Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bobnumerotres posted:

The trick to black gulch is to just sprint through it. Just gently caress it. Just run to the boss door. You'll learn when to jump and roll to avoid being stunlocked in the wrong places.

No, the trick is to just work your way through it carefully since its a small as hell area with a bonfire right before the boss. All you need to do is navigate the leech road once to reach the second bonfire. From there, you can head straight to the boss door in about 10 seconds risk free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
First human PvP: wearing the heavy-as-balls Drangliec armor (I think 60-ish poise?), I got stunlocked by a rapier and died. Something is very wrong with poise, although it would be bullshit even with 0 poise. Easily the worst mechanic change. (Since I don't know if the significantly harder fwd+R1/R2 is intentional, that gets provisional second place.) I'm starting to think the game is balanced worse than Demon's Souls, which also only had one area where a particular damage type was strictly superior.

That aside, how how do PvP players actually enforce a level limit? The honor system?

edit: I'm not sure if the Belfry Sol crossbow NPC was a reference, but it was fantastic either way.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The trick to black gulch is to just sprint through it. Just gently caress it. Just run to the boss door. You'll learn when to jump and roll to avoid being stunlocked in the wrong places.

Dunno. 64 soul arrows + binoculars is letting me snipe the poison statues. I just run back to the bonfire now and then to refill.

Shindragon posted:

Look at the ground, you can actually see their black claws popping a bit.

Also want a sure way to kill them?

Light the black pit on fire. They don't react to being on fire if you shoot the black puddle with a firearrow. Just shoot it at the corner of the black puddle pit :getin:

Well, that would be great if I had fire arrows. Didn't have any trouble killing them honestly, I just find them horrifying is all.

Edit: Though I still tried your advice and managed to get three with a single firebomb. :getin:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alkydere posted:

Dunno. 64 soul arrows + binoculars is letting me snipe the poison statues. I just run back to the bonfire now and then to refill.

Well, that would be great if I had fire arrows. Didn't have any trouble killing them honestly, I just find them horrifying is all.

Oh yeah, I don't blame you. I got grabbed by one when I got stunned by the poison arrows. Unlike the other games, tapping the buttons don't seem to do poo poo against grabs.

You'll eventually find a merchant that sells fire arrows though. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the leeches aren't scary, but it is freaky as hell when they eat you alive. Especially since you probably won't see it coming the first time.

EDIT: Anyone know a good place for coop if my soul memory is at 666,000? I can't find anywhere to be summoned. I don't get why they made the level range for coop so stingy when there are so many different places you can go.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 27, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Positronic Spleen posted:

First human PvP: wearing the heavy-as-balls Drangliec armor (I think 60-ish poise?), I got stunlocked by a rapier and died. Something is very wrong with poise, although it would be bullshit even with 0 poise. Easily the worst mechanic change. (Since I don't know if the significantly harder fwd+R1/R2 is intentional, that gets provisional second place.) I'm starting to think the game is balanced worse than Demon's Souls, which also only had one area where a particular damage type was strictly superior.

That aside, how how do PvP players actually enforce a level limit? The honor system?

edit: I'm not sure if the Belfry Sol crossbow NPC was a reference, but it was fantastic either way.

Poise is still broken in this game, so you're better off wearing armor for ~style~ points and just dodge instead of trying to tank hits (edit and if you get hit once no matter the poise your character will react no matter what).
Because Soul Memory matters over Soul Level, you're better off leveling up instead of staying at a certain SL. You should always find action.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

I hope kids can't go hollow :pedo:.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Are you serious? That's the dumbest poo poo ever.

Well, unless I was in a pvp covenant area I've not once been invaded. I really don't believe that this is because red eye orbs are scarce. I'm already in areas far past the point where you can join the invasion covenant, not a single invader but I can always summon phantoms. What gives?

By tracking how many souls you have spent it theoretically tracks equipment and items as well as stats and, again theoretically, make the matches more balanced. A slv1 guy in end game equipment can't go running around slaughtering low level characters and instead has to deal with guys who have spent a comparatively similar amount of souls on stats and equipment.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So apparently there are some instances where I can summon NPCS to help me fight bosses. I've mostly just summoned other people to help me and read up later on the wiki that having the NPC there cause some kind of personal story to advance. Is there any way to get them to advance without fighting the bosses (Considering I can't do the bosses anymore).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

If I kicked your rear end in belfry luna I'm sorry.

(I'm not sorry being a muscle wizard is too much fun)

I'm gonna have to get some sorcery. Got the two cestuseseses, but I'm no Muscle Wizard yet.

On a side note, is anyone else like me and they don't like summoning phantoms, and only the odd shade, for help? Maybe I should join the covenant of champions and be properly Awesome. Hmm!

Then again I'm only just starting Heide's Tower of Flame. I'd probably get horribly brutalized :saddowns:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

neetengie posted:

Poise is still broken in this game, so you're better off wearing armor for ~style~ points and just dodge instead of trying to tank hits (edit and if you get hit once no matter the poise your character will react no matter what).
Because Soul Memory matters over Soul Level, you're better off leveling up instead of staying at a certain SL. You should always find action.

Poise does work, just differently than in Dks. I've poisetanked hits before. The exact mechanics of how it works haven't been figured out yet, though.

And heavy armor is good for legitimate tanking now; get enough defense and shrug off everything but the stronger spells.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

On a side note, is anyone else like me and they don't like summoning phantoms, and only the odd shade, for help? Maybe I should join the covenant of champions and be properly Awesome. Hmm!

First time playing a Souls game I don't use any phantoms on the bosses because they tend to make them trivial. The balance for some bosses is better in this regard, but there are definitely a lot that are a joke with even one other person.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You're name wouldn't happen to be mustache would it? Because a guy named mustache who looked exactly like that helped me beat the three brass statue boss when the game was released.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So apparently there are some instances where I can summon NPCS to help me fight bosses. I've mostly just summoned other people to help me and read up later on the wiki that having the NPC there cause some kind of personal story to advance. Is there any way to get them to advance without fighting the bosses (Considering I can't do the bosses anymore).

No so you have to RAISE THE BOSSES FROM THEIR GRAVES AND CONQUER THEIR EVEN MORE POWERFUL FORMS!!

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....

DSauer posted:

I hope kids can't go hollow :pedo:.

Haha that's me !!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a guide anywhere that shows what your soul memory and/or soul level should be for each area if you want to do co-op? I've done a lot of co-op so I'm nearing one million soul memory with only two major bosses down, Lost Sinner and Iron King. I'm also nearing SL75.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I've always meleed it up, both in Dark Souls 1 and as an explorer start in DS2. I'm powerstancing maces and generally doing alright, but I'm getting a bit bored and want to branch out into magic. I'm SL63 and have a few soul vessels to respec - what equipment/spells/stat allocation should I look at?

E: Basically anything but pyromancy, which bores me. Miracles/sorcery/hexes - I don't really care.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Boarding the ghost ship at No-Man's Wharf, thinking I'm being sneaky and then all of a sudden A DOZEN loving DUDES BOARD THE SHIP AND TEAR ME APART

First poo poo-my-pants moment so far.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This soul memory system seriously blows. I can't even farm enemies while I wait to be summoned because I'm making myself less likely to be summoned by accumulating more souls. Ugh.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Genocyber posted:

Poise does work, just differently than in Dks. I've poisetanked hits before. The exact mechanics of how it works haven't been figured out yet, though.

And heavy armor is good for legitimate tanking now; get enough defense and shrug off everything but the stronger spells.

That's good to hear at least, do you notice anything specifically needed for poise to work?

The Iron Rose posted:

So I've always meleed it up, both in Dark Souls 1 and as an explorer start in DS2. I'm powerstancing maces and generally doing alright, but I'm getting a bit bored and want to branch out into magic. I'm SL63 and have a few soul vessels to respec - what equipment/spells/stat allocation should I look at?

E: Basically anything but pyromancy, which bores me. Miracles/sorcery/hexes - I don't really care.

go hexes and never go back, it scales on the lowest of the two (faith/int), i don't think the OP for the PC thread has it but the Console thread has a guide linked in the OP on how to become a hexer. Caitha's Chime, and the Sunset staff are good for starting out Hexers - Caitha's is second best while a later chime is the best from what I've seen/heard/read/experienced.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Wait Hdmi isn't supposed to work? I've been playing on my second monitor via Hdmi since launch day...haven't tried my tv though.

I've been doing rat/bell pvp with my tanks build and it's been a blast. Super heavy armor, and I switch between the bastard sword and great sword depending on who I'm fighting. I take very little damage, and I can just feel people getting frustrated while fighting me.

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 27, 2014

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

neetengie posted:

I'm not concerned about finding other people to play against; I was never big into PvP in this series, I'm just curious if the game is even capable of supporting a PvP scene like the others did. I'm kind of hoping poise doesn't end up being an all-or-nothing proposition like Dark Souls, nor a stunlock vs hyperarmor (based on weapon animation) situation like Demon's Souls, but even then I can't recall a single situation in DS2 where poise has helped me at all. If it improved stunlock recovery, that would be a start.

Frankly, I think they should have just taken the Dark Souls matching system, but instead of gating based on level, scale health/damage to the host's level, but with a preference to match with the closest leveled host. That or make soul memory based only on souls applied to stats & carried equipment instead of total gained ever (and possibly lost).

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 27, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh man, I thought the gutter would be the scariest place for me but then I went and found a fogged up area in the shaded woods that I think is the top of the list for most tense areas in a video game.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

How viable are the Twinblades? (and specifically, the basic twinblade? I picked the wrong thing for the dragonrider so I'm hoping I didn't screw myself off the best weapon in that category.)

I love the moveset a lot, but I'm mostly dex and faith so maybe with lightning infuse? I'd love to do poison though, but I don't know if I'd be able to get any damage out of it that way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Daynab posted:

How viable are the Twinblades? (and specifically, the basic twinblade? I picked the wrong thing for the dragonrider so I'm hoping I didn't screw myself off the best weapon in that category.)

I love the moveset a lot, but I'm mostly dex and faith so maybe with lightning infuse? I'd love to do poison though, but I don't know if I'd be able to get any damage out of it that way.

Twinblades are pretty poo poo for the most part. They degrade pretty fast and do poor damage. The three exceptions: the Str scaling stone twinblade, Magic Dragonrider's Twinblade buffed with CMW, and Raw Santier's Spear. Santier's Spear is especially good, since it has only some twinblade moves and others from other movestes (like the halberd's spin2win running attack).

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I'm sure some vexatious goon has already posted this, but if you're running an agile/ranged build you can really cheese Belfry Luna invasions by going up the stairs to the first floor and then dropping down through one of the holes in the floor into that one room where the only way in is through the ceiling. Chances are, you get a few seconds to take a swig of Estus to fix the fall damage before the invader tumbles blithely into the room, taking fall damage he can't heal from. Invaders can't get in there any other way, and most pubbies tend to be impatient morons who are bent only on crushing your skull; I typically don't have to wait longer than a minute before one breaks and decides to come after me. Then when they drop down, run out of the room and go back up the staircase and down into the hole again, and hopefully they'll pursue you again and again until they die hilariously from the accumulating fall damage and, being a proper dick, you flash the "Mock" expression at them.

I had a string of 5 guys invade me tonight on my first venture in there on my wizard character and without fail they chased me over and over again until breaking themselves on the floor or mercifully eating a soul arrow after getting softened up by falls.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
It's dumb as hell that I had to buy poo poo from Maughlin that I won't use just to access the Alva Set, but it's so cool looking I don't even mind now. :allears:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Stone Twinblade is some good poo poo. You have to get right up in an enemy's craw, but if you hit with all of the attacks on the 2h r1 combo, you can average around 1000 damage at 30 str (2000 if you expend all your stamina.) They respond really well to being buffed too.

The Red Iron Twinblade would be better if it had good scaling, but it has a fairly unique moveset that's pretty good.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

So is Immolation useful?

I'd really like to run a gimmick build wherein I punch people while on fire but I don't know if there is enough fire resistance to stop it just being frustrating.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

The Iron Rose posted:

Attunement is probably a big one for all of them since leveling it will give you more slots to equip spells. Level intelligence if you want to focus on sorcery, faith for miracles, both for hexes. If you get faith and intelligence to 20 you can get the Hexer's set from a guy in Huntsman's Copse, the headpiece will give you extra casts. I liked the Southern Ritual band because it gave me some extra attunement slots.

I pretty much just used the basic sorceror's staff and priest's chime (with upgrades) until later when I found a cool hybrid staff and really good chime for hexes.

Doctor Albatross posted:

Boarding the ghost ship at No-Man's Wharf, thinking I'm being sneaky and then all of a sudden A DOZEN loving DUDES BOARD THE SHIP AND TEAR ME APART

First poo poo-my-pants moment so far.

Yeah they're hiding in the water on the sides of a dock on the way to the ship. In case you want to kill them to avoid the ambush.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've got a whole bunch of boss souls and now am I'm wondering if there are any in particular that make really good/useful weapons in the vein of Quelaag's Fury Sword. Stuff that most people would want in their first playthrough.

e: Nobody seems to get my "Hurrah for two-handing, therefore visions of giant..." message in front of chest with the Zwei. :saddowns:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 27, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So...assume I never played any of the Souls games for extended periods of time, and my playstyle is "wait for a whiff, hit them as much as I can, roll the gently caress out of there". Does DEX/ADP/AGI(?) sounds like a good build plan for that? I'm dying a bunch because I'm bad and using the Heide Knight Sword that I conquered after dying four times to the rear end in a top hat, two of them when he had pixel health. It seems like anything more than two hits in a row leave me wide open for a counter, sometimes even two hits. I'm guessing that's lack of poise damage, so I guess I should figure out a good Dex weapon with either super-fast animations or a lot of poise damage? Hmm.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think you killed me

So, this soul memory people are talking about, if I do a lot of co-op, which gets you a ton of souls, that's going to make it less likely for people to connect with me? That's really sad, I like helping people out a lot.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Twinblades are pretty poo poo for the most part. They degrade pretty fast and do poor damage. The three exceptions: the Str scaling stone twinblade, Magic Dragonrider's Twinblade buffed with CMW, and Raw Santier's Spear. Santier's Spear is especially good, since it has only some twinblade moves and others from other movestes (like the halberd's spin2win running attack).

Aw, that's disappointing :( I guess I'll check out the Spear though I'm a ways away.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

12 hours in and I'm just finding out that upgrading your catalysts increase the damage spells do.

Oh gently caress me, why didn't I think to see if I could do that? I was just assuming you couldn't like in the previous game.

I'm up to the iron keep and been using a non-upgraded weapon this whole time. :psyduck:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Genocyber posted:

Not quite. Great Club is better. You can oneshot most lesser enemies, take out virtually everything weaker than a boss with two 2handed r2s, and take out bosses in no time at all.
Had to quote this again because in like 3 tries (or 2) I showed up 2-handing an unupgraded Great Club and just pulverized the gargoyles no joke.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you do this? Why would you not want a dedicated jump button? :psyduck:

I rebound it to the old way because I'm bad at pushing the dpad in and usually ended up turning in the wrong direction and jumping when I pushed it down

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This game is massive. Been playing a ton since release and I only have 2 out of the 4 big bad souls. Still plenty of places left to explore, and so much stuff I haven't even tried yet. Its a shame the online is so strict, it really doesn't mesh with the nonlinear progression.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you do this? Why would you not want a dedicated jump button? :psyduck:

Some people are just used to how it was in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. that's why I switched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm getting a micro-stutter issue. The game runs fine maxed but it 'skips' a little every few seconds, it's really noticable when walking somewhere. I had a similar issue in New Vegas and I recall having to futz with the ini settings to fix it. Is there any solution for it yet in DS2? I'm not seeing vsync or any sort of framerate lock. It's also worth mentioning this only happens when fullscreen.