Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Agreed posted:

Any other nVidia users noticed a drop-off in max clock (but generally higher clockrates otherwise) requiring a re-do of the overclock and all the of-limited-effectiveness stability testing we have available, as of the most recent drivers? Reminds me of the first move away from the 316 branch, but only the good part, where all of a sudden the card was actually flexing its muscles well (not the bad stuff, like how Fermi cards kept just not working etc.) - it seems nVidia's done something in the drivers to tune them for performance and if you have or had an edge case stable overclock, might need to revisit it. I even seem to recall reading something about displayed clocks changing in the patch notes?

Either way, all around much better drivers in that they 1. work (positive feature!) and 2. make games run faster (another positive feature!) regardless of 3. my core and shaders numbers seem to top out a bin lower than they were (in light of 1 and 2, who cares).

My GTX 770 is maintaining my max overclocks just fine with the new beta drivers. Speaking of overclock, the max I've been able to get so far is 1228 on the core, is that a good overclock for a GTX 770? I haven't bumped up the voltage yet due to thermal concerns with my ancient case not having an air intake for my GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I was able to get it back up to 1250MHz, which is probably not the maximum for it but it's plenty fast and I'm happy with it and it doesn't break 60ºC in stress tests, I just noticed that I had to redo the whole thing, and that in games where previously it'd sort of frustratingly park between ~860MHz and ~1006MHz, it's now staying much closer to that 1250MHz ceiling - rare for a game to dip below at least 1156Mhz now, and even in Unreal 3 games which it completely obliterates it still won't drop below 1228MHz and will ride along at the full 1250MHz core/shaders OC now.

I just remember that my previous card, a 780, was stable either at 1170-something MHz with X driver release, then it'd be stable at 1150ish MHz with the next one, and it'd just sort of swing between those based on whatever was going on in the driver at the time I guess; with this one, I've got room to go up that I am not taking advantage of because 1250MHz on a 780Ti is fast as hell and I don't feel like I really need it to be any faster, and at this clock, it's totally stable. I don't feel like chasing or even really tickling the dragon, it's got plenty of hardware oomph going on. But I am curious as to how other, edge-case stable cards have responded to the more recent drivers.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

My GTX 770 is maintaining my max overclocks just fine with the new beta drivers. Speaking of overclock, the max I've been able to get so far is 1228 on the core, is that a good overclock for a GTX 770? I haven't bumped up the voltage yet due to thermal concerns with my ancient case not having an air intake for my GPU.

Unless they've changed something, I don't think the 680 or 770 can actually exceed that clockrate without going into the BIOS and telling it to do so on purpose. So you're basically at its performance ceiling, I'd say that's a good clock. Unless they've changed something, of course. :)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
May be too good to be true but the guy does have a history of selling video cards for cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-XLR8-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti-Enthusiast-Edition-graphics-card-VCGGTX780T3XPB-/261461808084

780ti for $500 shipped. Guy sold a few 690's at the beginning of april and back in september sold a bunch of 690's for way below what they should cost.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Nope. Same clocks, better performance for me. I notice temp and power push higher than they used to. Maybe that is revealing an underlying instability?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Has anyone used the PT1 bios on their 290s?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dogen posted:

Nope. Same clocks, better performance for me. I notice temp and power push higher than they used to. Maybe that is revealing an underlying instability?

Or correcting for one, or correcting for incorrect monitoring, or... Plenty of variables there, it's really hard to tell. Good OC on that card, regardless :)

If you guys want to add a good tool to the kit for nVidia OC testing, check out FluidMark for sure. It's a PhysX workload generator that can combine graphics workload and shader post-processing as well; it's been unbelievably useful for me testing my overall system stability since I have a second card for PhysX, but it's also great at making your card work really hard in ways that it might not normally do except in very demanding video game scenarios that do some GPGPU compute alongside gameplay (which may mean more in the near future than it does right now). Another thing to poke the logic with to see if it'll stand or fall, and it's fun to watch a very powerful card do simple PhysX with like 50+ emitters and uncapped particle count - so many teraflops of compute power for that task and all just to make goopy stuff pile up on some rocks and then make it pretty, with 8xAA and postprocessing :v:

It wrecked an OC I had on a previous card, and I don't know how many people use it, but for nVidia stability testing it can certainly help tell you if you're as stable as you think you are.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Agreed posted:

Or correcting for one, or correcting for incorrect monitoring, or... Plenty of variables there, it's really hard to tell. Good OC on that card, regardless :)

If you guys want to add a good tool to the kit for nVidia OC testing, check out FluidMark for sure. It's a PhysX workload generator that can combine graphics workload and shader post-processing as well; it's been unbelievably useful for me testing my overall system stability since I have a second card for PhysX, but it's also great at making your card work really hard in ways that it might not normally do except in very demanding video game scenarios that do some GPGPU compute alongside gameplay (which may mean more in the near future than it does right now). Another thing to poke the logic with to see if it'll stand or fall, and it's fun to watch a very powerful card do simple PhysX with like 50+ emitters and uncapped particle count - so many teraflops of compute power for that task and all just to make goopy stuff pile up on some rocks and then make it pretty, with 8xAA and postprocessing :v:

It wrecked an OC I had on a previous card, and I don't know how many people use it, but for nVidia stability testing it can certainly help tell you if you're as stable as you think you are.

Ooo cool. I've been relying on heaven for stability which hasn't been 100% reliable for that purpose.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
re: PCIe--bandwidth-wise, it's not a big deal for games because even if you double or quadruple PCIe speeds you're still an order of magnitude off from GDDR5 so falling off the fast path is still catastrophic. the reason to move away from PCIe in some spaces is that for serious compute, the latency is horrific (multi-microsecond, when for some exotic interconnects like Aries or the one in Blue Gene you're talking maybe <1us for a packet to reach a remote node), which directly impacts strong scaling, which (along with how much power/cooling you have) directly determines how big your cluster can be. if you've got something better between your GPU and your interconnect, you might be able to get better latency, which means bigger clusters with your processors.

also PCIe doesn't have cache coherence which is a Big Deal for compute, but that's more of a programming model concern than a "poo poo goes fast" concern.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Aww, my $500 780ti got refunded :(

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I was pretty pissed when I missed that post, but ... that actually sucks more. Who refunded it? Ebay or the seller? 23 sold is pretty significant

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

I was pretty pissed when I missed that post, but ... that actually sucks more. Who refunded it? Ebay or the seller? 23 sold is pretty significant

The seller. It was listed twice and im guessing he didn't mean to relist it. He has a good history of selling 690's for under $670 and poo poo so i think it was legit. He certainly wasn't doing anything to hide himself, and his paypal info was verified.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
That's so weird. Why would anyone sell 780tis for $500. Even if you stole the things you could just as easily sell them for $50 under the lowest online price

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

That's so weird. Why would anyone sell 780tis for $500. Even if you stole the things you could just as easily sell them for $50 under the lowest online price

Yea, maybe hes like the guy here that sells SSD's super cheap.

In september he sold multiple 690's for under $675

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=ftmgt2&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=3&page=2

and at the beginning of april he sold 2 690's for $625 each

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-GeForce-GTX-690-4GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Card-NEW-/261441080566

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
GPU Santa Claus

edit: I assume the seller isn't actually losing money though... assuming all is legit (as in, actually ships real cards, which looks like it is) I wonder what the source is

Also I ordered this this morning:

It was at my house by the time I got off work :drat:

:coal:

Despite what it looks like, there was just one noticeable stutter right there in the middle. BF4 max settings, its very nice. However I tried super sampling for the first time and it looked AMAZING. I was in some bushes and when I put that slider up I was just blown away immediately by the leaves then everything else. Then I was blown away by the fact I was getting 8 fps :lol:

maybe next time

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 26, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Ignoarints posted:

GPU Santa Claus

edit: I assume the seller isn't actually losing money though... assuming all is legit (as in, actually ships real cards, which looks like it is) I wonder what the source is
Probably review samples. Bigger websites tend to get cards and ES CPUs for free and then sell them off when they move onto something else. You can usually get some good deals on hardware forums that way.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'd a bit late to the party here but I just installed a 750Ti for a friend(PC) and in the box there was a slip of paper saying the card had a full UEFI bios. Does that mean the age of different PC and Mac video card variants is at an end? Of course only relevant for the Mac Pro tower with actual PCIe user expansion.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

I'd a bit late to the party here but I just installed a 750Ti for a friend(PC) and in the box there was a slip of paper saying the card had a full UEFI bios. Does that mean the age of different PC and Mac video card variants is at an end? Of course only relevant for the Mac Pro tower with actual PCIe user expansion.

It means you can turn off csm in your bios and get windows 8 super fast boot times. Has nothing to do with osx.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Everytime I think about how much they price gouge for video cards I get pissed off at apple. I mean its one thing to make some sleek looking thing then marking it up a hundred percent or so, but just off the shelf consumer poo poo for 3x or more?

annoying

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ignoarints posted:

Everytime I think about how much they price gouge for video cards I get pissed off at apple. I mean its one thing to make some sleek looking thing then marking it up a hundred percent or so, but just off the shelf consumer poo poo for 3x or more?

annoying

It really isn't an issue anymore since they've discontinued the previous style Mac Pros. It was obnoxious though to see 5870s still cost $450.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Are former mining cards worth the risk? I'm in the market for a R9 290 and wouldnt mind saving some cash going through ebay.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bobby2times posted:

Are former mining cards worth the risk? I'm in the market for a R9 290 and wouldnt mind saving some cash going through ebay.

Folks have had good luck buying from buttcoiners. I'm always skeptical of how those idiots, er, I mean captains of industry treat their hardware:
http://www.bitcoinminingrigs.com/?fp_type=news

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

bobby2times posted:

Don't most cards have 3 year warranties or whatever anyway?

I'd say it's free extended soak testing!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Depends, in my opinion. They do have an apparent lifespan when worked 24/7, it's just it probably wont matter. But yes you know its not going to be a totally bum card - but its not as if that's exactly common I'd consider that more rationalization than a practical benefit.

Make sure the warranty is usable for you the second owner. I really do like used but I really don't like mining cards either for no concrete reason. A common sentiment considering the prices though, so if it works out then you get a great deal.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It would be a bigger deal if people overvolt the GPUs, but miners who mine at home and have to actually pay for the electricity tend to undervolt. In that case the only thing suffering any wear is the fans which have a huge mean time between failures and can be cheaply replaced.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Now that I've moved up to 770 SLI, the top card gets nice and hot. 88 degrees with the fans nearly topping out. I started to look into a custom loop but was immediately put off by the price that alone, then the waterblocks :psyduck: oh man, I had no idea about the cost there.

Is there a more economical way to reduce the temperatures? I'm really only concerned about the top card, the bottom one doesn't even get into the 70's. I noticed aftermarket coolers in the past but they seemed (at least at the time) to be a bit outdated and meant for older cards with much crappier stock cooling. But maybe I'm wrong there.

edit: maybe I can use that $30 nzxt bracket and cram another AIO in there somewhere

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 27, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think blowers are considered better for SLI. Probably what you need is some cool air blowing in from the side toward the GPUs (particularly the top one).

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Dogen posted:

I think blowers are considered better for SLI. Probably what you need is some cool air blowing in from the side toward the GPUs (particularly the top one).

Yeah I actually do have a fan in the side blowing directly on them

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The top card is just sucking up hot air from the back of the bottom card, not much you can do about it.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Yeah I figured as much but I really hate reaching my temperature limit like that. Repasting helped a ton, but it still gets there (just slower and less fan speed overall). I am wondering if finding the cheapest AIO + the NZXT bracket is a good or dumb idea.

edit: Like a H55 and the bracket, does anybody have an opinion on this? It would difficult to fit in this antec 300 but I think I could make it fit

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 27, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sell your cards and buy ref models

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I would be pretty comfortable buying used 280s and 290s from ebay, they're new enough that they can't have been used for mining for more than ~4 months, a 290 for ~$300 is a pretty good deal too. Not sure about 7-series cards since they could have been running flat out for over a year.

:lol: I just checked and I see 7990s going for like $400-600, poor motherfuckers, I wouldn't touch those with... something really long. Good deal for them I guess though, if they got the last of the new 7990s last fall when newegg etc. were clearing them out for like $500-600.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm going to attempt to overclock the VRAM on my ASUS 660Ti so what is the best utility to overclock with and what's the best utility to test stability?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like running 100 loops of MemtestG80 using I think just below 1GB of memory (It's kind of old so it has an upper limit of how much memory it'll test at once) while I'm running Furmark to generate heat. Just testing the memory alone doesn't really heat up the board at all so it's not good enough to just run MemtestG80. I like MemtestG80 because it just keeps a running tally of memory errors so you don't need to stare at benchmark loop and wonder if that flicker you saw for one frame was an error, a general inaccuracy in rendering, or just something you didn't notice before. 100 passes of MemtestG80 only takes like 5-10 minutes and I've never had it give me a passing result that artifacts or crashes during games.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

spasticColon posted:

I'm going to attempt to overclock the VRAM on my ASUS 660Ti so what is the best utility to overclock with and what's the best utility to test stability?

ASUS has their own software called GPU tweak, which is what I used with my asus 660ti. I actually liked it a tiny bit better than MSI afterburner (which also works)

If I recall mine could go 400-500 over. I'm sure craig's method is better for sure, but I just used Heaven 4.0 when overclocking ram. It readily crashed hard when it was too high, and within ~50 mhz it showed very obvious errors. I'm actually going to try memtest now

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Now when you say 400-500 are you talking about the actual or effective clockspeed?

Edit: I'm guessing effective speed because overclocking that much by the actual clockspeed would yield a 8GHz effective clock and that's impossible.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 28, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

spasticColon posted:

Now when you say 400-500 are you talking about the actual or effective clockspeed?

Edit: I'm guessing effective speed because overclocking that much by the actual clockspeed would yield a 8GHz effective clock and that's impossible.

Effective, which is what GPU tweak reads. Afterburner is divide by 2, I'm not sure if others read actual

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ignoarints posted:

Yeah I figured as much but I really hate reaching my temperature limit like that. Repasting helped a ton, but it still gets there (just slower and less fan speed overall). I am wondering if finding the cheapest AIO + the NZXT bracket is a good or dumb idea.

edit: Like a H55 and the bracket, does anybody have an opinion on this? It would difficult to fit in this antec 300 but I think I could make it fit

I run a dual SLI setup using those two NZXT brackets each connected to one NZXT X40 and it works very well but I have an odd case design that lends itself to this sort of setup.

KakerMix posted:

Re-cased my system, re-did my cooling and now I can't crack 49c on either 780ti no matter how hard I push them. 3 closed loop rads, a whole bunch of Noctua fans and a whole lot less decibels. I also really dig having a fan controller with temperature readouts on the front.

Looking at the Antec 300 it looks like there are a few options to make it work, your biggest issues would probably be AIO cooler hose length if you were to run them both out the front or space issues if you ran one out the top and another one out the side or back.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Awesome man, I might. It seems most economical and I just want it for one card. It looks like I can cram the radiator in the HDD area using a front fan slot which would also put it close to the cards. Also I have no issue tapping new holes and stuff if I need, but it's going to be a little weird. I already have an AIO in the top rear exhaust slot unfortunately

where the red square is I was thinking (old cards in this pic )

Don Lapre posted:

Sell your cards and buy ref models

For the coolers? Reference 770's kind of suck if I recall though

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 28, 2014

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ignoarints posted:

Awesome man, I might. It seems most economical and I just want it for one card. It looks like I can cram the radiator in the HDD area using a front fan slot which would also put it close to the cards. Also I have no issue tapping new holes and stuff if I need, but it's going to be a little weird. I already have an AIO in the top rear exhaust slot unfortunately

For the coolers? Reference 770's kind of suck if I recall though

Reference 770s have titan coolers. Which are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

My old 6850 died on me a few days ago, so I just bought a new R7 265 to replace it. Seems like it's working well except I'm sometimes getting a white checkerboard pattern in Firefox. I was on old 13.1 drivers that thought I was using a 7800 series card and just updated to the most recent 14.4 drivers, but it hasn't fixed the issue. Is this A Thing or is my new card likely bad?