Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

SpectreGhost posted:

Going for the platinum is... time-consuming as gently caress. I'm probably not the most efficient runner when it comes to this game, even though I've done it all before except for International content. I'm currently at 105 hours and I'm just now starting to fill in empty nodes on the expert sphere grid. Only other things left to do are:

• Kill Ultima Weapon/Buster.
  • Customize more armor for some stupid fights ahead.
  • Kill Nemesis.
  • Kill Dark Aeons. (except Dark Valefor)
  • Kill Penance.
  • Leave the Monster Arena for once and get the Al Bhed Primer in Omega Ruins.
  • Never 100% this game again.

Yeah. Yeah. Naw. Never.

All I have left is to fill in the grids and I'm at 66 hours. Some efficiency tips:
  • Capturing monsters is really tedious but you can make it efficient by also using overdrive -> AP and slayer/victor
  • Re: armor - If you beat superbosses "legit" you need 3-4 perfect armors per character (some combination of auto-haste, auto-protect, stoneproof, sleepproof, defense +20%, auto-potion, auto-phoenix, or ribbon), if you're willing to zanmato then you only need need to defeat dark yojimbo "legit" and so only need 1 armor with auto-haste
  • Assume you're maxing the sphere grid, go ahead and max most of your stats but magic and luck are really tedious and you can kill every monster in the game without having to pump those

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

BloodWulfe posted:

always and forever

I can only read this in a Ralph Wiggum voice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Question about the endboss of Lightning Returns: I heard beating Ereshkigal in your first playthrough basically triggers an Unlimited Indalecio scenario where the endboss merrily adopts a new mega-form that will break you in half if you haven't spent, like, a hundred hours twinking. Is that true?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Question about the endboss of Lightning Returns: I heard beating Ereshkigal in your first playthrough basically triggers an Unlimited Indalecio scenario where the endboss merrily adopts a new mega-form that will break you in half if you haven't spent, like, a hundred hours twinking. Is that true?

No, that happens if you're on a New Game +.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Nah, that's NG+ only and the boss isn't that hard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Righty-o, thanks for the quick response.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

All I have left is to fill in the grids and I'm at 66 hours. Some efficiency tips:
[list]
[*]Capturing monsters is really tedious but you can make it efficient by also using overdrive -> AP and slayer/victor

Ugh. UGHHHHHH.

Although to be fair I can't even make an Overdrive>AP weapon yet. I've been doing sidequest stuff like picking up the celestial weapons and crests and capturing whatever I come across, then turning on No Encounters when I start seeing a lot of the same thing over and over.

A LOT of areas end up having 1 or 2 monsters I haven't caught by the time I have like, 10 of everything else. In Yojimbo's cave I got a tonberry but managed to miss a ghost and something else. In Mushroom Rock I have 10 of some guys but still a blank space or two. I know some monsters only spawn in certain spots but it's frustrating to figure out.

Also my very first battle with Yojimbo was against Dark Valefor and he instantly did Zanmato for 130k gil :v: I saved and tried again to see if I could get a better drop and in 5 tries he never did it again so I'll just go get Anima and not bother with this. I got a Break Damage Limit for Rikku which is about the least useful thing I could have got but oh well.

Beat Chocobo racing with 0:0 in about 30 minutes but it's so frustrating, felt much longer. I eventually put it down for a couple of hours, turned it on, tried for the hell of it and got it on my first try. The overdrive bonus is useful at least, when I got the weapon I only had Slice & Dice and now I have Energy Rain and could get Blitz Ace pretty easily just spamming that.

I'm not planning on getting the Platinum so I'm not sure why I'm doing all this. It would be nice to actually fight the last boss as part of the normal difficulty curve and not kill him in 2 hits so maybe I should try that.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm not planning on getting the Platinum so I'm not sure why I'm doing all this. It would be nice to actually fight the last boss as part of the normal difficulty curve and not kill him in 2 hits so maybe I should try that.

Just start a NSGNS playthrough :getin:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just want to point out that on my first few attempts even with all the celestial weapons and Wakka batting for about 22k a round on the average enemy the final boss still kicked the poo poo out of me. I beat him eventually but still. I wouldn't worry too hard about overpreparing.

Arist fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 27, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

I got a Break Damage Limit for Rikku which is about the least useful thing I could have got but oh well.

I beat the game and did all the slogging years ago and Rikku was far and away the first to 99999 and the fastest death train with Mix, overpowered as poo poo.

This time around, she's the first overpowered character again. Rikku owns :getin:

Only difference this time was not spending 40 goddamn hours grinding in Omega Ruins for AP. Back in 02 I never know about the King Cactuar AP grinding, and now I'll probably max the grid around 70 hours. PS2 era, it took me 120 hours to max the grid.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh yeah Mix is awesome but Rikku's celestial weapon is the easiest to get, assembling your own is not needed.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Oh yeah Mix is awesome but Rikku's celestial weapon is the easiest to get, assembling your own is not needed.

Oh, I misread. Yea, getting one of those is kinda :flaccid:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
While on FFX endgame chat, is it worth it to bribe Ultima Weapon? Doesn't really feel like it unless there's something I can abuse in Monster Arena?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dubious posted:

While on FFX endgame chat, is it worth it to bribe Ultima Weapon? Doesn't really feel like it unless there's something I can abuse in Monster Arena?

If you really want Master Thief for free you can get it from the remiem chocobo races.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

If you really want Master Thief for free you can get it from the remiem chocobo races.

Fair enough. Gonna go steal from then 2 shot Ultima with Rikku then :v:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Dubious posted:

Yeah because gil is basically free once you get the airship. That being said, master thief is only really useful against ultima weapon itself for those sweet sweet 20x doors to tomorrow and you aren't really missing anything if you kill him.

Ugh. UGHHHHHH.

Although to be fair I can't even make an Overdrive>AP weapon yet.

Once you get the airship the first thing I do is savescum geosageneo to get no encounters, then run through omega ruins to steal overdrive-> AP items from Ultima Weapon. If you can't kill him just bribe him. Best things to put OD->AP on are capture weapons (slayer/victor) and then the Triple AP weapons from One Eye.

quote:

Also my very first battle with Yojimbo was against Dark Valefor and he instantly did Zanmato for 130k gil :v: I saved and tried again to see if I could get a better drop and in 5 tries he never did it again so I'll just go get Anima and not bother with this. I got a Break Damage Limit for Rikku which is about the least useful thing I could have got but oh well.

There is 1 good dark aeon drop (ribbon armor with 3 empty slots), and is only worth save scumming if you're masochistic. All the weapons are useless because the celestials are better and there are a ton of poo poo armors with garbage abilities like curseproof and fire eater.

quote:

Beat Chocobo racing with 0:0 in about 30 minutes but it's so frustrating, felt much longer. I eventually put it down for a couple of hours, turned it on, tried for the hell of it and got it on my first try. The overdrive bonus is useful at least, when I got the weapon I only had Slice & Dice and now I have Energy Rain and could get Blitz Ace pretty easily just spamming that.

Blitz Ace is really useful since overdrives never miss and dark aeons will dodge your quick hits even if you have max accuracy. It also hits through NeSlug's shell so you never have to grind for magic spheres.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blitz Ace is really useful since overdrives never miss and dark aeons will dodge your quick hits even if you have max accuracy.

That's because Accuracy as a stat sucks poo poo for actually hitting things. You want to boost Luck instead.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

That's because Accuracy as a stat sucks poo poo for actually hitting things. You want to boost Luck instead.

Ehhhh, you can just use aim/quick hit, blitz ace, and oblivion for the easy dark aeons and zanmato for the hard ones.

If you want to eschew zanmato then yeah you'll need to farm for luck & fortune instead of accuracy; unfortunately luck and fortune are a pain in the dick to farm, and getting the sphere grid trophy would require something like 20 fortune spheres x 7 characters which is...no thanks.

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 27, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
What's the lowest effort way of beating FFX, I'm only really playing it because, as much as I hate to admit it, playing FFX-2 first feels wrong, even if I love it more.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

What's the lowest effort way of beating FFX, I'm only really playing it because, as much as I hate to admit it, playing FFX-2 first feels wrong, even if I love it more.

If you use the expert grid you can get steal a bit before you get Rikku and if you steal constantly you'll be able to end most random battles very quickly. On the Thunder Plains steal lunar curtains (from Larva iirc, Iron Giants have light curtains which are just as useful) and chocobo feathers (from Qacutars, press square in front of the statues you see on the plains) so you can mix variations of Mighty G's with Rikku's overdrive if you're ever struggling with an enemy.

You shouldn't have any problems til you hit Evrae. Try to get steal/use on more than just Rikku and make sure you have lots of Al Bhed potions for poison breath. You can just hang back using Al Bhed potions and Wakka's ball/party members with magic and it's an easy fight. You can fight up close if you want to be efficient and just defend/pull back before poison breath and you should be right if you keep using Al Bhed potions.

Flux on Gagazet can be annoying but if you poison him (Bio black magic) and use silence attack (on Wakka's path). Sacrifice an aeon when Mortiwhatever is "ready to annihilate". Zombie ward can be handy too if you have the cash for heaps of holy waters.

For Yunalesca, use hastega early and then reflect everyone so her status counters don't hit you. When she zombies you stay in zombie status. When she uses mind blast you'll want to use esuna so try to keep a backup zombie out of your main 3, so you can switch one into the active party to keep you alive if she uses mega death. She's a pain but if you get the hang of her moves she should be simple enough.

For BFA if you want to get it done quickly I'd just mix Trio of 9999 and cast slowga. You can zombie him so the pagoda's hurt him to make it quicker.

Otherwise you shouldn't have any issues, if you've played it before you should be able to breeze through. Is that the kind of advice you wanted? It's not as 'break over the knee' as FFVIII iirc.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah that was great, thanks!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've just finished the Zanarkand cloister and have enough Lv. 4 key spheres for Kimhari to teleport back to his start and pick up Ultima. After he gets it I was just gonna give it to Yuna with a black magic sphere, but once that happens I cannot figure out any use for Kimhari or Lulu. They both kinda just suck equally at everything but can do a fair amount, except that Lulu is an alright back up healer. Anyway I can make them more useful at this point?

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yeah that was great, thanks!

No worries!

Great Lakes Log posted:

I've just finished the Zanarkand cloister and have enough Lv. 4 key spheres for Kimhari to teleport back to his start and pick up Ultima. After he gets it I was just gonna give it to Yuna with a black magic sphere, but once that happens I cannot figure out any use for Kimhari or Lulu. They both kinda just suck equally at everything but can do a fair amount, except that Lulu is an alright back up healer. Anyway I can make them more useful at this point?

Sadly the later you get in the game the more useless Lulu and Kimhari get. Steal and use are always handy to have on more people though, Rikku's path also has lots of HP nodes early and plenty of agility along the way (which Kimhari and Lulu both tend to lack).

Having more of your party with slow/haste would be handy too. If you use a lot of any ability it's never a bad thing to have it on more party members.

But yeah, they're not going to be amazing late-game, but you can still try to pump them up with agility, strength (or magic if you'd prefer) and abilities to make them useful all-rounders.

I'd never used Kimhari much before this playthrough so I forced myself to keep him in the party at all times (switching characters around every random battle so everyone gets XP is a bit dull). Late-game he hits reasonably hard, has a good magic stat (grabbed basic white magic and a bunch of black magic on side paths) and has useful stuff like steal/use/cheers/reflex/mug/haste/slow/dispel/reflect. It's easier with one side character as you can just use all your magic/special spheres for learning off of others with him to make him well-rounded.

If you're thinking of doing any post-game stuff (weapon sidequests, monster hunting etc) everyone will start becoming very similar with overdrives being the only real separation point.

I *think* Holy might be stronger than Ultima but I might be remembering wrong. Does anyone know their respective power?

Are you using the standard grid or expert?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

PTizzle posted:

I *think* Holy might be stronger than Ultima but I might be remembering wrong. Does anyone know their respective power?

Ultima's base power is 70, Holy's base power is 100. Also Holy has the shorter animation, and that's the most important thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Systematic System posted:

Ultima's base power is 70, Holy's base power is 100. Also Holy has the shorter animation, and that's the most important thing.

Holy can't be doublecast, though. That said, Yuna with celestial + Holy is absolutely more than powerful enough to run roughshod over the end game.

Coincedentally, flare is garbage because dual casting it deals around the same damage as holy so it takes longer and costs a whole extra 1mp.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is ffx-2 as easy to break over my knee as ffx is? I'm gonna be starting that soon and never beat it on PS2, I got to Chapter 5 and then went off to other things.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Dubious posted:

Is ffx-2 as easy to break over my knee as ffx is? I'm gonna be starting that soon and never beat it on PS2, I got to Chapter 5 and then went off to other things.

If you're playing the International version, then X-2 is much easier to crush, difficulty curve wise. Monsters you can catch, right from the first 30 minutes of the game, are far more powerful than YRP generally speaking. If you're playing the regular US version, then there aren't really any ways to break the game: there are powerful dresspheres you can get for the end-game, but they're considered required, and the end-game is balanced around you having them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can break X-2, but you kind of have to go out your way to do it in certain ways, especially with some of the game's super bosses. That being said X-2 is overall easier than X I feel due to the non linearity so you can end up stronger than you probably should be if you go looking around in different areas.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

X2 platinum requires you to oversoul every monster in the game

I was on NG6 or NG7 on PS2 and didnt even come close :( :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I've been absolutely murdered by this little poo poo Shinra in sphere break for the past hour and a half. I get a great Echo going and without fail once I get to x3 or higher I get a Core 1 sphere and then I'm hosed.

Any tips/tricks/someone to drive to my house and beat this for me?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
goddamnit the last Al Bhed Primer I need, was missed in Besaid.

Time to Quick Hit cheese Dark Valefor I guess then?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I've been absolutely murdered by this little poo poo Shinra in sphere break for the past hour and a half. I get a great Echo going and without fail once I get to x3 or higher I get a Core 1 sphere and then I'm hosed.

I used a Sphere Break calculator I found on the internet, because I was totally hopeless at the game. Let me beat everyone in the game, even the really good end-game players.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

X2 platinum requires you to oversoul every monster in the game

I was on NG6 or NG7 on PS2 and didnt even come close :( :(

Remember you don't have to beat every oversouled monster - you can just encounter one, run away, and find another monster of the same type which will also be oversouled.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Dubious posted:

goddamnit the last Al Bhed Primer I need, was missed in Besaid.

Time to Quick Hit cheese Dark Valefor I guess then?

You can merge your Al Bhed primers across multiple saves with the Al Bhed compilation spheres.

So you can either restart your game, or use an early game save point to pick up that one Al Bhed primer you missed, save the game, and then compile a complete dictionary between the two saves.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you are building up a good Echo then you really know all there is to Sphere Break so it's up to luck in the Sphere Break tournament cause like you said a Core 1 sphere will gently caress you up. Too bad they don't give you a multiplier count coin because then the tournament wouldn't be so luck based.

Also don't forget to get the treasure hunt garment grid while playing Shinra :v:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

keiran_helcyan posted:

You can merge your Al Bhed primers across multiple saves with the Al Bhed compilation spheres.

So you can either restart your game, or use an early game save point to pick up that one Al Bhed primer you missed, save the game, and then compile a complete dictionary between the two saves.

I rolled the bones, paid Yojimbo a million gil (on my 4th time summoning him) and he Zanmato'd it, first encounter :haw:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Man I really love Sphere Break but gently caress my luck in the Shinra match. I cannot beat him apparently. The RNG will not allow it.

I beat him my first try last time I played X-2, why is this so much harder?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

As I work slowly towards my Platinum for FFX, I have a few questions about stat maxing:

1. Is maxing Magic worth it? It's the last stat I need to max and currently grinding for Magic spheres is a huge pain.
2. What exactly is required for the Sphere Grid completion trophies? I've unlocked the paths to all the extra areas on the standard grid so every character now has every ability but there are still a couple of Lv 4 Keyshperes I have yet to remove. To get the trophy, do I need to "travel" across every single node and/or remove all keyspheres?
3. It looks like i'm going to have a bunch of empty nodes left over, so is it worth pumping up HP? I was thinking it might be useful on Yuna for giving aeons more HP but i'm not planning on using any Break HP limit armour on my characters.
4. I read somewhere that increasing Agility beyond 170 is pointless. Is this true?
5. And finally.... Eva+Acc vs Luck: what do you guys think? I've already maxed Evasion and Accuracy but it was so easy, i'm wondering now if trying for max Luck wouldn't be better (please say no).

In conclusion, maxing stats is really goddamn tedious and I hope I never have to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Once you get the airship the first thing I do is savescum geosageneo to get no encounters, then run through omega ruins to steal overdrive-> AP items from Ultima Weapon. If you can't kill him just bribe him. Best things to put OD->AP on are capture weapons (slayer/victor) and then the Triple AP weapons from One Eye.

There is 1 good dark aeon drop (ribbon armor with 3 empty slots), and is only worth save scumming if you're masochistic. All the weapons are useless because the celestials are better and there are a ton of poo poo armors with garbage abilities like curseproof and fire eater.

Blitz Ace is really useful since overdrives never miss and dark aeons will dodge your quick hits even if you have max accuracy. It also hits through NeSlug's shell so you never have to grind for magic spheres.
Oh yeah I absolutely made sure to get No Encounters early. Random battles can get annoying really quickly. I actually managed to get the items to make Overdrive > AP Weapons. I think I had to capture one of each monster in Omega? It definitely wasn't easy, had to do stuff like bring out summons to weaken an enemy to get the last hit on it since I'm basically at "endgame" strength. Most characters are at or near the end of their paths and only a couple have started crossing over into others. Deathstrike Capture works for more enemies than you think it would in there too.

I thought Dark Aeons ONLY dropped Ribbon Armor, since the one drop I got was Break Damage Limit weapon. Glad I didn't try that then.

Taking Tidus through Auron's grid now, I hope all the STR means he can finally hit for above 9999. First celestial I get and the guy hits for half of what Wakka does.

Barudak posted:

Holy can't be doublecast, though. That said, Yuna with celestial + Holy is absolutely more than powerful enough to run roughshod over the end game.

Coincedentally, flare is garbage because dual casting it deals around the same damage as holy so it takes longer and costs a whole extra 1mp.

I had Holy on Yuna and Lulu by the time I got to Yunalesca and the constant 9999 definitely helped.

I didn't even grind either. What I did:

Lulu had like, 15 Sphere levels saved up. Once she learned the Ga spells I stopped, but would still switch her in for bosses to get the exp.

Kimahri skipped a chunk of Yuna's grid after going through Rikku's, so he was already pretty close to the end. Like, his only healing spell was Curaga.

I gave Lulu a teleport sphere to get to Kimahri, used all her saved up levels, and gave her Holy. Then Yuna learned Holy though a White Magic Sphere and bam 9999 on Yunalesca with 2 characters. I'm not using Lulu at all so don't really care that she skipped a huge chunk.