Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
my friend I have been watching soccer since I was 4 years old and I have never heard of this Ronaldinho character you keep mentioning. I think you probably mean Ronaldo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Paperhouse posted:

my friend I have been watching soccer since I was 4 years old and I have never heard of this Ronaldinho character you keep mentioning. I think you probably mean Ronaldo?

I didn't know Chritstiano Ronaldo was playing for Brazil in 2002, when did he change over to play for portugal?

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Everyone knows it was one of the biggest transfer fees paid in history in 2009 :rolleyes:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'm an extremely new soccer fan as I just started watching last week. I kind of picked Liverpool as 'my team' because they were in the first game I watched. I think I want to go with a different team though. I don't want to be a bandwagoner of Chelsea, Man U, Man City, and Arsenal, but I want a decent team. I wouldn't mind a team with a player that has an 'edge' as I'm a hockey fan. Any teams I should start watching? Thanks!

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 24, 2014

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'm an extremely new soccer fan as I just started watching last week. I kind of picked Liverpool as 'my team' because they were in the first game I watched. I think I want to go with a different team though. I don't want to be a bandwagoner of Chelsea, Man U, Man City, and Arsenal, but I want a decent team. I wouldn't mind a team with a player that has an 'edge' as I'm a hockey fan. Any teams I should start watching? Thanks!

Try the Brisbane Roar. They have a player called Besart Berisha who likes to pick fights during games then continue them in the parking lot after the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_jnDVR3Mc&t=184s

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Byolante posted:

Try the Brisbane Roar. They have a player called Besart Berisha who likes to pick fights during games then continue them in the parking lot after the game.

gently caress your poo poo - come hang out in the A league thread and talk poo poo about Melbourne like the rest of us. Not only is our coach legitimately the dirtiest player in all Chrisendom we bought Berisha so next year he'll be fighting in our carpark.

So do it or I'll swear at you. oval office.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Babby Thatcher posted:

Last season, United was far from leading the Premier League in creating the lion’s share of shots, or shots on target. United ranked eighth of 20 teams in proportion of shots, and seventh in proportion of shots on target, according to Grayson; and seventh and fourth, respectively, according to Benjamin Pugsley, who uses a slightly different set of underlying numbers. (Soccer doesn’t yet have completely standardized stats — or, as, Pugsley puts it, “Football and numbers is really new.”)

How, then, did Manchester United nonetheless lead the league in goal differential? By leading the league in shooting percentage and placing fourth in save percentage. Grayson calls the sum of those two percentages, multiplied by 1,000, PDO (after its hockey name), and he’s shown that it has essentially no value in predicting future results. United led the Premier League in PDO by a big margin last year. It did the same the year before, which at the time prompted Grayson to forecast a United decline — a year too early, as it turned out.

So United’s path to the league title last year was a lucky one; its performance didn’t predict continued success this season. Sure enough, United’s PDO has declined from league-leading to seventh best, and that, combined with less-precipitous declines in share of shots and shots on target, has led to the club outscoring opponents by less than half a goal per game, compared to more than a goal per game last season.

Not only did United convert shots, and prevent shots, at unusually high — and unsustainable — rates last season. The club also won more matches than expected based on its goal differential. United won the league by 11 points over Manchester City last season. It also had 12 more points than expected based on its goals scored and allowed. This year, it’s getting about as many points as expected based on goal differential.

Was Ferguson just lucky last season, or was he able to conjure consistently high levels of shooting accuracy and goalkeeping even after his club’s edge in shots had eroded? On the one hand, his United clubs sustained high levels of PDO during his tenure. On the other hand, there’s some out-of-sample evidence from United’s Champions League performance, this season and last season.

In Ferguson’s last year at the helm, United played eight Champions League games, yielded nine more shots than it took and outscored opponents by two goals. Real Madrid eliminated United in the round of 16. In this season’s Champions League, under Moyes, United allowed 32 more shots than it attempted, yet United still outscored opponents by eight goals, advancing to the quarterfinal stage.

mod's pleas rename me Benjamin Pugsley

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Byolante posted:

The Roar sound like my kind of team.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

irlZaphod posted:

The Roar sound like my kind of team.

Modus Trollens posted:

- A fan who supports Luis Suarez

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
Is Cesc in the world's top 10? I don't think so. But Ozil is.

Ozil attracts muslims, turks, germans and some spaniards towards Arsenal. Cesc doesn't have the same international recognition.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

http://www.buzzfeed.com/djpeisner/the-yid-army-goes-to-war-when-does-chanting-a-soccer-teams-n

quote:

Is Tottenham Hotspur’s nickname an anti-Semitic slur that should get its fans arrested, a misunderstood tradition, or a rousing cry for Jewish pride? Whatever the answer, it has become a flashpoint for discussion of free speech, civility, and the public image of an increasingly lucrative sport.

quote:

literally millions of words on the subject

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Very problematic indeed.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That whole article is amazing; “At first I thought it was like a Nuremberg rally.”

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Guess what side they support

the hotspurts

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Strawman posted:

the hotspurts

I saw this and lolled so much

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Strawman posted:

the hotspurts

Genuinely shocked it's not Arsenal.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Cart Cam posted:

Me too.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Strawman posted:

the hotspurts

lol

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cart Cam posted:

The "we've been better than them for five years" part ruled that out.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

wrong thread?

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Dunban posted:

wrong thread?

I love it OP.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Hey now Billy, nothing wrong with curried goat.

shark-bitch5000
Oct 26, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92DT-SYONsw

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DSzGQVTTRs

Non-French people will probably not understand.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this is so much worse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RebOfSKzYGU

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Oh my gah

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Wow I didnt know *flicks through rolodex of liverpool posters and pulls out a card* chuggo was at the game

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Dunban posted:

wrong thread?

He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drop points, but he keeps on forgettin'
What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud
He opens his legs, but the movement won't come out
He's choking, how? Everybody's joking now
The clock's run out, times up, over, Ba

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

I'm in tears

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Modus Trollens posted:

lmao

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Modus Trollens posted:

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
lol

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Steven Gerald is not only a Liverpool hero because he's been good for Liverpool, but his British nationality makes him more likeable for the Liverpool British supporters....Their plan is clearly to develop more British national team heroes in the mold of Gerald.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

YMCA Gerald

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Thirteenth Step posted:

Steven Gerald is not only a Liverpool hero because he's been good for Liverpool, but his British nationality makes him more likeable for the Liverpool British supporters....Their plan is clearly to develop more British national team heroes in the mold of Gerald.

Steve Gerald, Gerald,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards
He's big and he's fuckin' hard,
Steve Gerald, Gerald

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

So now that promotion and relegation has been defeated in the United States and Canada, it is our manifest destiny to stamp it out abroad. It’s time for fans everywhere to overthrow this outdated, malicious, poisonous relic of Victorian aristocratic arrogance. There have been better models working for decades, and it’s time we liberated the world in the name of freedom and democracy.

Mostly because there are actually no good arguments for promotion and relegation in any professional sport. Anything promotion and relegation would be accomplished better by a system currently in place in the United States.