Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No, I mean the line's right there. You can see what the future holds, but it's still a funny movie. I know because Pauline Kael loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The line where they go from good to bad is History Of The World, Pt. I

I kind of like To Be or Not To Be, but yeah.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked Dracula dead and loving it! Nielsen's awesome in that movie.

Renfield, you rear end in a top hat.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yo all y'all making GBS threads on Robin Hood: Men In Tights are dead to me.

Also Dracula: Dead and Loving It is indeed mostly really bad but as cheap a gag as it is I do like the staking scene.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I would have gone to bat for Men In Tights any day of the week before I revisited it a couple of years ago. It's very not good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I would have gone to bat for Men In Tights any day of the week before I revisited it a couple of years ago. It's very not good.

I revisited it a couple weeks ago and I'm in strong disagree mode.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I revisited it a couple weeks ago and I'm in strong disagree mode.

I still like the poster though.

Apparently there's a DVD reissue with a new cover?

ROBIN HOOD MOVIE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh goddamn it. Men in Tights is funny. It's the only time Cary Elwes has ever been tolerable.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I really liked Cary Elwes as a kid and it was only way later that I found out people apparently can't stand him?

I guess that was the strength of Men In Tights.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yo all y'all making GBS threads on Robin Hood: Men In Tights are dead to me.

Also Dracula: Dead and Loving It is indeed mostly really bad but as cheap a gag as it is I do like the staking scene.

Renfield drawing a smiley face into the pile of Dracula's ash is a good gag. I mostly remember watching it as a ten-year-old and feeling funny things.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

morestuff posted:

Renfield drawing a smiley face into the pile of Dracula's ash is a good gag. I mostly remember watching it as a ten-year-old and feeling funny things.

My god... What are you doing to the furniture!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Oh goddamn it. Men in Tights is funny. It's the only time Cary Elwes has ever been tolerable.

He was pretty funny in Psych too, but I suppose the whole point of that show is to just goof around and not be serious.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

And Dracula: Dead And Loving It. That movie fucks the dog, there isn't a single funny thing about it.

How wrong you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZC_F7u7Ydc

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWpqyT4Qib4

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've never been a big Princess Bride guy.

Yeah, you have to be in the mood for this kinda stuff. Straight Catskills comedy. These are like popsicle stick jokes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Elwes is great in Men In Tights but on my recent rewatch I was struck by how much the guy who plays the Sheriff of Rottingham steals the movie.

I then IMDB'd him to see if I knew him from anything else and weirdly enough the only other credit of his I know is The Prestige.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's a fantastic fake Alan Rickman.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Elwes is great in Men In Tights but on my recent rewatch I was struck by how much the guy who plays the Sheriff of Rottingham steals the movie.

I then IMDB'd him to see if I knew him from anything else and weirdly enough the only other credit of his I know is The Prestige.

He had an incredible recurring role as drunkard english diplomat Lord John Marbury on The West Wing. He is real good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Looks like they took the photo of Elwes for the poster, then some designer decided they needed some airbrushed arrowheads on there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No no, THIS is the best thing in the whole movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWzzX4lLPnU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Elwes's best role is the texan fighter pilot from porco rosso

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Apparently there's a DVD reissue with a new cover?

ROBIN HOOD MOVIE

They gave it the Epic/ Date/ Disaster Movie font.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shedule?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Don't forget this.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
No love for Elwes in the Pentagon Wars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f2XbOY9kcg

Full movie here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F8zVyv3t1U

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I was looking for Leslie Nielsen posters (he was in a lot of poo poo) and stumbled upon this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goFKNx1DkSA

Starring Leslie Nielsen and Peter Mark Agent for H.A.R.M. Richman?

I know what I'm watching tonight.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Slasherfan posted:

They gave it the Epic/ Date/ Disaster Movie font.

:thejoke:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Richard Rees. It's kind of funny since he's parodizing Alan Rickman, who also completely steals Prince of Thieves.

Over that boy hand!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

davidspackage posted:

Richard Rees. It's kind of funny since he's parodizing Alan Rickman, who also completely steals Prince of Thieves.

Over that boy hand!

Hell yeah.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I remember Wrongfully Accused being a pretty excellent 90's Leslie Nielsen movie (mostly a fugitive parody with some other stuff thrown in), but I don't know if it's held up over time. There was a good gag with the train escape at the beginning where the train comes off the tracks and starts chasing him through the forest, culminating with him thinking he's safe before the train jumps out from behind a tree.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You sir, are the peepee head!

Maybe that movie is terrible, but it's also wonderful. I love the scene where he shuts off the computer in the Mission Impossible sequence, and the computer blurts out "SHALOM". poo poo cracks me up every time.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I really liked Cary Elwes as a kid and it was only way later that I found out people apparently can't stand him?

I didn't know Cary Elwes was notoriously terrible. Then again, I don't really think I've seen him in much at all, seeing as I haven't watched The Princess Bride/Men in Tights/Saw/Whatever else he was in.
He was pretty decent in Another Country, but to be honest, the best reason to watch that film is for BABY COLIN FIRTH, in his role as "the one guy in the boarding school Rupert Everett hasn't slept with."

Although now maybe Cary Elwes is only going to be known for his disturbing role in The Oogieloves.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Infamous Sphere posted:

I didn't know Cary Elwes was notoriously terrible. Then again, I don't really think I've seen him in much at all, seeing as I haven't watched The Princess Bride/Men in Tights/Saw/Whatever else he was in.
He was pretty decent in Another Country, but to be honest, the best reason to watch that film is for BABY COLIN FIRTH, in his role as "the one guy in the boarding school Rupert Everett hasn't slept with."

Although now maybe Cary Elwes is only going to be known for his disturbing role in The Oogieloves.

He also hammed it up as a the villain in Ella Enchanted.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The line where they go from good to bad is History Of The World, Pt. I
Was Spaceballs after History of the World Pt 1?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

effectual posted:

He also hammed it up as a the villain in Ella Enchanted.

He was also the villain in Twister, if you don't count the tornado as the villain (which you probably should).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

achillesforever6 posted:

After.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

That's probably why it hasn't aged well.

Also, that's the only Mel Brooks movie I've actually seen, so I've been kinda lost the last couple pages.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, that's the only Mel Brooks movie I've actually seen

You're going to have a lot of angry people posting any second now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
What the heck then :mad:

I mean maybe its just me, but I still find it hilarious and think a lot of the gags/jokes still work
This being my personal favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHGSXmOMqE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

achillesforever6 posted:

What the heck then :mad:

I mean maybe its just me, but I still find it hilarious and think a lot of the gags/jokes still work
This being my personal favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHGSXmOMqE

Same, though it might just be my love of Rick Moranis and John Candy.