Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The six flame-immune and dark-resistant enemies that circle you the moment you pull the the switch next to Rosabeth is a really lovely move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

The six flame-immune and dark-resistant enemies that circle you the moment you pull the the switch next to Rosabeth is a really lovely move.

If you open the two bottom doors you can kill those two. If you break open the top doors with arrows or magic, and hit one of the engorged undead with it, the other three and it will come down so you can kill them. So the only thing in your way after that is The Basilisk! :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Schwack posted:

Yeah, I stayed away from info too and that's disappointing. It's still a fun game, but you can definitely tell that these guys are a long ways up their own asses in terms of making a xhardxcorex game first and foremost rather than an excellent game that ends up being very challenging.
Glad I'm not the only one feeling that way. I mean, I'm still having fun and it's still a Souls game, but it's definitely not going to take first place in my personal ranking of the series any time soon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Umberger posted:

Oh. Well then.

Well FROM at least has the capability to restrict people from accessing online play in some capacity right? :frogbon:

They'll probably go after the most obvious cheaters.

In other words, people who have crazy stats on leaderboards. That's what they did on console (supposedly).

So at least we might see what a clean Book of the Guilty might have looked. Maaaaybe. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Am I wrong in believing that SL no longer matters for summoning and invasions and it's all about SM now?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Maxmaps posted:

Am I wrong in believing that SL no longer matters for summoning and invasions and it's all about SM now?

You are correct.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Tallgeese posted:

You are correct.

And here I've been trying not to ever spend my souls on levels so I wouldn't outlevel bosses for summons :downs:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

You can kill them before you pull the lever. They're all behind doors above the area. You can jump across and pick them off one at a time. They definitely aren't immune to magic like soul arrows or lightning. It is kind of lovely, but I assume the area before with the guys behind doors was meant as a hint.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

You can kill them before you pull the lever. They're all behind doors above the area. You can jump across and pick them off one at a time. They definitely aren't immune to magic like soul arrows or lightning. It is kind of lovely, but I assume the area before with the guys behind doors was meant as a hint.

There are stairs to the upper level in that first room? Well gently caress. I only got to the second room's.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Everyone talking about Bellkeeping is telling the truth. It's the best. My favorite part is when they run for the little bridge.
Push push push.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

There are stairs to the upper level in that first room? Well gently caress. I only got to the second room's.

Not exactly, but you can jump from the steps to that upper level if you angle it right.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How do you tell how many titanite chunks you have, if none of your items need chunks for upgrades (yet) at the smith?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

pmchem posted:

How do you tell how many titanite chunks you have, if none of your items need chunks for upgrades (yet) at the smith?

There's an inventory tab with all of your upgrade materials.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

pmchem posted:

Scroll right in your inventory

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

pmchem posted:

Look in your inventory?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hahaha oh god I didn't realize that tab scrolled right.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Am I just using lovely staves or does magic damage from intelligence really soft cap at 20? I went from getting about 6 points per int to about 1 point every 2, and I don't know if it's really worth boosting it up any more.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

ulvir posted:

Lost a bloodstain with 35000 souls trying to get up to the Undead Purgatory.

I'm done for this evening.

I lost a 60k bloodstain earlier. And then got myself murdered 4 or 5 times in quick succession afterwards for good measure.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Cyberventurer posted:

Am I just using lovely staves or does magic damage from intelligence really soft cap at 20? I went from getting about 6 points per int to about 1 point every 2, and I don't know if it's really worth boosting it up any more.

IIRC the benefits from 20-30 suck, but it gets better at 30-40. Softcap is 50 iirc.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm feeling kind of lost atm. Any thoughts on where to go next?

Areas I've visited/bosses killed:

Forest of Fallen Giants - Bosses killed: The Last Giant, The Pursuer

The Lost Bastille

No-Man's Wharf

Huntsman's Copse - Bosses killed: Skeleton Lords

Harvest Valley

Earthen Peak - Bosses killed: Covetous Demon

Heide's Tower of Flame - Bosses killed: Old Dragonslayer, Dragonrider

Shaded Woods

I'm currently making my way through Earthen Peak and getting frustrated by those loving headless thief enemies and the occasional hammer fatty. Can you parry the thieves at all? They're swift and cause bleed and it's loving bullshit.

It kinda feels like this game pulls you in several different directions at once, it's kinda frustrating and cool at the same time. I'm tempted to go running around the fogged area of Shaded Woods just to see what's there, but there's also gotta be stuff in No-Man's Wharf I haven't found yet.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I finally found a reliable way to do the Guard Break and Jumping Attack. Instead of my Logitech F310 I used an Xbox controller and suddenly I was able to instantly chain guard breaks. :psyduck:

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Probably a stupid question, but is the online like DS1 in that if you kill the boss of an area, you won't get invaded there anymore, and does this include bellbros and rat bros? IE, if I kill the gargoyles will I no longer get bell invaders, and if I kill the pharros boss and royal rat vanguard will I no longer get drawn into rat worlds?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cyberventurer posted:

Probably a little of both. Just consider it encouragement to use hexes, they're really good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cyberventurer posted:

Gains from stats all have diminishing returns. For most stats, 20 is the point where tier 2 starts, so you'll see less return from 20-40 and then even less from 40-99. Since all the better spells have minimum stat requirements, it's still worth pumping to 40 if you want to be able to cast everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I spent an hour looking for it, then stumbled on Myrha without finding the thing to make it easier and died in short order. That's pretty well hidden.

e: Oh son of a bitch I just use the torch, it's not a thing I use in-environment. gently caress.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Meat Recital posted:

Pursuer is straight up oneshotting me now. Yeah okay.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The Dragonslayer Greatbow is back and even better than before. I'm having way too much fun with this thing

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Probably a stupid question, but is the online like DS1 in that if you kill the boss of an area, you won't get invaded there anymore, and does this include bellbros and rat bros? IE, if I kill the gargoyles will I no longer get bell invaders, and if I kill the pharros boss and royal rat vanguard will I no longer get drawn into rat worlds?

Nope. Invasions are all the time, forever.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Requested_Username posted:

The Dragonslayer Greatbow is back and even better than before. I'm having way too much fun with this thing

Am I better off Bonfire Acesticing the third Bonfire in the keep for it, or should I grind for the Alonne Captain bows?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'm feeling kind of lost atm. Any thoughts on where to go next?

Areas I've visited/bosses killed:

Forest of Fallen Giants - Bosses killed: The Last Giant, The Pursuer

The Lost Bastille

No-Man's Wharf

Huntsman's Copse - Bosses killed: Skeleton Lords

Harvest Valley

Earthen Peak - Bosses killed: Covetous Demon

Heide's Tower of Flame - Bosses killed: Old Dragonslayer, Dragonrider

Shaded Woods

I'm currently making my way through Earthen Peak and getting frustrated by those loving headless thief enemies and the occasional hammer fatty. Can you parry the thieves at all? They're swift and cause bleed and it's loving bullshit.

It kinda feels like this game pulls you in several different directions at once, it's kinda frustrating and cool at the same time. I'm tempted to go running around the fogged area of Shaded Woods just to see what's there, but there's also gotta be stuff in No-Man's Wharf I haven't found yet.

There's still one more area after Earthen Peak called Iron Keep, then you'll end up back in Majula. The fogged area of Shaded Woods is probably where you should go after clearing Iron Keep. Hug the left to avoid enemies and find a cool NPC ally. There's also an area called Undead Purgatory that you can access in Huntsman's Copse, with a fairly challenging optional boss and a covenant leader.

Also in Earthen Peak is an NPC who will build a ladder for you in the pit in Majula. This will give you (safe) access to several more areas, including one you need to get to.

Edit: Oh and reading through your list, you missed a few places after Lost Bastille. There's Sinner's Rise, which has a boss in it you need to kill (one of the four old ones) and down the ladder from the bonfire after Ruin Sentinels, use a Pharros lockstone to get into Belfry Luna.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 27, 2014

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what god are you guys using for the Name-Engraved ring?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Gains from stats all have diminishing returns. For most stats, 20 is the point where tier 2 starts, so you'll see less return from 20-40 and then even less from 40-99. Since all the better spells have minimum stat requirements, it's still worth pumping to 40 if you want to be able to cast everything.

That's...not quite true. For most stats 30-40 is about equal from base to 20. And 40-50 is a good increase for weapons with high A/S scaling. Tho that ultimately doesn't matter since scaling is just bad in general; usually best to go minimum stats to wield.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've been getting this error all day today. Yesterday and the day before were fine. Is something up with the servers?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

neetengie posted:

Am I better off Bonfire Acesticing the third Bonfire in the keep for it, or should I grind for the Alonne Captain bows?

Depends on your character. Dragonslayer scales better with strength while alonne scales better with dex

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Requested_Username posted:

Depends on your character. Dragonslayer scales better with strength while alonne scales better with dex

Good answer. IIRC there are no Black Phantoms in that area except for the entrance to the bonfire right?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Whoa, I must not be looking hard enough. From some other people's posts, I thought you had to finish Sinner's Rise to keep going, and that FoFG/Heide's basically both are intended to loop to Bastille, the first real old soul fight unless you do Gutter/Black Gulch before.

Right now I found myself at The Doors of Pharros. But I haven't seen a lot of talk about it so I'm guessing it's just a dead-end zone with some loot in it? (I saw a message in the Shaded Woods that told me to go right so I went left instead.)

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Sober posted:

Whoa, I must not be looking hard enough. From some other people's posts, I thought you had to finish Sinner's Rise to keep going, and that FoFG/Heide's basically both are intended to loop to Bastille, the first real old soul fight unless you do Gutter/Black Gulch before.

Right now I found myself at The Doors of Pharros. But I haven't seen a lot of talk about it so I'm guessing it's just a dead-end zone with some loot in it? (I saw a message in the Shaded Woods that told me to go right so I went left instead.)

Going right leads you to some treasure, but it's path is a bit more dangerous. Doors is a PvP zone with an optional boss

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sober posted:

It isn't. Doors of Pharros leads to Brightstone Cove, which is where another old soul can be found.

If you haven't already, also go into Huntsman's Copse and follow the areas all the way to Iron Keep. There's another there

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Fall Control rules in this. Made it down the pit without taking any damage :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

There's to parts to that area. Back out of the room with the bonfire and up the stairs leads to progress. Through the gaping stone rat mouth leads to an optional PVP area and an optional boss. Don't use your Pharros Lockstones in this area unless you've joined the Rat Covenant.