Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Benny, it's good that you've decided to put off the idea of a getting a car for now. But when you do start looking again be sure to temper your expectations on what you can get for $2k in your area. It might not be as much as what you are thinking you could get. Also read up on stuff to look for when buying a used car as you don't want to get something and immediately have to drop another several hundred or more on it because something broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

docbeard posted:

It's marginally closer to something related to an English degree than hauling boxes around a warehouse, cooking food, or cart wrangling is, and maybe that's enough.

Really, are there jobs related to English degrees other than "English teacher" and "literary smart guy"? (I do not consider "writer" to be a job related to an English degree.)

Just out of curiosity, why don't you consider "writer" to be a job related to an English degree? Part of being a good writer means that you need to be well read and able to communicate well in written language. An English degree seems like that would help fit the bill nicely.

An English degree (or really any BA) can be leveraged in things that are not necessarily directly related to that particular field. A BA could successfully propel you into a career as a technical writer, technical trainer, corporate trainer or really just about anything. With a BA you should have critical thinking skills, problem solving ability, and be able to read and write effectively. Obviously that didn't happen in Benny's case, but just because you have a degree in X doesn't mean you are locked into only career choices 1, 2, or 3. Most people don't use their degree in their particular field.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

I know anyone can sale anything on EBay

Ladies and gentlemen, once again for your reading pleasure - English major Benny the Snake :golfclap:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Good job on getting a job. Now keep it. Dont gently caress it up.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Benny the Snake posted:

By the way, my psych has taken me off one of my three medications since I've told him that I don't feel paranoid any more. I haven't felt paranoid or heard any voices in a long time. I'm still anxious, though. If I start slipping into paranoia, then I'm going to call him first thing to have me put on the third medication. My psych doesn't accept medi-cal, so once I do get back from them, I'll have to find a new psych and my current one is willing to pass along his information.

Benny, have any of your mental health professionals ever talked to you about social scheduling and how important it is to remaining grounded when you're under stress or when there's a life change? If not, you might find it helpful to ask them about it.

From your time in this thread, it's pretty obvious that you can sometimes think way ahead of yourself instead of focusing on the here and now and that's a tendency which can bring you undone. Try to eat well, maintain good sleep hygiene, and get a moderate amount of exercise (take a 20 minute walk during your lunch hour) as you learn this job. Those things will help you stay mentally healthy while you learn to adapt to your new job and balancing work, volunteering and home.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Morby posted:

Just out of curiosity, why don't you consider "writer" to be a job related to an English degree? Part of being a good writer means that you need to be well read and able to communicate well in written language. An English degree seems like that would help fit the bill nicely.

I probably should have said "exclusive to an English degree" or "something an English degree will prepare you for better than other degrees".

quote:

An English degree (or really any BA) can be leveraged in things that are not necessarily directly related to that particular field. A BA could successfully propel you into a career as a technical writer, technical trainer, corporate trainer or really just about anything. With a BA you should have critical thinking skills, problem solving ability, and be able to read and write effectively. Obviously that didn't happen in Benny's case, but just because you have a degree in X doesn't mean you are locked into only career choices 1, 2, or 3. Most people don't use their degree in their particular field.

This is all very true, especially your last sentence. I don't think I know anyone who's doing what they went to school to do.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny, I hope you're proof-reading those ebay descriptions, before submitting. I know it's just internet posting and you like to save the good stuff for when you need it, but now you're basically a professional writer, so it's as good a time as any to bust out all the effort-writes you've been saving up.

cname fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 23, 2014

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

docbeard posted:

I probably should have said "exclusive to an English degree" or "something an English degree will prepare you for better than other degrees".

I think it's a mistake to look at a degree this way. While there are exceptions, (like engineering, comp sci, accounting, etc.) very few degrees directly prepare you for a specific job or field. More accurately, a BA degree gives you tools that can be leveraged in multiple fields. That's the challenge that BA graduates have. "I have this degree in X. What can I do with it?" The fact is that there are a ton of possibilities outside of teaching. You'd be surprised the skillsets many corporate jobs are looking for in an employee.

This is also why anyone getting a BA should be networking like hell, doing internships, working/volunteering on campus, talking to professors, and otherwise keeping busy outside of class. The degree itself isn't going to springboard you into a job. It's not always what you know, but who you know. In a sea of English/History/Philosophy candidates, it's important to distinguish yourself positively. Otherwise you end up with people like Benny who (it sounds like) did the bare minimum to pass, didn't absorb everything that was being taught, and made no outside efforts to network.

Big Ol Butthole
Apr 21, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I don't care if it's related to your degree.

It's minimum wage and they don't pay for your lunch. And it's about 25 hours a week.

So yeah, it's lovely. Sorry to blow you goons' collective fuckle-tard brains, but getting a job is just step 1. Most of the time it's to subsist, have something on your rés, build a book, whatever. Now he keeps at it.

Benny, do you copy, your mission is not over, soldier! I repeat, do not retreat from those job boards. Update your rés. Get back out searching on the internet for admin positions. Now you can bullshit copywriting experience. Lie, say you've worked there for a year. You're good at lying.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Big Ol Butthole posted:

Benny, do you copy, your mission is not over, soldier! I repeat, do not retreat from those job boards. Update your rés. Get back out searching on the internet for admin positions.

This is good advice.

quote:

Now you can bullshit copywriting experience. Lie, say you've worked there for a year. You're good at lying.

This is not good advice.

Big Ol Butthole
Apr 21, 2014

by Ion Helmet
^^^^I'm sorry? Yeah, check back with me once you know what the gently caress you're talking about. Fake it till you make it, stretch your experience to fit the need. Newb.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Big Ol Butthole posted:

^^^^I'm sorry? Yeah, check back with me once you know what the gently caress you're talking about. Fake it till you make it, stretch your experience to fit the need. Newb.

It is good advice for most people, but Benny is a terrible liar.

Big Ol Butthole
Apr 21, 2014

by Ion Helmet
^^^^I feel you papi, I've been following this thread since day 1. Back when it was about comic books. But my advice stays the same for this mental-cripple.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

No I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that outright lying on your resume and at a job interview about how long you worked a previous position is a bad idea for anybody.

Talk up and even over-sell your skills and experience, sure, but lie about something as easily verifiable as that? Yeah, no.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
It's one thing to lie and say you've been there for a year when you've actually been there for 8 to 10 months, but this is the kid's first week.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And your brother Benny! How's Danny?

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Toriori posted:

And your brother Benny! How's Danny?

Benny: Get him to find a job of his own, both of you save some money and get a place of your own as roomies -- nary a parent to harsh your mellow, anime parties all night, raking in piles of cash all day, cars and women and comics flocking to your palatial abode (in a while). What does the thread think of this clever scheme?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Perfidia posted:

Benny: Get him to find a job of his own, both of you save some money and get a place of your own as roomies -- nary a parent to harsh your mellow, anime parties all night, raking in piles of cash all day, cars and women and comics flocking to your palatial abode (in a while). What does the thread think of this clever scheme?

As I recall, of the two of them, Benny is the more fiscally responsible one. Consider that, and then realize that this can only lead to good things.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Benny, how are you getting to your job right now? Bike, bus, what?
Keep on, bro.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Shopping cart.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Big Ol Butthole posted:

Benny, do you copy, your mission is not over, soldier! I repeat, do not retreat from those job boards. Update your rés. Get back out searching on the internet for admin positions. Now you can bullshit copywriting experience. Lie, say you've worked there for a year. You're good at lying.

Benny needs to think a whole lot more about what he wants to do before he starts applying for admin positions. It's a huge field and competition for entry level positions can be fierce. The recruitment process for entry level admin positions with large corporations can be daunting and often involves testing of claimed capabilities - lying about one's competence isn't going to benefit you in that environment even if you might get away with it in the short term with a smaller firm.

Before Benny starts applying willy-nilly for admin positions, he needs to think about how he envisages working in the field. He sure as poo poo doesn't sound like someone who'd be happy working in a cubicle on a floor with 200 other admin staff but nor does he sound like he could juggle 5 things at once without becoming flustered, either.

If he's looking more at "office all-rounder" type positions with smaller companies, then he needs a broader skillset - at his age, competency in a lot of admin functions is going to be assumed so he's going to have to learn additional skills in order to become competitive for those positions. His best bet is probably to look at the job descriptions and duties statements of positions he thinks would interest him and see what skills he's lacking, although some skills are taken for granted and not explicitly mentioned in job ads.

He should definitely brush up his Office (not just Word) skills if he wants an admin position, and it wouldn't hurt to take some online tutorials for popular accounting software either. No-one wants to teach a 25 year old employee how to use Quickbooks or Excel, how to use standard databases or create PP presentations, or how to change the toner in the printer. At Benny's age, ability to work both independently and as part of a team is presumed.

I'm not convinced Benny understands what's involved in various admin positions. That he was hoping to gain positions such as a notary or secretary with a legal firm without any background qualifications or experience relevant to such positions makes me believe Benny has a distorted perception of "general office work" and what various positions entail. He definitely needs to refine his goals to fit his skills and experience as well as his personal attributes.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Big Ol Butthole posted:

Even if Benny's next employer (..I actually wrote that) only runs a bare-bones reference check, the one thing they will ask is to confirm dates of employment - or ask Benny to provide a certificate of service. Even if the employer has a policy to not give full reference checks, they do need to provide the dates. So if he can find a place that doesn't put much stock in reference checks, your advice stands. If he hits a company that DOES do them, even just the bare minimum, he's screwed. Given he wants admin jobs, he is more likely to run into the latter.

Also Benny: tangential story that may open the door to a new potential career for you. The other day I came across a weird little pamphlet on the floor at work - looked like a comic or something. I quickly realised with some amusement it was one of those "you are a filthy, immoral sinner cheats/lies/steals/molests children but if you accept JESUS CHRIST the LORD as your saviour, all your evil deeds will be WASHED AWAY" illustrations, and on the back it said it was made where else but in your very own Chino, CA. Take your finely honed literary skills, combine them with the experience of growing up and continuing to live with a fire-and-brimstone mother and I'm pretty sure you have enough material to write (if not draw) thousands of those little booklets from the comfort of your own town.

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

Big Ol Butthole posted:

As somebody who has hired around 50 people in the last year, I would add that lying about stuff on your resume and in interview is a really really bad idea unless you're applying at McDonald's.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Tamarillo posted:

Also Benny: tangential story that may open the door to a new potential career for you. The other day I came across a weird little pamphlet on the floor at work - looked like a comic or something. I quickly realised with some amusement it was one of those "you are a filthy, immoral sinner cheats/lies/steals/molests children but if you accept JESUS CHRIST the LORD as your saviour, all your evil deeds will be WASHED AWAY" illustrations, and on the back it said it was made where else but in your very own Chino, CA. Take your finely honed literary skills, combine them with the experience of growing up and continuing to live with a fire-and-brimstone mother and I'm pretty sure you have enough material to write (if not draw) thousands of those little booklets from the comfort of your own town.

Was it a Chick pamphlet? I know their headquarters is somewhere in that general area; their current mailing address is a PO Box in neighboring Ontario but I think they may have used a Chino address for a while. If so, those things are legendary and writing them is probably the most coveted gig in the world of Christian comic strip writing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

lexan posted:

Was it a Chick pamphlet? I know their headquarters is somewhere in that general area; their current mailing address is a PO Box in neighboring Ontario but I think they may have used a Chino address for a while. If so, those things are legendary and writing them is probably the most coveted gig in the world of Christian comic strip writing.

I now desperately want, nay, NEED, to see a Chick-style tract authored by Benny The Snake.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Colorfinger posted:

As somebody who has hired around 50 people in the last year, I would add that lying about stuff on your resume and in interview is a really really bad idea unless you're applying at McDonald's.

At the same time, my company hires a lot of contractors during busy seasons, and we basically realize on Thursday that we need another person on Monday, we call our agency, they find us a contractor and send them on over. Some of them clearly embellished on their resume, but are not big idiots, and are trainable. These folks end up with a decent paying contract gig for X amount of time, that could go permanent.

I wouldn't say never lie on your resume, but don't say something that you can't back up to the minimum requirement.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

lexan posted:

Haha I just googled them and yes, it was a Chick pamphlet.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

docbeard posted:

I now desperately want, nay, NEED, to see a Chick-style tract authored by Benny The Snake.

Your wish is my command.

(Once I've phoned in with a fake hangover)

Benny, you know what to do.

E: "How do I get in Christ? And should I send a thank-you card if I work out how?"

franco fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 24, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Needs more third grade level spelling and grammatical errors :colbert:

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
The comic seems to be implying that Benny's going to try to molest a statue of Christ...

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Lolie posted:

Benny needs to think a whole lot more about what he wants to do before he starts applying for admin positions. It's a huge field and competition for entry level positions can be fierce. The recruitment process for entry level admin positions with large corporations can be daunting and often involves testing of claimed capabilities - lying about one's competence isn't going to benefit you in that environment even if you might get away with it in the short term with a smaller firm.

Before Benny starts applying willy-nilly for admin positions, he needs to think about how he envisages working in the field. He sure as poo poo doesn't sound like someone who'd be happy working in a cubicle on a floor with 200 other admin staff but nor does he sound like he could juggle 5 things at once without becoming flustered, either.

If he's looking more at "office all-rounder" type positions with smaller companies, then he needs a broader skillset - at his age, competency in a lot of admin functions is going to be assumed so he's going to have to learn additional skills in order to become competitive for those positions. His best bet is probably to look at the job descriptions and duties statements of positions he thinks would interest him and see what skills he's lacking, although some skills are taken for granted and not explicitly mentioned in job ads.

He should definitely brush up his Office (not just Word) skills if he wants an admin position, and it wouldn't hurt to take some online tutorials for popular accounting software either. No-one wants to teach a 25 year old employee how to use Quickbooks or Excel, how to use standard databases or create PP presentations, or how to change the toner in the printer. At Benny's age, ability to work both independently and as part of a team is presumed.

I'm not convinced Benny understands what's involved in various admin positions. That he was hoping to gain positions such as a notary or secretary with a legal firm without any background qualifications or experience relevant to such positions makes me believe Benny has a distorted perception of "general office work" and what various positions entail. He definitely needs to refine his goals to fit his skills and experience as well as his personal attributes.

Is there a thread about this stuff? I'm an English major who's worked in an office for the past 6 years and recently lost my job; I'm applying for admin and office all-rounder jobs but not really getting anywhere, so a advice would be great.
And Benny, don't listen to the haters who want you to go back in time and get some spergy STEM degree. Keep on doing your job and get out of your hosed up household.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Count Chocula posted:

Is there a thread about this stuff? I'm an English major who's worked in an office for the past 6 years and recently lost my job; I'm applying for admin and office all-rounder jobs but not really getting anywhere, so a advice would be great.
And Benny, don't listen to the haters who want you to go back in time and get some spergy STEM degree. Keep on doing your job and get out of your hosed up household.

Make a thread in BFC. It's like E/N but more practical.

Big Ol Butthole
Apr 21, 2014

by Ion Helmet

franco posted:

Benny, you know what to do.

lol.

And regarding rés-lying poo poo, anything is worth a try if you're desperate enough. You gotta get hungry, hungry men survive and wear diapers, or perish with nothing. Obviously just embellish, don't say you actually met with the President China and acquired Mandarin language skills.

Big Ol Butthole fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 25, 2014

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Let's see... you enjoy reading, you enjoyed working a cash register and selling discount cards at your time at Target so you must be good with customers, you enjoy discussing literature, and you have a bachelor's degree... why not aim to be a manager at a bookstore? Something like Barnes and Noble? You'd probably really enjoy working there and working with people with common interests. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

docbeard posted:

As I recall, of the two of them, Benny is the more fiscally responsible one. Consider that, and then realize that this can only lead to good things.

Oh ... well, I would definitely vote for that if this was some real-life TV show, but it feels bad to saddle Benny with Deadbeat Danny as soon as he's got a job (now keep it, please!) so I think I'll withdraw my pitch until something accidentally goes disastrously wrong (fingers crossed!).

PS. get Danny an account too, so he can start his own thread, because that would be pretty great

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Perfidia posted:

PS. get Danny an account too, so he can start his own thread, because that would be pretty great

I think we should get Benny's mom an account.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey guys. My first week went well, I guess. I was asking questions constantly to my manager, but he's thankfully a very patient person. I've made like six or seven sales so far but one of them had to be cancelled on Friday because our warehouses didn't have it in stock. I double-checked the inventory of all my listings but I forgot to check a handful of them before I left, so I'm nervous that there may be another cancelled order come Monday. What's worse is that we didn't make much of a profit off my sales. At first, my manager had me price items according to the competition and then on Friday he changed the pricing structure based on markup. This was because I was starting their eBay account so the idea was we'd dip our toes into that market. Even if we didn't make much of a profit, we could at least build customer satisfaction. I also spent Friday re-pricing every listing and I had to end a good chunk of them because our competitors were undercutting us. It's tedious work but overall it's not too bad. I'm dong my best to prevent carpel tunnel syndrome by stretching my wrists regularly. For some reason, I've developed stomach pains. I don't know if it's stress or something else. Looking forward to Monday.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 27, 2014

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.
You're worried about carpal tunnel after working on a computer for less than a week? What the gently caress? Do you dictate your posts to someone when you're home who types them out for you? Or do you type with your feet?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm dong my best to prevent carpel tunnel syndrome by stretching my wrists regularly.

this is why i keep reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Benny, what the gently caress? All you do is dick around on the computer all day and suddenly your wrists can't handle getting paid to do it? The stomach pains are probably anxiety from not being thorough with your work and knowing you can be loving yourself over because of it.

Pull your head out of your rear end and focus. Jesus Christ.

• Locked thread