Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

double nine posted:

The second is that this satellite is flying higher than both its periapsis and apoapsis. What the hell??!

I'm reading this as:
Periapsis: 1,485,289 m
Current Altitude: 1,486,349 m
Apoapsis: 1,585,541 m

Which seems to make sense. Or am I missing something?...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Do we have any confirmation that .24 (or future versions) will provide us the ability to transfer experiments from their respective parts without going EVA? I only ask because my last lander had the parts kinda buried and I couldn't get a Kerbal close enough to grab the data.

e: I have the mod that lets you do it, but it doesn't render the right experiments unusable and so is kinda cheaty.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

e: I have the mod that lets you do it, but it doesn't render the right experiments unusable and so is kinda cheaty.

Ship Manifest does properly render the experiments unusable and also lets you transfer kerbals and fuels, although the UI is a bit poo poo.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Cheekio posted:

Did you start with the probe core, or did you start with something else? I don't think the subassembly area will accept entire ships including the starting piece.

That must be the problem, I was indeed starting with the probe core.

Garbo
May 30, 2011
In the previous thread there was a mech jeb ascent profile with FAR posted that worked great for me. I deleted my saves and can't remember the exact numbers for my new save, however, and now I can't find the post. If I remember correctly it started at 200m and ended at 70km and had a very hard turn. Does anyone remember it/have a link to the post?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
There is a guy working on a b9 expansion that has the option of replacing stock c7 parts: D12 aerotech

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Meat Dimension posted:

I'm reading this as:
Periapsis: 1,485,289 m
Current Altitude: 1,486,349 m
Apoapsis: 1,585,541 m

Which seems to make sense. Or am I missing something?...

Oh son of a dick. Don't play ksp when you're too fatigued, i guess.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Garbo posted:

In the previous thread there was a mech jeb ascent profile with FAR posted that worked great for me. I deleted my saves and can't remember the exact numbers for my new save, however, and now I can't find the post. If I remember correctly it started at 200m and ended at 70km and had a very hard turn. Does anyone remember it/have a link to the post?

I set mine at 200m/70km with a 45% turn and it seems to work fine with most rockets.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ratzap, Do you have Platinum? I need to pick your brains but don't want to poo poo up this thread unnecessarily. There's something I'm overlooking either to do with naming convention or file location and I'm not sure what.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

nimper posted:

I set mine at 200m/70km with a 45% turn and it seems to work fine with most rockets.

That causes my rockets to do flips at about 3km.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

Don't all FAR rockets do that?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Spookydonut posted:

Add fairings and make your rockets look more like dicks. Also add wings around the bottom to move the center of lift behind the center of mass.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

General_Failure posted:

Ratzap, Do you have Platinum? I need to pick your brains but don't want to poo poo up this thread unnecessarily. There's something I'm overlooking either to do with naming convention or file location and I'm not sure what.

have the conversation here, there is basically no documentation about modding so anything that you say here could be useful for someone later.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

nimper posted:

Add fairings and make your rockets look more like dicks. Also add wings around the bottom to move the center of lift behind the center of mass.

I'm using proc fairings, the thing is positively phallic. I've found about 80% turn shape causes no issues.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Splode posted:

have the conversation here, there is basically no documentation about modding so anything that you say here could be useful for someone later.

If people are okay with that. I just feel kind of silly because my questions are kind of rudimentary. Any tutorials I've found are kind of vague and not too well written. I don't blame the writers though because technical documentation isn't for everyone. I know being taught it was dry as hell.

I'm tired so I can't be specific right now but one thing I'm finding a little unclear is whether the .dll needs to share a name with the directory the mod is put in in GameData? Also whether a freshly compiled .dll yanked from "debug" (this kind of bothers me for reasons) can just be shoved in a Plugins directory in a directory I created in GameData for my experiments.

I'll chuck this link here. It has potential but it gets vague in key areas which I'm finding frustrating. Ratzap provided some big pieces to the puzzle of getting the basics sorted and I didn't want to have to rely totally on that help. It's disjointed, vague about things like naming conventions and kind of trails off at a critical point.
http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Creating_your_first_module

Maybe I'm rear end backwards but what I'm having trouble with is working out the idiosyncrasies of the framework needed to get started. There's enough skeletons and mods with available source around to pull apart to work out the details of implementation. Or so it seems. Don't make me wrong, Internet.

e:
Have an image

It's the Kethane probe I sent to Minmus to make up for the lost scanner of the mining rig I sent out there. Not only is it compact but it utilizes a buttload of separatrons to deorbit the tanks when empty.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 27, 2014

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
When using FAR, I've found that the best way to use MJ for ascent is to hold vertical with SAS until 100-250m, depending on TWR. At that point, pitch over to 85 degrees, on whatever flight azimuth you want (typically 90). Then, depending again on TWR, 1000-2500m, go to ADV in Smart rear end, select surface_velocity forward, and then let that ride until about 24km.

By that point, you should be down to about 30-40° pitch, if you timed your turns right. If you turned too late, you'll be lofting, and have more pitch. If you turned too early, you'll probably get bogged down in the atmosphere, pitching over too fast, and have to abort.

At 24km or so, sometimes a little higher (this isn't critical) switch to orbit prograde and ride until your apoapsis is satisfactory. Ditch fairings at 35 km or so, I try to have first stage burnout just before then.

Coast to Ap and circularize.

As you can see it involves a bit of button mashing on Smart rear end, I typically configure all these modes before liftoff. Set surf to 85 pitch, and ADV to surface velocity forward before takeoff, that way it's just switch panel, click execute when you're ready.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 27, 2014

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

General_Failure posted:

If people are okay with that. I just feel kind of silly because my questions are kind of rudimentary. Any tutorials I've found are kind of vague and not too well written. I don't blame the writers though because technical documentation isn't for everyone. I know being taught it was dry as hell.

I'm tired so I can't be specific right now but one thing I'm finding a little unclear is whether the .dll needs to share a name with the directory the mod is put in in GameData? Also whether a freshly compiled .dll yanked from "debug" (this kind of bothers me for reasons) can just be shoved in a Plugins directory in a directory I created in GameData for my experiments.

I'll chuck this link here. It has potential but it gets vague in key areas which I'm finding frustrating. Ratzap provided some big pieces to the puzzle of getting the basics sorted and I didn't want to have to rely totally on that help. It's disjointed, vague about things like naming conventions and kind of trails off at a critical point.
http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Creating_your_first_module

Maybe I'm rear end backwards but what I'm having trouble with is working out the idiosyncrasies of the framework needed to get started. There's enough skeletons and mods with available source around to pull apart to work out the details of implementation. Or so it seems. Don't make me wrong, Internet.

e:
Have an image

It's the Kethane probe I sent to Minmus to make up for the lost scanner of the mining rig I sent out there. Not only is it compact but it utilizes a buttload of separatrons to deorbit the tanks when empty.

as far as I can tell, it does not matter what the DLL is named. people use subdirectories because it segments the plugins neatly. You can also have interdependent DLLs within a plugin and between plugins.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

Nope but I'm the same name on steam (I assume you have a steam account), we can chat via that if you like. Or as Splode said, we can just do it here. Mono creates your new DLL as <project>\Temp\bin\Debug\Assembly-CSharp.dll by default. You can change that by going to Project-> Assembly-CSharp Options - for instance I tell it to create the DLL as Fusebox.dll, you can switch debug to prod here too.

A KSP DLL can be called anything that doesn't conflict with another DLL, there also seems to be some kind of tie in between the namespace and the DLL file name. If you use KSP.IO to load/save configs, it automatically creates a subdirectory called PluginData\<dllname> in the folder your DLL is sitting in. So it makes sense to keep it tidy and put your stuff in a folder underneath GameData but it's relative so you can put it several layers deeper too if you fancy.

Ah, that wiki page is very, very old and the example won't work. To output to KSPs log file you use Debug.Log("a string"); Looking at it again it's a PartModule override, meaning code associated with a part you create. That's different from a plugin, you can tell because there is no :MonoBehviour; and no KSPAddon stuff.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I just saw there's a new FAR version, 13.2:

Update to Module Manager 2.0.3
Aerodynamically-induced structural failures will now be applied. Beware of high dynamic pressure
Updated flight status section of Flight GUI to be somewhat more useful and handle more situations
Added IAS and velocity in knots, mph and km/h to the airspeed settings
Reduced supersonic and transonic drag to somewhat more reasonable levels
Increased floating point precision to double; also gets better performance

Note the bolded line - oh yeah, this is going to be good :jeb: Launch too fast and try to turn? Skreeech, crack, boom! hehe

And Sarbian wrote something to add all new researched stuff at once instead of having to click them all one by one, I could hug him.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78067-0-23-5-Research-Them-All-1-0-%28April-27%29

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
So, in my current game I realised I had quite a lot of science left to gather around the KSC.

I felt like a change from rockets, and I've just unlocked some more varied parts, so I built this as a testbed:

And flew it to the island airstrip:

And, because I can, parked it in the hangar.

Next, I built the fully-SCIENCE-equipped version to fly to the mountains. It needed a bit more control authority I felt, so it also gained control surfaces.

It actually flies pretty well and can get up to about 110m/s at 6000m.

Unfortunately, the mountains aren't an easy place to land in the clouds!

Ah well, almost all my science instruments survived so it was still worth it.

I am considering making a new version, but with rotating engine mounts (courtesy of Infernal Robotics).

(Mods used are many, including FAR, B9 and Firespitter.)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Is the physics engine capable of simulating quadcopters?

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
It's capable of simulating anything if you can suspend your disbelief hard enough.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I've landed on the Mun three times now. The first time, I didn't cancel out my sideways momentum enough, and tumbled over in the landing. The next two times, I came down beautifully, gracefully, carefully, straight down... onto the side of a hill, and promptly fell over again.

"gently caress it," says I, "I'll try Minmus instead."

Looks good so far.

poo poo... not again. For a precarious few seconds, I was balanced on one strut while SAS kept me level, with the other two struts in the air. Fearing the worst, I disabled SAS for a moment, then re-enabled it once all the struts touched down... then finally disabled it again. I stayed upright, but I wondered if the added weight of a Kerbal climbing down the ladder would tip me over.

Well how about that! I'm still upright! Hooray!

Did he just bump into the... wait, poo poo.

poo poo

It's good that he looks happy, because the lander fell directly onto the side with the ladder. I can't get back in to even try to ramp off the hill into orbit (not that that's gone well when I've tried it before). Welcome to your new home, you dopey green bastard.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

EightBit posted:

Is the physics engine capable of simulating quadcopters?

If you mean "is it capable of simulating 4 fixed thrust points" then yes.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

TACD posted:

It's good that he looks happy, because the lander fell directly onto the side with the ladder. I can't get back in to even try to ramp off the hill into orbit (not that that's gone well when I've tried it before). Welcome to your new home, you dopey green bastard.

Try flexing the landing gear in/out a few times and see if you can get the ship to roll over. :jeb:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
If it's minimus the gravity is so low you may be able to just push it until the hatch is visible again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PDP-1 posted:

Try flexing the landing gear in/out a few times and see if you can get the ship to roll over. :jeb:
He can't get in so he can't control it.. Unless you can retract/extend landing gear via the context menu on EVA?

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

Try setting an acceleration limit if using Mechjeb or eyeball your G forces. 25m/s2 seems to help for certain bordeline cases and is likely more fuel efficient besides.

(My rationale is that going a bit slower lessens the aerodynamic shear forces you inevitably get when turning.)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Collateral Damage posted:

He can't get in so he can't control it.. Unless you can retract/extend landing gear via the context menu on EVA?
Yea, that's the first thing I tried. The button shows up but doesn't do anything, so I can't retract the legs. And I can't roll the ship so the ladder is accessible because the legs are out :v:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
You're just not hitting it with enough velocity!

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I'm sure it will surprise nobody to learn that my tilt-quadrotor designs have been... unsuccessful so far.

Anyone ever done this successfully? I can fly forwards fine, I can reach about 200m/s, but I cannot successfully land. Or turn.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Collateral Damage posted:

Yep!

Plus as mentioned he can probably roll it manually.

Before you try ramping it to orbit, try to SAS yourself upright. You should be able to at least angle it enough to avoid needing to ramp.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Brovine posted:

Anyone ever done this successfully? I can fly forwards fine, I can reach about 200m/s, but I cannot successfully land. Or turn.

Have you been making sure the CoM and CoT are lined up vertically? I used that and SAS initially, with TAC fuel balancer and that multiple-engine-throttle-mod whose name I cannot remember for the life of me for longer flights.

... I think my next challenge is to make a Duna VTOL. Think "Last Days on Mars" without the terrible movie part of it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If you want more stability on landing use four struts instead of three struts. The extra weight is negligible and it makes landing a ton easier.

An asteroid spawned with just the right trajectory to get sucked into Kerbin's SOI, so I've got a Class C rock in a 35Mx250km orbit. I haven't built a rocket big enough to adjust it into a less elliptical orbit yet but I've taken surface samples!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 27, 2014

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sent four identical mini landers to biome scum Minmus and return. Forgot parachutes. First one crashed trying a powered landing after a steep reentry, second landed hard but mostly intact, third I sent an unmanned probe up to carry KAS containers with pipe ends and radial chutes to, refueled, and landed successfully. Also fitted a spare chute to the probe and returned it, too. Great fun!

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Sent four identical mini landers to biome scum Minmus and return. Forgot parachutes. First one crashed trying a powered landing after a steep reentry, second landed hard but mostly intact, third I sent an unmanned probe up to carry KAS containers with pipe ends and radial chutes to, refueled, and landed successfully. Also fitted a spare chute to the probe and returned it, too. Great fun!

Pretty sure Minmus has no atmosphere, so you parachutes would not have done anything

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

LunarShadow posted:

Pretty sure Minmus has no atmosphere, so you parachutes would not have done anything

Kerbin does, though! :pseudo:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

LunarShadow posted:

They're for the return portion

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

pik_d posted:

They're for the return portion

Right, duh. :downs: Way he phrased made me think he meant he crashed on Minmus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

LunarShadow posted:

Right, duh. :downs: Way he phrased made me think he meant he crashed on Minmus.

But he said reentry

• Locked thread