Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Some goon posted before that they swapped cars during some shows. Anybody know if this is true?

It's happened at least once, i can't remember the car but two shots of the underside at different points in the show clearly are not the same vehicle based on rust, undercoating, general condition and colour.

E : Edd China also does some dangerous things and sets a very bad example, like a car on a 2 post lift, let's extract the LCA by hanging a strap off it and jumping on that strap, no way someone could get killed if they tried that at home, no sir.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I once saw a ferrari F430 being thrashed on a twisty scenic road and it made me happy that at least one of them is free :unsmith:

Was light blue, too.

If it's the light blue F430 I know, last I heard it had 80k+ on it with a high number of those being track miles. Most certainly qualifies as not this thread. No, not awesome car stuff. Mechanical failures.

veedubfreak posted:

The best part is, I bet he tried to claim insurance on it.

"I was driving along a dirt road when I hit a bump."

Aurune fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 26, 2014

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular posted:

I like how Google Street View doesn't go under it, because the Street View car is too tall.

Also probably taken on separate days, since the shadow hardness changes on either side.

This is the lowest I could find, not exactly a major thoroughfare from the looks of it, though.

Petersburg, VA

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

NoWake posted:

There had to be a reason the cut for the road couldn't have gone deeper, maybe existing sewer lines or proximity to driveway. Also, the powers that be must have wanted to connect the neighborhoods badly enough that a "nope, can't be done, bridge would be too low" from the county engineer wasn't an acceptable response.

It must have been something in or under the ground, because I know of underpasses with 14-foot clearance in similar cuts to that. Granted the slopes on either side are not kind, but it could fit there with some finesse.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
One of the Corvettes that met its end in the sinkhole, the 2001 Mallett Hammer.

Before:

After:

I'm pretty sure that won't buff out.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Mooecow and kevbarlas might need to join forces to get that one fixed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Send it to Russia, they'll have it looking showroom ready in a month.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

Send it to Russia, they'll have it looking showroom ready in a month.*

*: may contain traces of other vehicles.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

*: may contain traces of other vehicles.

Well it's already a Chevy so take your pick from the parts bin

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
speaking of destroyed Corvettes...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How can somebody be so full of hate to take it out on an innocent car.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

neckbeard posted:

What the hell am I looking at?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like a C5 originally, with a horrible bodykit to make it look like a C2. Failing miserably.

Also, that Mallett was the one that I guess was just donated to the museum right before the sinkhole. I remember a few articles on Jalopnik about how the couple that donated it were making a fuss about "their" car, never mind that it ceased to be theirs as soon as they signed it over.

Hardly any great loss in my opinion. The world has no shortage of tacky tuner Corvettes.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Its like the opposite of AI. Looks like they spliced the c2 into the c5. Not sure about the thought process there. If anything put the c5 drive train into the c2!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Seriously, if you want a C2 that goddamn bad, instead of spending a ton of money to ruin a C5 and make it almost look like a horribly deformed C2... buy a C2.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

TheCoach posted:

Šiauliai, the particular residential area is actually really near Zokniai Airbase where NATO pilots are often stationed, that includes USAF and that could be a way this thing got here, or it could have changed hands 15 times from Portugal all the way trough Germany and Poland and ended up in a local car market here.

Not quite the same area - I'm from Klaipėda, but unsurprisingly we've got the same crap there because of the port :mmmhmm: Makes me wish I took some pictures of the terrible cars I saw last time I visited. Oh, and ten thousand shitheap Ladas.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

kastein posted:

Seriously, if you want a C2 that goddamn bad, instead of spending a ton of money to ruin a C5 and make it almost look like a horribly deformed C2... buy a C2.

The worst part is that for the amount they spent on that turd, they probably could've bought a c2 and put an Art Morrison chassis under it.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

neckbeard posted:

Isn't this C6-based? The top edge of the doors don't look like the rounded edges on the C5.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

C6 is basically just a C5.5 anyway, especially appearance-wise.

Still better than this abomination:

50th anniversary aftermarket special, adapted to "resemble" a 1953 model.

fake edit: Oh hey, look, I found the official registry website! http://www.50thcommemorative.com/

A bit down there's a shot with some actual 53s, it's mindboggling how much overhang the C5 has, especially for a RWD sports car!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

DropShadow posted:

Isn't this C6-based? The top edge of the doors don't look like the rounded edges on the C5.

Yeah, it's a C6 Z06 actually...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, a buddy of mine took that pic at a car show he was at the other day, I did some googling and the people that make those things sell them for well over $100K - http://www.karlchevrolet.com/karlkustomcorvettes.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DropShadow posted:

You're right, it's still got the C6 doorswitch handles. Didn't notice that on my phone, nor the seamline on the roof (C5Zs have a smooth roof, C6Zs are a bolted-in version of the targa)

I just don't get it. At least on air-cooled 911s when people either update or back-date them, the proportions haven't changed enough over the years to make it not work. I think it can even be done with largely factory body parts. But with this... it's not like a C6 is a bad-looking car, and the C2 bodylines don't work around the C6 greenhouse. For that kind of money, couldn't you just as easily take a real C2 and upgrade all of the running gear to C6 spec?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're right, it's still got the C6 doorswitch handles. Didn't notice that on my phone, nor the seamline on the roof (C5Zs have a smooth roof, C6Zs are a bolted-in version of the targa)

I just don't get it. At least on air-cooled 911s when people either update or back-date them, the proportions haven't changed enough over the years to make it not work. I think it can even be done with largely factory body parts. But with this... it's not like a C6 is a bad-looking car, and the C2 bodylines don't work around the C6 greenhouse. For that kind of money, couldn't you just as easily take a real C2 and upgrade all of the running gear to C6 spec?

Stupid question, but this seems like an okay place to ask: On the C6, since the roof is just a bolted in targa essentially, can the roof panel be converted to targa top and have no negative impact on the car, or are the targa versions reinforced at the frame/unibody (I don't know much about Corvettes)?

Obviously I can't afford either to do anything practical with the response.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PCOS Bill posted:

Stupid question, but this seems like an okay place to ask: On the C6, since the roof is just a bolted in targa essentially, can the roof panel be converted to targa top and have no negative impact on the car, or are the targa versions reinforced at the frame/unibody (I don't know much about Corvettes)?

Obviously I can't afford either to do anything practical with the response.

Probably. Hard top fourth-gen Camaros were structurally identical to t-top cars. A bit of work with a sawzall and the associated trim parts were all it took to swap t-tops in. The C5 having a separate structural model in the hardtop was the exception, when it comes to GM.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Not exactly terrible per se, but I just saw a brand new hilux surf edition, rhd, with DOD sticker and Texas plates. In Minnesota. How the gently caress is that thing registered in the us?

I want one.

Actually apparently they don't make these anymore so it was probably a 2009. Guessing the guy brought it back from Japan but no clue as to how he registered it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Not exactly terrible per se, but I just saw a brand new hilux surf edition, rhd, with DOD sticker and Texas plates. In Minnesota. How the gently caress is that thing registered in the us?

I want one.

Pretty sure state department employees and other similar government employees who's typical work assignment is overseas can bring their non-conforming cars back with them when they are on their US rotation providing it's shorter than a year or something.

The government handles the "bonding" (you typically need a bond for this procedure that you only get back if you remove the car by the mandated time) since it's all internal. I know they have to do that same type of bonding for employee vehicles that are brought to duty posts in many other countries.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 27, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Ahh, that makes sense.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Courtesy of Jalopnik, here's a guy who can't drive a Ferrari for poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4HSpx3aBq8

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

neckbeard posted:

Yeah, it's a C6 Z06 actually...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, a buddy of mine took that pic at a car show he was at the other day, I did some googling and the people that make those things sell them for well over $100K - http://www.karlchevrolet.com/karlkustomcorvettes.html

Any chance that dealer lot is located over a sinkhole?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Your average Texas 1 percent-er.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Replace TCI with Jeg's decals and add copious amounts of rust, and that could be ohio.jpg

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Zeether posted:

Jesus, that poor car. I'm amazed no one was hurt. I'm also amazed the race officials didn't toss Kogay out on his ear.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

From what I saw at the factory (we walked the line while they built my dad's C6, and a Z06 was right behind it) it looks like instead of operable latches, it gets hardmounted bolts instead. I didn't see any welding and I doubt there's any glue on that joint either so you could probably just unbolt it if you wanted to.

Now, could you swap latches on instead? No idea. And would it be worse for the car? GM bolted them together to stiffen the overall chassis, and remember that the C6Z's framerails were aluminum instead of the steel rails on the C6. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a bit more weight savings on the frame itself with the expectation that the roof won't be removed from the equation.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Panty Saluter posted:

Jesus, that poor car. I'm amazed no one was hurt. I'm also amazed the race officials didn't toss Kogay out on his ear.
The body language from his crew when he parked it too far away from the fuel hose was hilarious. "Come on, again?"

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Jesus H. gently caress, did they hire this guy out of a Forza lobby?
fake edit: nah it had to be NFS or Midnight Club

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm pretty sure he's rich as gently caress and bought the drive you guys.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zeether posted:

I'm fairly sure that guy can drive about 7.2 times better than I can and if you gave me that car I'd have a poo poo load of fun and bin it quite a bit sooner than he did.

So he's only relatively poo poo :haw:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bape Culture posted:

I'm pretty sure he's rich as gently caress and bought the drive you guys.

oh ok he doesnt have to know how to drive then, n/m

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Cakefool posted:

I'm fairly sure that guy can drive about 7.2 times better than I can and if you gave me that car I'd have a poo poo load of fun and bin it quite a bit sooner than he did.

I think after the 3rd or 4th time any of us would figure out the god damned braking zones for the corners.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how he put it in the gravel so much the car was developing dirt road rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Cakefool posted:

If that's true, you shouldn't be allowed on public roads