Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

RBA Starblade posted:

This lack of shards/large titanite shards is starting to bug me. I have 40 chunks of titanite, and want to stop using the fire longsword, but it's better than the rest of my stuff because I put all my shards into the longsword and sorcerer's staff. I can only use a handful of other weapons at 16 str/10 dex, but I don't want to level up yet because I can't use those other weapons anyway. I feel like in DS1 I had way more options far earlier when playing as a battlemage, until I settled on the furysword.

Well if it helps...

I assume you haven't met the Stone Trader Merchant. She's in Earthen Peak, and if you exhaust your options with her, she moves to Majula. She sells shards limited at first, but once you made certain progress she sells them infinitely. I think she sells large titanite shards once you clear Iron Keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Shindragon posted:

I remember one goon saying he encountering someone screaming AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH when he used immolation and kept doing it while running around in fire.

So experience may vary. :v:

Oh man, looking at it that way... Sunbro micspam could be hilarious. :getin:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

This lack of shards/large titanite shards is starting to bug me. I have 40 chunks of titanite, and want to stop using the fire longsword, but it's better than the rest of my stuff because I put all my shards into the longsword and sorcerer's staff. I can only use a handful of other weapons at 16 str/10 dex, but I don't want to level up yet because I can't use those other weapons anyway. I feel like in DS1 I had way more options far earlier when playing as a battlemage, until I settled on the furysword.

You can buy a bunch from the smiths. Also go to Harvest Valley there are guys there that drop titanite shards constantly. More importantly, there's a stone merchant who will move to Majula if you exhaust her dialogue. After certain points she will have unlimited stock of some things. Doors of Pharros and Black Gulch are also good for titanite drops - play offline if you don't want to deal with ratbros.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Personally I like the fact at the start of the game you only have a limited amount of things you can upgrade, but I can understand why it would be annoying.

If it is REALLY bugging you, start going through Huntman's Copse and the areas after that, which can be accessed after doing Heide's Tower of Flame.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 27, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shindragon posted:

Well if it helps...

I assume you haven't met the Stone Trader Merchant. She's in Earthen Peak, and if you exhaust your options with her, she moves to Majula. She sells shards limited at first, but once you made certain progress she sells them infinitely. I think she sells large titanite shards once you clear Iron Keep.

I think she works like this...

When you first meet her, she sells 10 shards.
When you beat Iron Keep, she carries unlimited shards and 10 large shards.
When you get to Drangleic Castle with the four great souls or thereabout, she carries unlimited large shards and some chunks. Maybe getting the Ring?
After you beat the final boss, she has unlimited chunks.

I think she's weirdly staggered though, and agree that the game doesn't gain much by severely restricting your access to upgrade materials until she has large shards.

It's also kind of dumb how early you can get a few slabs and how Bellbros can stockpile chunks but you can't break them down into large shards or anything so you end up having +3 weapons for half the game with an inventory full of slabs and chunks.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 27, 2014

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Ring of Binding: do you need to have it equipped when you die, or can you equip it after you've died a lot and gotten below 75% max hp?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The problem is that once you upgraded your then-favorite weapon far enough, everything else you find comes off as lackluster. You can't bring new weapons up to the level of your old one for a fair comparison either since shards are limited.

Then again everything is lackluster compared to the almighty mace.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So I'm a souls newbie. I haven't made a lot of progress so far but I was running through Heide trying to find that item mentioned in the OP and I ran into a Dragonslayer boss that I accidently killed by causing it to fall off the ledge :owned: you big dumb babby boss.

Now I'm "stupidly" rich with 12k Souls which I'm sure to lose by doing something stupid. Is there something I should spend them on from my available NPCs, upgrade my Mace or just upgrade my character?

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Question about the bell keeper convenant:

So last night I burned an effigy thinking it would help stop the invasions as I was running through the tower. It didn't, but whatever I decided I would join the bell keepers because it looks like fun. So anyways, I figured the burned effigy would wear off on its own after I quit the game, but when I logged on today I still can't put my summon signs down anywhere in Lost Bastille, and three times now it has tried to summon me to the bell tower to invade trespassers but nothing happens. Like, the message pops up and starts flashing but I don't get summoned... what's the deal?

^^^That little soapstone looking thing with the red line through it means that the burned effigy is still in effect, right? Does that thing run on an in game timer or something and won't run out without being logged in to the game?

For clarification, I'm definitely in online mode, I can leave messages, my messages are getting rated, etc. Everyone talking about all this PVP action they're getting sounds awesome and I want in on it!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

PirateBob posted:

Ring of Binding: do you need to have it equipped when you die, or can you equip it after you've died a lot and gotten below 75% max hp?

You can equip it after it'll still work but it doesn't heal you back up to to the 75%.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

PirateBob posted:

If I remember correctly because I did this alot when trying to practice that stupid awful speedrun twinkling titanite jump of doom, yeah you can equip even after dying alot and it moves back the HP bar back to 75% of your health.

Kinda like how I always flip rings around and my health fluctuates because certain rings increase or decrease it.

edit: Yeah that, it will give you 75% hp but not healed, so gotta heal first. :v:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Think of it this way (not actual formulas):

Your HP formula is (Max HP) * [1-(# of deaths * 0.05)] with no ring equipped.
Your HP formula is (Map HP) * [1-(# of deaths * 0.025)] with the RoB equipped.

It doesn't matter when you equip it, it basically just applies a "buff" that changes the health reduction formula. You will see the effect instantaneously upon equipping/removing the ring.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 27, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think she works like this...

When you first meet her, she sells 10 shards.
When you beat Iron Keep, she carries unlimited shards and 10 large shards.
When you get to Drangleic Castle with the four great souls or thereabout, she carries unlimited large shards and some chunks. Maybe getting the Ring?
After you beat the final boss, she has unlimited chunks.

I think she's weirdly staggered though, and agree that the game doesn't gain much by severely restricting your access to upgrade materials until she has large shards.

It's also kind of dumb how early you can get a few slabs and how Bellbros can stockpile chunks but you can't break them down into large shards or anything so you end up having +3 weapons for half the game.

She also gets rarer items and infusion stones after you obtain the King's Ring.

PirateBob posted:

You can equip it before or after, if it's after your max HP will rise to 75%.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Xaris posted:

Now I'm "stupidly" rich with 12k Souls which I'm sure to lose by doing something stupid. Is there something I should spend them on from my available NPCs, upgrade my Mace or just upgrade my character?

:allears:

Equipment breaks. Soul levels are forever.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

So I'm a souls newbie. I haven't made a lot of progress so far but I was running through Heide trying to find that item mentioned in the OP and I ran into a Dragonslayer boss that I accidently killed by causing it to fall off the ledge :owned: you big dumb babby boss.

Did you find the item? It sounds like you actually killed the Dragonrider, which is in completely the opposite direction of the ring of binding (I'm assuming that's what you wanted?) You can't push the Dragonslayer off a ledge as much as I wish I could have!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah, that boss. I never found the item :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Right, gently caress Harvest Valley. Did I miss a set somewhere with good poison resist? Seriously it's like the the DS1 swamp but only worse, because now if you're poisoned you lose your health in like five seconds. I mean okay I have like 10 poison clumps, and I found Gavlan chilling in a hole to wheel and deal me some more, but I feel like even that is going to be all gone by the time I'm done with this place.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

Right, gently caress Harvest Valley. Did I miss a set somewhere with good poison resist? Seriously it's like the the DS1 swamp but only worse, because now if you're poisoned you lose your health in like five seconds. I mean okay I have like 10 poison clumps, and I found Gavlan chilling in a hole to wheel and deal me some more, but I feel like even that is going to be all gone by the time I'm done with this place.

Nope, just bring a bunch of items that cure poison. It's dumb but it's not a challenging area once you're set up for the gimmick.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kimmalah posted:

Tower of Flame will lead you back to Lost Sinner eventually, the important thing about it is there's an NPC there who can open a new path for you that you need. Plus souls, loot, and Gavlan of course. :v:

After the Lost Sinner, you can use the Fragrant Branch of Yore to un-petrify someone. Either that woman blocking the path or that dude in the Bastille who will trade for boss souls. It's kind of your choice, the path being blocked is kind of a dead end until later in the game when you have the four souls and another big item.

Wait, is there never going to be another opportunity to unpetrify the lady if I decide to free up the guy who trades boss souls? is that guy absolutely worth it?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

Yeah, that boss. I never found the item :v:

Yeah you went the wrong way for the item. :v: When you enter the big circular room in Heide (with the 3 dudes) go left. You'll eventually get to Cathedral of Blue and the ring is in a chest on the ledge outside. The boss there is basically optional unless you want to be a Bluebro.

You did go the right way to unlock some more areas though, so that's consolation I guess!

Al-Saqr posted:

Wait, is there never going to be another opportunity to unpetrify the lady if I decide to free up the guy who trades boss souls? is that guy absolutely worth it?

No you will get more branches, lots more. There are at least two in Harvest Valley, one for sale in Iron Keep and one or two in the Shaded Ruins area. I've un-petrified everyone and everything and I still have branches leftover.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sydin posted:

If you have a lot of lifegems, chew on one or two, and it should beat the poison's effect. If you can, get some Missionary Charms, they heal health and stop the poison.

Al-Saqr posted:

You can find more, it's no problem.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

Nah, there is plenty of those items to unpetrify. The games gives you enough to fool around unpetrify a bunch of things and never run out to screw yourself from progression.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sydin posted:

Nope, it's just there to gently caress you. You can get a poison resist ring...in the next area, teehee :D
If you run out of poison resisting/curing materials (lifegems sort of help with poison too) then just run through the area and come back later. The most interesting items there are not in the poisoned areas at all.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Sydin posted:

Popping a lifegem will completely negate the poison damage for maybe half of the duration. You can also stand in poison while it ticks down and it won't count against it. Just make sure you're out of it when it resets.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Umberger posted:

Think of it this way (not actual formulas):

Your HP formula is (Max HP) * [1-(# of deaths * 0.05)] with no ring equipped.
Your HP formula is (Map HP) * [1-(# of deaths * 0.025)] with the RoB equipped.

It doesn't matter when you equip it, it basically just applies a "buff" that changes the health reduction formula. You will see the effect instantaneously upon equipping/removing the ring.

Nice, thanks.

Starting to think something is wrong with my +6 Mace... after just 9-10 normal enemies it's down to 50% durability :qq:

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Man, it's a shame being a Bluebro pretty much stops working past the first area. It was really fun for the first day then it was just kinda annoying once I found out the requirements to be summoned. Thank god for Sunbros still being around.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sydin posted:

If you have points in Faith, there is a miracle that will cure poison. Poison moss and anything that cures status effects (like Divine Blessing, some of the charms, etc.) will work too. For most of Harvest Valley you'll be fine as long as you sprint through it before the meter fills up.

Also if you talked to him in the Wharf, Gavlan is in a cave in Harvest Valley and he sells TONS of poison moss.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

PirateBob posted:

Nice, thanks.

Starting to think something is wrong with my +6 Mace... after just 9-10 normal enemies it's down to 50% durability :qq:

Maces have a tendency to hit the floor a lot and so lose durability like crazy.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I beat the Bell Gargoyles on my first try. My rapier and drangleic shield are all but depleted, and I've used all my throwing knives and half my lifestones.

So loving worth it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

turtlecrunch posted:

Nope, it's just there to gently caress you. You can get a poison resist ring...in the next area, teehee :D
:darksouls:

In any case, thanks all. I'll keep powering through. I'm off the join the Sunbros.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lingering Flame is a real piece of poo poo. Two slots and that long of a chargeup? Why bother?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

SirDan3k posted:

Maces have a tendency to hit the floor a lot and so lose durability like crazy.

Oh. At least there's an explanation. That's kinda lame though. As long as I hit the enemy it shouldn't count as a ground hit :qq:

Would it help to aim higher?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If it helps you get can get a ring later that basically lowers the degrading of weapons.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Nice, thanks.

If you're in the Lost Bastille, you can get a ring that slows equipment degradation.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zombies' Downfall posted:

McDuff offers unlimited large shards right off the bat as soon as you give him the dull ember. Your barrier at that point becomes slabs, since you can Bellbro for chunks pretty easily.

edit: Actually, you can get every ore type but large shards by trading with the crows. Since you get smooth and silky stones from small white soapstones you basically have as unlimited of a supply as you can work towards.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 27, 2014

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

neetengie posted:

If you're in the Lost Bastille, you can get a ring that slows equipment degradation.

Yeah I'm trying to beat the sentinel pricks. What's the name of the ring? I'll look up a youtube vid of it or something.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So what's the deal with anti-cheat in the PC version? I just got facemurdered by some guy who ran 4x normal speed and one-shotted me.

Is it just that if you've been VAC banned before, you can't sign in online? Is there any actual anti-cheat protection?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

So what's the deal with anti-cheat in the PC version? I just got facemurdered by some guy who ran 4x normal speed and one-shotted me.

Is it just that if you've been VAC banned before, you can't sign in online? Is there any actual anti-cheat protection?

I don't think there's any automatic anti-cheat, but if you've been VAC banned you are unable to use the online features. Here is a guide on how to report people.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Yeah I'm trying to beat the sentinel pricks. What's the name of the ring? I'll look up a youtube vid of it or something.

Bracing Knuckle Ring, IIRC the room where there are the exploding mummies in the clay effigy looking pots (which is past the Sentinels, but you should be able to get past them by using the No Man's Wharf entrance I think), there's a hidden wall. There should be a slanted path in there with another hidden wall. WHen you find that one, turn left and keep going left, it should be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Umberger posted:

I don't think there's any automatic anti-cheat, but if you've been VAC banned you are unable to use the online features. Here is a guide on how to report people.

This afaik. No anti-cheat they just hosed up and everyone with a VAC ban was added to their ban list.