Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

photomikey posted:

Don't they just click back together?

It's the shrink wrap that makes the magic for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuroneko107
Apr 24, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Would something like these work for you? http://m.ebay.com/itm/390767373909

Edit: not sure how easy it is to remove however!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

kuroneko107 posted:

Would something like these work for you? http://m.ebay.com/itm/390767373909

Edit: not sure how easy it is to remove however!

Yes! Thanks!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

PAAS (the people who make the one million different types of dye kits all over the place each Easter) had a kit a while back that had little shrink wrap sleeves that you could put on the egg and plunk into hot water for like a second. I don't even know if they make them anymore, but checking out the clearance aisle wouldn't be a bad idea.

Aha! Look for PAAS Egg Arounds. They may be in the traditional box kit, or in little hangy sleeve pack things.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I'm looking for a little perspective here. My daughter is 13 months old and has been at the same day care since she was 3 months old. We loved her baby room, but ever since she moved to the one year old room about 6 weeks ago, we've had issues. She had had a diaper rash that comes back every single week, we're not getting a daily report anymore, and she's now been bitten twice over the past two days. They didn't tell us the first time, and this time they were very vague (making me think it happened while they were busy doing other things).

We are pulling her out and having family keep her until an at home daycare we like has an opening in June.

My question is, is stuff like this normal at every daycare? Or are we right to be angry and frustrated?

We're hoping to have a better experience at the in home daycare, which is highly recommended. She also only keeps 5 kids and her 18 year old helps her.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Acrolos posted:

I'm looking for a little perspective here. My daughter is 13 months old and has been at the same day care since she was 3 months old. We loved her baby room, but ever since she moved to the one year old room about 6 weeks ago, we've had issues. She had had a diaper rash that comes back every single week, we're not getting a daily report anymore, and she's now been bitten twice over the past two days. They didn't tell us the first time, and this time they were very vague (making me think it happened while they were busy doing other things).

We are pulling her out and having family keep her until an at home daycare we like has an opening in June.

My question is, is stuff like this normal at every daycare? Or are we right to be angry and frustrated?

We're hoping to have a better experience at the in home daycare, which is highly recommended. She also only keeps 5 kids and her 18 year old helps her.

Our daycare gives us am accident report for things like bites. We also get daily reports. The rash is hard to say, but on top of the other things they don't sound the greatest.

Our son had a "rash" that in fact was anal strep. Apparently kids can get strep rear end. Who knew. Also turns out the test for that can't be done in office under a normal copay but is instead a $250 lab test that came out of our deductible. Do the persistent rash could be infection.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Acrolos posted:

Yes to both.

I was uneasy on leaving my daughter's daycare at that age, but getting into the new place was a 10x better fit and I never regretted it for a second once we did it.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yep, my best friend has an almost identical story with her first daycare. Great until her daughter graduated out of the baby room, then absolutely horrible. It got to the point where her daughter would cry every time she got in the car because she associated it with going to daycare. My friend pulled her daughter out and got her into an in-home care run by a little old Italian grandmother who is just the most awesome ever.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Thanks guys. I was worried that we may be overreacting, but it sounds like moving her to the in-home daycare is the best option regardless. I'm happy for the change.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I would be flipping my poo poo if my kid got bitten and I didnt get notified about that. Bites are a normal thing for kids to do to each other at that age, but i still want to know about it.

you really should be getting a daily notification about how much they ate, how they napped, what they did, etc etc. Talk to the director.

And soon my oldest son will be out of daycare. Yay! I spend more a month on daycare costs than I do my mortgage.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Yeah my daughter went from the baby room (staffed by middle aged women who were all mother themselves) to the toddler room (all college-aged women) and everything went to hell. They left her sitting in an antpile on the playground one day and she came home covered in ant bites. Just how the hell do you not notice that? We pulled her out at the end of the month.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Not all daycares are bad, but its pretty hard to find a good one it seems. We got super lucky. Our daycare is a non-profit sponsered by a local VA hospital. They take non-employee children, so our kids got in. Our kids are covered by federal police, and its a no poo poo kind of deal. Someone estranged father tried to get in one day, VA police were there in 30 seconds and had the dude in cuffs. The VA holds the daycare to the strictest of guidelines, state and federal. We get paperwork for anything and everything. Plus the kids get field trips, out side of daycare activities like Soccer Shots (soccer for toddlers?). It is a pretty amazing place, I'm going to keep our boys in until kindergarten. I'm fairly sure not to be all humblebrag but the daycare has helped my boys development so much, I see it when he interacts with other kids his age outside of that daycare group.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Yeah, I guess I should add that we then put my daughter in another day care/school and it has suited her incredibly well. Just have to find the right place, really.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
My daughter is 15 months old and I have been only having her overnight at my place for about 6 weeks. I have been rocking her to sleep every night but I am trying to ween off that. Any good suggestions? Tonight I lasted an hour before I just went in and picked her up and rocked her to sleep. Her mom has no issues apparently but that's a different story.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
She's in a new strange place at bedtime. For basically the first time ever in her life. Is rocking her such an inconvenience? Jesus man, hug your baby. She's scared.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

momtartin posted:

My daughter is 15 months old and I have been only having her overnight at my place for about 6 weeks. I have been rocking her to sleep every night but I am trying to ween off that. Any good suggestions? Tonight I lasted an hour before I just went in and picked her up and rocked her to sleep. Her mom has no issues apparently but that's a different story.

If she's used to getting rocked, it's pretty hard to go cold turkey and she's a bit too young to understand. Is she waking up at night or just needing to be rocked at bedtime?

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

I have no problem hugging my kid, and she's adapted perfectly to overnights really (always sleeps through the night, though there are times she just won't go to bed). Am I tryinto ween her off too early?

EDIT: She sleeps through the night no problem, she's just a stubborn little girl when it comes to sleep at times. Her mom mentioned she wasn't rocking her to sleep, and I was just under the impression that it's better for kids to have consistency, especially so young. Hence why I was trying to do it as well.

Cold Turkey might not be the best way, I agree (and found out the hard way) so what other options are there? Or do I just keep rocking her for another few months?

ARCDad fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 24, 2014

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

momtartin posted:

I have no problem hugging my kid, and she's adapted perfectly to overnights really (always sleeps through the night, though there are times she just won't go to bed). Am I tryinto ween her off too early?

EDIT: She sleeps through the night no problem, she's just a stubborn little girl when it comes to sleep at times. Her mom mentioned she wasn't rocking her to sleep, and I was just under the impression that it's better for kids to have consistency, especially so young. Hence why I was trying to do it as well.

Cold Turkey might not be the best way, I agree (and found out the hard way) so what other options are there? Or do I just keep rocking her for another few months?

When ours was older (20 months if I recall correctly), we transitioned away from rocking. We tried a gentle approach. We would stay in the room, holding hands, but she had to be in the crib in the crib. We also sang extra songs at bedtime. (Before it was just rocking.) After that was established, we would stay in the room, but further from the crib. She didn't seem to mind if we read on the ipad, as long as we were there. From there, we transitioned to putting her down saying goodnight and leaving.

I will say that it doesn't surprise me that your kid can be used to slightly different routines mom vs dad.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I started with naps for our 18 month old. He still has a pacifier. So when I knew he was tired and it was nap time we'd get ready for bed. When we'd finally get in the crib if he got up from laying down I'd take the pacifier away and ask him to lay down please. When he'd lay down he'd get the pacifier back. I'd still hold hands or rock him or mattress til he fell asleep.

That eventually transitioned to night time after a couple weeks maybe. Now if we go through his nighttime routine he is pretty good at laying down and going to sleep in his crib while I or my wife lay on the floor next to the crib and read.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

momtartin posted:

I'm sorry someone felt the need to judge you for how you want to put your kid to bed, particularly since you're trying to keep a similar routine to what happens at her mother's. There's nothing wrong with wanting to eliminate the need to rock to sleep.

The short answer is: do what works. We never really needed to rock our guys to sleep after they were out of he newborn phase, just do the night-time feed, put them down, and walk away. However, once able to stand on his own, our first son would do the playing / crying thing at night. Here's what we did to get him out of / through the phase. It was important to us to have him learn that going to sleep was normal and shouldn't be a major production, and also that his negative behaviour wasn't going to get him the result he wanted, so we were simple and firm at bedtime:
- Hug, read a book, bath / whatever the normal nighttime routine is
- say goodnight, set in crib, walk to door
- if tears start, come back, hug again, goodnight more firmly, walk out and close door
- give it a few minutes, if tears return, go back in, lay kid down, goodnight again, back out
- next time they fuss, goodnight from doorway, verbal request to go to sleep, back out
- next time we would go in and lie him down again, and so on.

If she's really distraught when you come in, there's nothing wrong with comforting / cuddling for a minute, especially at 15 months, but if you really want to break the rocking to sleep habit you need to leave it at that, say goodnight, and don't be afraid to go out while she's awake and/or upset. If she gets constant reinforcement that her crying will get daddy back, then she'll keep doing it.

Over time, you can skip steps and your kid will start to need less return trips. There may be parts of that which don't work or whatever given your relationship so adapt based on what your daughter responds to best.

As another idea that might help, we found that when we travelled our kids would sleep much better if we brought a blanket from home (in your case from her mother's house), so that their bed has the same smell / feel. When we didn't do this, they'd be noticeably more fussy in hotel cribs etc.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I swear, getting my kids up and out of the house early in the morning is tough. They just don't get the concept of being late for work.

Sorry, had to vent.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Calm down man you're a loose cannon. There's no need for flying off the handle like that.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Is it bad that my kids make me drink?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Cimber posted:

Finishing the day with a beer for is never a bad thing, so long as one drink doesn't turn into six!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I stop at 4 :D

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cimber posted:

If this wasn't a half hearted joke post, yes? :ohdear: There is help out there if you need it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cimber posted:

Read this with a glass of wine* in my hand. Cheers!

*Kirkland cause I'm classy

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cimber posted:

I swear, getting my kids up and out of the house early in the morning is tough. They just don't get the concept of being late for work.

Sorry, had to vent.

I'm very lucky in that I have employers that are extremely family-friendly. I can remote in for the day if one of them is home sick, take time off for school events with a week's notice, and they're always nice to the kids if they come to visit me at the office.

Mornings are rough with our eldest. I swear, he's like a teenager in the morning, but more surly, and it's one of the bigger disagreements my wife and I have (I'm more of an advocate of an earlier/stricter bed time routine, she is of the opinion that he's feeling rushed in the morning - I'm sure it's a bit of both). So many times, I've had to bite my tongue to keep me from saying something like, "If I keep being late, my boss is going to get angry with me, which isn't conducive to remaining employed." I know that's comically unlikely, so that just emphasizes how much more stressful it must be for someone with a less flexible employer.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My daughter is in pre-school now, but when she was at a home daycare for the last few years, they had a lot of days they didn't work. A week in the summer for family vacation, several days in the spring and the fall to re-paint and flx up the play equipment, a day here and there for some graduation or something. At one point a friend of ours was considering using that daycare, and asked me what I thought. I told her it was a great daycare, they were really loving - but I didn't see how you could have what I lovingly term a "real job" and use that daycare. Not everyone can just take 3 days off because they want to stain the swingset.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My daycare extends holiday weekends, which drives me insane. One of us always has to use a vacation day. Between that and her getting sick, I have only taken one actual vacation.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
My daughter is almost four and we have a 6 month old. Its been incredibly hard on our wife and I to be anything but parents every minute of the day. She's breastfeeding so the 6 month old is attached at the boob, my 4 year old most likely has ADD and she just requires a lot of focus.

My wife and I both wish we had some type of social life. Its nonexistent for both of us. We get to talk a bit to each other at the end of the day when both kids are asleep, but we're so tired we are in bed and asleep by 8:30 as well.

I'm looking for what other parents had done at these ages to not feel like isolated cavemen and women, or if the answer is just, "This is how it goes in those first early years with multiple kids, gotta just stick it out." I'm okay with that last answer, just need to know that it pretty much is the answer.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

My daughter is almost four and we have a 6 month old. Its been incredibly hard on our wife and I to be anything but parents every minute of the day. She's breastfeeding so the 6 month old is attached at the boob, my 4 year old most likely has ADD and she just requires a lot of focus.

My wife and I both wish we had some type of social life. Its nonexistent for both of us. We get to talk a bit to each other at the end of the day when both kids are asleep, but we're so tired we are in bed and asleep by 8:30 as well.

I'm looking for what other parents had done at these ages to not feel like isolated cavemen and women, or if the answer is just, "This is how it goes in those first early years with multiple kids, gotta just stick it out." I'm okay with that last answer, just need to know that it pretty much is the answer.

Fine someone you trust to babysit, pretty much. In my case, I have a gaggle of family living locally, which was invaluable in getting me time, and quality time with the SO, when we were still together.

Your wife is breastfeeding, you said. But if she feels comfortable expressing milk, and having it fed in bottles when she's out or needs a break, that would help give you and her some time to go out and decompress.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Social life together or just socialization with adults in general? I agree with finding a babysitter and working a regular date night into your routine. But since you emphasize how hard it's been on your wife, I'm taking that to mean how can she get out and around other people. I had good luck with my local mother's club (cringey as that name is). A really good resource is your La Leche League. The nice thing about groups like that is you can show up with your breastfeeding infant and be completely comfortable having to nurse on demand, or have another adult watch your older kid while you change the baby. And just so it's clear - these groups are for the parents, not the kids. Yeah, it's good to socialize your kid but by far the reason they exist is to talk to other human beings who are going through the exact same struggle you are.

I also meant to say: NO, it does not just have to be like that. :glomp:

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

We do a lot of weekend park and lunch dates with other families. We met them post-baby, but they're still people we would enjoy being around without kids. Four adults watching kids run around the park leaves a decent amount of time for chatting and, at meals, the kids entertain each other a lot of the time. It also leaves open babysitting swaps where you take their kids one weekend day and, the next weekend or something, they take yours.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

skeetied posted:

We do a lot of weekend park and lunch dates with other families. We met them post-baby, but they're still people we would enjoy being around without kids. Four adults watching kids run around the park leaves a decent amount of time for chatting and, at meals, the kids entertain each other a lot of the time. It also leaves open babysitting swaps where you take their kids one weekend day and, the next weekend or something, they take yours.

My wife does park and lunch dates. My guess is they are somewhat enough but they are with kids. I guess after some reflection on the posts above, we really want to be sans-kids for a while. Getting a babysitter is going to be necessary. We'll take a look.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
At six months you are getting toward the beginning of solid foods and the waning of breastfeeding. Not the end, per se, but an end to the kid being latched for 30 minutes every three hours.

On an airplane, when the oxygen masks fall, you are instructed to put your mask on first before assisting the children with their masks. That is because, even though you might think their survival is more important than yours, in reality, without your survival, they have no chance. Your sanity is the same way. Even though going out one night a month and leaving them with a babysitter, and (OH THE HORROR) the little one having to eat from a bottle (Just kidding about the OH THE HORROR part, I had a breastfeeding wife, too), you are doing everyone involved a favor by going away.

I have a 4 year old and one secret I'll give you is that even though one four year old is mayhem, two or three four year olds isn't 2 or 3 times the work, it's is 1/2 or 1/3 of the work - they all play together - for hours. So you can have an adult dinner, serve wine, have conversation, and just put the kids in the playroom and they will romp about on their own.

And finally, just to sympathize with you, I haven't know anybody with young kids who hasn't felt like you.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I have a 10 month old who absolutely refuses the bottle (can't be fed anything either, she hates hates hates it when you try to put anything in her mouth) so I haven't had more than a few hours off from my children since she's been born. It wears you down.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Around here they have drop-in daycare centers that arern't daycare. The kids have to be 12 months at least, but its an option you can use soon to be able to go out for a nice dinner or a movie. This is the one I'm looking into for myself.
http://greenkidsfun.com/

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Lyz posted:

I have a 10 month old who absolutely refuses the bottle (can't be fed anything either, she hates hates hates it when you try to put anything in her mouth) so I haven't had more than a few hours off from my children since she's been born. It wears you down.

Same, except mine is over a year. She's starting to eat more solids so daytime isn't quite so bad but she is still up every couple of hours through the night. If my first kid had been like that I probably wouldn't have had any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Lyz posted:

Have you tried different types of bottles / nipples? Our second son hated the Medela nipple that came with the pumping kit but really likes the nipples on the Nuknuk starter sippy-cup.