Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Streaming PC if anyone cares
http://twitch.tv/alansmitheeplays

Godfucking damnit my DS4 isnt working...

I got it working last time I played. Now I turn on the xinput mapper thingy and the controller lights up, but nothing

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Oh Rosebeth ... you wanted clothes, and I ended up giving her the prisoner stuff which happens to be more revealing. Whoops.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

There, my next Dex, Str, and Int characters are all set up, ready to go. This is the best/dumbest thing I could have done with this character creator.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Shindragon posted:

Look at the ground, you can actually see their black claws popping a bit.

Also want a sure way to kill them?

Light the black pit on fire. They don't react to being on fire if you shoot the black puddle with a firearrow. Just shoot it at the corner of the black puddle pit :getin:

I did this but with fire bombs instead. I accidentally hit one while trying to get rid of those traps from afar. Oops, sorry there guys! :flame:

Sober posted:

I guess you could add "too many armoured enemies" right beside "too many humanoid enemies" on the list of things to blame FromSoftware for in Dark Souls 2 :shrug:

Honestly I would just come back later unless you absolutely have to or you've exhausted literally every other area.

Really I think my problem is just Too Many Enemies. Ambush sandwiches all over the place? Check. Gangbang claymore armed swordmen who recover twice as fast as average dudes? Check. Boss fights where you have three, four, nine assholes all looking for a piece of your rear end? Check! A trio of pigs that are smaller than you yet twice as tanky?? Check!!

Honestly it does make victories much more satisfying, I think that anyone who blunders into the Room of Five Bastards with Bastard Swords, or the Room with Not as Many Bastards but With Giant Crossbows Specifically There Just to Shoot You Dead, is going to remember those encounters quite (un)fondly.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The pigs in Majula are great. They're so pointless but so strong.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Look Dark Souls, I understand that rapiers might not be the most effective weapon against skeletons, but if my normal hits do around 100 damage then there's no reason for a parry/riposte to do just 39 :colbert:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There was a real shift in encounter design between 1 and 2, where they're a lot more fine with throwing lots of enemies at you at once, rather than single or pairs of enemies. You could easily notice it in the DLC content of Dark Souls 1 as well, where the environment design was weird and complicated to make fighting with lots of weaker, but fast and complex enemies more possible and more interesting.

I think that was a design theme they tried to keep in 2. The 9 swordsmen fuckers in the Bastille, the tons of stone soldiers, etc. They didn't always succeed though because there's a few areas where you fight tons of enemies but it's just in a big open arena and there's not much you can do.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

nftyw posted:

Really I think my problem is just Too Many Enemies. Ambush sandwiches all over the place? Check. Gangbang claymore armed swordmen who recover twice as fast as average dudes? Check. Boss fights where you have three, four, nine assholes all looking for a piece of your rear end? Check! A trio of pigs that are smaller than you yet twice as tanky?? Check!!

Honestly it does make victories much more satisfying, I think that anyone who blunders into the Room of Five Bastards with Bastard Swords, or the Room with Not as Many Bastards but With Giant Crossbows Specifically There Just to Shoot You Dead, is going to remember those encounters quite (un)fondly.

yeah this has been my experience with the game too. I've died way more to trash in the first bit of this game than I ever did in Demon's or Dark Souls. Sometimes it feels sorta unfair, but c'est la vie.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Did they change parrying in any significant way? By the time I was done with DS1 I felt like the god-king of parrying, but in this game I can't seem to parry anything reliably.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Do ultra greatswords lose extra durability if you miss and hit a wall or something? I'll swing my Crypt Blacksword, miss, and then poof half the durability is gone.

My mace never went this fast. I'm burning through repair powder.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's...really not a matter of level, since stats vary tremendously based on what class you choose and what stats you choose to pump when you level up. If you can equip the stuff you want to wear and you think you can manage the rates at which you're taking/dealing damage with your current equipment and stats, then you're levelled enough for your purposes. For one person that point's going to be at level 1, for another it's gonna be level 150. There's other places you can go besides the citadel, though, if you're fed up with the sentinels.

Oh, no, it's OK, I did kill them eventually. But yeah, I get your point. I was about Lv43 but like 12 of those levels were just used on getting an attunement slot and 12 Faith, since I wanted to be able to use Heal. That's been a lifesaver.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Konjuro posted:

Did they change parrying in any significant way? By the time I was done with DS1 I felt like the god-king of parrying, but in this game I can't seem to parry anything reliably.

Parrying windows seem to be narrower, but more importantly enemies have a broader variety of timings on their own attacks, so you have to be watching REAAAAAL carefully to catch them. Also, a lot of enemy attacks have very small amounts of start-up which makes parrying them on reaction harder.

All in all parrying is much more of a gamble unless you've got your nervous system cybernetically enhanced.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Do ultra greatswords lose extra durability if you miss and hit a wall or something? I'll swing my Crypt Blacksword, miss, and then poof half the durability is gone.

Everything does, yeah. It's one of the changes I'm really not a big fan of, anything less than 75 durability feels like it breaks in no time. Keep in mind that sitting at a bonfire refills weapon durability as long as it's not broken.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Weapons lose durability from hitting walls and even corpses. There's a weapon that you have to "unlock" by breaking all 500 durability and hitting a corpse with the R2 burned through 10 durability a hit for me on a large armored enemy.

That said you still shouldn't be burning through powder :I

Orv
May 4, 2011
If anyone has a spare Old Knight Shield, or Old Knight UGS they don't want around 120K SM I'd love you forever.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
My favorite part of the sentinels is their shield throwing attack. Why? Because they can throw their shield, and then they don't have one anymore....but then they can throw another shield from off screen and kill you.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Black Gulch.

Now there's a boss that isn't just a dude in armor. :stare:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Sinatrapod posted:

Parrying windows seem to be narrower, but more importantly enemies have a broader variety of timings on their own attacks, so you have to be watching REAAAAAL carefully to catch them. Also, a lot of enemy attacks have very small amounts of start-up which makes parrying them on reaction harder.

All in all parrying is much more of a gamble unless you've got your nervous system cybernetically enhanced.

Well I have played through MGR:R on Revengeance difficulty. :unsmigghh:

This character is mainly for me to mess around until they fix the VAC issue, so maybe I'll keep at it a bit longer. I'll either master it or die trying :darksouls:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've gone sorcerer after never using magic in dark souls 1 since I was a pyromancer in that and didn't need to boost a stat for it. How should I be looking to improve my stats as I level other than int for spells?

Also will I be using just spells for attacking or will I still need a weapon?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PCGamingWiki says that Flawless Widescreen should be able to remove the letterboxing from the game, which is incredibly loving obnoxious, but I can't make it work.
Image ends up being quite stretched and while some UI looks good most of it is also stretched to hell.

Has anyone had any success removing letterboxing from the game? I'm really desperate here.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Can anyone help me out with this? I think I've encountered a glitch.

I believe putting a lockstone there is supposed to open the door, but its kinda stuck. Anything I can do? Just to make sure I put a stone in the slot on the right side as well, just didn't get it in the picture.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jack Trades posted:

PCGamingWiki says that Flawless Widescreen should be able to remove the letterboxing from the game, which is incredibly loving obnoxious, but I can't make it work.
Image ends up being quite stretched and while some UI looks good most of it is also stretched to hell.

Has anyone had any success removing letterboxing from the game? I'm really desperate here.

There... is no letterboxing, though? Try changing your resolution to your native one? If you're playing on a 4:3 or 5:4 screen it should just automatically make it that aspect ratio.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

You have no idea how confused I was when I saw this.

I almost never did any multiplayer stuff in the first Dark Souls and never did magic so I never saw this before, hahah

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 27, 2014

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Konjuro posted:

fix the VAC issue

the what :confused:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I believe putting a lockstone there is supposed to open the door, but its kinda stuck. Anything I can do? Just to make sure I put a stone in the slot on the right side as well, just didn't get it in the picture.

Yeah the floor Contraption opens that bottom section, if it didn't work you may be hosed. Try resting at a bonfire and coming back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Voluspa posted:

the what :confused:

People who are VAC banned in a Source engine game for hacking or similar cannot play DS2 in online mode. Apparently this is a bug.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ugh, farming the Mad Warrior is so soul crushing even with the better loading times!

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Orv posted:

Yeah the floor Contraption opens that bottom section, if it didn't work you may be hosed. Try resting at a bonfire and coming back.

Yeah I've tried that, as well as quitting the game completely and starting back up... poo poo. I really wanted what was in there.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

CJacobs posted:

There... is no letterboxing, though? Try changing your resolution to your native one? If you're playing on a 4:3 or 5:4 screen it should just automatically make it that aspect ratio.

I don't think it does. this was a problem with the first game too.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 27, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cardboard Box posted:

I don't think it does. this was a problem with the first game too.

Huh. That's a weird oversight.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Sinatrapod posted:

Why was it changed like this? You could get through the entire game aside from maybe Gwyn having never parried once np in DS1. Not like it was imbalanced or anything.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Silly question but how the hell do you unequip items? I want to drop something in my box but its not letting me unequip it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Operant posted:

Silly question but how the hell do you unequip items? I want to drop something in my box but its not letting me unequip it.

Hit X (or your 'use item' button if you're not using an xbox controller) with it selected on the equip screen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I am a child. :goatsecx:

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

CJacobs posted:

I am a child. :goatsecx:

two of us

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Konjuro posted:

Things have already been said, but additionally, loving every single implement you can parry with has a slightly (or, in some cases wildly) different parry window. So you have to learn your own first. I still have no clue how to parry with greatswords.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Beat Darklurker on my first try. This was unexpected, considering how she gave me one hell of a fight on consoles. Then again, I am playing a faith character this time through. I wonder if her debuff in the patch notes was really that drastic?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Toiwat posted:

Look Dark Souls, I understand that rapiers might not be the most effective weapon against skeletons, but if my normal hits do around 100 damage then there's no reason for a parry/riposte to do just 39 :colbert:

Hurrah for skeleton!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

edit: nm, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Me and allies beat the Three sentinels bosses in the bastille, good times. also found AMAZING armor/sword/shield combo from right under my nose where I'd least expect it, thank god for messages. hoo boy.

Speaking of which, is there anything at all to the boss souls items you get? I mean the 'Or perhaps..' part of the description, which has made me hold off of using any of them, is there anything at all that I should keep them around for? I'd hate to use them now and find out they had more important ramifications later.