Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Happyloony posted:

Is it worth using the Pharros Lockstone under the Servant's Quarters?

It leads to an entire optional area, complete with covenant and boss fight so yeah go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I finally made it to the Bellfry you are all talking about. Got invaded right away, skewered both chumps on my pike :smug:

Then I got a huge grin on my face when I realized the boss was the gargoyles, complete with their awesome music. Died halfway through the fight though.

EDIT: Use lockstones everywhere, you can get an infinite supply of them easily.

If I beat the boss of the Bellfry, can I still fight bell heads? I want to kill more people but also want to beat the boss.

EDIT 2: Also, anyone know where I can get another ring of life protection? A standard one, I have two of the advanced version but they cost twice as much to repair and thats annoying.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm amazed that people even die jumping in this game, I think the only time I missed a jump was in the area with the first Heidi knight. All the jumps are so easy!

e: Wait no I also fell down a cliff because I forgot the mechanic where if you lose all your stamina you need to wait until your stamina fully recovers before sprinting and therefore the jump button did nothing.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people
I think my game might be bugged. I can't see any summon signs when I restore humanity, but I see blood and messages everywhere. My Soul Memory is 74k and I am level 31 in No-Mans Wharf. Am I too high/low for this area? Is there another factor that could be preventing my being able to summon anyone?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I'm amazed that people even die jumping in this game, I think the only time I missed a jump was in the area with the first Heidi knight. All the jumps are so easy!

Some of the jumps are positioned in such a way that it's actually kind of hard to get back without rolling off the ledge and dying. Whoops!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

P_R_Deltoid posted:

I think my game might be bugged. I can't see any summon signs when I restore humanity, but I see blood and messages everywhere. My Soul Memory is 74k and I am level 31 in No-Mans Wharf. Am I too high/low for this area? Is there another factor that could be preventing my being able to summon anyone?

You in the champion's covenant?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

P_R_Deltoid posted:

A good way to check this is to go and look for the area npc's summon sign (assuming you exhausted their dialogue).
Also if you have the name-engraved ring on, remove it. My friend and I use it and I rarely see other summon signs unless I take it off.
Also, champion's covenant.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Some of the jumps are positioned in such a way that it's actually kind of hard to get back without rolling off the ledge and dying. Whoops!

Yeah but people are mentioning the chariot entrance jump where you can angle your return jump to roll onto the platform rather than straight back to the bridge. This poo poo is easy compared to some of the stuff in DS1.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

The jumps are supposed to be easy but the collision detection in the game is loving awful, when you're playing online things get extra janky.

I've also seen people run on the hot coals in Iron Keep to just immediately die. I mean, are you serious? There was a burning floor RIGHT next to a bonfire at the BEGINNING of the level so you could learn how much it hurts why are people so bad at this loving game holy poo poo.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
he;pl what do I put points in.. do I need magic or not.. pls decide for me :downs:

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

You in the champion's covenant?

Yes, I wasn't sure what it did so I just joined up. I see the wiki also says something about making the game harder? Is that on passively, or is it only when using an Awestone?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The jumps are supposed to be easy but the collision detection in the game is loving awful, when you're playing online things get extra janky.

I've also seen people run on the hot coals in Iron Keep to just immediately die. I mean, are you serious? There was a burning floor RIGHT next to a bonfire at the BEGINNING of the level so you could learn how much it hurts why are people so bad at this loving game holy poo poo.

Also it is on fire which you think would give people pause.
Though there are a couple floors with fire on them that do not harm you. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The hardest jump I've seen BY FAR is the one right after the Rat King. You have to jump onto a tiny ledge, but you literally have no room to sprint. You have to go from sprinting to jumping in a split second since the space is so small. On top of that, its possible to overshoot the jump. That jump took me like 3 tries to finally land.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Yes, I wasn't sure what it did so I just joined up. I see the wiki also says something about making the game harder? Is that on passively, or is it only when using an Awestone?

It sets all enemies to NG++ values and removes the ability to co-op from the moment you join. :getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Yeah but people are mentioning the chariot entrance jump where you can angle your return jump to roll onto the platform rather than straight back to the bridge. This poo poo is easy compared to some of the stuff in DS1.

If you've never done that jump before you're probably just gonna jump straight forward and then proceed to roll straight off the other side. And obviously they've never done the jump, what with them needing to pick up the item in the first place. Unless you just expect everyone to be able to eyeball the distance they'll roll and adjust for it, in which case you are a crazy person. If they're just jumping too early and falling into the pit then sure, that's dumb, but you can't expect people to know they'll roll off the edge.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Passively increases enemy hp and damage and doesn't allow you to summon anyone for help.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PirateBob posted:

he;pl what do I put points in.. do I need magic or not.. pls decide for me :downs:

I don't see anything wrong with your stats! Just don't invest much more into ADP. There are videos that compare 20 ADP to 99 ADP and there's probably a difference of one or two frames.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Passively increases enemy hp and damage and doesn't allow you to summon anyone for help.

Wow. And it didn't say any of that crap when I signed up. I thought this game was annoying as gently caress because of this covenant. What a mistake trying to play blind and joining it was.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Wow. And it didn't say any of that crap when I signed up. I thought this game was annoying as gently caress because of this covenant. What a mistake trying to play blind and joining it was.

Yeah its a dick move.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Yeah a covenant available at the very start of the game intended to make the game way harder should probably announce that pretty openly.

The starter covenant you're SUPPOSED to join is the way of blue, to be protected from invaders. But the dude who lets you join that covenant doesn't do so at the start of the game, he just talks about how depressing the world is and you think "Oh, you're this game's crestfallen warrior. I'll come back and kill you later got it." Thanks From.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The depressed knight dude tells you what that stone does if you talk to him enough, you might need to be in the covenant first though.

e:

Bobnumerotres posted:

The starter covenant you're SUPPOSED to join is the way of blue, to be protected from invaders. But the dude who lets you join that covenant doesn't do so at the start of the game, he just talks about how depressing the world is and you think "Oh, you're this game's crestfallen warrior. I'll come back and kill you later got it." Thanks From.

yeah he does dude

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Is it possible to go hybrid in this game? e.g. Be a sword and shield kind of guy with a little magic on the side? Or is it best to focus on one thing aka magic only, or melee only?

You can hybrid without too much trouble. If you wanted to, say, go with a Miracle build you could grab a Heide Knight Sword which scales with Faith so you could swap between casting and melee without losing your effectiveness. Just put in enough Str and Dex to equip the sword and you'll be good.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

PirateBob posted:

You should get both your Vigor and Endurance up to 20. After that the diminishing returns start to kick in.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

You can hybrid without too much trouble. If you wanted to, say, go with a Miracle build you could grab a Heide Knight Sword which scales with Faith so you could swap between casting and melee without losing your effectiveness. Just put in enough Str and Dex to equip the sword and you'll be good.

Does the fire sword scale with int, by any chance? That's the one I'm using.

On a similar note, should I wait for a good weapon to start upgrading or can I just upgrade the one I'm using now?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The stone gives like 3 warning messages that it's going to make the game extra hard and are you really really sure you want to do this? I'm not sure how you could've missed it to be honest

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Happyloony posted:

Is it worth using the Pharros Lockstone under the Servant's Quarters?
Pharros tips
Yes to Forrest where the ballistae trap is

No Man's Wharf is a big ol light that scares away the troll things. If you arent having trouble with those things dont bother

I think there's one in Earthen Peak(?) that is basically useless but it might make you think the ones in Iron Keep are useless but they aren't, at least not 1 or 2 of them.

There's a bunch in Doors of Pharros that are basically just traps for the purpose of PVP but the thing is there's these big ol doors that open up in 3's but that means only one part is actually useful you have to figure out the corresponding ones on the floor

and while I typed this I got backstabbed i hope youre loving happy

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Control Volume posted:

I'd say 60% of the bloodstains I see are people jumping to their doom. Thanks jump-happy lunatic, you just saved me a death.

Also, had an odd thing just happen. I got summoned for the Ruin Sentinel fight, host went in, and I got returned to my world :wtc:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

Also, had an odd thing just happen. I got summoned for the Ruin Sentinel fight, host went in, and I got returned to my world :wtc:

Were you a shade or a white phantom? You can only enter the boss room if you use a regular white soapstone, not the small one.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah a covenant available at the very start of the game intended to make the game way harder should probably announce that pretty openly.

What, three prompts telling you GTFO not enough for you?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got killed by a guy before he even finished loading in. He literally started stabbing me while he was still rising out of the floor.

How is the hit detection in this game so much worse than in Dark Souls?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bobnumerotres posted:

Were you a shade or a white phantom? You can only enter the boss room if you use a regular white soapstone, not the small one.

Is this really the case? I know that I did some coop with the small white soapstone to farm up a few of those little pearl things, and the coop that I did was killing bosses.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Requested_Username posted:

The stone gives like 3 warning messages that it's going to make the game extra hard and are you really really sure you want to do this? I'm not sure how you could've missed it to be honest

Not sure either. I was pretty sure I read all the prompts.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't see anything wrong with your stats! Just don't invest much more into ADP. There are videos that compare 20 ADP to 99 ADP and there's probably a difference of one or two frames.

Minorkos posted:

You should get both your Vigor and Endurance up to 20. After that the diminishing returns start to kick in.

Alright! :)

But will someone please tell me if I ever need/really should have magic... I mean, are there bosses who can't be damaged without it or something.. or will I be fine with just my mace and maybe a bow until the end of the game... :confused:

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Not sure either. I was pretty sure I read all the prompts.

From memory none of the prompts actually say what the covenant is going to do (increase difficulty/ban summons), they just say "are you sure you want to join this covenant?" three times, so it would be pretty easy to slip into bearer seek seek lest mode and just mash through the lot of them.

Speaking of which does the champions covenant also ban you from being summoned using the white soapstone, or is it a one way thing?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

PirateBob posted:

But will someone please tell me if I ever need/really should have magic... I mean, are there bosses who can't be damaged without it or something.. or will I be fine with just my mace and maybe a bow until the end of the game... :confused:

You don't need magic, no. There are some bosses which are easier to face with a Sorcery/Miracle/Hex build, but melee with enough Dex to use a decent bow will get you by just fine.

Meat Miracle posted:

Speaking of which does the champions covenant also ban you from being summoned using the white soapstone, or is it a one way thing?

99% sure it stops you from being summoned as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Alright! :)

You don't ever need magic, you can be pure melee if you want.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
What is the best weapon to wait for and upgrade?

Or will any old weapon do?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

P_R_Deltoid posted:

It didn't ask you to confirm your choice three separate times, calling itself "The arduous path" then asking you if you were prepared to join the covenant then asking you to confirm a third time? It only doesn't say anything if you just spam through the three different prompts without actually reading them.

Yeah its a dick move.

Not if it announces that it is a covenant that makes the game harder and makes you confirm your choice three times.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It does announce it openly unless you just don't read. Saulden does let you join the covenant at the start of the game. Don't just assume he's a bad guy because he has a familiar voice, try actually talking to him.

It's nobody's fault but your own if you refuse to pay attention.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
So, is parrying in this a lot harder than in Dark Souls Classic? I cannot, for the life of me, seem to land parrys anymore. Are the timings just different and I'm now a scrub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

CrusherEAGLE posted:

What is the best weapon to wait for and upgrade?

Or will any old weapon do?

Almost any weapon is viable. If you like a weapon and/or its moveset, upgrade it. Even a basic Club/Mace+10 will carry you through the whole game if you're actually built for it.

Dreissi posted:

So, is parrying in this a lot harder than in Dark Souls Classic? I cannot, for the life of me, seem to land parrys anymore. Are the timings just different and I'm now a scrub?

The timing is much different. There's a larger delay between button press and "parry frames" than in Dark Souls 1. Find a basic sword hollow to practice on, the animations for the riposte in this game are all very satisfying.