Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
God I really can't stop seeing pillars now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Seashell Salesman posted:

Shadows are completely equivalent to infinite pillars.

Describe to an alien on the phone on the other side of the known universe (so you can't point out a shared object to reference) which way is left and which way is right.

The world is an illusion. Everything you know is a lie.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Unormal posted:

Shadows are completely equivalent to infinite pillars.

Describe to an alien on the phone on the other side of the known universe (so you can't point out a shared object to reference) which way is left and which way is right.

The world is an illusion. Everything you know is a lie.

ban for account sharing with peter molyneux

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

j.peeba posted:

Alright, finished the game! Of course there's still plenty of things I could've done and wanted to do but I'm getting too tired to continue. :)

Check it out:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=5503
I enjoyed the difficulty of this game. It's small and simple, but the combination of varied enemies and weapons with destructible environments makes for exciting gameplay.

Seashell Salesman posted:

That's how they're implemented in game. They hover a little ways above the tile "casting" the shadow, which only strengthens the effect (you can see a gap if you look closely at the gif).

Unormal posted:

You could discuss asymmetries inherent in the laws of physics.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Not for ludum dare, just coincidentally at the same time, a game I made today because the dumb news articles spooging over flappy birds crossed with 2048 annoyed me (it's just flappy birds with numbers instead of graphics!)

So I made a real Flappy Birds crossed with 2048, to win you have to be good at both games at the same time. http://www.kongregate.com/games/RavenBlackX/2048-birds

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
roomforthetuna: Your game is loving impossible. Nicely done.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Scaevolus posted:

I enjoyed the difficulty of this game. It's small and simple, but the combination of varied enemies and weapons with destructible environments makes for exciting gameplay.

Yeah I enjoyed it too, although a way to switch weapons would have been nice (or was there a way that I missed?)

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the comments everyone!

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah I enjoyed it too, although a way to switch weapons would have been nice (or was there a way that I missed?)

There isn't. :( I would've wanted to make it so that the player drops the old weapon but it was one of the things I had to leave out because I ran out of time.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Internet Janitor posted:

roomforthetuna: Your game is loving impossible. Nicely done.
This is weird to me, because I'm mediocre at flappy birds, and mediocre at 2048, but I score 28 in 2048 Birds (as a peak; probably 10 on average) while everyone else so far scores 2 or less. I guess the main skill being exercised is the "two games at once" skill, which is one I've practiced. Possibly also something with judging trajectories? Can you elaborate on what was difficult about it?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

j.peeba posted:

Alright, finished the game! Of course there's still plenty of things I could've done and wanted to do but I'm getting too tired to continue. :)

Check it out:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=5503

This is so drat fantastic.

My completed Ludum Dare compo entry is here. I've put up an Android build so my non-tech friends with phones can play. Are there any gotchas with throwing out a free iOS version? I've got the paid developer account already.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

ahmeni posted:

My completed Ludum Dare compo entry is here. I've put up an Android build so my non-tech friends with phones can play. Are there any gotchas with throwing out a free iOS version? I've got the paid developer account already.
I quite enjoyed that, and yet wouldn't play it a second time. I think the slow ramping difficulty is kind of offputting for replayability (for me anyway) because you have to suffer through the trivially easy part to get back to the challenge again.

Nicely atmospheric music.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
j.peeba, how large of a chunk of your total time did the graphics take you for your entry? When I see a good looking game (which yours is) with otherwise relatively simple 2D graphics, that question always pops to mind. Especially since my programmer art skills exist in this weird limbo, where excluding organic models, I can pretty quickly put together nice looking hard-edged 3d models, but if I had to estimate, I'd say the 2D graphics you used would take me close to a week to draw (I am really bad at 2D for some reason; I can't visualize it the way I can 3d objects).

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

The King of Swag posted:

j.peeba, how large of a chunk of your total time did the graphics take you for your entry? When I see a good looking game (which yours is) with otherwise relatively simple 2D graphics, that question always pops to mind. Especially since my programmer art skills exist in this weird limbo, where excluding organic models, I can pretty quickly put together nice looking hard-edged 3d models, but if I had to estimate, I'd say the 2D graphics you used would take me close to a week to draw (I am really bad at 2D for some reason; I can't visualize it the way I can 3d objects).

Graphics and visuals didn't end up taking much of my time. I'd say maybe one fifth or so? I just uploaded a timelapse video of the development process so you might get a rough idea on when and how much time I spent on doing those: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq4kEEi4mmM

To me it actually feels like I did a sort of a half-assed job on the visuals but I suppose that is because I have a lot of professional and hobby experience on graphics that elevate my expectations. I was a senior environment artist in Alan Wake and I also did a little bit of graphics in Legend of Grimrock like items and their icons and a few GUI things here and there (level design and audio took most of my time in that project)... So like with everything, I think experience and practice is the key and with 2D graphics, I believe the best path might be the longest one. That means that at least in my case the skills build on top of a foundation of traditional drawing skills, painting skills (analog at first, then digital), photography and a dollop of art theory. I find that this general art guide (archived from a now defunct art forum) sums everything up pretty much perfectly: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/876/eatpoo-com-guide-for-art-noobs

And since you mentioned visualizing: for visualizing things in your head and then transporting that image into paper or a digital image, I think reading and doing the exercises in Betty Edwards' classic book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" could help. It's a little pseudoscience-y in its conclusions sometimes but I think the methods work well.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
This is a bit of a question pointed at someone familiar with Xbox hardware. I've found that, on my Windows 8.1 PC, holding down the Xbox jewel on a wired controller when the PC is asleep brings it awake. The jewel blinks with the full ring, then with the Player 1 designation as if it were hooked to an Xbox 360.

None of the other buttons prompt this, just the jewel itself. Anyone have an idea why? Is it a wake command that's generically sent from the controller to the system?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, you can turn the xbox on that way as well.

Works for wireless controllers too, it'll power on whatever xbox it's paired with. Not sure it'll do that on a PC.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yep, you can turn the xbox on that way as well.

Works for wireless controllers too, it'll power on whatever xbox it's paired with. Not sure it'll do that on a PC.

I have no idea why, but it's fascinating to me that a PC and a 360 have enough in common to have the same device power on both.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It'd be part of the connection specification.. I know USB has the ability to power on connected devices and I think the wireless controllers use a custom bluetooth implementation which also has that feature in the spec.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

More specific: why only that button? Why not the other face buttons?

Meridian Rizing
Sep 4, 2007
I entered Ludum Dare as well. First time entering it or any other game jam.

I did not expect to make a "The Core" fan game this weekend.

Play it here

Meridian Rizing fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 29, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Matlock posted:

More specific: why only that button? Why not the other face buttons?

That's just the convention. Push the middle button on the controller to turn on the system.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
We finished up our first ever attempt at a Ludum dare or game development in general, sadly a major bug cropped up right as everyone was leaving for their actual jobs so I had to quickly maul this thing into something remotely playable by the deadline, its not much right now, basically all the backbone and gameplay mechanics in a rough test level, but we would love to hear some feedback, especially as we intend to polish this thing up nice and shiny in our own time.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

roomforthetuna posted:

This is weird to me, because I'm mediocre at flappy birds, and mediocre at 2048, but I score 28 in 2048 Birds (as a peak; probably 10 on average) while everyone else so far scores 2 or less. I guess the main skill being exercised is the "two games at once" skill, which is one I've practiced. Possibly also something with judging trajectories? Can you elaborate on what was difficult about it?

I tried it a few more times and did somewhat better, so I think you are right as far as it requiring a kind of focus which can be trained. I think the bird half posed the most trouble for me, as it moves in a very slow and floaty fashion. Making a mistake or two and getting red blocks on the 2048 board creates a rapidly escalating feedback loop of failure.

Also to clarify I didn't mean that I think your game is a bad idea- it's clever, just punishing in a very true-to-the-source-material sort of way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Stab posted:

That's just the convention. Push the middle button on the controller to turn on the system.

It also powers on the controller, I think, so it makes sense that the other buttons wouldn't do anything while the controller was powered down.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

I tried it a few more times and did somewhat better, so I think you are right as far as it requiring a kind of focus which can be trained. I think the bird half posed the most trouble for me, as it moves in a very slow and floaty fashion. Making a mistake or two and getting red blocks on the 2048 board creates a rapidly escalating feedback loop of failure.

Also to clarify I didn't mean that I think your game is a bad idea- it's clever, just punishing in a very true-to-the-source-material sort of way.
Aha, thanks. I didn't think you were saying it was bad, you expressed the sentiment well. :)

I'm thinking of making a sequel already, which is identical except for you also have to simultaneously do a Typing of the Dead kind of thing - type words to stop owls from getting your bird. Obviously this is just for me since nobody else even wants to play with the level of split attention I already required. (Except one of my coworkers, who has now scored 31.)

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

And here it is, "2048 Birds of the Dead". http://www.kongregate.com/games/RavenBlackX/2048-birds-of-the-dead
I scored 13 before releasing it, 12 in the version that records the high score.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Where, praytell, did you get your wordlist?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

roomforthetuna posted:

And here it is, "2048 Birds of the Dead". http://www.kongregate.com/games/RavenBlackX/2048-birds-of-the-dead
I scored 13 before releasing it, 12 in the version that records the high score.

Played 3 games, managed to get the same high score of 12. I stopped playing because the coin placement script honestly needs some work; 2 out of 3 coins are impossible to get because they're right against the walls, either before or after. I'd much rather see fewer coins that are all possible to collect.

All that said, it's pretty good for what I assume is just a few hours of work.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

Where, praytell, did you get your wordlist?
It's a SOWPODS dictionary, stripped of all words that aren't 5-7 letters.

In my first two tests of the game, I got ORELEI on the owl as the second word (which I didn't know was a word), and then DONGS as the first word. Thanks, dictionary.

The King of Swag posted:

Played 3 games, managed to get the same high score of 12. I stopped playing because the coin placement script honestly needs some work; 2 out of 3 coins are impossible to get because they're right against the walls, either before or after. I'd much rather see fewer coins that are all possible to collect.

All that said, it's pretty good for what I assume is just a few hours of work.
Badly placed coins are all part of the game! Tempting you to suicide for that one extra coin, or tempting you into a line you can't recover from before you can see the next wall. But yeah, I can see why that aspect wouldn't necessarily appeal. :)

And nice to know someone else can score more than 2.

(And yes, it was from scratch, no libraries involved, in 3-4 hours for the first version and an extra 3-4 hours to add the "of the Dead", mostly spent wrangling the remote dictionary into place.)

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Does anyone have any experience with Construct 2? I've got a 2D pixel-art platformer I'm making and I'm in the air about whether to go that route or Unity. If you've used both, is there one you prefered over the other and if so, why?

The only code I know is ye olde HTML and CSS and a tiny bit of Java (but not javascript).

EDIT: I forgot I bought GTGD on Steam, recently, which is basically a 30 hour tutorial for Unity, so, it looks like my choice has been made for me, by me in the past.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 1, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Dodgeball posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Construct 2? I've got a 2D pixel-art platformer I'm making and I'm in the air about whether to go that route or Unity. If you've used both, is there one you prefered over the other and if so, why?

The only code I know is ye olde HTML and CSS and a tiny bit of Java (but not javascript).

EDIT: I forgot I bought GTGD on Steam, recently, which is basically a 30 hour tutorial for Unity, so, it looks like my choice has been made for me, by me in the past.

There is all game maker studio and Stencyl. Minecraft was written in Java. There are a billion and one game engines use the one that you are able to finish a game in. It doesn't matter what it is.

Personally I've ended up settling on Unity3d, but I'm a professional C# developer by trade so it was pretty natural choice. I did a little bit of XNA/Monogame in the past but Unity's asset store really sealed the deal for me personally.

The big deal new engine that became available cheaply is Unreal Engine 4. But it's C++ if and when you have to deal with code.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Hey, is anybody here doing stuff with AS3/Flixel? Cause I've got a question.

I wanna change the hitbox of the player character as he's going into a slide, but that and the offset it needs so that he doesn't levitate make him jump up and, on reverting back to his old hitbox, fall through the floor. like so:

if (FlxG.keys.justPressed("S"))
{
player.height = 5;
player.offset.y = 7;
}
if (FlxG.keys.justReleased("S"))
{
player.height = 13;
player.offset.y = 0;
}

anyone know how to do it better?

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
You'll also need to adjust the actual y value as well to avoid the problems you just said. The offset controls purely how the animation frames are arranged based on the hitbox: if you look at the scene with the debugger on (press ~) and click the box icon, it'll show the bounding boxes of sprites.

When standing back up you need to shift the y value of the sprite up. Otherwise, what's happening is your sprite is falling to its new position physically, while probably looking fine graphically, and when the height is changed it now exists partly shoved into the floor. Depending on the floor height involved this can mean you get the sprite falling through the floor like you do.

Similarly you need to move the y down when the sprite shrinks in size, but this isn't likely as noticeable as it'll fall to the ground within a few frames (or longer depending on your gravity) anyway.

The offset is purely for positioning sprite frames that are bigger than the hitbox is. If it helps, use makeGraphic instead of loading a graphic in just to visualise what's going on with the hitbox. Hope this helps!

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Oooh I getcha. If something's not where you want it to be, you just tell it to exist wherever you want it to be, in this case at a negative amount on the y axis equal to the pixels you shrinked it in size. And that Debugger is really really cool, I can see using this a lot in the future. Thank you very much!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Stick100 posted:

The big deal new engine that became available cheaply is Unreal Engine 4. But it's C++ if and when you have to deal with code.

For the record, modern C++ is a lot less scary than it once was. In particular, C++11's unique_ptr and shared_ptr have almost eliminated dynamic memory management.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

coffeetable posted:

For the record, modern C++ is a lot less scary than it once was. In particular, C++11's unique_ptr and shared_ptr have almost eliminated dynamic memory management.
Smart pointers are cool, but they've existed in codebases since well before C++11. They might be exclusively usable in the context of UE4 (ie. I'd sure as heck hope they are - can anyone comment on that? can you get away with NEVER doing manual alloc/dealloc?), but when you step outside of that into "just" C++11, don't you still have to do a lot of memory management yourself?

DirectX surfaces/buffers are what leap immediately to mind. Unless they changed the API substantially, you couldn't smart-pointer those at all. I assume there's plenty of other cases that you hit, any time you interface with something that does its own internal memory management. ODE did that, Havok, probably many AI libraries, etc, etc.

EDIT: VV Very cool!

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 3, 2014

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Unreal Engine 4 doesn't use any STL stuff, not even the new pointers. They have their own custom written smart pointers, and they have about 8 different kinds depending on if you are working with standard C++ objects or their UObject specific stuff - which uses a custom rolled garbage collector underneath.

So its a little bit more complicated than just use std::unique_ptr.

From the documentation:

For regular object pointers:
TAutoPtr
TRefCountPtr
TScopedPointer
TSharedPtr
TSharedRef
TUniquePtr

TWeakPtr

For UObject based pointers:
TAutoPointer
TAutoWeakObjectPtr
TWeakObjectPtr
TSubobjectPtr
TAssetPtr
TAssetSubclassOf
TLazyObjectPtr
TPersistentObjectPtr

That said, I've only seen a few of these used in the template game projects they have provided, and I'm uncertain exactly under what circumstances some of these should be used. But as you can see, it's complicated.

The ones in bold are the most often used.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 3, 2014

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Hey there.

I keep having flash coding related questions, and I don't wanna spam this thread like crazy. Think I should make an own thread, or just go for it right here?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Pizzatime posted:

Hey there.

I keep having flash coding related questions, and I don't wanna spam this thread like crazy. Think I should make an own thread, or just go for it right here?
Just ask in here duder.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Pizzatime posted:

Hey there.

I've been working with Flixel for longer than I want to think about. Ask away, I'd be happy to help out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

coffeetable posted:

I can't speak for how this applies to UE4, but shared_ptr is still subject to the serious drawback of circular references leaking memory. Earlier UE versions definitely betrayed that weakness in a few ways (i.e. Actor deletion was explicit, assigning dynamic arrays copied them, etc.)

There's also a subtler problem, which is that refcounting is very touchy in multithreaded scenarios if there's any contention over the pointer unless deletion can be deferred to a sync or very costly (and frequently patented) tricks are employed. Specifically, assigning to a pointer while another thread is copying it can briefly cause the refcount to be zero, and atomic increment/decrement alone can't prevent that.

e: I guess that might not entirely relate to what you're describing though. "Completely avoiding manual allocation" is not really practical because of scenarios like creating an object and assigning it to a reference of a base class, especially in earlier versions of C++ where forwarding constructor arguments isn't well-supported. Avoiding manual deallocation is usually easy enough though.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 4, 2014