Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
There's nothing like Dark Souls to make me feel old and bad at videogames. At SL 75 I really should be able to beat down the Pursuer, yet he is my white whale. I look forward to the Youtube video of some loon beating him while naked and level 1 to truly rub the salt in the wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Perfect Potato posted:

So what, the hole in Majula with all my furry friends? Otherwise I got no clue yet.

No I mean you can get to the area where the iron door is locked by just dropping down there. Forest of the Giants, pit with the flame pillars and salamanders.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Merrill Grinch posted:

There's nothing like Dark Souls to make me feel old and bad at videogames. At SL 75 I really should be able to beat down the Pursuer, yet he is my white whale. I look forward to the Youtube video of some loon beating him while naked and level 1 to truly rub the salt in the wound.

Well... NG+ Spoilers.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

quote:

No I mean you can get to the area where the iron door is locked by just dropping down there. Forest of the Giants, pit with the flame pillars and salamanders.

Ah gotcha. I've been down there already, got a pretty nice greatshield out of it, but I guess it's back into the fire.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I managed him with a bonfire ascetic a few levels above that. If you're having trouble dodging his attacks maybe strip down a bit and focus less on damage and more on avoiding being hit at all. He telegraphs everything he does pretty hard.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I haven't run into many funny names yet. But this was decent

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

Ah gotcha. I've been down there already, got a pretty nice greatshield out of it, but I guess it's back into the fire.

If you went down there and got all the goodies, there's nothing left. The door was just another entrance.

TheQat posted:

I haven't run into many funny names yet. But this was decent

He better have Black Knight weapons. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where do I get that outfit? Also Lucatiel's, for that matter. Especially her hat.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Where do I get that outfit? Also Lucatiel's, for that matter. Especially her hat.

It's from Straid, don't know the requirements though. For Lucatiel, kill her or let her live through 3 bossfights and finish her story at Aldia's Keep.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just joined rat bros at about 900k SM and there seems to be no activity...am I out of range?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Alright goons.

I miss my longsword and claymore moveset where I could sword and board and have a sweeping (R1) attack but also a thrusting (R2) attack. Is there a weapon like that in Dark Souls 2 I should be going after or should I just stick with the mace because god drat it's amazing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

doctor 7 posted:

Alright goons.

I miss my longsword and claymore moveset where I could sword and board and have a sweeping (R1) attack but also a thrusting (R2) attack. Is there a weapon like that in Dark Souls 2 I should be going after or should I just stick with the mace because god drat it's amazing.
The 2H R2 of the longsword is a thrust

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I've summoned and invaded, like, 12 different people named Artorias.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

doctor 7 posted:

Alright goons.

Stick with the Mace/Club variants because they'll never go out of style. Greatswords have the moveset you're looking for, with the exceptions of a few having the overhead swing instead of a thrust.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

doctor 7 posted:

Alright goons.

The claymore has the same 1h moveset as dks1, the defender greatsword also has that 1h moveset.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

neetengie posted:

It's from Straid, don't know the requirements though. For Lucatiel, kill her or let her live through 3 bossfights and finish her story at Aldia's Keep.

Trade four boss souls to him.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

neetengie posted:

HOLY loving poo poo, THAT FIGHT. <caps off>

To get that suit from Straid, trade 4 boss souls with him and then use the talk option.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Merrill Grinch posted:

Like, alone? In his first proper boss fight, or later on? If you mean the boss fight, you can always lure him to the proper position, he'll dash at you, parry and then use the ballista to remove 90% of his health.

I've also fought him without the ballista - I've co-oped to fight him the very first time he shows up, and as long as you can dodge his surprise magic attacks he's not really too tough. His standard sweep is super telegraphed and easy to dodge if you roll towards him and to the left - the sweep is high enough that you can roll right under his sword.

Unless you mean later in the game, in which case I'm yet to bump into him again.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I've summoned and invaded, like, 12 different people named Artorias.

A good rule of thumb to have is the more asterisks and the less anime a character has/looks, the better that player is at the game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

People who gloat about darkwraiths not being able to SL1 invade any more don't realise the knock on effect with the entire rest of the game. If there are no darkwraiths then the blue sentinens and way of the blue is completely pointless.

Someone megamuling and then suiciding to give you 500k souls fucks you over permanently. Low level invading doesn't.

Yeah as is Way of Blue and Sentinels are worthless.

It's "easier" to invade kind of. I have never gotten invaded however, which is frustrating.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

oneof3steves posted:

What? Dark Souls: Prepare to Die was unplayable without modding the poo poo out of it. It was one of the worst ports I've ever seen pre-modding. This is way above average as ports go. You're seriously suggesting that this is just as bad as a port that was locked at 720p and uncontrollable with a mouse and keyboard?

I never downloaded a single mod for Dark Souls and played it just fine on the PC with a keyboard. DS 2 runs better but the default controls are still atrocious and they made no attempt at improving them even slightly. But go ahead and keep pretending I somehow didn't play the exact same game as the rest of you :geno:

I'm genuinely curious, do any of you actually play with the default PC controls? I never found them to be even remotely tolerable.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Is a pure faith based caster any good in DS2? I noticed that Dark Bead was moved to faith (and presumably massively nerfed.)

In DS1 pure spellcasters were amazing in pvp with the dlc spells, as well as gamebreaking at the game itself, but I never saw a good faith caster in pvp with how clunky and slow all of the spells were. Everyone just used it in addition to other stuff.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Cowcaster posted:

I must've missed the same spot because for the life of me I couldn't find a way around. Can you be more specific?

In other news, if anyone is having trouble with the Belfry Gargoyles: get the drangleic shield, and hold it in front of your face. Gargoyles will hate you for using this one weird tip from a mom.
Just saw this post but basically from the Servant's Quarters bonfire, go out the door, past the big dude with the scythe (?) and through the tower and out the other corner with another scytge dude (rather than going up towards the cells and towards Sinner's Rise). There are a series of rooftops with dogs down below and a well (if you smack the rock a cage with 3 mummies comes springing up). From there it's pretty much the track you're on if you came from No Man's Wharf into the Bastille.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah as is Way of Blue and Sentinels are worthless.

It's "easier" to invade kind of. I have never gotten invaded however, which is frustrating.

I got invaded once, I was all scared then I just pushed the dude off a cliff and he died. I invaded someone once, but he had a bunch of friends and they just sat by the bonfire with their shields it was boring and I died.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

Is a pure faith based caster any good in DS2? I noticed that Dark Bead was moved to faith (and presumably massively nerfed.)

In DS1 pure spellcasters were amazing in pvp with the dlc spells, as well as gamebreaking at the game itself, but I never saw a good faith caster in pvp with how clunky and slow all of the spells were. Everyone just used it in addition to other stuff.

Dark Bead is now Dark Hail, and it's a Hex not a miracle. All forms of magic are great in the game. Great Resonant Soul and resonant soul are great hexes.
edit: Hexes scale on the lower of the two stats (faith and intelligence), and the console thread has two posts in the OP talking about Hexes and magic stats in general.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sober posted:

Just saw this post but basically from the Servant's Quarters bonfire, go out the door, past the big dude with the scythe (?) and through the tower and out the other corner with another scytge dude (rather than going up towards the cells and towards Sinner's Rise). There are a series of rooftops with dogs down below and a well (if you smack the rock a cage with 3 mummies comes springing up). From there it's pretty much the track you're on if you came from No Man's Wharf into the Bastille.

Where do you get the key to unlock the door in that area?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
By the way, for anyone that has had trouble with the exploding mummies, throwing knives seem to one shot them. Throwing knives are also incredibly cheap so you can buy a huge amount to use throughout the game. They come in handy if you aren't a ranged character.

Genocyber posted:

No it doesn't. It has rather low HP for a big boss, actually.

:shrug: I don't get why it took so long for me to kill it. It seems like the most efficient way to fight it as melee is too bait out the laser than go smack the head on the opposite side, which usually lets you get a few hits in. Even doing that though it still took ages to kill, far longer than any boss.

EDIT: Also where can I find more pyromancy spells? I have 3 lord souls now but still have only seen one pyromancy vendor and haven't found any exploring.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 28, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Internet Kraken posted:

I never downloaded a single mod for Dark Souls and played it just fine on the PC with a keyboard. DS 2 runs better but the default controls are still atrocious and they made no attempt at improving them even slightly. But go ahead and keep pretending I somehow didn't play the exact same game as the rest of you :geno:

I'm genuinely curious, do any of you actually play with the default PC controls? I never found them to be even remotely tolerable.

I bought an xbox PC gamepad specifically for dark souls 1 because PC controls were such poo poo.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

Internet Kraken posted:

I never downloaded a single mod for Dark Souls and played it just fine on the PC with a keyboard.

Haha what?? You seriously didn't install dsfix and played that blurry, horrible trash and are somehow trying to say that DSII is just as bad?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Nahxela posted:

The 2H R2 of the longsword is a thrust

Yeah it's what I'm using now but I want my good old DeS/DaS moveset.

Cnidaria posted:

The claymore has the same 1h moveset as dks1, the defender greatsword also has that 1h moveset.

Awesome, thanks!

Internet Kraken posted:

But go ahead and keep pretending I somehow didn't play the exact same game as the rest of you :geno:

You didn't because the port was garbage without DSFix. This is universally accepted by I think everyone who played the PC version of Dark Souls. Even the devs themselves admitted they poo poo the bed.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

If you still refuse to touch a gamepad after almost nine years of cross-platform games being designed around them, then you deserve any frustration you get. There are wizened old mountain goats less stubborn than that.

Seriously, nine goddamn years of the Xbox 360 controller being the one and only standardized PC gamepad in the history of ever.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Internet Kraken posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but if you can afford a $50 game, just get a $30 controller and you can play a ton of games also designed around a controller!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

That path to Undead Purgatory is really grating. There are like 5 of those giant bandit guys that are basically Capra Demons with perfect tracking and homing ninja kicks, and even though the bonfire is right below the bridge they didn't put in any shortcut for some reason. The other half of Huntsman Copse is pretty cool so I'm not sure what happened there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dat one portagee posted:

Haha what?? You seriously didn't install dsfix and played that blurry, horrible trash and are somehow trying to say that DSII is just as bad?

Yeah because despite all the hemming and hawing about it being unplayable due to graphics issues, I never had any! The game looked and ran fine most of the time. The major problem for me was the fact that they made 0 attempt to come up with a control scheme that doesn't suck horribly. It wouldn't bug me so much if the buttons actually changed but they still stay with the Xbox ones which can get confusing.

Plus there are tons of people who supposedly have game crippling bugs that prevent them from even starting the game up, so its not like this game doesn't have its problems either when it comes to that.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but if you can afford a $50 game, just get a $30 controller and you can play a ton of games also designed around a controller!

Dark Souls is perfectly playable with just a keyboard though. You don't have to use a controller, but the default controls are so pathetic it took me an hour of rebinding stuff to figure out something that actually worked.

VVV Yeah plot wise this game has a problem where every area feels very disconnected. They are all really cool and interesting but there isn't anything tieing them all together that I've seen.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 28, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been thinking about DS2 and how it compares to DS1, and I think the biggest knock against it is that in the original, everything tied together in some way. Even the NPCs had overlap between each other. Except a few instances in DS2, the game has their plotlines as separate, and mostly unrelated. Stuff like how the Moonlight Butterfly was created by Seathe and is probably in the forest instead of the crystal cave so it can keep an eye on Havel, or how multiple NPCs go hollow because of the actions of the player. Dark Souls 2 is more about everyone losing themselves to time and that curse of still staying alive the crestfallen guy at the obelisk talks about. This got me wondering though; is there anything similar to Ash Lake in DS2? Or somewhere that you can go and see everywhere in the game, like in Dark Souls?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Fought through No-Man's Wharf again to go wheel and deal and the dude isn't there anymore :(

On the plus side, power fisting with duel Cesti is a lot of fun.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

So after getting a few hours in and now being in front of the Bastille sentinels boss fight, I've started to form an opinion on DS2 and I've got to ask... does anyone else feel that Dark Souls 2 is just somehow less fair than Dark Souls 1 was?

My problem is, in Dark Souls 1 I always had the impression that the game was giving me an honest shot. There were tough situations, but you always got to assess what you were up against up front. I never felt like there were any cheap shots. When I died, I never felt that it wasn't my own fault for getting in over my head.

In Dark Souls 2, I have that feeling all the time. The biggest thing is that enemies aren't triggered by visual range anymore. I'll step through a door or into a corridor and a bunch of enemies that shouldn't even be able to see me yet will run up from half the level away and start converging on my location. With an annoying regularity, they'll even spawn in behind me from a location I've already cleared out.

There are also a lot of gauntlet-style thingies where I'll turn a corner or open a door just to be swarmed by a huge amount of enemies that were previously impossible to see, way more than the combat system is really suited for. The worst example so far must be the Royal Guards right before the Sentinel boss fight, because there's just a completely unprepossessing door and the moment you open it and step through, 8+ of them will just run up from offscreen and gang up on me in this tiny confined space with no warning at all, which is basically an instant kill I had no chance of doing anything about the first time around. It's really cheap and I don't like it at all.

So what I'd like to know is, does this keep up throughout the whole game and does it annoy everyone else as much as me? I'm not really sure I want to continue playing if the whole game is made up of cheap shots like that.

I thought that in the Bastille, but then I noticed one guy simply hadn't noticed me at all and was hanging out up on a rafter. If I had a fire arrow I could shoot the gunpowder barrel near him and blow him the gently caress up.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Yo, who wants a Black Witch's Staff and/or Staff of Anime? Both good staves, got them first try, never been used, stored in my item box. Currently NG, SM is 1.5mil, currently in the Undead Crypt - any takers?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

That path to Undead Purgatory is really grating. There are like 5 of those giant bandit guys that are basically Capra Demons with perfect tracking and homing ninja kicks, and even though the bonfire is right below the bridge they didn't put in any shortcut for some reason. The other half of Huntsman Copse is pretty cool so I'm not sure what happened there.

I started sprinting through it because gently caress that noise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

natetimm posted:

I bought an xbox PC gamepad specifically for dark souls 1 because PC controls were such poo poo.

Yeah I got a 360 wired one for like 25$ from target and it makes the game so much better,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
This game would be extremely good and playable with a mouse and kb if they put half an hour of time into it. Everything is fine except the poo poo you need to AHK (which is like 5 minutes of effort to fix) and the fact that there's no documentation or prompts that help you learn what to push.