Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ozzy getting himself voted out to go to Redemption is exactly the kind of play I wanted to see. Can't wait to see how this plays out :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Rarity posted:

Ozzy getting himself voted out to go to Redemption is exactly the kind of play I wanted to see. Can't wait to see how this plays out :munch:

One of the dumbest moves in Survivor history is exactly the kind of play you wanted to see? It was unforgivably stupid.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

BGrifter posted:

One of the dumbest moves in Survivor history is exactly the kind of play you wanted to see? It was unforgivably stupid.

The dumbest moves are the best moments.

Also,
Survivor Auction is the best part of Survivor. In preparation for this season's episode:
70 Minute Survivor Auction Supercut!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO3Uj4X1x0c

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BGrifter posted:

I like it because it has such high risk and either it's a huge move or an incredible gently caress up so either way it will be glorious.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

What I want more than anything out of Survivor is for someone to Keyser Soze themselves into the final (e.g. by deliberately making them self a goat, or by seeming to fly under the radar while actually making key decisions). Like, for them to play a completely fictional character for the entire game complete with their own mannerisms only to reveal themselves at the end. Bonus points if they use a fake name from the beginning and get Jeff to confirm that fact in the final tribal.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rarity posted:

I like it because it has such high risk and either it's a huge move or an incredible gently caress up so either way it will be glorious.

I liked it because post-CI Ozzy was consistently terrible. Post-merge South Pacific also really shows off what a horrible idea redemption island is. I think it disappeared for a good while after that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rarity posted:

Part of why it was so stupid was Ozzy took a huge risk for a laughably small payoff. Ozzy's gameplay is tone deaf on so many levels it's almost painful to watch.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Part of why it was so stupid was Ozzy took a huge risk for a laughably small payoff. Ozzy's gameplay is tone deaf on so many levels it's almost painful to watch.

Yeah, the irony is (post-merge of South Pacific spoilers) Christine would have been a much better ally for Ozzy's alliance than Cochran, so his big move actually worked against him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, his attempt to sell his story was so bad and setting up your outcast to flip is so dumb. Cochran turning on them could be seen coming from a mile off.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rarity posted:

Yeah, his attempt to sell his story was so bad and setting up your outcast to flip is so dumb. Cochran turning on them could be seen coming from a mile off.

I suggest flicking through the clips episode this season, there is some extra footage that really emphasizes how lovely that tribe was to Cochran.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I suggest flicking through the clips episode this season, there is some extra footage that really emphasizes how lovely that tribe was to Cochran.

Can you provide an example or two?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

blue squares posted:

Didn't they call him "a piece of trash" at some point?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

I swear they did a coconut chop as a reward challenge on One World and it went down exactly as you'd expect it to, and it had little influence on the rest of the season.

If anyone with a better memory than me has the details please chime in.
I don't remember a coconut chop but they did a "Which Survivor do you like/hate the most?" that had similar results. Of course it didn't change the game.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What is a coconut chop? Like chopping someone 3 times and they're out?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

blue squares posted:

What is a coconut chop? Like chopping someone 3 times and they're out?
Yes. Stupid alliances will target people in the order they plan to vote instead of working left to right or something boring.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

blue squares posted:

The chicken.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shakugan posted:

What I want more than anything out of Survivor is for someone to Keyser Soze themselves into the final (e.g. by deliberately making them self a goat, or by seeming to fly under the radar while actually making key decisions). Like, for them to play a completely fictional character for the entire game complete with their own mannerisms only to reveal themselves at the end. Bonus points if they use a fake name from the beginning and get Jeff to confirm that fact in the final tribal.
That's pretty much what Phillip did.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

That's pretty much what Phillip did.

Phillip may have put it on a little, but he didn't really act any different at final tribal in any convincing way. I'm talking NASA engineer with an Irish accent pretends to be a country bumpkin level performance, not "I'm a crazy former special agent pretending to be a slightly crazier former special agent".

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Shakugan posted:

Phillip may have put it on a little, but he didn't really act any different at final tribal in any convincing way. I'm talking NASA engineer with an Irish accent pretends to be a country bumpkin level performance, not "I'm a crazy former special agent pretending to be a slightly crazier former special agent".

I always think about how cool this would be, but then I realize that it's not putting on the act for 14 hours that encompasses a season. It's being a different person for 40 days straight every waking moment of the day. In an environment where, essentially, the only thing to do is talk to other people.

And on top of all that, the make believe person that they made up? They have to be a person who could make it to the end.

I would love to see it, but I'm not sure I want to see a serial killer on Survivor.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I feel like Ace was trying to do something like that, with his weird, inconsistent accent.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The problem is everyone at the final tribal would think you were just lying if you were all "I'm no country bumpkin at all, in fact I'm a neurosurgeon!" and bitter jury syndrome would get ratcheted up to a whole new level for no reason.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think that plan would backfire too hard. A person capable of pulling off that level of acting/deception is better off just trying to play the game well as themselves. Maybe lie about some stuff to gain sympathy from the jury, like how Russel had said he was a firefighter during Hurricane Katrina. Though I would go with something less brazen than that. Or avoid telling people you are in a potentially hated profession or you have a lot of money already and don't need the million dollars as much as the other people there.

It would be really cool to see someone pull a full personality switch at a final tribal council but I doubt it will ever happen. Once you have people hating you, especially when they can all talk to each other about how much they don't like you, it is really hard to turn that opinion around.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

spidoman posted:

I always think about how cool this would be, but then I realize that it's not putting on the act for 14 hours that encompasses a season. It's being a different person for 40 days straight every waking moment of the day. In an environment where, essentially, the only thing to do is talk to other people.

And on top of all that, the make believe person that they made up? They have to be a person who could make it to the end.

I would love to see it, but I'm not sure I want to see a serial killer on Survivor.

They put a sociopath on and he won! So why not go one step further?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Now I kind of want celebrity Survivor so I can see Daniel Day-Lewis method act his way through the whole thing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ror posted:

Now I kind of want celebrity Survivor so I can see Daniel Day-Lewis method act his way through the whole thing.

just randomly cast a method actor in a regular season. Someone who's a good actor, but normally does little character pieces, or roles with lots of prosthetics so they aren't easily recognized.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Lord Bude posted:

just randomly cast a method actor in a regular season. Someone who's a good actor, but normally does little character pieces, or roles with lots of prosthetics so they aren't easily recognized.

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeet, you're not going to vote me out. I've got your back."

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Yeah, like one of the Star Trek alien regulars. Jeff Combs maybe.

Probst, when the walls fell.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Yeah, like one of the Star Trek alien regulars. Jeff Combs maybe.

Probst, when the walls fell.

If I ever won the lotto I would personally foot the bill for this season. (I'd also make them film somewhere that isn't another generic tropical island for a change)

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 29, 2014

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ror posted:

Daniel Plainview, Oil Man.

"I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed, I hate most people."

See you on HvV!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Lord Bude posted:

(I'd also make them film somewhere that isn't another generic tropical island for a change)

I think they do this because it gets legit dangerous in a lot of landlocked areas in ways they can't control. Didn't one of the tribes in Tocantins have their entire water supply contaminated or something?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I think they do this because it gets legit dangerous in a lot of landlocked areas in ways they can't control. Didn't one of the tribes in Tocantins have their entire water supply contaminated or something?

Way back in Africa, a bunch of contestants came home with really serious parasites and infections because their only water source was a muddy puddle that elephants kept making GBS threads in. I know Lindsay was secretly rushed to the hospital in the middle of filming but was able to come back to the game, and Lex said he was like peeing blood for two years or something insane like that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why the hell did Upolu vote off Cochran? Guy was an awkward gently caress who had pissed off the entire jury, he was the perfect choice to carry to the final 3

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Because the alternative was voting out their own people multiple times over him, which would have pissed off all those jurors.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

blue squares posted:

Because the alternative was voting out their own people multiple times over him, which would have pissed off all those jurors.

Still less pissed than they woulda been at Cochran

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It would have taken too much work to save Cochran through ~5 eliminations. A lot of feathers would have been Hantzed if they kept him and booted someone low in the alliance.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

Aerox posted:

Way back in Africa, a bunch of contestants came home with really serious parasites and infections because their only water source was a muddy puddle that elephants kept making GBS threads in. I know Lindsay was secretly rushed to the hospital in the middle of filming but was able to come back to the game, and Lex said he was like peeing blood for two years or something insane like that.

Christ, that definitely explains her behavior during the show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It would have taken too much work to save Cochran through ~5 eliminations. A lot of feathers would have been Hantzed if they kept him and booted someone low in the alliance.

In theory it wouldn't be that hard. If the proposed 4-man alliance had formed to save Cochran then that takes you all the way to the final 4. Booting out whoever comes back from Redemption is easy as long as Ozzy doesn't challenge monster all the way to the end and then all you need is one bullshit justification to take Cochran to F3 over one of the other Upolu people.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Septimius posted:

Christ, that definitely explains her behavior during the show.

The actual links are all dead, but the stories have been saved on various boards.

The season was kind of a mess in terms of production -- they severely underestimated how loving dangerous Africa would be and is one of the main reasons they tended to avoid landlocked seasons in the future. http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/survivor-africa-conspiracies.17342841/

It's almost too bad -- the Africa cast on the whole was a really great group, and I think it would have been a very different and a lot more interesting season if they hadn't been so brutalized by the location.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Aerox posted:

It's almost too bad -- the Africa cast on the whole was a really great group, and I think it would have been a very different and a lot more interesting season if they hadn't been so brutalized by the location.

On the flipside Africa's location is one of the best in the history of the show and one of the most different. Part of why I like it and China so much is how different those seasons felt from the usual Samoan beach formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

BGrifter posted:

On the flipside Africa's location is one of the best in the history of the show and one of the most different. Part of why I like it and China so much is how different those seasons felt from the usual Samoan beach formula.

Yeah, I'd definitely love to see more landlocked seasons, just hopefully ones that don't literally kill people.

I'm still bummed that Survivor: Jordan had to be scrapped for S4, because that would have been INCREDIBLE.

• Locked thread