Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sober posted:

Haha, I feel like an idiot, didn't know you could loop around Bastille on its own until I watched my brother and realized I forgot to check back at a certain point. I thought you had to go through No Man's Wharf to get to the gate control by the McDuff bonfire to finish the loop.

I must've missed the same spot because for the life of me I couldn't find a way around. Can you be more specific?

In other news, if anyone is having trouble with the Belfry Gargoyles: get the drangleic shield, and hold it in front of your face. Gargoyles will hate you for using this one weird tip from a mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

I must've missed the same spot because for the life of me I couldn't find a way around. Can you be more specific?

In other news, if anyone is having trouble with the Belfry Gargoyles: get the drangleic shield, and hold it in front of your face. Gargoyles will hate you for using this one weird tip from a mom.

The B button works just as well :frogc00l:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This game has been out four days. I've played 20 hours. Send help.

What are you other mages doing for weapons by the way? Where are you deciding to settle your str/dex at? Instead of whining that I can't find any in my meager limit maybe I should just buff up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RBA Starblade posted:

What are you other mages doing for weapons by the way? Where are you deciding to settle your str/dex at? Instead of whining that I can't find any in my meager limit maybe I should just buff up.

Only 20? I'm at 35.

Also, left hand magic, right hand short sword for me as a mage.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

Chime in one hand, staff in the other. Only time I've used a weapon since getting my chime was to break statues in the Gutter/Gulch

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

I got my STR to 20 and DEX to 18. I've been using an upgraded falchion I grabbed off a skeleton in Harvest Valley. I like all the cool combos/moves you can pull out of it. :v:

As for my magic weapons, I'm using a Black Witch's Staff for sorcery/miracles since it's a staff that also acts as a chime, and Caitha's Chime infused with dark for hexes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow, gently caress the Armoured Spider boss fight so much. I don't know if I missed a gimmick or what but that fight was horrible and took FOREVER to beat.

Its not that the boss itself was hard, its just that I did like no damage to it. If I was even slightly injured it could instakill me, so I had to keep wasting crystals every time a spider bit my toe. So I'm running around in that huge chamber for like 10 minutes slowly whittling the boss down and burning through far too many resources in the process. I was able to deal with all the enemies in the area just fine so I don't feel like I was underequipped. That boss just has far too much health.

Seriously I got 15k souls from that boss fight just from the amount of the little guys I killed over my 3 botched attempts, because each one took ages only to gently caress up because the fight went on so long.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You know what the worst part about this game is, bar none?

That you cannot power stance bare fists. Why would you not be allowed to do that?!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow, gently caress the Armoured Spider boss fight so much. I don't know if I missed a gimmick or what but that fight was horrible and took FOREVER to beat.

Its not that the boss itself was hard, its just that I did like no damage to it. If I was even slightly injured it could instakill me, so I had to keep wasting crystals every time a spider bit my toe. So I'm running around in that huge chamber for like 10 minutes slowly whittling the boss down and burning through far too many resources in the process. I was able to deal with all the enemies in the area just fine so I don't feel like I was underequipped. That boss just has far too much health.

You have to hit one of her heads or you won't damage her. I ran into that problem a lot with magic, since she would turn sideways to me. I summoned an NPC to handle the little guys for me and got it in one try.

The worst part I think is after, when you're out of everything and still have two fights ahead of you.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Convergence posted:

This is a lovely port. I'm getting a controller tomorrow and will start over but it's ridiculous how little they tried.

its loving embarrassing that they can come out and say "yeah we delayed the pc version because of quality reasons". loving seriously? What was the PC port before that, a piece of paper with DARK SOULS TWO written on it?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
The Tower Shield owns a lot. 70 Stability, 100% phys def. :frogc00l: Going from 50 to 70 stability seems to make a big difference. You need 30 strength to use this shield but if you're anywhere close to that, go for it.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I've found an incredibly cheap and lazy place to put down small white soapstone signatures. :3 Kinda late in the game I think, so spoilers just in case.

In the Iron Keep, at the bonfire immediately past the Smelter Demon's room. Step out the door, drop your sign. When you're summoned, all you need to do is kill the alonne captain if he's up, those two ironclad knights and then pull the level as soon as you enter the next room. Dropping the other knights in fulfills your duty.

And then I proceed to miss the jump because I rolled instead. :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

I did a little experimental run-through and I think I've found what he's talking about. Do you want the directions? It might be kind of long. :v:

Short version though is that you'll need to kill the boss first and foremost.

Edit: And for the magic weapons question earlier just remembered, I also keep a pyromancy flame +10 handy and binoculars so I can aim spells long-range.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 28, 2014

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Spider boss is super easy if you do it solo. Just stand far enough away to bait her laser, then run to her other head and hit it a few times. Just make sure to move away before she has time to attack again.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Moola posted:

Man you are spinning me the gently caress out by replying to both of my posts with the same reply in different threads. :psyduck:

lol

Tallgeese posted:

You know what the worst part about this game is, bar none?

That you cannot power stance bare fists. Why would you not be allowed to do that?!

Vanquisher's Seal let's you

Verviticus posted:

its loving embarrassing that they can come out and say "yeah we delayed the pc version because of quality reasons". loving seriously? What was the PC port before that, a piece of paper with DARK SOULS TWO written on it?

Uh the port is pretty good tho? Most people think it's good, and most people seem to enjoy the kb+m controls or at least are okay with them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I reiterate that it isn't hard, just super tedious because it has a mountain of health.

Genocyber posted:

Uh the port is pretty good tho? Most people think it's good, and most people seem to enjoy the kb+m controls or at least are okay with them.

No it really isn't. This port is no better than Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition was. The fact that it STILL uses loving Xbox control buttons on my PC is pathetic.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Decided to go back on my sorcerer... Grabbed a mace instead of a sword, and now it's as fun as my brute force dude.

About to pick up some new spells too.

Fun thing happened just now though, I saw a ghost of another character fighting those stone knights in Heide's. He took a hit and died, just then a new bloodstain popped up where he fell. Thought it was funny :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I reiterate that it isn't hard, just super tedious because it has a mountain of health.

It didn't really feel any worse than most bosses in that regard? I actually went into that fight really low on spells but it wasn't a problem.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

I love the stuff people come up with in this game. I think my next favorite was just "SKELETON!" before the door thats just a rock wall with a skeleton in it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Genocyber posted:

The game runs better but the controls are loving terrible. When you need AHK scripts to play the game properly, something's hosed up

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

No it doesn't. It has rather low HP for a big boss, actually.

quote:

No it really isn't. This port is no better than Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition was. The fact that it STILL uses loving Xbox control buttons on my PC is pathetic.

Um...you mean every PC game with controller support ever?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Internet Kraken posted:

This port is no better than Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition was.
Did you ever actually play DS1 for PC because the port barely worked without a fan-made patch and even with the patch was FPS locked unless you wanted to break the game amongst a myriad of other issues.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Genocyber posted:

"good" as in people expected even worse after the last one, maybe?

It's a terrible port. But I'm not gonna list everything that's wrong with it. The only thing it has going for it is that it runs at high FPS.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Stringbean posted:

Decided to go back on my sorcerer... Grabbed a mace instead of a sword, and now it's as fun as my brute force dude.

About to pick up some new spells too.

Fun thing happened just now though, I saw a ghost of another character fighting those stone knights in Heide's. He took a hit and died, just then a new bloodstain popped up where he fell. Thought it was funny :v:
I love it when you see things like that. Even watching a ghost run around in an area, then move to the bonfire and you see the detailed ghost. Stuff like that is fun. Alternatively, seeing a guy lay down his summon sign and you see the sign spawn in your world.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Genocyber posted:

No it doesn't. It has rather low HP for a big boss, actually.

Um...you mean every PC game with controller support ever?

What? Name one other decent game that does this poo poo.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Kimmalah posted:

It didn't really feel any worse than most bosses in that regard? I actually went into that fight really low on spells but it wasn't a problem.

yeah it really doesn't have that much health. Had to beat it entirely without spells since I used up all of mine too on the way to the boss. Really the only boss that took me a long time to kill was looking glass knight due to its high armor and lightning resistance.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Verviticus posted:

What? Name one other decent game that does this poo poo.

No, Geno is right about this one. Look at the Arkham series for one of the biggest offenders.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Internet Kraken posted:

What? Dark Souls: Prepare to Die was unplayable without modding the poo poo out of it. It was one of the worst ports I've ever seen pre-modding. This is way above average as ports go. You're seriously suggesting that this is just as bad as a port that was locked at 720p and uncontrollable with a mouse and keyboard?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I may have accidentally pulled a lever and dunked my host into the lava. :ninja:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
From has lost my support, it's simply outrageous that console plebs don't start out in full peasant attire regardless of class

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...what's the problem with this port, exactly? It runs beautifully on my 4+ years old PC, and as someone that uses a PS3 pad with custom drivers, I'm used to Xbox 360 button prompts. KB+M is that bad? Or is it just "I can't fine-tune anti-aliasing v-sync pixel count gently caress you"?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Cyberventurer posted:

I may have accidentally pulled a lever and dunked my host into the lava. :ninja:
One time I watched a video where a turtle activated it on a host. That was pretty great.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

oneof3steves posted:

What? Dark Souls: Prepare to Die was unplayable without modding the poo poo out of it. It was one of the worst ports I've ever seen pre-modding. This is way above average as ports go. You're seriously suggesting that this is just as bad as a port that was locked at 720p and uncontrollable with a mouse and keyboard?

Seriously, Dks2 PC is multitudes better than the dks1 port, they aren't even comparable.

Also yeah there are plenty of PC ports that are way better with a controller. Not all games work well with a keyboard and mouse.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What's the way down to the flame room with the salamander thing underneath the second bonfire of FOFG?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

No, Geno is right about this one. Look at the Arkham series for one of the biggest offenders.

Oh, ok. I guess I never got around to the batman games. I assume they at least had a passable UI for learning the commands in key bindings or whatever

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Chiming in here, the Vanquisher's Seal does not let you powerstance bare fists. It does, however, make them do insane damage.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

kazil posted:

What's the way down to the flame room with the salamander thing underneath the second bonfire of FOFG?
Either have the Iron Key for that one metal door before Last Giant's area or have some fall damage equipment/fall control and hop on down there.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Float like a butterfly

http://i.imgur.com/bO6lvjy.jpg

Also lag is really making pvp in this game unfun.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Verviticus posted:

Oh, ok. I guess I never got around to the batman games. I assume they at least had a passable UI for learning the commands in key bindings or whatever

You weren't allowed to rebind keys I don't think, though if I recall you had some presets.

So yeah. Nowadays it's 360 pad or bust without x360ce/DS3 XInput Tool.

---

I guess I have to get the Seal myself to confirm about pwoerstancing fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

HellCopter posted:

Chiming in here, the Vanquisher's Seal does not let you powerstance bare fists. It does, however, make them do insane damage.

Do you get CoC tokens if you beat bellbros?