Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Karen Carpenter's drumming owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I actually kind of like that Bozzio bit that got linked. It's not, like, an actual SONG or anything, it's just him dicking around with more gear than I'll ever be able to afford in my life, but I dunno. It's probably the best possible use for a kit as dumb as that.

e: never mind, now he's showing his marching snare skillzzzzzzz and it's loving terrible.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 28, 2014

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Seriously every track on Kill em All is the exact same drum pattern.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Irradiation posted:

It saves time, who wants to memorize so many patterns when you have a one size fits all!

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ygxSlg32g

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Gerty posted:

If you can see the drummers face, they're poo poo.

Same but opposite for guitar player's dicks

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Irradiation posted:

using the same drum pattern on every song is cool though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOfeaX7N78U

actually I think she knew like 4 patterns

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the only drumming that matters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOWdp1sOxvA

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bernard Purdie owns

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I have never not watched that video all the way through. Once I start I can't turn him off.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Speaking of drums, I've noticed a weird sort of "bathtub curve" wherein: (1) people who don't know anything about drums figure Ringo must be great because he was in the Beatles; (2) people who know something about playing drums think Ringo sucks; but (3) people who are really fantastic and respected on drums have this weird sort of reverential attitude about Ringo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
his drumming does fit their music really well, same with john densmore

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wrong thread, not the classiest motherfucker on a classy kit thread.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

wrong thread, not the classiest motherfucker on a classy kit thread.

If you can find it there's another video on Drummer World where he does a drum solo that's more entertaining than anything Danny Carey has ever done

tacodaemon posted:

Speaking of drums, I've noticed a weird sort of "bathtub curve" wherein: (1) people who don't know anything about drums figure Ringo must be great because he was in the Beatles; (2) people who know something about playing drums think Ringo sucks; but (3) people who are really fantastic and respected on drums have this weird sort of reverential attitude about Ringo.

He plays a lot of cool, weird stuff because he leads with his left hand on everything

comes along bort posted:

John Densmore has legitimate chops (not that Ringo doesn't but Densmore is Good while Ringo is good)

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

comes along bort posted:

Pretty much. It's not technically proficient but it's exactly what it needed to be.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Ringo was an incredibly reliable drummer.

quote:

In his extensive survey of the Beatles' recording sessions, historian Mark Lewisohn confirmed that Starr was both proficient and remarkably reliable and consistent. According to Lewisohn, there were fewer than a dozen occasions in the Beatles' eight-year recording career where session breakdowns were caused by Starr making a mistake, while the vast majority of takes were stopped owing to mistakes by the other three Beatles.

He had great chops, but always chose being tasteful over being flashy. I think the reason for the bathtub curve is that as drummers (or musicians in general) start out and learn a bit, they start to idolize flash and math rock and raw technique, so they put Ringo next to Peart and Bozzio and Moon and decide that he sucks. As they get more secure and experienced, perspective brings about a realization that reliability and groove is more central to drumming, and Ringo had that better than most drummers of the era.

Some musicians never grow out of the technique fetishization. They become neoclassical shredders and nobody likes them except other neoclassical shredders.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Please don't insult math rock, thanks

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Please don't insult math rock, thanks

what the gently caress is math rock

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
it's when musicians focus way too hard on being different/original instead of sounding cool and dope

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dirt posted:

e: vvv he tends to have that effect on people

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 28, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i'm pretty mad you posted steve albini just now

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dirt posted:

The wikipedia image for it is perfect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slint_2007.jpg

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

mclast posted:

i'm pretty mad you posted steve albini just now

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CXtJA34QGQ

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Whenever I play with a new drummer I'm always really happy to see a small kit.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

is Lars really that bad? like-can't actually keep the beat for their songs bad?

17 year old me is going to be so disappointed, then again back then it was mostly all about Kirk; I didn't develop much of an appreciation for drumming 'til much later.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Lars is a solid enough drummer to be in a touring band. The problem is that he's a whiny little egotistical prick that is extremely unimaginative when it comes to drums.

I'll never get over someone quoting him as saying "Some drummers break sticks but I break drum heads!" - are you stabbing them? :psyduck:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

a kitten posted:

17 year old me is going to be so disappointed, then again back then it was mostly all about Kirk; I didn't develop much of an appreciation for drumming 'til much later.

Oh no I have bad news for you about Kirk

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

no he's the coolest :mad: i can't hear your lies!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Math Rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLEfbA7CBg8

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Back on topic: Amazing drummer (Stewart Copeland) shows off his extension collection of cool music poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwYJxWQCxEE

Declan MacManus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC2tuOQvQ3g

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

lmbo Kirk does kinda suck, but good lord Winger and Whitesnake are abysmal

Anyway, since drums are being discussed, i'll always love the Bill Reiflin and martin Atkins double drumming on Ministy's live album
why anyone needs two drummers i have no idea, but I fuckin love it anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNCeL7oepIM

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 28, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If it's good enough for the Melvins, it's good enough for me.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

fyodor posted:

this

also, Nomeansno (mid-nineties)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

a kitten posted:

Flemming Rasmussen posted:

"The whole thing with that specific song — as well as several of the other songs — was their desire for a technical perfection that would have been easy in these days of computer editing but which, back then, we had to achieve manually. Lars's playing had to be extremely tight, and we did 20‑ to 30‑second segments with me punching in and out over 18 drum tracks. When we got a good bit, we'd sit and listen to it a couple of times to make sure it was cool, and if, say, one hi‑hat hit was a little late, I'd chop out a tiny bit of tape with a razor to make it exactly right. That was a long and tiring process, and whereas it would now take about half a day to complete one of those drum tracks, back then it took us a minimum of three to four days. For each song I had a big envelope full of bits of two‑inch tape that I had chopped out, and I remember joking to Lars that they should hold a competition for the fans, enabling them to win lost bits from his drum tracks... He didn't find that at all amusing. However, for that time, what we ended up with was almost computer‑accurate, even though it was just him playing.

Declan MacManus posted:

it's funny in metal bands usually drummers are the most talented members, but james hetfield is a better lead guitarist than kirk and a better drummer (in that he can actually play a consistent beat) than lars. hasn't been able to come up with a riff worth half a sorry poo poo in over 20 years and he should've just let his throat go instead of learning to "sing", but still

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 28, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

^ :laffo: holy poo poo.

a kitten posted:

Yes, he's the loving worst.

Declan MacManus posted:

Kirk isn't the most technically proficient lead guitarist and he recycles a lot of his poo poo, but the dude could put together a good melody and solo. Mustaine on the other hand, christ, he can't write a good solo to save his life let alone play one.

edit: The only drumming that matters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG9jPPhVWSc

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fyodor posted:

dale crover's another great example of a dude who can play rings around most people but isn't flashy at all. the timing on a lot of the pre-atlantic melvins stuff is ridiculous

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I bought one of these when they first came out (23 years ago. Paid around £300 for it in old money)

Biggest heap of poo poo I've ever purchased.

I didn't even know how to play the guitar at the time.

I still don't

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

fuctifino posted:

I bought one of these when they first came out (23 years ago. Paid around £300 for it in old money)

Biggest heap of poo poo I've ever purchased.

I didn't even know how to play the guitar at the time.

I still don't

There is now a whole new way to use your guitar skills to make horrible ringtones and elevator music.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yourockguitar/yrg-pro-professional-grade-midi-guitar?ref=live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Squirrel Burger posted:

There is now a whole new way to use your guitar skills to make horrible ringtones and elevator music.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yourockguitar/yrg-pro-professional-grade-midi-guitar?ref=live

who the gently caress uses a 13'' fretboard radius !

• Locked thread