Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Ehhhhh well, at least it looks neat. :gbsmith:

The Tomb Stalker seems alright. It's main advantage is it's T7 (so immune to S3 and laughs at S4/S5) and is ultra tough because of all the special rules it can get: IWND, immune to Poison, immune to Fleshbane, and an EXTRA DtW roll 3" aura that passes on a 4+. It's still a prime Plasma/Melta/Missile/Lascannon/Super Pask Death Punisher target though because it is big and has no Invul save. It's CC oriented, getting 4 WS4 S6 AP2 attacks plus Rampage bonus (unless you get into an MC fight or charge a vehicle) and two Bolters but it doesn't have any "special" CC rules; Hit and Run is nice to get that +1A for charging but then you open yourself up to Overwatch every time you do that. It's a cool option but it always sucks when you get greedy for those bonus attacks and then end up taking wounds or getting wiped out because of a super lucky (or unlucky) set of rolls. The Deep Strike rule is kind of useless on the Stalker/Sentinel because it sits on a large flyer base; Good luck deep striking that and not mishapping but at least they both have Outflank (66% chance to arrive on the side of the table you want basically) and the Stalker gets to re-roll Outflank because of Acute Senses.

If I had to choose, I might take the Tomb Sentinel which is 10 points cheaper for all the same rules but drops 2 attacks and Acute Senses/Rampage for a 12" Exile small blast gun that auto-pens any vehicle it hits and bypasses ALL saves. Outflank into your opponent's backfield and go (potentially) mess up some vehicles and then lock up some backfield objective holder. The only draw back is that the Sentinel sits in a Heavy Slot which means giving up a potential Annihilation Barge/Tesseract Ark/Sentry Pylon Battery.

PeterWeller posted:

Oh poo poo. My bad. I read that as triarch stalker.

I was super confused for a second!

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

JerryLee posted:

I agree that the picture is poor (though I'm not one to talk) but those models don't look to me like they suffer from much lack of shading, I see plenty of details I wouldn't expect to look as good if there were just solid blocks of color.

Take better pictures for us? :)

It's not that much extra work to paint eyes but I agree that especially at GW scale or for line infantry it can be a good option to just shade them as dark recesses and call it a day.

This is probably as good as it's gonna get with my cell camera. The one on the right is the first one I painted all by it's lonesome to see how the colors looked. It's a custom model, too 'cuz I'm creatively impetuous like that. :jerkbag:

fukhueg: http://imgur.com/lybJ75q.jpg

Figured I'd throw another in here:

another fukhueg http://i.imgur.com/ynCa6aq.jpg

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 27, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Well, okay, yeah, that's not the neatest paint job but it doesn't seem to be because you don't know what washes and highlights are. I agree that you could probably add more edge highlighting, specifically on the bolter, or at least paint stuff like that a lighter shade when you know you're going to be washing it down.

Also one way to make pictures look better with virtually zero extra effort is to use a sheet of white printer paper as a setting and backdrop (bend it up behind the models) and then spend like 10 extra seconds white balancing it in GIMP.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

AndyElusive posted:

So in light of things that have come out for the Necrons since its release, can someone inform me on if the Tomb Stalker is worth picking up at all? I might be able to snag one slightly cheaper than if I grabbed it off FW.

And if anyone knows, how much of a pain is it to put together? That might ultimately be the one thing that makes me really try for it or not.

I have one although I've only used it a couple times, it's super tough and gets like 7 attacks on the charge. I think it's pretty good.

It's easy to put together in that it's very posable and there aren't any tricky parts but it is a LOT of pieces. Like a dozen sections for the body, two legs for each section that are two pieces each, two mini leg things on the underside of each section, couple of butt scythes, antennae, and the front mandibles and gun-pincers. It's really simple there's just a lot of it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Christ I hate the terms 'bolter bitches' and 'space sluts'. Way to alienate women from the hobby even more than they already are.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I can't believe no one told him to get the gently caress out as he was dropping those but he seems pretty terrible anyway, I'm sure it won't be long.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

The 2E rules had summoning points you acquired by various actions and spent to summon lesser and greater demons. The latter also required that you sacrifice a champion.

That is cool as all get out. Chaos Marines really should have a mechanic like that, getting a die roll to poo poo out daemons after doing a certain amount of heinous things.

I would immediately renounce my vows to Malal and start an army that worships Crom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBMY3VV5AMA&t=72s

Was playing HAWKEN last night and someone rehearsed the entire prayer. I concurred and hailed Zardoz, was greeted with chants of, "The gun is good! The penis is evil!" Best night of my life.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Post 9-11 User posted:

That is cool as all get out. Chaos Marines really should have a mechanic like that, getting a die roll to poo poo out daemons after doing a certain amount of heinous things.

Like many things 2E, it was cooler in concept than execution. You generated different points for different gods and spent them at different rates. Even with the cost differences, some gods were a lot easier to generate points for. Khorne and Nurgle had it best. Khorne got points for inflicting CC hits, easy enough to do from turn 2 onwards using Zerks. Nurgle got points for inflicting wounds. Tzeentch and Slaanesh, on the other hand, got points for casting spells and failed enemy psychology checks (morale, fear, etc.).

I wish there was more cool interaction between CSM and allied Demons like that. Hopefully as the allies system evolves over the next few editions, we'll see that sort of stuff.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PeterWeller posted:

I wish there was more cool interaction between CSM and allied Demons like that. Hopefully as the allies system evolves over the next few editions, we'll see that sort of stuff.

An excellent start would have been to just not put random things in the Daemon codex that broke their interaction as proper Battle Brothers.

GW literally went to extra effort (no matter how small) to prevent CSM from being able to do cool poo poo with their demon buddies.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
My babies are (pretty much) done. Nothing is ever really done, though...

I decided I'm going to buy a new Treeman and box of Dryads to make daemonic jungle trees. I'll also have a Warpwood Psyker I can play to control them and add 500pts of daemonic allies to my Catachan. I have an overgrown jungle Webway Portal terrain piece, so fluff is that the warp influence is leaking through the damaged portal. This is pretty much just an excuse for patches of jungle to randomly come to life and spice games up.

Could anybody help make a solid 450pt Daemons of Chaos list, with at least two monstrous creatures? Anything else goes. The more fun wacky stuff, the better. Plan is to usually have them scatter far off the center of the board and move towards/shoot/assault the nearest unit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JerryLee posted:

An excellent start would have been to just not put random things in the Daemon codex that broke their interaction as proper Battle Brothers.

GW literally went to extra effort (no matter how small) to prevent CSM from being able to do cool poo poo with their demon buddies.

Stuff like CSM squads being led by heralds could have been amazing.

GW says :getout:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

BuffaloChicken posted:

I decided I'm going to buy a new Treeman and box of Dryads to make daemonic jungle trees. I'll also have a Warpwood Psyker I can play to control them and add 500pts of daemonic allies to my Catachan. I have an overgrown jungle Webway Portal terrain piece, so fluff is that the warp influence is leaking through the damaged portal. This is pretty much just an excuse for patches of jungle to randomly come to life and spice games up.

Could anybody help make a solid 450pt Daemons of Chaos list, with at least two monstrous creatures? Anything else goes. The more fun wacky stuff, the better. Plan is to usually have them scatter far off the center of the board and move towards/shoot/assault the nearest unit.

Allied Chaos Daemons 2 MCs in 500 points is definitely possible but it's going to be VERY barebones. You're going to be looking at a Greater Daemon (probably GUO or KoS), a Daemon Prince in Heavy, and 1 Troop choice for sure. At minimum that's 415 points (I'm not considering Nurglings in this situation). You have a lot of potential options depending on what god(s) you want to focus on though so gimme some more specifics as to what you want.

At 500 points you're probably better off dropping the MCs (at least one of them) or taking a Herald, a Troop, and a solid Fast Attack, Elite and Heavy (Soul Grinder).

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 27, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BuffaloChicken posted:

As allies? Any preference for god or?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks for the insight into the Tomb Stalker, guys. I appreciate it. It's always good to know the strengths and weaknesses of a model even if I never field it, especially after buying it and feeling a little remorse because I should be saving up to pay off things like debt and bills.

This hobby.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hollismason posted:

I've asked elsewhere but maybe goons could help, what's the most efficient 1000 points to spend on just Troops and 1 CCS for AM? I've been playing them on vassal and I think I suck at making any list that isn't FUCKLOAD tanks.

Hrm. Assuming you mean as a primary detachment, that is actually a little tricky- a CCS on its own is pretty fragile, and pure infantry models lack many of the heavy weapons options that IG normally benefit from. I think you could do it, though. Something like:

CCS (Lascannon, Vox, Medic, Camo)
Primaris Psyker
Ministorum Priest
Infantry Platoon
-PCS (Mortar)
-Infantry Squad (Lascannon, Grenade)
-Infantry Squad (Autocannon, Sniper)
Infantry Platoon
-PCS (Mortar)
-Infantry Squad (Flamer, Power Axe, Meltabombs)
Aegis Line

It's not amazing, it's really static, and some lists will just carve it apart, but "not using any tanks" is actually a really harsh limitation for a Guard list. It's got a fuckload of scoring units, though, and the blob will chew up most things you'd see in a 1000pt army.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thanks guys - ever since I was a kid, I thought the dinosaur name Carnotaurus ('meat bull' in Latin) was the most badass of dinosaur names.
A badass name for a badass animal.

Reynold posted:

Finished a 1500 point game with my Steel Legion + Knight Errant vs. my friend's Eldar. I took Commissar Yarrick in a 30 man blob with grenades and grenade launchers. They pretty much did nothing the whole game but run at his DZ, and on the last turn killed 6 or so guardians with FRFSRF. I won the game thanks to my knight and a few tanks, but my guardymans and veterans did nothing for me.

HOW DO I INFANTRY BLOBS?

30 guys is a bit on the slim side for 1500, but not cripplingly so. Not sure how you were doing it, but a blob should be managing to get into the enemy deployment zone by turn 4 at the latest, at which point you can assault their objective-holders and/or support units. A big part of this will be deployment- if you put them in the wrong place, they may never get to do anything. Were you moving + shooting each turn, or Running? Doing the latter will potentially double your speed with the Move, Move, Move! order, which is a pretty big deal; Forward, For the Emperor! will also shorten the clock a lot.

A mobile list with Eldar or the like can certainly avoid your mans so they feel like they're not doing anything, but being able to block off a whole portion of the board and say "you can't go here" is a really big deal and can easily win you the game.

BuffaloChicken posted:

450pts for two MCs actually leaves you very, very few points for much of anything else. Hrmmm. It's doable, I suppose, more so if you're willing to accept one of them as being a Soulgrinder rather than a Daemon Prince.

Keeper of Secrets (ML2)
10 Daemonettes
Daemon Prince (Slaanesh, Flight, Armor, Greater Reward)

That's 515, and is just about the lowest I think you'd want to go. Greater Reward on the Prince would normally be used to get the Lash of Despair (2d6 Str 6 shots), unless you rolled a really good result on the table; the Keeper typically will want to roll on Telepathy because there's some really strong stuff in there- Mental Fortitude is amazing, since casting it on someone will break Gone to Ground status (which daemons are allowed to do if they want, as they are normally not Fearless.)

I'm not really happy with that, as ~500pts really isn't enough for two Daemonic MCs, but it's about as close as I could come up with. A better way to do it would be to take a Soulgrinder in the HS slot (freeing up a few points) and/or go with a Herald of Slaanesh in the HQ slot along with a larger blob of Daemonettes.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BuffaloChicken, this owns so loving hard man. Looks awesome!

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Pacheeco posted:

Allied Chaos Daemons 2 MCs in 450 points is definitely possible. You're going to be looking at a Greater Daemon (probably GUO or KoS), a Daemon Prince in Heavy, and 1 Troop choice for sure. At minimum that's 415 points (I'm not considering Nurglings in this situation). You have a lot of potential options depending on what god(s) you want to focus on though so gimme some more specifics as to what you want.

I'd guess Nurgle would be the best match for the big treemen (who look way bigger than most daemon MCs, by the way), since I doubt they're going to have wings and so will be footslogging. To get 2 MCs in an allied detachment it has to be a greater daemon HQ who unlocks daemon princes as heavy support, so my advice would be to make a slightly burlier looking treeman into a great unclean one and a slightly more stripped-down one into a daemon prince (to account for the stat differences). Give them greater rewards and some biomancy powers to hopefully help with durability. They'll be pretty slow, but the idea is you wander them into the midfield and make some nasty, hard to kill threat bubbles.

The dryad troops you could probably run as whichever flavor you like, though they won't score for you. Plaguebearers would be the fluffier choice and can be a pain to dislodge from somewhere inconvenient even at min size. Horrors are pretty fun (you'd want 11 or more), and bloodletters/daemonettes could also work though you'd probably need a max squad of 20 of them to get anything done.

Great Unclean One (psyker level 1) + greater reward
Nurgle Daemon Prince + psyker level 1 + greater reward
10 Plaguebearers

505 points. Could probably use some more mastery levels and another greater gift each on the MCs if you have the points.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 27, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

osirisisdead posted:

this isn't a worthless post like yours.

osirisisdead posted:

photographic evidence

osirisisdead posted:

I've heard your same argument dozens of times and it's invalid

osirisisdead posted:

Do you happen to own stock in GW/Citadel?

osirisisdead posted:

I'm creatively impetuous like that. :jerkbag:

osirisisdead posted:

my Bolter Bitches

Raus.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Thanks everyone who dropped in some Daemons input.

Pacheeco posted:

You're going to be looking at a Greater Daemon (probably GUO or KoS), a Daemon Prince in Heavy, and 1 Troop choice for sure.
Yeah, just looked through the Daemons Codex and made the list below. May not be competitive, but for my purposes it's actually perfect. I think Nurgle best represents living jungle trees (slow, durable, poisonous, hard to see in a forest) so I went with them. The following list is as simple and bare-bones as is possible, but it gives me exactly what I want at exactly 500pts.

- Primaris Psyker (crazy forest hobo, lots of glowing green bits, converted from Fantasy flagellant)
- Great Unclean One (probably this with Fantasy Treeman bits, or just a fat tree)
- Daemon Prince of Nurgle, one Lesser Gift (Fantasy Treeman)
- Plaguebearers x10 (Fantasy Dryads)

Pretty much allows me to tack a crazy tree-controlling psyker onto any existing IG list (all my allied lists are exactly 500pts, so I can easily add them to a variety of other existing lists).

In games where they're not allies, with the opponent's permission we'll just deep strike them in and have them attack the nearest unit. When they die, they go back into reserves.

Damage8185
Mar 29, 2010
So I thought up this list yesterday while conversing with my buddy at my local GW store.

Company Command Squad [60]

Platoon Command Squad
• Infantry Squad [50]
• Infantry Squad [50]

Platoon Command Squad
• Infantry Squad [50]
• Infantry Squad
• Taurox
• Taurox

1 Valkyrie w/lascannon
1 Valkyrie

Deathstrike
Deathstrike
3 Wyverns

Librarian
• Command Squad
+ 4× plasma gun
+ Apothecary
• Drop Pod

5 Sternguard Veterans
+ 5× combi-melta
• Drop Pod

5 Tactical Marines
meltagun
• Drop Pod

5 Tactical Marines
+ meltagun
• Drop Pod

5 Assault Marines
+ 2× flamer
• Drop Pod

2,000 points

The list forces your opponent to really think about his deployment options. Does he clump up to negate your 5 drop pods? Or does he spread out to keep the Wyverns and Deathstrikes from destroying his entire army? It's not the most optimized list, but I'm sure it would definitely throw someone off the first time they played it.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thanks everyone who dropped in some Daemons input.

Yeah, just looked through the Daemons Codex and made the list below. May not be competitive, but for my purposes it's actually perfect. I think Nurgle best represents living jungle trees (slow, durable, poisonous, hard to see in a forest) so I went with them. The following list is as simple and bare-bones as is possible, but it gives me exactly what I want at exactly 500pts.

- Primaris Psyker (crazy forest hobo, lots of glowing green bits, converted from Fantasy flagellant)
- Great Unclean One (probably this with Fantasy Treeman bits, or just a fat tree)
- Daemon Prince of Nurgle, one Lesser Gift (Fantasy Treeman)
- Plaguebearers x10 (Fantasy Dryads)

Pretty much allows me to tack a crazy tree-controlling psyker onto any existing IG list (all my allied lists are exactly 500pts, so I can easily add them to a variety of other existing lists).

In games where they're not allies, with the opponent's permission we'll just deep strike them in and have them attack the nearest unit. When they die, they go back into reserves.

I feel I should mention again that the new treeman looks to be around twice as tall as both the stock GUO/prince models and also the hordes golem fella as your GUO proxy. Makes more sense to me to have the GUO be the tallass one (cuz stats and HQ status), but don't let me rain on your evil tree parade.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

AbusePuppy posted:

Hrm. Assuming you mean as a primary detachment, that is actually a little tricky- a CCS on its own is pretty fragile, and pure infantry models lack many of the heavy weapons options that IG normally benefit from. I think you could do it, though. Something like:

CCS (Lascannon, Vox, Medic, Camo)
Primaris Psyker
Ministorum Priest
Infantry Platoon
-PCS (Mortar)
Infantry Platoon
-PCS (Mortar)
Aegis Line

It's not amazing, it's really static, and some lists will just carve it apart, but "not using any tanks" is actually a really harsh limitation for a Guard list. It's got a fuckload of scoring units, though, and the blob will chew up most things you'd see in a 1000pt army.

A badass name for a badass animal.

30 guys is a bit on the slim side for 1500, but not cripplingly so. Not sure how you were doing it, but a blob should be managing to get into the enemy deployment zone by turn 4 at the latest, at which point you can assault their objective-holders and/or support units. A big part of this will be deployment- if you put them in the wrong place, they may never get to do anything. Were you moving + shooting each turn, or Running? Doing the latter will potentially double your speed with the Move, Move, Move! order, which is a pretty big deal; Forward, For the Emperor! will also shorten the clock a lot.

A mobile list with Eldar or the like can certainly avoid your mans so they feel like they're not doing anything, but being able to block off a whole portion of the board and say "you can't go here" is a really big deal and can easily win you the game.

450pts for two MCs actually leaves you very, very few points for much of anything else. Hrmmm. It's doable, I suppose, more so if you're willing to accept one of them as being a Soulgrinder rather than a Daemon Prince.

Keeper of Secrets (ML2)
10 Daemonettes
Daemon Prince (Slaanesh, Flight, Armor, Greater Reward)

That's 515, and is just about the lowest I think you'd want to go. Greater Reward on the Prince would normally be used to get the Lash of Despair (2d6 Str 6 shots), unless you rolled a really good result on the table; the Keeper typically will want to roll on Telepathy because there's some really strong stuff in there- Mental Fortitude is amazing, since casting it on someone will break Gone to Ground status (which daemons are allowed to do if they want, as they are normally not Fearless.)

I'm not really happy with that, as ~500pts really isn't enough for two Daemonic MCs, but it's about as close as I could come up with. A better way to do it would be to take a Soulgrinder in the HS slot (freeing up a few points) and/or go with a Herald of Slaanesh in the HQ slot along with a larger blob of Daemonettes.

Here's a question-why do so many lists integrate Autocannons and Lascannons into squads instead of having them as separate HWTs? I pretty much always run with a Lascannon team and an Autocannon team, and I've found that they've gotten even better with the addition of a Primaris Psyker to cast Prescience and a CCS to order Fire on My Target to get 3 TL Lascannons that ignore cover. Placing them in normal infantry squads just seems wasteful, particularly since they have to snap-fire if they move, but it seems like that's the way that everyone runs their IG lists. Is there something I'm not getting?

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Watching you make progress on this has been inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
HWS are a -lot- better now with new orders/psyker powers yeah. I made mention of it earlier, though I had actually meant Fire on My Target instead of Take Aim when talking about broken orders. :v:

I played a bunch of 5th edition guard games, and came to the conclusion as others that HWS were a bit overcosted for how easily they can be broken, only ld7 for accepting orders, plus one team being wiped out can force a morale check. So a blob squad focused on AT can be pretty good for keeping the lascannons alive.

Having ignore cover on them is just stupidly good though, makes them a gigantic threat to any vehicle you want.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Here's a question-why do so many lists integrate Autocannons and Lascannons into squads instead of having them as separate HWTs? I pretty much always run with a Lascannon team and an Autocannon team, and I've found that they've gotten even better with the addition of a Primaris Psyker to cast Prescience and a CCS to order Fire on My Target to get 3 TL Lascannons that ignore cover. Placing them in normal infantry squads just seems wasteful, particularly since they have to snap-fire if they move, but it seems like that's the way that everyone runs their IG lists. Is there something I'm not getting?

Heavy Weapons Teams are supremely bad with the amount of S6+ shooting out there, they're Ld7 meaning they'll fail orders a significant amount of time, and they're pretty spendy for what amounts to 6 guardsmen. Putting them in infantry squads gives then a shitload of wounds, doesn't force you to cast powers/issue orders on a separate unit, and lets the blob have something to do while it's outside weapons range.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Quoting to say I absolutely adore this, and I think it's also a huge, huge improvement over the stock Wraithknight. It's much much nicer than the GW design, and echoes the old Eldar Epic Knights perfectly.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

BuffaloChicken posted:

I love what you've done with both these guys. Revenant is a much better Wraithlord and is what GW should have produced in the first place.

Tree Demons sound neat, I look forward to seeing how they turn out!

I agree with making the DP smaller than the GUO, possibly convert up an old classic Treeman with spare branches etc. from the new one? I reckon you could make one of these guys look good:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Someone slip this treeman some bark! Don't leaf him hanging.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BuffaloChicken posted:

This right here? Proper Wraithknight. drat fine work. This is so much better than the GW version.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Stuff like CSM squads being led by heralds could have been amazing.

GW says :getout:

Gotta keep all the allies rules fuckery among the loyalists you see

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Appreciate the Wraithknight love and tree daemon comments. I would love one of the old metal Treemen, but I'm always looking for cheap options. :unsmith:

Monoliths posted:

I feel I should mention again that the new treeman looks to be around twice as tall as both the stock GUO/prince models and also the hordes golem fella as your GUO proxy. Makes more sense to me to have the GUO be the tallass one (cuz stats and HQ status), but don't let me rain on your evil tree parade.
Yeah, I'm gonna both shrink the Treeman and enlarge the Hordes model (if I even wind up using it). I'm really looking forward to playing around with the Treeman kit.

I'm getting real close to finally finishing my counts-as 'Codex' for my models. The way I got here went something like this:

- It would be fun to make a whole bunch of counts-as armies using the allies rules, to introduce new units to my existing armies!
- It really sucks having to reference multiple Codexes every game (especially when they're pdfs and you have to scroll all over to find rules).
- I should just write down the pertinent units/rules on one document.
- I'll include photos too, for opponents.
- Maybe fill in some of the blank spots with a bit of fluff.
- Could be neat to add a bit more fluff and make it a proper book.

Next thing you know, millions of hours are gone forever. This is a sample of what it looks like.

I already shared an earlier draft with the 3-4 people who asked, but if anyone wants a pdf copy I'd be happy to have a proof-reader. It's got lots of neat pictures and fluffy bits, if that's your thing. I tried to tie all my crazy models together into one cohesive narrative.

Email me at p.h.dolan at gmail if you want to take a look at it. It's gonna be like 45 pages or something when it's done. :gonk:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Post 9-11 User posted:

Was playing HAWKEN last night and someone rehearsed the entire prayer. I concurred and hailed Zardoz, was greeted with chants of, "The gun is good! The penis is evil!" Best night of my life.
Thanks for reminding me of when Mechwarrior Online was good fun. :smith:

BuffaloChicken posted:

It's gonna be like 45 pages or something when it's done. :gonk:
I admire your dedication. :stare:
Seriously, you do some amazing work. Keep it up.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 28, 2014

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

This right here? Proper Wraithknight. drat fine work. This is so much better than the GW version.

Gotta keep all the allies rules fuckery among the loyalists you see

See, a Tau battlesuit commander leading a squad of Black Templar assault terminators or an Ultramarine Centurion unit happens all the time. A Khorne Lord charging on top of a Juggernaut along with a her of bloodcrushers? Now that's ludicrous!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Panascope touched on some of the reasons, but basically it comes down to a matter of survivability. By burying your heavy weapons inside Infantry Squads (or other units), you are essentially buying them eight ablative wounds to keep them alive and functioning. Heavy Weapons Squads not only have a bad Leadership value (which makes Orders and Morale major concerns), they are also incredibly vulnerable to being shot at- most armies should easily be able to kill any HWS you field on the first turn, depriving you of a lot of firepower. On top of that, they aren't even any cheaper than adding heavy weapons to your other units- in fact, they're more expensive. (A Mortar team, for example, is 20pts as part of a HWS, but in Infantry or Platoon Command Squads it is only 15pts.)

Firepower is important, but if your firepower is dead it can't do its job, and Heavy Weapons Squads lack any meaningful survivability. The only time I would ever use them would be in Apocalypse/Escalation with one of the superheavy tanks with fire points, like the Stormlord- getting to shoot 10-20 heavy weapons out the top is a pretty hilarious way to go, even if it's still probably not "good."

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The wolve's penile sheath?

So I just got done playing against a 2000 point all infantry ork army with my tyranids. I think we made it to the end of turn three before I had to call it. Even with 3 biovores, 1 Barbed Strangler warrior, an exocrine, and a bunch of flying monsters (crones + 1 tyrant with devourers) it felt like an uphill battle. I think I would have had it in the end since I had the relic and he only had two half sized squads that could have reached the objective in time. Pretty fun, though not something I would want to fight every week!
First shot of the shokk attack gun? Double ones. At least I got slay the warlord!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 28, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
He's probably german, I'd imagine.

not because germans love wolf dicks but because that's like a german word.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Christ I hate the terms 'bolter bitches' and 'space sluts'. Way to alienate women from the hobby even more than they already are.
Duh, everyone knows the proper term is "bolterian nuns".

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I painted up a Crimson Hunter for an upcoming tourney. Expect lots more pics soon of more tanks (so many tanks), as I have a ton to paint by then, but lots of Game of Thrones and House of Cards to catch up on, so win/win?

The white glue on the base is still drying a bit, but I couldn't wait to take pics :v:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pierzak posted:

Duh, everyone knows the proper term is "bolterian nuns".

What? Them bitches even wear Inquisitorial bling, homie. They're the Emp's Ho's, yo, the Missus of the Ministorum!

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 28, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Takkaryx posted:

I painted up a Crimson Hunter for an upcoming tourney. Expect lots more pics soon of more tanks (so many tanks), as I have a ton to paint by then, but lots of Game of Thrones and House of Cards to catch up on, so win/win?

The white glue on the base is still drying a bit, but I couldn't wait to take pics :v:

I'm gonna need some details on the painting process on this baller rear end jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

osirisisdead posted:

What? Them bitches even wear Inquisitorial bling, homie. They're the Emp's Ho's, yo, the Missus of the Ministorum!

You are not a good poster.

vvvv Pointing out that's not actually a post yet factually true is not worth making a new post about vvv

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 28, 2014

• Locked thread