Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Play on Casual and just don't use a character anymore if he gets killed once?
:hf:

420 play Fire Emblem Awakening on Easy + Casual errday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I've been trying out sketchy RPG Maker games on the train ride home for a couple of months now. Most are garbage, but every once in a while I run into something cool, like Exit Fate or Tales of the Drunken Paladin. Does anyone have a favorite they'd like to recommend? I prioritize good writing, and prefer games that don't pad things out with random battle filler.

Also, I really wish I'd gone with Casual for my Fire Emblem Awakening runthrough. It would have incentivized me to play much more dangerously, and not grind my characters into ridiculous powerhouses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Scenario is by the same guy who did Exit Fate, and has about the same flaws and strengths, though the systems are different.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I finally have some free time to play some RPGs rather than just talking about them. I noticed KoTOR is on Steam, I played it ages ago, does it still hold up pretty well? I remember liking it a lot, but rose colored glasses and all.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

MegaGatts posted:

I finally have some free time to play some RPGs rather than just talking about them. I noticed KoTOR is on Steam, I played it ages ago, does it still hold up pretty well? I remember liking it a lot, but rose colored glasses and all.

I played Kotor 1 like 2-3 years ago and it seemed fairly entertaining. The plot got kind of dumb at the end and there were some really dumb mandatory puzzles, but most of the game was fun. Really enjoyed the sidequest where you play detective interviewing witnesses to a crime after getting your force powers.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

avoraciopoctules posted:

I played Kotor 1 like 2-3 years ago and it seemed fairly entertaining. The plot got kind of dumb at the end and there were some really dumb mandatory puzzles, but most of the game was fun. Really enjoyed the sidequest where you play detective interviewing witnesses to a crime after getting your force powers.

I don't really remember the puzzles, but I do remember that side quest. That's the reason I'm thinking of replaying it weirdly enough.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

I've been trying out sketchy RPG Maker games on the train ride home for a couple of months now. Most are garbage, but every once in a while I run into something cool, like Exit Fate or Tales of the Drunken Paladin. Does anyone have a favorite they'd like to recommend? I prioritize good writing, and prefer games that don't pad things out with random battle filler.

Also, I really wish I'd gone with Casual for my Fire Emblem Awakening runthrough. It would have incentivized me to play much more dangerously, and not grind my characters into ridiculous powerhouses.

I've rather enjoyed what I've played of Star Stealing Prince. It's made with RPG Maker VX, though, so I believe it'll only work on Windows, if that's a concern.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Anybody have any thoughts on Arcanum? I've been on a bit of an isometric CRPG binge lately and was thinking of pickup it up.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TheIllestVillain posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on Arcanum? I've been on a bit of an isometric CRPG binge lately and was thinking of pickup it up.

Oh people would probably have a lot of thoughts on it. A very ambitious game that has lots of interesting things to do, though combat is very heavily skewed towards certain overpowered abilities and can get a bit annoying instead of interesting. I enjoyed it when it came out certainly, but it hasn't aged very well in terms of interface. Worth it at the price being asked though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh my gaaaawwwd, I hope they use the EU version. It's a crime that a game this good is not readily available.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

avoraciopoctules posted:

I came across a list of 4chan's videogame board recommended RPG maker games here a while ago

I've only really played Exit Fate but there are a few that have always seemed interesting to me, particularly Alter AILA Genesis, the Barkley game, the Yume Nikki type games, The Way and Legion Saga

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Play on Casual and just don't use a character anymore if he gets killed once?

This is the solution that might result in playing FE:A on the 3DS again. I got to a battle where it was impossible to Dark Souls it slow just right to not lose someone, got frustrated from trying it over and over and said gently caress it. Haven't played since. Gonna go ahead and do Casual Mode with 'don't use when injured' as a rule. Will probably not follow it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

On a whim I fired up FFII on my Vita, and I found it to be a pretty enjoyable game the second time around. Once you know that evasion is far, far more important than armor values, and adjust your equipment accordingly, you can plow through most of the game with no grinding whatsoever. Also had a lot of fun turning all the mobs and bosses into frogs. Finished the game with everyone except Leon at less than 1000 max HP, and I didn't even have to cheese the final boss with the Blood sword.

Heh, take that FFII. You're not as hard as I reme-

Final Fantasy II posted:

Easy mode completed. Normal mode unlocked.

:saddowns:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like FFII's idea, of things getting stronger the more you use them, it's just so poorly done. Evasion being miles better than physical defense, or how each spell requires hundreds of castings to make them stronger, ugh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I like FFII's idea, of things getting stronger the more you use them, it's just so poorly done. Evasion being miles better than physical defense, or how each spell requires hundreds of castings to make them stronger, ugh.

You got Ultima!

Now back to using melee attacks because its shamefully bad.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Morpheus posted:

It's actually not as tedious if you forgo grinding and just cast spells in battle. And make sure you don't run from battles. If your spell is at a low level, you get an experience bonus on it for the first casting in each battle. MP is tight in the beginning, but before long you'll be drowning in gil to buy Ethers because none of the equipment is worth buying. I managed to get Toad and Holy up to level 9 just by casting them as I needed them, and you really don't need spells to get any higher in level than that. If you get impatient and grind a spell with that command cancelling trick, then yeah it's going to be horrible.

The evasion vs physical defense thing is really goddamn stupid though.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

TheIllestVillain posted:

On a lark, I created a dwarven engineer type character. Very early on, he suffered a disfiguring injury in battle, on top of not being terribly handsome to begin with. The rest of the game, he was met with "Oh dear God, what the hell are you???" type of greeting each time he approached someone. It was amazing.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

TheIllestVillain posted:

If you're on windows 8 it requires a ton of work to get it playable. Other than that, I feel it's a game that deserves to be played at least once if you're an RPG fan.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone in our dungeon crawler crowd try Demon Gaze yet on the Vita?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I haven't myself, but the consensus from all discussion I've seen in the Vita thread is that it's pretty middle of the road. Not worth full price, at least.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
But it has an underwear slot on the equipment screen :(

Yeah it looks like standard fare dungeon crawling from the random youtubes I'm watching. I'm kind of curious if the mechanics scale at all because I have a serious hate for dungeon crawlers that can't scale in difficulty.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's alright. I assumed people were being thin skinned when they complained about the fanservice but it's pretty in your face which is kind of weird but whatever. Mechanically it's alright but you don't even get a full party since it cost 1500gold (which is alot at the start) to make a new guy and give them a room which sucks.

It also has a dark souls style message system and pretty much every message is really loving creepy since they let you choose words like "moe" and "sexy" and I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

Wait till it's like half off. or a PSN freebie unless you're just dying for a decent dungeon crawler.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It also has a dark souls style message system and pretty much every message is really loving creepy since they let you choose words like "moe" and "sexy" and I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.
Warning, sexy trap ahead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

But it has an underwear slot on the equipment screen :(

Yeah it looks like standard fare dungeon crawling from the random youtubes I'm watching. I'm kind of curious if the mechanics scale at all because I have a serious hate for dungeon crawlers that can't scale in difficulty.

They don't really. The game is either super-easy or you hit a roadblock that, once you get past it, is super easy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

They don't really. The game is either super-easy or you hit a roadblock that, once you get past it, is super easy.
Lame, thanks for the heads up. I'll ignore it for now.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Has this ever been a good idea? We can't deny that all RPG elements contain some element of Skinner-style reward, and I don't think repetitive, unfun behavior is the kind of thing we want to reward. You're incentivizing players to stand around forging a million iron daggers or hitting themselves over the head when they could be out exploring or taking on challenges.

In raw gameplay terms, you also make it difficult to introduce new abilities (rather than a numeric progression of damage numbers) and merge the interesting questions of "How do I want to use my toolbox to deal with the situation at hand" and "How do I want to upgrade my toolbox" into one question. This can often discourage players from experimenting with abilities, as

You use your strongest ability to win fights -> That ability gets stronger -> You use your strongest ability to win fights

In the end, you want to reward things like "you found the secret temple" or "you ended the hostage crisis" over things like "you fired x bullets from your gun". Actually, you could probably incorporate "use it to get stronger" elements via gating (e.g. you have to forge unique lower-tier armors before forging higher-tier armors or defeat a master swordsman to learn new sword skills) or Alpha Protocol-style perks, but both of those have their own problems.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Microcline posted:

Has this ever been a good idea? We can't deny that all RPG elements contain some element of Skinner-style reward, and I don't think repetitive, unfun behavior is the kind of thing we want to reward. You're incentivizing players to stand around forging a million iron daggers or hitting themselves over the head when they could be out exploring or taking on challenges.
It actually has worked! The key, as demonstrated in Front Mission Gun Hazard, is that you can't tie repetitive use to progression. Each individual item had a mastery score and the more you used it, the stronger it got: guns got more ammo, faster reload, higher rates of fire, and did more damage the more you attacked; jump jets lasted longer and granted better control the more you used them; mech frames got more HP and increased defense the more you got hit.

At the same time, you could forgo all that and just buy the next-tier item and get very much the same effect. The Lv.1 Vulcan gun was, at 100% proficiency, about 1.2x stronger than the Lv.2 Vulcan at 0% proficiency, and this was generally the case with every weapon tier. It was never necessary to grind any guns up and you usually got enough money doing each stage once to keep your equipment up-to-date (though you probably had to grind to keep your AI/2P companions' loadouts updated). The whole thing was treated as icing rather than the actual meat of the math, and therein lies the secret to making usage-based proficiency systems work: you need to treat them as a nice bonus on top rather than a necessity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It actually has worked! The key, as demonstrated in Front Mission Gun Hazard, is that you can't tie repetitive use to progression. Each individual item had a mastery score and the more you used it, the stronger it got: guns got more ammo, faster reload, higher rates of fire, and did more damage the more you attacked; jump jets lasted longer and granted better control the more you used them; mech frames got more HP and increased defense the more you got hit.

At the same time, you could forgo all that and just buy the next-tier item and get very much the same effect. The Lv.1 Vulcan gun was, at 100% proficiency, about 1.2x stronger than the Lv.2 Vulcan at 0% proficiency, and this was generally the case with every weapon tier. It was never necessary to grind any guns up and you usually got enough money doing each stage once to keep your equipment up-to-date (though you probably had to grind to keep your AI/2P companions' loadouts updated). The whole thing was treated as icing rather than the actual meat of the math, and therein lies the secret to making usage-based proficiency systems work: you need to treat them as a nice bonus on top rather than a necessity.

Yeah, I think those mechanics work if they're not the ONLY mechanic for progression and if you balance it well enough that one doesn't eclipse the other. Rewarding players for picking a playstyle is nice but not if it locks them into it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think those mechanics work if they're not the ONLY mechanic for progression and if you balance it well enough that one doesn't eclipse the other. Rewarding players for picking a playstyle is nice but not if it locks them into it.

Yeah, this. I think one of the worst offenders for this is a game called Odium, a tactical survival horror game. You walked around an isometric map, got into pre-determined battles (of which there were a limited amount), tried to conserve bullets and health in your party, etc. They had a system where you got better at a class of weapon the more you used it. Unfortunately, there were only so many battles in the game, and only so many bullets. So you basically had to choose a weapon for each of your guys to get strong in, and if they ever deviated (or ran out of ammo), they'd be useless, with no way to get them back up to speed.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

That's kind of how the original Xanadu worked. The main difference though was that it sounds like upgrading your equipment was much harsher--that is a 100% dagger is going to be twice as powerful as a 0% Short Sword, but a 100% Short Sword is going to be at least twice as powerful as a 100% dagger, if not more. So there were periods of time after you upgraded your stuff to the next tier where you'd be substantially weaker than before, though you'd get up to speed pretty quickly. It actually ended up working really well. Ironically it's one of the first, if not the first, RPGs to use that sort of progression (it came out in 1985) and still does it worlds better than just about anything to follow it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I liked this when I played it. The two systems were really symbiotic and played in to each other; if you could afford the next item, you got a boost in potential. If you couldn't afford it, the scaling would carry you for at least one more mission.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Return To Krondor Question.

The thief known by the alias Whisper gives you an amulet to give to his former love. I assume that she lives in the town infested with vampires. I found his grave but not her. Where is she?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So whatever happened to that HD remake of Pier Solar? Last I read it was coming to various platforms midway through April, but since that's basically come and gone I can't find anything else on it. I didn't back it so perhaps it was discussed in a backer update or something similar.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's still kicking. Dunno about release dates anymore, but Tulio posted a think on Kickstarter on April 2 about he managed to get aspect-correct widescreen going in the DC version.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
so question for you gentlemen and ladies,

I'm looking for a new RPG to play. I usually like action RPGs like The Witcher or Turn based strategic RPGs like Dragon Age.

here's the kicker, I hate Japanese over emoted acting. Like Final Fantasy series.. or like this.

I prefer very dark and serious type settings that's almost like a book for developement and story. Also, are there any mech type turn based RPGs?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I prefer very dark and serious type settings that's almost like a book for developement and story. Also, are there any mech type turn based RPGs?

Dude. I think you'd love Xenogears.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Bionic Dues is turn-based, has RPG elements, and you control a team of mechs.

It's not very story-focused or serious though. WHY WAS I PROGRAMMED TO FEEL PAIN

The Front Mission series is pretty solid too, although not new.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also, are there any mech type turn based RPGs?

As mentioned, Front Mission. Grab Front Mission 5 for PS2 and the English patch for it. Also play Gun Hazard on SNES, it's a side scrolling action RPG and probably my favorite game on the system.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Front Mission 3 was the best game in the series but Japan hated it for trying to innovate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also, are there any mech type turn based RPGs?

By turn-based RPG do you mean SRPGs ala Final Fantasy Tactics? If so I'm going to reiterate that you please check out Front Mission. It's the best SRPG series and it's entirely mech vs mech with a few exceptions (lots of enemies use apcs, tanks, helicopters, etc., and sometimes pilots ping your mech armor with their sidearms after ejecting). Their plots are also pretty solid and definitely fall in the more serious realm of things.

Front Mission 3 is an excellent smaller-scale title for the PSX. Front Mission 4 and 5 for the PS2 are both solid games, but I'd strongly recommend grabbing the fan translation and a copy of FM5. It's a full game translation too, and very well done.

e: new page? anyone who hasn't played fm5 watch this fan translation trailer (ft. awesome music) and then go play it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt3jHkyFKJ4

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 29, 2014