Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Ahaha what in the gently caress? :psyboom: Why is his mustache visible through the helmet?

sharpies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Back to Aunt May's Elderly Romance!

:3:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: File under "I can't believe neither of them saw that coming." (April 30, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean, which the syndicate is still trying to convince us is about "contemporary issues affecting young adults".

Classic Popeye Sunday gives Wimpy his first workout of the year. (c. 1942)

Pogo continues the Pollution Olympics, and speaking of poisoning the environment, it's everybody's favorite storekeeper! (April 16, 1972, click for XL)

First-Gen Blondie: As any follower of Bob will tell you, the foes of slack are relentless. (c. 1942)

Out Our Way (November 10-11, 1924)

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The U.S. Mint's headquarters are in Washington, D.C., but coins are produced at local branches in Philadelphia, PA; Denver, CO; San Francisco, CA; and West Point, NY. The third tourist is lying and is the burglar.

Slylock Fox

I swear Slylock has copies of his detective certificate in every room in his house. It's not really deterring these constant break ins, Slylock. Maybe you ought to consider taking them down because it apparently just assures the criminal that he has the right house.

Moose and Molly

Molly woke Moose up at 11 am and spent an hour 15 minutes to tell him what chores needed to be done at which point Moose ate breakfast. Ok.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I'm surprised this was allowed in any papers.

Retail

This exact joke was done just this past year, and I'm sad to admit that I apparently pay more attention to this comic than Retail's actual fanbase who eat this poo poo up and act like this is brand new. You could probably just recycle strips in perpetuity and engagement would be unaffected.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Why isn't there an entire clone army of Refurbs again?

Dustin

"Like berating my son. I have to make sure he knows how much of a failure he is."

On the Fastrack

It's one of those games that gets rereleased all the time and ported for every imaginable system. And I've still never played it.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Seriously. Unless the problem is bad beans, in which case it probably can't be helped.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EasyEW posted:

First-Gen Blondie: As any follower of Bob will tell you, the foes of slack are relentless. (c. 1942)

drat right they are. And you forgot to quote "Bob" there. :arghfist:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus rotated for ease of reading

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Say Nothing posted:

the tiny blond rabbit ate a tiger about ten times her size when she was an infant. I suspect she is some kind of Lovecraftian horror.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Manuel Calavera posted:

Family Circus rotated for ease of reading

Something terrible happened with the perspective here. Or something wonderful. I can't tell.

quote:

Foob

She's lucky her kid didn't burn her own hair off.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Green Intern posted:

She's lucky her kid didn't burn her own hair off.

Or her hand, for that matter, look at the way she's about to pick it up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Never more have I related to Gus.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fingerprints on the receiver.

Midnight Moth posted:

Moose and Molly

Molly woke Moose up at 11 am and spent an hour 15 minutes to tell him what chores needed to be done at which point Moose ate breakfast. Ok.

When I grow up I want to be just like Moose. :allears:

I guess we're meant to side with the staff on this one, but no, gently caress you. I walk into a shop and before I've had a chance to look around some staff member is asking me if I need help. Well, I don't know yet, do I? Give me a moment. And then once I've had a look, if I didn't find what I needed, I look around for a staff member, and where the hell did you all go?

I like shops that have an information counter. That way if I need help I know where to get it and if I don't then I'm not bothered. And you don't even need a counter, just a staff member at a clearly labelled location so I can find them. I understand if it's a small place that doesn't have the staff for that, but bigger places do, and seem to use their resources in the worst possible way, hassling everyone who comes through the door and having no one available to help customers already in the shop.

I guess greeting people who come in is supposed to be friendly or something, but it's annoying. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to buy some poo poo I need and leave as quickly as possible with the absolute minimum of interaction with other people.

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

It's one of those games that gets rereleased all the time and ported for every imaginable system. And I've still never played it.

You're not missing much. When it came out on PC I played it with my dad and brother, and we had a lot of fun with it. But we didn't have the internet or a computer that could handle many games. These days I'd probably spend ten minutes trying to play it properly, ten minutes with a walkthrough, and then 30 seconds looking up the ending and then never touch it again.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

This kid's been hanging out with "Roamin' Dad"... I just know it... :v:

I don't know about Maine, but the snow's been gone here in NE Ohio for about a month. We did have 3 or 4 inches a couple weeks ago but it was gone the next day. It just can't seem to warm up, though.

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/27/2003

:words: Whatever.

Zits

Hey now, I did't see a hand grenade in that pile of icons.

Of course, now you have a gigantic loving boulder in the middle of your loving garden, you boneheads.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I can relate to this, but it isn't funny.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

Hey now, I didn't see a hand grenade in that pile of icons.
Not surprising. Jeremy has a girlfriend.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

The Phantom

Pickles

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Manuel Calavera posted:

drat right they are. And you forgot to quote "Bob" there. :arghfist:

Crap, there must still be a little pink in me.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

NEXT WEEK
GIRL TROUBLE

I love Classic Prince Valiant, thanks for posting it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Midnight Moth posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Seriously. Unless the problem is bad beans, in which case it probably can't be helped.

The problem is that it's a percolator. It doesn't matter what you put in that fucker, nothing good's coming out.

e: I suppose it could be a large vacuum pot with the little spout but the machines to brew into those are pretty expensive so I assume it's a percolator.

Percolators :argh:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (April 5th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I guess greeting people who come in is supposed to be friendly or something, but it's annoying. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to buy some poo poo I need and leave as quickly as possible with the absolute minimum of interaction with other people.
Hopefully I don't come off like defending Holbrook too much here, but you'd be amazed how much trouble you can get into if you work a sales floor and don't ask every customer if they need help. It might be different nowadays then when I was doing it years ago, but it was considered "good customer service" at the time because otherwise someone might have to wait!

And if everyone was on commission, then it was even worse.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

This exact joke was done just this past year, and I'm sad to admit that I apparently pay more attention to this comic than Retail's actual fanbase who eat this poo poo up and act like this is brand new. You could probably just recycle strips in perpetuity and engagement would be unaffected.

I think the recycling jokes is a meta commentary about how working in retail is just doing the same thing over and over again in perpetuity for the rest of your life.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

"Like berating my son. I have to make sure he knows how much of a failure he is."

Steve Parker is way too good for this strip.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hopefully I don't come off like defending Holbrook too much here, but you'd be amazed how much trouble you can get into if you work a sales floor and don't ask every customer if they need help. It might be different nowadays then when I was doing it years ago, but it was considered "good customer service" at the time because otherwise someone might have to wait!

And if everyone was on commission, then it was even worse.

It's not so much good customer service as it is loss prevention. Companies have done a lot of research and found that customers who see employees walking around and actively engaging with them/other shoppers are less likely to shoplift. It also costs a lot less to pay someone minimum wage to annoy customers and feel like a jackass who knows customers will complain about him or her on the internet than it is to pay for some sort of security system or guard. Basically, gently caress retail companies.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

:words: Whatever.

So how many of these "First Swim of Spring" strips has Brooke done? Because the premise doesn't really work past the first one.

Edit: Brooke is the master of reusing "jokes" though.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

:monocle:

I really like the design of that bed.

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

And I really like that throne.

Hal Foster was amazing, is what I'm saying.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Shugojin posted:

The problem is that it's a percolator. It doesn't matter what you put in that fucker, nothing good's coming out.

e: I suppose it could be a large vacuum pot with the little spout but the machines to brew into those are pretty expensive so I assume it's a percolator.

Percolators :argh:

Percolators are generally poo poo because they're all about 10 years old and have never been cleaned properly, and they're always filled by somebody who doesn't know anything about coffee and they use 3 year old spoiled Maxwell house coffee they got on sale from Walmart.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I know those muffins aren't for Wilbur. Everyone knows he's a sandwich man.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Tiggum posted:

I guess we're meant to side with the staff on this one, but no, gently caress you. I walk into a shop and before I've had a chance to look around some staff member is asking me if I need help. Well, I don't know yet, do I? Give me a moment. And then once I've had a look, if I didn't find what I needed, I look around for a staff member, and where the hell did you all go?

I like shops that have an information counter. That way if I need help I know where to get it and if I don't then I'm not bothered. And you don't even need a counter, just a staff member at a clearly labelled location so I can find them. I understand if it's a small place that doesn't have the staff for that, but bigger places do, and seem to use their resources in the worst possible way, hassling everyone who comes through the door and having no one available to help customers already in the shop.

Aside from the loss prevention stuff people mentioned, it's also a performance metric. Before my company recanted, they enacted a policy where every sales associate had to engage every customer, ask them what they wanted, take them to the product (whether they insisted you didn't or not), and ask them about the project they were working on. Management had to make sure everyone was doing it, secret shoppers were sent out every week, and you could get punished or even fired if you slipped up just once. It was crazy and thankfully customer complaints (as well as lowered productivity from having to baby everyone that came in) got it changed.

If you don't like being hounded, there's probably a survey on your receipt you can take at every chain store. The corporate offices listen to those and employees hate reading off those committee-written speeches to everyone more than you hate having everyone bug you with it.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Good work there Jacko.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Not that the design of the Iron Man helmet ever leaves much room for him to look exactly happy, but look at that middle panel. Stark is so done with this bullshit.

Prince Valiant

:stonk::hf::black101:

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Sunday Ben Bolts wrap up quick! Such a huge contrast to the daily ones where it takes practically forever for anything to happen.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Thank you Stan Lee for letting us know that we will learn the answer to the most important question there is.

"Why wasn't JJJ naked inside the suit?"

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

ChairMaster posted:

I think the recycling jokes is a meta commentary about how working in retail is just doing the same thing over and over again in perpetuity for the rest of your life.

It's like I'm vicariously living a hellish existence through awful people and expected to enjoy it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Studly Wilbur with his manly comb-over made me bust out laughing. :goleft:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Eww, their eyes are on their noses.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Low hanging fruit, too drat easy.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

TODAY'S DOGG

This one gets kind of weird if you stop to think about it.

Cory Thomas' Watch Your Head is a strip about university students.

Rich Powell does Wide Open.

And Wizard Of Id is a two-man operation.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

GAAAAA! If this strip had, like, two more panels to clear up the subject it would be pretty interesting. This format is just really bad. I mean, I want to like this strip, and it gets really close sometimes, and then there's poo poo like this. There's no flow, no continuity in the single installment. Even though it's pretty much disjointed, "The Lost Side of Suburbia" cuts off at reasonable points in the story. Is this really the way ZNJ was published, or are we just not getting chunks we should be getting in one sitting?

Edit:

Darthemed posted:

TODAY'S DOGG

This one gets kind of weird if you stop to think about it.

Wait, what? This is just "weird"? No, this is weird like Jack Nicholson in "The Shining"... This is weird like meeting Hannibal Lecter out at the mailbox when you both simultaneously check your mail and make eye contact. :v:

Gilchrist.. I, I just don't even know. Can one even sound the fathoms of that man's level of bizarre? Anytime I read Nancy anymore I get this weird juxtaposition of his terrifying C&W song/animation on youtube, Nancy edits, and his horrifying publicity pictures...

Thanks... thanks so much CSM-XV. I'm broken.

Keep it up... :v:

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 28, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

Some backstory on this one regarding Rosebud's comment: There was a beer promotion that had Spock raising an eyebrow while chugging on a beer, but it was a likeness done without Nimoy's permission, and he got pissed and sued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

GAAAAA! If this strip had, like, two more panels to clear up the subject it would be pretty interesting. This format is just really bad. I mean, I want to like this strip, and it gets really close sometimes, and then there's poo poo like this. There's no flow, no continuity in the single installment. Even though it's pretty much disjointed, "The Lost Side of Suburbia" cuts off at reasonable points in the story. Is this really the way ZNJ was published, or are we just not getting chunks we should be getting in one sitting?

It's the way it was published. I'm not skipping comics, either, so there's not really any excuse for it to be so disjointed.

I was watching this movie the other day, The Long Goodbye. The basic premise is that they took this established noir detective, Phillipe Marlowe, removed him from the usual dark and smoke filled 1950s setting, and plopped him right into the bright and cheery 1970s. The end result is that he's extremely out of place, and even though he's good at his job, he comes off as being this complete schlub. Once you removed the mystique, you could see that he's just this guy who's constantly chainsmoking and who always has this cheap suit on. That's what really gets me about ZNJ, they have a good idea but they refuse to ever do anything interesting with it.

• Locked thread