Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

It doesn't gently caress you over if you put the points into levels and gear rather than just throwing them away. You'll still be matched with people near your SL bracket that way. It boosts you a little faster than you wanted to go maybe, but it's pretty far from loving you over if you aren't stupid about it.

It does gently caress you over if you want to do invasions/co-op, since you will be far beyond the SM of the other people for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Where do you even turn the boss souls into weapons? I haven't found a smith to do that yet.

It effectively ruins the game for the player since they have two choices; spend all those souls and trivialize the first few areas, or throw them away to retain the challenge but end up with a massive soul deficit for online play. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Straid, hes in the Lost Bastille

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Rant about Earthen Keep summoning.

Everytime I get summoned with a sign close to the fog door, the host hasn't cleared the poison. And because he's already at the fog door, I can't convince the host to follow me all the way back to the central bonfire. I guess I'll just place my sign at the central fire and show people the gimmick interaction and the illusionary walls and be content without boss fighting. Also, a lot of shades want to fight Mytha in the poison even if you have drained the middle area. Mytha is probably way more difficult with shades than doing her solo, like I did.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
gently caress this retarded area with mandatory fuckers who break all your poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The soul memory system also puts an effective lifespan on every PvP character. I never did PvP with high SL character in Dark Souls because its awful. Fights with high tier gear take forever and you run into a ton of people minmaxed in the most boring way possible. Its a lot more fun to fight people that aren't specced for PvP. Its not like I was being unfair either since I didn't use top tier gear and mostly ran funny gimmick builds.

Can't do that now though, or at least not nearly as effectively. Passively accumulating soul memory will eventually put you in the range to only get matched with people using the end game equipment, whether you like it or not.

Donald Duck posted:

That guy just yells at me about an ember but I haven't found anything like that.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Thanks that was silly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

That guy just yells at me about an ember but I haven't found anything like that.

That's not Straid, that's the blacksmith.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Donald Duck posted:

There's also Ornifex, who is a bit more complicated to get. You have to use a Fragrant Branch of Yore to free an enemy in the Shaded Woods bonfire area who will drop a key. This key lets you open the door Ornifex is behind, but first you have to fall down the boarded up hole in the same area. After exhausting her dialogue options, she'll move to a room in Brightstone Cove.

Straid trades souls for weapons and spells, Ornifex trades souls for just weapons. They do not share any trades, so make sure you check the Wiki before spending a soul.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's not Straid, that's the blacksmith.

Then where the hell is he because I thought I'd explored all of the Lost Bastille.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Then where the hell is he because I thought I'd explored all of the Lost Bastille.

Teleport to the Sinner's Rise bonfire (the one with the 3 crossbow guards). Cross the bridge and go up the stairs. He's the petrified guy blocking the bonfire in the room with all of the exploding mummies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

He's above the walkway leading to Sinner's Rise. You can't interact with him immediately anyway, you'll see what I mean when you see him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really like what FROM did with co-op in this, but I really have to agree with everyone about the invasions. It really bums me out that I haven't been invaded at all during normal play. Kinda ruins the feeling a bit.

The bellbros and the rat covenant are great though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

Where do you even turn the boss souls into weapons? I haven't found a smith to do that yet.

It effectively ruins the game for the player since they have two choices; spend all those souls and trivialize the first few areas, or throw them away to retain the challenge but end up with a massive soul deficit for online play. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There's 2 boss soul smiths, Straid who is petrified in Bastille, and Ornifex, who is trapped in that big basilisk hole in Shaded Ruins. The key is on the petrified enemy right by the Shaded Ruins bonfire.

Trivializing a few areas is still a far cry from permanently ruining a playthrough. It can put you out of SM range of most players at the moment, but once people start getting a bit more levelled up there'll be a good amount of players at any range. You might have a bit of trouble finding summons for the area you're currently in, but since it trivializes the area, you wont be stuck. You my miss out on a bit of challenge in a couple of areas, but that's about it. It's a lovely, poorly thought out system, but it isn't going to permanently ruin your playthrough if a megamule suicides on you.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
When you can invade, it's a whole load of fun.

On most of my invasions, we always went toe to toe and we would both get down to the wire with just a tiny sliver of health. I like this PvP more then flying fliping Dads in Havel armor backstabbing you with lightning weapons. Finally going heavy with a greatshield is a more feasible then before.

Also guard breaks are fantastic for PvP as well. No one seems to use it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TopHatGenius posted:

Also guard breaks are fantastic for PvP as well. No one seems to use it.

As someone who uses guard breaks all the time in PVP, yeah, I've seen maybe 2-3 people try it on me. I guess people think it's about as useful as the kick for PVP? Guard break followed up by a flurry of poisoned Ricard's Rapier stabs or punching comboes from dual Caestuses is absolutely amazing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

ChaosArgate posted:

As someone who uses guard breaks all the time in PVP, yeah, I've seen maybe 2-3 people try it on me. I guess people think it's about as useful as the kick for PVP? Guard break followed up by a flurry of poisoned Ricard's Rapier stabs or punching comboes from dual Caestuses is absolutely amazing.

Half the time I parry/guard break someone I like to mock them with a gesture instead of going for the riposte/critical attack. Can backfire on you if you lose, but man is it satisfying if you still get the win.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
ok I think I'm ready to play now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It just opens the door. Good luck getting to it!

From last night, but after ringing the bell does the gate stay open, even if you eat it? I managed to ring it and get myself murdered, and the thought of making it back to the top made me call it a night.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Is there any trick to hitting people in PvP because I straight up do not understand the netcode. I'm getting poked by daggers 30 feet away but my halberd twirl doesn't hit a guy standing still.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

From last night, but after ringing the bell does the gate stay open, even if you eat it? I managed to ring it and get myself murdered, and the thought of making it back to the top made me call it a night.

The gate to the next fog gate stays open after ringing that bell. You only have to ring it once ever.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
My stubbornness won out over the Pursuer after ohhhhh, more attempts than it took to beat the entirety of the bosses in Dark Souls 1. But I didn't use my other effigy, so I think we all know who the real winner was :smug: it was misery - I'm a squishy swordsman

After reading the thread a bit, apparently there were some ballistae I could've used to make it easier! :suicide:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I think I'm waaaaaaay overleveled. I'm in the late 70s or early 80s SL and I've only gotten 1 of the 4 old souls.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I found the optional pursuer boss and freaked out, climbed back down the ladder. I was gonna try to climb up and punch him in the dick from the ladder but he despawned and now will not respawn. RIP.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014

Umberger posted:

This is true of the physical copy and I just assumed that this is the way things were. A quick search on YouTube can find you the "full" length tracks and they're quite a bit longer: Nashandra's track on the digital/physical OST is 3m09s but this version on YouTube is over 8m long, and even if it's looping it definitely has an intro segment that is not present on either copy of the OST.

For several of the songs it's super egregious -- the following songs are missing a minute or more from their full loop/runtime on the official OST:

Old Dragonslayer
Dragonrider
Flexile Sentry
Ruin Sentinels
Executioner's Chariot
Covetous Demon (the OST version is 0:46...)
Royal Rat Authority
The Duke's Dear Freja
Royal Rat Vanguard
Demon of Song
Throne Defender, Throne Watcher
Nashandra

Also, there's no main menu music {this was a problem with Dark Souls 1's OST too, granted), and almost every song that isn't listed above is missing a good 30 seconds or more as far as I can tell. It's sort of nuts.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Darke GBF posted:

After reading the thread a bit, apparently there were some ballistae I could've used to make it easier! :suicide:

Using them solo is a bit difficult since you need to parry him and do so in the proper position. If you can pull it off it takes out something like 3/4 of his health in one hit.

That being said, Pursuer is really good practice for dodging and I'd really encourage people who are having trouble with him to keep at it until you figure out dodge timing. All of his attacks are fairly telegraphed, and if you screw up/get hit he gives you plenty of time to heal up.

vandalism posted:

I found the optional pursuer boss and freaked out, climbed back down the ladder. I was gonna try to climb up and punch him in the dick from the ladder but he despawned and now will not respawn. RIP.

Your first encounter with him is truly optional. If he kills you there, he doesn't respawn. If you kill him there, it's just like you killed him in his proper boss arena. If he's not there, you will be able to fight him later, don't worry.

90s Shoes posted:

For several of the songs it's super egregious -- the following songs are missing a minute or more from their full loop/runtime on the official OST:

Also, there's no main menu music {this was a problem with Dark Souls 1's OST too, granted), and almost every song that isn't listed above is missing a good 30 seconds or more as far as I can tell. It's sort of nuts.

I like the fact that they included the OST but yeah looking at the official/standalone OST there is a pretty big disparity.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 27, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sober posted:

I think I'm waaaaaaay overleveled. I'm in the late 70s or early 80s SL and I've only gotten 1 of the 4 old souls.

Once you get the first the others start coming fast, it's not abnormal to be around that SL once you've completed the iron keep.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Once you get the first the others start coming fast, it's not abnormal to be around that SL once you've completed the iron keep.
Alright but I only finished Sinner's Rise. I guess the leveling curve is really shallow this time around, I always found it really easy to just pump 4-7 levels after each boss, or just doing co-op gives you a bunch of souls even just for helping I guess.

That plus I suppose if you've played Dark Souls 1 to the end it's not hard to figure the game out immediately.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

90s Shoes posted:

Probably just nickle and diming. Namco didn't want to pay for a second CD to accommodate the soundtrack.... so they paid someone to edit the music to fit in under 1 gigabyte. Pretty crummy.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Soul memory is not a big deal! Lots of people do co-op and pvp so don't feel like you will run out of pals if you don't pursue OPTIMAL SOUL ACQUISITION

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Soul memory is not a big deal! Lots of people do co-op and pvp so don't feel like you will run out of pals if you don't pursue OPTIMAL SOUL ACQUISITION

It's even less of a big deal in NG+ and beyond.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

90s Shoes posted:

Old Dragonslayer
Dragonrider
Flexile Sentry
Ruin Sentinels
Executioner's Chariot
Covetous Demon (the OST version is 0:46...)
Royal Rat Authority
The Duke's Dear Freja
Royal Rat Vanguard
Demon of Song
Throne Defender, Throne Watcher
Nashandra

Looking it up on youtube, Old Dragonslayer's theme is missing the entire second half of the song. It just cuts off on the OST.

By the way, where is the armor on the cover of the game (the plate mail with shaggy fur on it)? I've been wanting to put it on.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 27, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The jumps are supposed to be easy but the collision detection in the game is loving awful, when you're playing online things get extra janky.

I've also seen people run on the hot coals in Iron Keep to just immediately die. I mean, are you serious? There was a burning floor RIGHT next to a bonfire at the BEGINNING of the level so you could learn how much it hurts why are people so bad at this loving game holy poo poo.

A little late, but there's a reason people are doing that. There's treasure and several chests in the lava that you can get to (and survive) with enough stacked fire defense. That's why Iron Keep has all those jugs full of water sitting around, so you can soak yourself in it. Obviously those people were trying this and didn't have enough fire defense. :v:

Off the top of my head I know there's a really good pyromancy, a shield and a bonfire ascetic in the lava.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I am having so much trouble leveling up in the sunbro covenant. I just joined it rather late in the game (lvl 87 soul memory 1.3 million) and am trying to get the sunlight spear. I have been leaving my summon sign in the old iron keep because the smelter demon is an rear end in a top hat. I'm getting hits pretty regularly but I think the boss might be too tough to reliably kill. The hosts just keep dying :(

Where is a good place to help people out?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lockstone conservation tips for paranoid scrubs: Every lockstone has some unique effect or item attached to it that's always worth getting, except in these circumstances: Rat area lockstones (these activate traps so unless you're in the Rat covenant, you're doubly loving yourself over) and lockstones with a square stone basin at the base of them (these activate a healing pool, which sounds nice, but are all in completely useless areas). Otherwise, go hog wild with your lockstones.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So after getting a few hours in and now being in front of the Bastille sentinels boss fight, I've started to form an opinion on DS2 and I've got to ask... does anyone else feel that Dark Souls 2 is just somehow less fair than Dark Souls 1 was?

My problem is, in Dark Souls 1 I always had the impression that the game was giving me an honest shot. There were tough situations, but you always got to assess what you were up against up front. I never felt like there were any cheap shots. When I died, I never felt that it wasn't my own fault for getting in over my head.

In Dark Souls 2, I have that feeling all the time. The biggest thing is that enemies aren't triggered by visual range anymore. I'll step through a door or into a corridor and a bunch of enemies that shouldn't even be able to see me yet will run up from half the level away and start converging on my location. With an annoying regularity, they'll even spawn in behind me from a location I've already cleared out.

There are also a lot of gauntlet-style thingies where I'll turn a corner or open a door just to be swarmed by a huge amount of enemies that were previously impossible to see, way more than the combat system is really suited for. The worst example so far must be the Royal Guards right before the Sentinel boss fight, because there's just a completely unprepossessing door and the moment you open it and step through, 8+ of them will just run up from offscreen and gang up on me in this tiny confined space with no warning at all, which is basically an instant kill I had no chance of doing anything about the first time around. It's really cheap and I don't like it at all.

So what I'd like to know is, does this keep up throughout the whole game and does it annoy everyone else as much as me? I'm not really sure I want to continue playing if the whole game is made up of cheap shots like that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I am having so much trouble leveling up in the sunbro covenant. I just joined it rather late in the game (lvl 87 soul memory 1.3 million) and am trying to get the sunlight spear. I have been leaving my summon sign in the old iron keep because the smelter demon is an rear end in a top hat. I'm getting hits pretty regularly but I think the boss might be too tough to reliably kill. The hosts just keep dying :(

Where is a good place to help people out?

Smelter Demon is good for getting summons but hosts can be idiots a lot of the time. There's a really good boss for it later in the game that is pretty easy to sunbro (spoilers if you don't have 4 great souls at least) The Looking Glass Knight

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

So after getting a few hours in and now being in front of the Bastille sentinels boss fight, I've started to form an opinion on DS2 and I've got to ask... does anyone else feel that Dark Souls 2 is just somehow less fair than Dark Souls 1 was?

My problem is, in Dark Souls 1 I always had the impression that the game was giving me an honest shot. There were tough situations, but you always got to assess what you were up against up front. I never felt like there were any cheap shots. When I died, I never felt that it wasn't my own fault for getting in over my head.

In Dark Souls 2, I have that feeling all the time. The biggest thing is that enemies aren't triggered by visual range anymore. I'll step through a door or into a corridor and a bunch of enemies that shouldn't even be able to see me yet will run up from half the level away and start converging on my location. With an annoying regularity, they'll even spawn in behind me from a location I've already cleared out.

There are also a lot of gauntlet-style thingies where I'll turn a corner or open a door just to be swarmed by a huge amount of enemies that were previously impossible to see, way more than the combat system is really suited for. The worst example so far must be the Royal Guards right before the Sentinel boss fight, because there's just a completely unprepossessing door and the moment you open it and step through, 8+ of them will just run up from offscreen and gang up on me in this tiny confined space with no warning at all, which is basically an instant kill I had no chance of doing anything about the first time around. It's really cheap and I don't like it at all.

So what I'd like to know is, does this keep up throughout the whole game and does it annoy everyone else as much as me? I'm not really sure I want to continue playing if the whole game is made up of cheap shots like that.

I don't recall enemies spawning behind me at any stage in the game. They do hide though which may be why you think they're spawning.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I picked up the soul vessel? How does it work, what does it do? Some sort of stat reset?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Randler posted:

Rant about Earthen Keep summoning.

Everytime I get summoned with a sign close to the fog door, the host hasn't cleared the poison. And because he's already at the fog door, I can't convince the host to follow me all the way back to the central bonfire. I guess I'll just place my sign at the central fire and show people the gimmick interaction and the illusionary walls and be content without boss fighting. Also, a lot of shades want to fight Mytha in the poison even if you have drained the middle area. Mytha is probably way more difficult with shades than doing her solo, like I did.

The thing you have to do is not obvious at all, so it's partially the game's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Pwnstar posted:

For the first month or so sure, but once the playerbase thins out to people who want to online regularly pickings are going to get slim fast.