Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cyberventurer posted:

I may have accidentally pulled a lever and dunked my host into the lava. :ninja:

There are also pressure plates up there that will dunk the platforms. Which can be a handy way to kill those archer guys if you're not busy killing your buddies. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

bug but hole :heysexy:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

TheNightReaver posted:

The upgrade and infusion paths are different, so you can get a weapon to +10 first and then infuse it, or infuse it and then upgrade it.
And if you decide to undo the infusion, the "+10" (or whatever level) still remains intact.

So just to be clear, I can have a Twinblade +10 AND Bleed +5 enhanced? Or something?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Chiming in here, the Vanquisher's Seal does not let you powerstance bare fists. It does, however, make them do insane damage.

Unless they patched it out it definitely works. What are your stats; perhaps you need a certain amount of str/dex? (i had 40 each)

Red Crown posted:

So just to be clear, I can have a Twinblade +10 AND Bleed +5 enhanced? Or something?

No. Upgrading and infusing are entirely separate things. Upgrading makes things a weapon has better. Infusing adds properties to a weapon, or increases a property if the weapon has it at base, at the cost of lowering other things. So you could make a Twinblade bleeding and give it bleed at the cost of damage, and it would be a Bleeding Twinblade+10.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

you can't level up infusions separately, so it would simply be a bleed twinblade +10

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

There are also pressure plates up there that will dunk the platforms. Which can be a handy way to kill those archer guys if you're not busy killing your buddies. :v:

I may have done that too. :ninja: :ninja:

Also, does pyromancy have a spell that creates a petrifying cloud mist? I just saw an invader use it against me and my host. At least if he was hacking, the spell only built it up instead of being an immediate thing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Red Crown posted:

No, no, no. the infusion doesn't level up. It's basically "Put element/status on weapon", that's all it does. So you can go and put dark or bleed or poison or lightning on a +0 or +1 or +8 or +10 weapon (any weapon, even boss weapons) and it becomes a +whatever of that type. If you use a palestone on it afterwards, it becomes a +whatever normal weapon again.

You can infuse shields too for added resistance of whatever stone you slap on it. So you can slap +fire on a wooden shield and watch it actually block fire attacks worth a drat now.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Dias posted:

...what's the problem with this port, exactly? It runs beautifully on my 4+ years old PC, and as someone that uses a PS3 pad with custom drivers, I'm used to Xbox 360 button prompts. KB+M is that bad? Or is it just "I can't fine-tune anti-aliasing v-sync pixel count gently caress you"?
Seriously, this port isn't that bad. It plays great on my older rig. I've seen way worse, way less optimized ports of console games (like Dark Souls: Prepare to Die, for example.) And for all the people complaining about the keyboard controls, really? Saying Dark Souls 2 is not a good PC port because of the kb+m controls is like saying Devil May Cry 4 is not a good PC port because of the kb+m controls.

It's a third person action game that was designed to be played with controllers, what did you guys expect? :psyduck:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Alkydere posted:

You can infuse shields too for added resistance of whatever stone you slap on it. So you can slap +fire on a wooden shield and watch it actually block fire attacks worth a drat now.

Just be warned that this lowers the shields other resistances, including physical so don't put it on your 100% physical shield if you use one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Seriously, this port isn't that bad. It plays great on my older rig. I've seen way worse, way less optimized ports of console games (like Dark Souls: Prepare to Die, for example.) And for all the people complaining about the keyboard controls, really? Saying Dark Souls 2 is not a good PC port because of the kb+m controls is like saying Devil May Cry 4 is not a good PC port because of the kb+m controls.

It's a third person action game that was designed to be played with controllers, what did you guys expect? :psyduck:

It bears to repeat how good the optimization is. I can play this at mostly perfect 60 fps on my couple year old laptop (with settings at lowest, granted). Only other game I can think that I can do that with that's recent is MGR.

Cnidaria posted:

Just be warned that this lowers the shields other resistances, including physical so don't put it on your 100% physical shield if you use one.

It barely lowers them; it seems infusing raises the target by about 10% and lowers everything else by about 2%. So not much of a loss.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Goddamnit, Shrine of Amana is kicking my rear end. I've spirit-broed a few times so I know exactly how close I am to the next bonfire too every time I die.

I never thought I'd say this but I can't wait for the enemy despawn to kick in here. :smithicide:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kazil posted:

What's the way down to the flame room with the salamander thing underneath the second bonfire of FOFG?

Cat ring was how I did it. You need to be careful where you fall or the lizards will kill you real quick.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cyberventurer posted:

I may have done that too. :ninja: :ninja:

Also, does pyromancy have a spell that creates a petrifying cloud mist? I just saw an invader use it against me and my host. At least if he was hacking, the spell only built it up instead of being an immediate thing.

There's Toxic Mist, which can inflict the toxic status effect. I've noticed that meter looks very similar to the petrification meter. But I don't think there are any spells that specifically do that no.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Ahahaha the bottom water part of the Lost Bastille. They really want to gently caress you over proper, don't they?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

natetimm posted:

Ahahaha the bottom water part of the Lost Bastille. They really want to gently caress you over proper, don't they?
You can send the elevator back up and bring the scorpion monsters back there, then make them fall into the hole.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What chime are people finding most effective for LIGHTNING SPEAR antics and variants thereof? I mean clearly Dragon Chime is best but until then what is a good stopgap?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

natetimm posted:

Try backstabbing.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Nahxela posted:

You can send the elevator back up and bring the scorpion monsters back there, then make them fall into the hole.

I was doing that, and was proud of myself for thinking of it. Finally passed them and thought my troubles were over. Oh how wrong I was.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

natetimm posted:

I was doing that, and was proud of myself for thinking of it. Finally passed them and thought my troubles were over. Oh how wrong I was.

With the mummies you need to be very aggressive, and if you go upstairs either way and drop down to open the gate, you can run home free.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

neetengie posted:

With the mummies you need to be very aggressive, and if you go upstairs either way and drop down to open the gate, you can run home free.

Part of my problem is I'm using a greatsword so if I miss I'm hosed. It was just a hilarious situation when I realized the water doesn't slow the mummies .

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Question about Ornifex, When she says that she'll make me one thing does she mean only one ever or only one for free? Also i want opinions on The Freja souls weapons. Is the debuff any good? and which one is better do you think?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What chime are people finding most effective for LIGHTNING SPEAR antics and variants thereof? I mean clearly Dragon Chime is best but until then what is a good stopgap?

Lightning infused Disc Chime is nice. You can use it as a shield and it has A FTH scaling at +10.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Question about Ornifex, When she says that she'll make me one thing does she mean only one ever or only one for free? Also i want opinions on The Freja souls weapons. Is the debuff any good? and which one is better do you think?

I found both to be bad, so I wouldn't recommend either. Also yes she makes only one free.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dunno where I got it but the priest's chime is pretty good for that. Or archdrake chime.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I've already got 1 of the great souls and I haven't been invaded once. Except by the gray phantoms at the Belfry.

They really nerfed PVP hard, huh?

Also I haven't hit a single backstab and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Vengarr posted:

I've already got 1 of the great souls and I haven't been invaded once. Except by the gray phantoms at the Belfry.

If you want PvP kill all NPCs before moving on to NG+. It might also be because people are taking a break or double dipping the PC version. I thought this was the console version, don't mind me!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So I'm up to the Bastille and one thing I realize, I loving can't fight for poo poo when there's a group. I'm at the point where these an ambush and am completely stuck on this part :(

What are some good tactics for handling groups when you can't easily divide and conquer them? (Playing as a Mace Cleric)

edit: nevermind, beat it by cheesing and running the gently caress away all the time. but was rather frustrating

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 28, 2014

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I just like the extra healing from the basic heal miracle and don't plan on really pumping up faith. Is there a chime that's like the thourland talisman from the first game that has good base adjust but lovely scaling?

edit:

Xaris posted:

So I'm up to the Bastille and one thing I realize, I loving can't fight for poo poo when there's a group. I'm at the point where these an ambush and am completely stuck on this part :(

What are some good tactics for handling groups when you can't easily divide and conquer them? (Playing as a Mace Cleric)

This is actually a fun one!

You'll need a bow. Now what you do is run into the ambush, then run back out once the guys are following you. Run straight across toward the tower that you're facing when you exit. Don't be an idiot and fall off, so make sure you know the route ahead of time! Go for the ladder that's on the side, it will require you to slow down a bit so that you can get onto the edge of the wall so that you can get into the upper floor. The AI is really bad with ledges and really, really bad with ladders. Like seriously it's worse than the Dark Souls 1 AI. Now a few of them will manage to fall off the ledge on their own, but a headshot from the bow will be able to push them back enough to knock a few more off. Once you got them down to a managable level, feel free to beat them. There will still be about four or five left inside the building between you and the boss, but don't worry you won't have to fight more than two of those at a time. This does take a while but it's the best way I could find. Fortunately the boss is insanely easy if you have the Drangleic shield so you shouldn't need to repeat this so much.

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 28, 2014

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I'm a rank away from the max Sunbro award, how much Faith should I pump in for it to be worth it? I know there are items that decrease a miracle's stats requirements but I don't know if they stack on the same spell. 55 is a fearsome number even with the Faith ring.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vengarr posted:

Also I haven't hit a single backstab and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Very few people bother to invade on NG because of limited cracked orb availability and the fact that Belfry pvp is much more materially beneficial to a new character. Get to NG+.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

I did a little experimental run-through and I think I've found what he's talking about. Do you want the directions? It might be kind of long. :v:

Short version though is that you'll need to kill the boss first and foremost.

Edit: And for the magic weapons question earlier just remembered, I also keep a pyromancy flame +10 handy and binoculars so I can aim spells long-range.

If you can type out the directions I'd love to hear it. All the bosses in the Bastille are long dead as far as I know.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Xaris posted:

Get them into a tunnel or someplace narrow where they have to funnel through 1 or 2 at a time.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm a rank away from the max Sunbro award, how much Faith should I pump in for it to be worth it? I know there are items that decrease a miracle's stats requirements but I don't know if they stack on the same spell. 55 is a fearsome number even with the Faith ring.

You can Spice something down to 10. Spice to 50, keep at 50 for the Dragon Chime.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I just like the extra healing from the basic heal miracle and don't plan on really pumping up faith. Is there a chime that's like the thourland talisman from the first game that has good base adjust but lovely scaling?

Heal spells heal for a set amount.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sankis posted:

I've been getting this error all day today. Yesterday and the day before were fine. Is something up with the servers?

I'm still having this issue and it's really frustrating. Tried all the usual stuff but nothing seems to work. Anyone else experiencing this? It happens when I'm being summoned.

Edit: Also where should I go at SL80/SM460k to sunbro?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

neetengie posted:

You can Spice something down to 10. Spice to 50, keep at 50 for the Dragon Chime.

Thanks.

Also I'm a ways in now and still haven't found the key for the door outside the Last Giant's boss chamber, is that something I should have by now or is the key off in another area further down the line?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I love the stuff people come up with in this game. I think my next favorite was just "SKELETON!" before the door thats just a rock wall with a skeleton in it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Get them into a tunnel or someplace narrow where they have to funnel through 1 or 2 at a time.

I was trying that but their weapons always hit through the hitboxes of each other and often I'd just get stunlocked. Managed to liberally use estus and run back and forth.

One thing I noticed is that I was trying to help some dudes out and get the lay of the land by putting down small soapstones a lot which was fine (although like 2 hosts ended up killing themselves in the same spot running out the door off a cliff) but I noticed weapon durability and spell usage persists which seems like an oversight and hosed me over when my weapon broke not in my world. Do people just use a crappy/backup weapon when being a shade?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

Thanks.

Also I'm a ways in now and still haven't found the key for the door outside the Last Giant's boss chamber, is that something I should have by now or is the key off in another area further down the line?

The key is in a different area, but you drop down to that area with the cat ring.

Xaris posted:

I was trying that but their weapons always hit through the hitboxes of each other and often I'd just get stunlocked. Managed to liberally use estus and run back and forth.

One thing I noticed is that I was trying to help some dudes out and get the lay of the land by putting down small soapstones a lot which was fine (although like 2 hosts ended up killing themselves in the same spot running out the door off a cliff) but I noticed weapon durability and spell usage persists which seems like an oversight and hosed me over when my weapon broke not in my world. Do people just use a crappy/backup weapon when being a shade?

Sometimes, and it's fine that it persists since you'll get everything back when you fulfill your duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

neetengie posted:

The key is in a different area, but you drop down to that area with the cat ring.

So what, the hole in Majula with all my furry friends? Otherwise I got no clue yet.