Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CrusherEAGLE posted:

What is the best weapon to wait for and upgrade?

Or will any old weapon do?

Anything's fine. I keep a bunch of semi-upgraded weapons because I like a lot of different weapons.

Dreissi posted:

So, is parrying in this a lot harder than in Dark Souls Classic? I cannot, for the life of me, seem to land parrys anymore. Are the timings just different and I'm now a scrub?

The timing is way different, so don't feel bad if you have all the parrying ability of a scrub now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Meat Miracle posted:

From memory none of the prompts actually say what the covenant is going to do (increase difficulty/ban summons), they just say "are you sure you want to join this covenant?" three times, so it would be pretty easy to slip into bearer seek seek lest mode and just mash through the lot of them.

Speaking of which does the champions covenant also ban you from being summoned using the white soapstone, or is it a one way thing?

The three prompts from the victor's stone are:

- This will set you upon an arduous path. Okay to join this covenant?
- Are you prepared to join this covenant?
- Abandon your covenant and join the Company of Champions?

So yeah. You need to read and be wary of the fact that it asks you three times.
There is no point in mashing through npcs that aren't bear seek seek lest. :raise:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Phycosymo posted:

You'll have to go further into the area and help out the man who's sitting near the archway straight ahead of you.

I saw him but died to the poison chest in that area. Didn't get into the menu to heal fast enough and didn't have a divine blessing available on the d-pad :v:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I took a bastard sword and put a lightning stone in it and now it does less damage than before to what feels like 90% of enemies. :shepface:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I took a bastard sword and put a lightning stone in it and now it does less damage than before to what feels like 90% of enemies. :shepface:

Resists work in an odd way.

Weapon A has 200 physical
Weapon B has 100 physical 100 lightning
Enemy A has 50 armor/resist to all types of damage

Hitting Enemy A with Weapon A gives you 200-50 = 150 attack.
Hitting Enemy A with Weapon B gives you (100-50) + (100-50) = 100 attack.

Also now elemental weapons scale with stats (Fire/Magic with Int, Lightning/Dark with Faith), so it's no longer "change this to [x] element and it's automatically better".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow the belltower is lame as hell. There's almost no way for the host to win if the invaders are even semicompetent because its a small area with nearly no room to move in. Its like Rat Covenant only bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When I get further into the game playing using magic, will I still be using a weapon in my other hand to the staff or can I use a shield or is that a terrible idea?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Umberger posted:

Also now elemental weapons scale with stats (Fire/Magic with Int, Lightning/Dark with Faith), so it's no longer "change this to [x] element and it's automatically better".

Every empirical testing video I've seen suggests that scaling is piddly poo poo at best, with fire weapons having a comparable AR at base stats to heavily invested Int/Faith, and a +10 Chaos Blade getting like maybe 25 AR out of 15 Dex (which is to say a 40 Dex versus a 25 only producing 25 total AR) despite its allegedly super good scaling :shrug:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 27, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After some bellkeeping I decided to jump in a well to find a staff. Well I didn't find it, but I did get attacked by Charlie Kelly: King of the Rats. After he smacked me down (nice that I don't go back to a bonfire), I beat the vanguard and now I'm in a shithole. Super.

With staffs, what's the penalty if you don't meet a requirement? I have the archdrake staff but not the faith to use it. I can't use miracles anyway, but will my sorceries suffer?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Umberger posted:

I figured it would at least help with certain bosses, even without faith/int but it's just straight up worse than a regular old mace.

Yes yes "every weapon is viable", if you want to chip away for ages on certain bosses that is.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Every empirical testing video I've seen suggests that scaling is piddly poo poo at best, with fire weapons having a comparable AR at base stats to heavily invested Int/Faith, and a +10 Chaos Blade getting like maybe 25 AR out of 15 Dex (which is to say a 40 Dex versus a 25 only producing 25 total AR) despite its allegedly super good scaling :shrug:

Dex scaling is crap, Strength not so much.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Every empirical testing video I've seen suggests that scaling is piddly poo poo at best, with fire weapons having a comparable AR at base stats to heavily invested Int/Faith, and a +10 Chaos Blade getting like maybe 25 AR out of 15 Dex despite it's allegedly super good scaling :shrug:

Scaling is not as strong as it was in Dark Souls 1, from what I've seen. That being said, infusion is great for staves/chimes, particularly some of the end-game ones which can only cast one element anyways.

Das Butterbrot posted:

Fire scales with the average of Int/Fth I believe. Dark scales with the lower of the 2 stats.

Right. It's more accurate to say they scale with the respective [element] Bonus stat, and that doing what you said is how to raise those (whereas Magic/Lightning just increase with Int/Faith respectively, Fire and Dark Bonus is a "synergy" effect of Int/Faith builds).

Umberger fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 27, 2014

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Umberger posted:

Fire scales with the average of Int/Fth I believe. Dark scales with the lower of the 2 stats.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Starting to have enemies despawn at the last bastille and have to say I'm not a fan of the mechanic. I clearly haven't mastered the area yet but I'm allowed to progress

Don't patronize me dark souls

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

joe football posted:

Starting to have enemies despawn at the last bastille and have to say I'm not a fan of the mechanic. I clearly haven't mastered the area yet but I'm allowed to progress

See if you feel the same way when you get to the hollows camping a bonfire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

See if you feel the same way when you get to the hollows camping a bonfire.

Flame Swathe takes care of them pretty handily. It also, incidentally, takes care of pubbies pretty handily. That first spark isn't the dangerous one kids!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Donald Duck posted:

Dex scaling is crap, Strength not so much.

Strength was covered in said videos. Pretty much no scaling is great from what I observed. This is the testing video I'm referring to if you want to check it out yourself.

http://www.twitch.tv/rbfrosty/c/4001004

A good two hours of science! :v:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

joe football posted:

The main reason despawning enemies was implemented is, I would assume, because certain bosses have a pretty long run from bonfire to boss. If it's taking you more than 10 attempts and you aren't just running past everything, you're probably sick of having to fight enemies for 10 minutes on the way to a boss which may be killing you in 2.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Who among you were sicknasty? I know it's ONE of you. 1v1 rematch BITCH!!!

It's hard to read what the keeper has to say and get your rankup benefits, while you're being invaded and murdered by a bellbro.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow the belltower is lame as hell. There's almost no way for the host to win if the invaders are even semicompetent because its a small area with nearly no room to move in. Its like Rat Covenant only bad.

Be glad it's so skewed towards the keepers when you have a weapon at +6. It would be a nightmare to farm chunks if it wasn't. It's also easy enough to just rush through the belfry without worrying about invaders if you're quick about it, so it's not too big of a problem on the hosts side.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Who among you were sicknasty? I know it's ONE of you. 1v1 rematch BITCH!!!

It's hard to read what the keeper has to say and get your rankup benefits, while you're being invaded and murdered by a bellbro.

Once you get to the second belfry you get summoned to, the bellkeeper there is outside of the pvp zone. There is one black bellkeeper dwarf that aggros you in the room though, so try to despawn him asap so you don't hit the covenant guy in a panic

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 27, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Accidentally posted this in the console thread at first, but I think both threads deserve to see the greatest Fashion Souls dude ever:

he's so pretty :swoon:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Alright! :)

But will someone please tell me if I ever need/really should have magic... I mean, are there bosses who can't be damaged without it or something.. or will I be fine with just my mace and maybe a bow until the end of the game... :confused:

You'll be fine without magic. It REALLY helps to have laser beams in some situations, make sure you have the stats for a bow so you can kill off certain out of reach enemies/lure enemies, but that's about it.

Do a second playthrough with a faith/magic based class for funsies. I personally think it's stupid to want to shoot blue things at poo poo in a game that revolves around a really intense melee system but oh well.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

OH NO MAN posted:

Accidentally posted this in the console thread at first, but I think both threads deserve to see the greatest Fashion Souls dude ever:

he's so pretty :swoon:

Careful with those wings buddy, they poison npc's as well as enemies.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Do a second playthrough with a faith/magic based class for funsies. I personally think it's stupid to want to shoot blue things at poo poo in a game that revolves around a really intense melee system but oh well.

There are plenty of weapon buffs, and there's also the best of both worlds in Soul Greatsword. :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Be glad it's so skewed towards the keepers when you have a weapon at +6. It would be a nightmare to farm chunks if it wasn't. It's also easy enough to just rush through the belfry without worrying about invaders if you're quick about it, so it's not too big of a problem on the hosts side.

I'm just getting more and more disappointed with the online in this game. Dickwraithing is basically impossible and even when you find a fight its horribly skewed against you. The hit detection is so awful I get killed by stuff I dodge and take damage when my opponent is in the middle of an animation. PvP feels so much worse than it was in Dark Souls and its bumming me out.

VVV I played tons of PvP in Dark souls and the combat feels so much worse in this just because the hit detection is awful. In DS there were fights where latency would blatantly gently caress someone over, but in this it feels like every fight has someone getting hit when they shouldn't and dodging stuff that clearly hits them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 27, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm just getting more and more disappointed with the online in this game. Dickwraithing is basically impossible and even when you find a fight its horribly skewed against you. The hit detection is so awful I get killed by stuff I dodge and take damage when my opponent is in the middle of an animation. PvP feels so much worse than it was in Dark Souls and its bumming me out.

It feels significantly better for me than in DS1 actually. I barely got invaded in the first game anyway, so at least there's multiple pvp covenants. It'd be nice if anyone showed up now though, I've seen a total of one invader and zero sentinels.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
So has anyone delved into the soundtrack yet? Cuz the tracks on it are definitely cut in random places, don't fully loop, or in some cases (like Executioner's Chariot and Nashandra) begin on the soundtrack way later than they do in game (ie, they're missing the opening segments of their particular themes).

I suspect all the cuts were done to fit the soundtrack on an 80 minute disc, since Japan still has a thing for physical media.

This really bums me out, because I think the music in this game rules, but it gets short changed by fans, largely because the official soundtrack sells it really short. Almost every loving song cuts early, some by as much as a minute or so, and some before the musical themes even really have a chance to present themselves.

You can tell just by playing the game and comparing tunes with what's on disc, or by checking out several youtube videos (try this, for example, compared to the 1:20 version on the official soundtrack) that have posted (annoyingly low-quality) rips from the game, which are all longer than the featured versions on the official soundtrack.

I dunno how to extract the audio files, or if it's even technically legal or blahblahblah, but I really, really want a full, actual, decent quality version of the OST. This is driving me nuts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've only ever been invaded in the Belfry, and once I got summoned in the rat area which is apparently a thing. There's basically two dedicated PvP areas now. Plus you can summon people for duels still. I kinda hate PvP in these games but it's way easier to do it if you want to now than it ever was before. Unless the reason you liked doing it before was just to dick people over that were only trying to get to the end of a stage I don't see the problem.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV I played tons of PvP in Dark souls and the combat feels so much worse in this just because the hit detection is awful. In DS there were fights where latency would blatantly gently caress someone over, but in this it feels like every fight has someone getting hit when they shouldn't and dodging stuff that clearly hits them.

Aww poor baby can't dickwraith in the burg with black flame and +5 lightning zwei anymore

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've only ever been invaded in the Belfry, and once I got summoned in the rat area which is apparently a thing. There's basically two dedicated PvP areas now. Plus you can summon people for duels still. I kinda hate PvP in these games but it's way easier to do it if you want to now than it ever was before. Unless the reason you liked doing it before was just to dick people over that were only trying to get to the end of a stage I don't see the problem.

None of this has anything to do with hit detection which is what I'm talking about.

verybad posted:

Aww poor baby can't dickwraith in the burg with black flame and +5 lightning zwei anymore

I never did that but go ahead and keep making baseless assumptions :thumbsup:

Unless you think invading people in Anor Londo at SL 20 was unfair.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

None of this has anything to do with hit detection which is what I'm talking about.

Well in that case you're crazy because this has always been a problem. At least now you don't get people in front of you getting backstabs on you.

edit: and it's not even hit detection, it's lag like in every other multiplayer game. They hit you on their screen and the game gives them the benefit of the doubt.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 27, 2014

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

90s Shoes posted:

So has anyone delved into the soundtrack yet? Cuz the tracks on it are definitely cut in random places, don't fully loop, or in some cases (like Executioner's Chariot and Nashandra) begin on the soundtrack way later than they do in game (ie, they're missing the opening segments of their particular themes).

This is true of the physical copy and I just assumed that this is the way things were. A quick search on YouTube can find you the "full" length tracks and they're quite a bit longer: Nashandra's track on the digital/physical OST is 3m09s but this version on YouTube is over 8m long, and even if it's looping it definitely has an intro segment that is not present on either copy of the OST.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

I think it's way better personally. The dickwraithing usually goes pretty well for me when I use the level to my advantage by ambushing them along with enemies. There's a lot more variety in pvp now as well with the bellkeeper, ratbro, and bluebro/WoB covenants. The hit detection is one thing I'll give you. The amount of times I've been hit by a washing pole from well past the length of it's blade has been too many to count. I seem to recall the netcode being pretty poo poo in ds1, and it seems a bit better now. Still pretty poo poo, but less poo poo now. Oh, and if you're constantly getting hit by attacks you dodge, try getting around 20 adp and just rolling through them with your iframes, that's what I do and it works pretty well.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 27, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

verybad posted:

I love how the peanut gallery gives this response everytime :allears:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
People who gloat about darkwraiths not being able to SL1 invade any more don't realise the knock on effect with the entire rest of the game. If there are no darkwraiths then the blue sentinens and way of the blue is completely pointless.

Someone megamuling and then suiciding to give you 500k souls fucks you over permanently. Low level invading doesn't.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Anyone else having a problem getting sunbro medals when you get summoned or summon a bro? I've killed a few different bosses both ways and keep getting the Smooth & Silky Stone.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Sultan Tarquin posted:

People who gloat about darkwraiths not being able to SL1 invade any more don't realise the knock on effect with the entire rest of the game. If there are no darkwraiths then the blue sentinens and way of the blue is completely pointless.

Someone megamuling and then suiciding to give you 500k souls fucks you over permanently. Low level invading doesn't.

It doesn't gently caress you over if you put the points into levels and gear rather than just throwing them away. You'll still be matched with people near your SL bracket that way. It boosts you a little faster than you wanted to go maybe, but it's pretty far from loving you over if you aren't stupid about it.

Tanreall posted:

Anyone else having a problem getting sunbro medals when you get summoned or summon a bro? I've killed a few different bosses both ways and keep getting the Smooth & Silky Stone.

You're using the small white soapstone. Use/Get the regular sized soapstone from the npc outside that trapped area in FoFG. He warns you about the trap, if you run through it and go talk to him again he gives it to you.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 27, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

joe football posted:

I loving love this mechanic because it makes the run to a boss way shorter, if you've killed them 15 times you're probably sick of them anyway.

I just wish there was a way to reset it without ascending the area to NG+.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where do you even turn the boss souls into weapons? I haven't found a smith to do that yet.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

It doesn't gently caress you over if you put the points into levels and gear rather than just throwing them away. You'll still be matched with people near your SL bracket that way. It boosts you a little faster than you wanted to go maybe, but it's pretty far from loving you over if you aren't stupid about it.

It effectively ruins the game for the player since they have two choices; spend all those souls and trivialize the first few areas, or throw them away to retain the challenge but end up with a massive soul deficit for online play. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Tanreall posted:

Try the large soapstone if you want medals. The small one will only give you Smooth & Silky Stones even if you're a Sunbro.