Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Umberger posted:

Fairly late in the game actually. After you get to Drangleic Castle, there is a room with 6 doors guarded by stone, spear wielding knights. Kill one near a door to open it. Looking into the room from the "entrance", the room on the far left corner has a breakable floor which leads you to the armor set and one of the Abyssal covenant locations. It's called the Faraam set.

Thanks! It's one of the few sets I've seen cooler than the elite knight so far. I'm really missing my black iron gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there any way to get a cross hair for aiming spells when using the binoculars? My aim is pretty good but it would be nice not wasting 3 soul arrows getting it right. Or do I just need to get better at it so I don't need them?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The "Where to now" bits of the game are rather badly communicated. A new player finishes with Sinner's Rise since that was obviously the way forward up to that point and then goes to Heide's, sees the big fuckoff knights and turns back because, hey, they must be hard. I certainly had that problem.

No they aren't. Do you guys not talk to the NPCs. They clue you were to go. Oh wait this isn't the console thread my bad. I was gonna say READ the op but that was for the console thread.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kimmalah posted:

Enemies never spawn in behind you. If you're getting ambushed, that means something is hiding somewhere and you ran past without seeing it. I know on the way to the Bastille boss, there are several guys who are hiding in a room off that hallway that are easy to trigger.

With the guards in the room, you need to take them outside and get back on to the main pathway. Don't try to fight them in that tiny outdoor courtyard thing (yes you can leave it again once you enter). A lot of them will either fall off trying to follow or spread out into more manageable groups. You can also snipe at least one or two through the window if you're doing ranged.

Really that's kind of what it boils down to, you have to know where enemies are and strategize for it.
I've already gotten past that spot, it's fairly easy to do once you're aware of where the enemies are and how they behave. My problem with it is that the first time you get there, you can't see the enemies and don't know that being seen by one of them triggers them all, so it'll basically get a first time player every time unless they're really good at reacting quickly and thinking on their feet. It's a dumb "gotcha!" moment and I'd like to know if I can expect the game to keep doing this sort of thing.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm not digging this new lose-max-hp-on-death system at all. It feels punitive in a way losing your humanity in Dark Souls 1 never did.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

No they aren't. Do you guys not talk to the NPCs. They clue you were to go.

The forest is what really threw me off about it so far, the whole area looks pretty samey and there's five directions you can go at one point, several of which loop back on each other.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Jose posted:

Is there any way to get a cross hair for aiming spells when using the binoculars? My aim is pretty good but it would be nice not wasting 3 soul arrows getting it right. Or do I just need to get better at it so I don't need them?

I could have sworn I once saw beta footage of spell aiming with cross-hairs a long time ago, so I'd like to know this too.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Airflamer posted:

There's so much bellbroing I can't even play the game

:allears:

Does it matter what zone you're in, to be summoned as a bellbro while wearing the ring? I understand you can't be summoned while in Majula but are all other zones equal chance, or are zones closer to the Belfry more frequent to summon you?

BreakAtmo posted:

For gently caress's sake. Is it common to have lag issues? I've lost all my Effigies because I just keep getting invaded over and over again, and they keep winning due to lag.

I haven't used a single effigy yet to become human. Try the small white soapstone.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Please don't summon white phantoms, and then make leaps of faith for poo poo you haven't collected yet :psyduck:

I've been summoned so many times just to watch a host jump off a cliff to their death after several minutes of going through the level. This is the one scenario where I miss GFWL because I can't message them about how much they suck and how they should die in a fire.

I've done that exact thing as a host. Sorry! It's just that sometimes a bro needs help to get through and area and back to his corpse/souls, or just mistimes a jump.

Umberger posted:

Resists work in an odd way.

Weapon A has 200 physical
Weapon B has 100 physical 100 lightning
Enemy A has 50 armor/resist to all types of damage

Hitting Enemy A with Weapon A gives you 200-50 = 150 attack.
Hitting Enemy A with Weapon B gives you (100-50) + (100-50) = 100 attack.

I did not know this -- that's amazingly informative and pretty counter-intuitive. I thought defense/resist ratings were part of some formula more complicated than 'subtraction'.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Wanna say after doing my first run through on the console using the Heide's Sword as my go to weapon for the majority of the game (it's the Drake Sword, but it never actually drops off!), doing a playthrough on the PC and using a Mace is insane. It's so good, I underestimated all the praise it was getting but it's amazing. If you're running a strength character grab a Mace.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Meat Recital posted:

I'm not digging this new lose-max-hp-on-death system at all. It feels punitive in a way losing your humanity in Dark Souls 1 never did.

It's straight out of Demon's Souls, except way more friendly. In Demon's Souls when you died you went straight to half health. Even the ring that buffed your health while dead wasn't quite as good.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Shindragon posted:

No they aren't. Do you guys not talk to the NPCs. They clue you were to go. Oh wait this isn't the console thread my bad. I was gonna say READ the op but that was for the console thread.

I talk to everyone until their dialogue is exhausted. Still, those giant knights reminded me too much of the giants in Anor Londo so I tried going elsewhere first.

Lost Sinner especially leaves you with a kind of "That's it?" feeling. Didn't even realize I was going for a Great Soul until it turned up in my inventory.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Meat Recital posted:

Isn't this just the Demon's Souls gimmick?

Also I heard something about a ring that limits these effects somewhat.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Pursuer is straight up oneshotting me now. Yeah okay.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Meat Recital posted:

Get the binding ring then. It keeps you at 75% of health regardless of how many times you died so it's not to bad.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I reached the highest rank in both the Brodents and the Bellbros. In one day.

Highlight: a dude who was totally destroying me with his overpowered club until a Bellbro invaded with me and a black dwarf was aggroed. The host spent a good 30 seconds dodging firebombs, spells, getting poison-farted on, and finally got killed by a throwing knife as he was entering the fog. I stopped attacking at some point because I was laughing so hard I was crying.

Now if only I could get summoned as a white phantom with the Blue Sentinels ring. Any success stories so far? Because I'm in the covenant and I keep that goddamn ring on me at all times, but nothing ever happens.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I can't believe I got an Old Whip from a regular Small and Silky Stone. Now I feel compelled to level up dex enough to use it.

The Old Whip is absolutely devastating when fully upgraded because it actually does decent damage to armored enemies, it just breaks absurdly quickly unless you have some rings on to delay that. I think it breaks in like 16 hits if you don't have a ring.

On the plus side, nobody really notices it in your hand and it surprises the poo poo out of people in PVP so you can get a quick kill off.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cardiovorax posted:

I've already gotten past that spot, it's fairly easy to do once you're aware of where the enemies are and how they behave. My problem with it is that the first time you get there, you can't see the enemies and don't know that being seen by one of them triggers them all, so it'll basically get a first time player every time unless they're really good at reacting quickly and thinking on their feet. It's a dumb "gotcha!" moment and I'd like to know if I can expect the game to keep doing this sort of thing.

Not often, but yes there will be moments like that. I don't see what the problem is really, you either think on your feet or you die. The game is supposed to be harsh.

Really if you're in a situation you don't want to deal with find an escape route and run. Enemies are tethered in this game so they'll only follow you a certain distance most of the time. Then use the break to plan your next move.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Meat Recital posted:

Pursuer is straight up oneshotting me now. Yeah okay.

It's also optional and you can summon people to trivialize it.

I talk to everyone until their dialogue is exhausted. Still, those giant knights reminded me too much of the giants in Anor Londo so I tried going elsewhere first.

Lost Sinner especially leaves you with a kind of "That's it?" feeling. Didn't even realize I was going for a Great Soul until it turned up in my inventory.

I felt the same about the Lost Sinner and was really surprised to find it was special. They didn't do any build up at all like with the intro to Dark Souls. You knew who you were dealing with when you met Seath or Nito.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Jolly co-operation will restore your humanity so if you are having a hard time, try helping other players for a while.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

I can't blame you with the Giant Knights. Can't be parried, they will hit hard as hell etc. As for the Lost Sinner, I can see that but I guess my ears perked up when Emerald Herald said to find four great souls and with each boss I killed I kept thinking which one would be one of those "big" four souls. I kinda figured the one in Sinner's Rise is one of them because that area screamed, end of the line here.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 27, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

White phantom question: say you summon a white bro to accomplish some goal (like clearing an area to get an item or to get to some souls you dropped on death), but do not want to engage the area boss yet.

After you finish the goal, is there a nice way to part ways with the phantom so you can bonfire/etc again? Waiting for them to time out would take forever. My understanding is that the Black Separation Crystal will send them home with 'no reward' which seems semi-rude to the phantom at hand who was probably hoping to beat a boss and get a reward.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Your best is to summon the ones with small signs. Yeah unfortunately there is no way other than timing it out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Jose posted:

No. Just put whatever you're shooting right in the center of the screen and usually it will hit or be close. Also get more spells for more casts so it's not a big deal to miss a few. Otherwise you can do like some FPS guys and put a piece of tape or something on the center of your TV screen. :v:

Shindragon posted:

I can't blame you with the Giant Knights. Can't be parried, they will hit hard as hell etc. As for the Lost Sinner, I can see that but I guess my ears perked up when Emerald Herald said to find four great souls and with each boss I killed I kept thinking which one would be one of those "big" four souls. I kinda figured the one in Lost Bastille is one of them because that area screamed, end of the line here.

I think the only time I really got kind of lost was right at the end of Dragon Shrine when I got the Ashen Mist Heart. The only reason I knew what to do at that point was from reading a guide because it was kind of unclear. I also really had to stop and think to figure out where to go to get to the Throne of Want.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 27, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Heide's Tower of Flame is just an alternative route to get to The Lost Sinner. You should go through it and the next area for some neat items.

Also did you go to the end of the area? There should have been a chest and a bonfire which you should light, there's also an item in the chest which you should read its description.

Ooooh poo poo, I never read the descriptions I got, all I saw was 'mushroom this' and I was like 'blech some kind of healing item I bet' I should open up the game and see what was it I actually picked up from the chest haha.

I just got confused because I got to the chest and bonfire after that boss and saw that it was a full stop dead end, I'll start going through the tower of flame now.

quote:

A new player finishes with Sinner's Rise since that was obviously the way forward up to that point and then goes to Heide's, sees the big fuckoff knights and turns back because, hey, they must be hard. I certainly had that problem.

Yeah, when I first experienced the tower of flame the difficulty spike was so insane and the sentinels so big I just got too intimidated to try it, also, the game kind of sets you up to follow the other path because the difficulty ramps up more naturally and has a certain story flow to it:-

Forest > Giant> Pursuer > Falcon > Bastille > three caballero sentinels > sinners rise > lost sinner.

The winds of the game just pushed me in that direction because it felt like a natural progression.

Also, I just came to the realization that Dark Souls 2 is actually a better cooperative dungeon crawler than Diablo 3. The only thing missing from making this a better multilayer experience is being able to pick who you summon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kimmalah posted:

Not often, but yes there will be moments like that. I don't see what the problem is really, you either think on your feet or you die. The game is supposed to be harsh.
Like I said, I think it's unfair in a way that Dark Souls 1 wasn't. There's a difference between being harsh and dropping a dozen enemies on you from a blind angle that you had no way of noticing beforehand.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kimmalah posted:

No. Just put whatever you're shooting right in the center of the screen and usually it will hit or be close. Also get more spells for more casts so it's not a big deal to miss a few. Otherwise you can do like some FPS guys and put a piece of tape or something on the center of your TV screen. :v:

I think the only time I really got kind of lost was right at the end of Dragon Shrine when I got the Ashen Mist Heart. The only reason I knew what to do at that point was from reading a guide because it was kind of unclear. I also really had to stop and think to figure out where to go to get to the Throne of Want.

That last one? Yeah not going to lie to you I didn't know where to go either. It's a bit of an obscure moment I only had the advantage because well

I tested this game, and they give us hints where to go.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Like I said, I think it's unfair in a way that Dark Souls 1 wasn't. There's a difference between being harsh and dropping a dozen enemies on you from a blind angle that you had no way of noticing beforehand.

There's one instance of this in particular in the Harvest Valley which made me tell the game to gently caress right off.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
There's only one room I have a problem (in the sense that I think it's shoddy design that has no place in a Souls game) and that's that particular one in Lost Bastille with 5+ flamberge soldiers. It just doesn't work from a gameplay point of view.

Funnily enough, I checked out the post you were quoting, which was quoting yet another post which is talking about the very same room.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Ooooh poo poo, I never read the descriptions I got, all I saw was 'mushroom this' and I was like 'blech some kind of healing item I bet' I should open up the game and see what was it I actually picked up from the chest haha.

I just got confused because I got to the chest and bonfire after that boss and saw that it was a full stop dead end, I'll start going through the tower of flame now.

Tower of Flame will lead you back to Lost Sinner eventually, the important thing about it is there's an NPC there who can open a new path for you that you need. Plus souls, loot, and Gavlan of course. :v:

After the Lost Sinner, you can use the Fragrant Branch of Yore to un-petrify someone. Either that woman blocking the path or that dude in the Bastille who will trade for boss souls. It's kind of your choice, the path being blocked is kind of a dead end until later in the game when you have the four souls and another big item.

There's one instance of this in particular in the Harvest Valley which made me tell the game to gently caress right off.

The big sickle wielding guys? :v: I'll admit I used decoy spells to kill them from far away. But they're easy to get away from once you know the escape route.

I still didn't really mind it. I just felt like "This is Dark Souls" and figured out a strategy to kill them next time (which I did).

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 27, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Has anyone used the voice chat for sunbroing? Is it as terrible as I imagine?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Tower of Flame will lead you back to Lost Sinner eventually, the important thing about it is there's an NPC there who can open a new path for you that you need. Plus souls, loot, and Gavlan of course. :v:

After the Lost Sinner, you can use the Fragrant Branch of Yore to un-petrify someone. Either that woman blocking the path or that dude in the Bastille who will trade for boss souls. It's kind of your choice, the path being blocked is kind of a dead end until later in the game when you have the four souls and another big item.

Wait, you only get one and have to pick? Well, poo poo.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

That ain't entirely correct, you need to go down that path to get to one of the four souls.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You get mutiple, don't worry. In fact you get more than you actually need in the game and they don't transfer over to NG+

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

There are more, they're just in other areas. You can eventually unlock everything.

e;fb

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

pmchem posted:

I did not know this -- that's amazingly informative and pretty counter-intuitive. I thought defense/resist ratings were part of some formula more complicated than 'subtraction'.

I'm sure there is a formula or something a little more complicated than that, it's just an over-simplification to illustrate why weapons with split damage may be equal to or worse than a weapon which has the same attack rating but no split.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

I remember one goon saying he encountering someone screaming AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH when he used immolation and kept doing it while running around in fire.

So experience may vary. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This lack of shards/large titanite shards is starting to bug me. I have 40 chunks of titanite, and want to stop using the fire longsword, but it's better than the rest of my stuff because I put all my shards into the longsword and sorcerer's staff. I can only use a handful of other weapons at 16 str/10 dex, but I don't want to level up yet because I can't use those other weapons anyway. I feel like in DS1 I had way more options far earlier when playing as a battlemage, until I settled on the furysword.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

That ain't entirely correct, you need to go down that path to get to one of the four souls.

You get mutiple, don't worry. In fact you get more than you actually need in the game and they don't transfer over to NG+

Yeah, I just meant that there's really only one way to go until later and it might be kind of disappointing to someone who thinks opening that path is going to be like opening up the world or something.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
/\/\/\you motherfuckre

Someone said they summoned a dude who immediately cast immolation and spent the entire duration of the summon screaming. That kind of justifies it all by itself.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

I got summoned as a shade to someone's world and they were watching some terrible hospital soap drama on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Man, I've been summoned to help kill the Belfry gargoyles three times now, but just about every time I try to summon other people to help me it errors out. Managed to get one guy to show up and (of course) we were invaded and killed. It's super strange because summoning has been pretty consistent for me up until this point.

I like the fact that the area is dangerous and don't mind losing, but after about half an hour that starts to get real old.