost every case.
All enemies being armoured and the new durability system really work against slash weapons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HenryEx posted:

.... R-right?

It all comes from equipment now. For example, the hat the explorer starts with boosts item discovery.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I feel like the 'No Way' emote should be renamed to the Mutombo emote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXtOuxBuvQ

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

HenryEx posted:

.... R-right?

There are other ways: The Traveling Merchant's Hat you can buy from Melentia (the old lady in Majula), a set of Prisoner's Tatters you can get from certain hollow enemies, Covetous Gold Serpent Rings that you'll find mostly in Iron Keep I think, and the Jester's Set sold by a merchant in Iron Keep.

You wear a combination of those things and you'll get lots of loot.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Can you kill the game without losing your save? I just accidentally used a small silky stone instead of leaving it.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Sober posted:

All enemies being armoured and the new durability system really work against slash weapons.

Also, using the heavy attack with Ricard's Rapier uses up like 20% of the durability bar :gonk:

I have 3 weapons and they all keep breaking in the middle of runs between bonfires.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Cheston posted:

Can you kill the game without losing your save? I just accidentally used a small silky stone instead of leaving it.

I just did the same thing, god damnit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kaptainkaffeine posted:

DVI. Tried both ports. Tried HDMI. Tried two different monitors. Etc, etc. If you've got any ideas that aren't in here, I'm all ears.

Message me on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kimmalah posted:

Yes, I'm done with it. I know one of the merchants sells a lot too. I'm mostly just curious.

Ah ok I was only asking because I didn't want to assume.

So you know how you fought the Giant Lord? Well bonfire aseticing the bonfire after the King's Door in Cardinal Tower, resets the memory. There is a asetic in there you can pick up, obviously you have to fight the boss again. But outside of the memory there is a corpse with that has two twinkling titinates. The only downside about this is all the memories are affected. The again, the giants nearly one shot everything so not that much of a difference. So yeah techincally this is a way get infinite twinkling titanites because you will never run out of bonfire asetics because you pick a bonfire asetic up in the memory everytime. And the corpse "respawns" the item. Bonfire aseticing resets everything like chests or corpses with items in it. And this bonfire will reset the twinkling titanite corpse. I mean I can take out the Giant Lord with like 20 great lighting spears, considering he's really easy to fight on the stairs and maybe under one hour or so I get like 18 twinkling titanites so it's not too bad.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 27, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

3D GAY WORLD posted:

I just did the same thing, god damnit.

You can, and it works! Just alt-tab out and kill the process.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I am starting to feel like i've got the wrong end of the stick after playing the other Souls games. I don't do all that well against bosses, but i can figure out the run to pretty much all of them so far without engaging a single enemy. :eng99: I felt pretty smart doing the dead man's wharf one, though it was more about avoiding the two shadow nasties in the building after the bell. The rest of the enemies just have a surprisingly forgiving disengagement range, which is against what i was led to believe about this game

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 27, 2014

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Hahaha, I literally just intimidated someone into walking off the ladder tower to their death in Belfry Sol. Didn't swing at them once, just my presence was enough to scare them off.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Killed the covetous demon solo. What a loving joke of a boss. Easiest boss so far. Then I decide to sunbro for ez souls and the next three guys I'm helping all die to him in under a minute.

People are so bad at this game.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Dr. Carwash posted:

Killed the covetous demon solo. What a loving joke of a boss. Easiest boss so far. Then I decide to sunbro for ez souls and the next three guys I'm helping all die to him in under a minute.

People are so bad at this game.

If you shoot the jars hanging from the ceiling then it should probably be impossible for that to happen, but nothings foolproof.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I guess I shouldn't have taunted fate because as I was invading as a grey phantom in the bell tower, I lost my connection to Steam for all of 30 seconds and was kicked out of the invasion.

Does that mean I'm branded for life and can't summon/invade until I use this spinal cord thing I started with?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Minorkos posted:

I don't really get creeped out by video games but a certain area (Brightstone Cove) kind of made me want to walk away from the computer

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through that area as an actual arachnophobe

Not really arachnophobic, but they sure did put some effort into making those spiders as creepy as possible.

And then you get to the enemies where you realize they're not just spiders, but body-snatching parasite spiders.

All in all, though, the enemies in this game that make me uneasiest are those gas-beetle things. Everything from the way they move, to the way they sound, to the utterly disgusting appearance of their bloated, hole-riddled backs. loving christ, Fromsoft.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Cowcaster posted:

I guess I shouldn't have taunted fate because as I was invading as a grey phantom in the bell tower, I lost my connection to Steam for all of 30 seconds and was kicked out of the invasion.

Does that mean I'm branded for life and can't summon/invade until I use this spinal cord thing I started with?
Nah, it seems like Steam is dying.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

I was disconnected from steam when I had a guy summoned at one point, and when I reconnected I was still able to summon people normally.

Also it's a good thing I went back to the Iron Keep to get the gold serpent ring +1, because I didn't realize that place is pvp central. Also gently caress the giant soul spear spell. :argh:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 27, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to wear heavier armor better by raising my strength? I noticed that it starts to inhibit my movement/rolling, but when I use help on the level up screen I don't see the thing that shows you how encumbered you are, at least I think thats what that percentage is.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Reason posted:

Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to wear heavier armor better by raising my strength? I noticed that it starts to inhibit my movement/rolling, but when I use help on the level up screen I don't see the thing that shows you how encumbered you are, at least I think thats what that percentage is.
Vit is the stat that governs Equip Load.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

12 hours in and I'm just finding out that upgrading your catalysts increase the damage spells do.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RBA Starblade posted:

12 hours in and I'm just finding out that upgrading your catalysts increase the damage spells do.
You can also infuse them with McDuff, so if you have a Staff that has terrible dark damage, but good magic damage, you can use a faintstone and make it do even more magic damage!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nahxela posted:

You can also infuse them with McDuff, so if you have a Staff that has terrible dark damage, but good magic damage, you can use a faintstone and make it do even more magic damage!

Still haven't found an ember for Duffy, but that's good to know, thanks. I mean I only have the starting staff and the archduke one whose faith requirements I lack, but I'm going to try jumping in a well for a new one soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I just beat Sinner's Rise, heide, belfry, giants, bastile, and wharf. I think that's everything so far, where the hell do I go next?

I can use this branch of yore on the lady near the door, or i can use it on this guy blocking a bonfire in the bastille. Is there a way I can get a second branch in the meantime?