Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sonata Mused posted:

Man, I still can't find a tower defense game that sits really well for me. Does anyone have any recent recommendations in that field?

Which ones have you played? Kingdom Rush is a pretty popular one, though it has its flaws (missions feel a little too long, and it seems to drain my battery pretty quick)

Tornhelm posted:

With the Phoenix, you're better off starting with the middle tile because it takes out two other potential tiles (top left and bottom right) before removing the tiles from either of those quadrants.

Oh duh, why didn't I think of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Sonata Mused posted:

Man, I still can't find a tower defense game that sits really well for me. Does anyone have any recent recommendations in that field?

Kingdom Rush, Kingdom Frontier, and Bloom TD 5 are my favorites.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Gemcraft: Labyrinth is colossal and allows you to bend it over your knee after you figure it out.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I'm saving up for the last area on Disco Zoo and I've had a ton of fun playing it for the last week or two so gently caress all y'all haters. There is a level of skill involved; would you say there is no skill in Battleship?

Jul 20, 2006
I recently grabbed Age of Thrones from the store and it seems a solid tower defence game.

Looks really sharp, no IAPs, plenty of upgrades etc etc

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'm saving up for the last area on Disco Zoo and I've had a ton of fun playing it for the last week or two so gently caress all y'all haters. There is a level of skill involved; would you say there is no skill in Battleship?

I don't care either way about Disco Zoo, but uhh... no? You randomly try coordinates until you happen to hit something, then you walk in each direction until you hit the rest of it, and when you've hit all the things before the other person has hit all the things you are the winner.

I guess there might be some interesting statistical models you can apply to play the optimal game of Battleship, for most people you just play with the little boats and try to put the other person off with your poker face

Sonata Mused posted:

There's a ton of them, what exactly are you looking for, or what is it about stuff you've tried that's missed the mark?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Drunk Tomato posted:

Nice straw man. Battleship has nothing to do with Disco Zoo. How does a bizzare Michael Bay action movie with the singer from TLC and Channing Tatum have anything to do with a time sink of an app that is nothing more than an office job of busy work?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Sonata Mused posted:

Bloons TD5
Sentinel
Radiant
Grave Defense
Guns And Glory
The Creeps - Personal favorite.

Cryohazard posted:

Gemcraft: Labyrinth is colossal and allows you to bend it over your knee after you figure it out.

What?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Malt posted:

Kingdom Rush, Kingdom Frontier, and Bloom TD 5 are my favorites.

Beat them all. They weren't quite what I was looking for, but they were pretty good.

I guess the thing that a lot of the ones I played had that I didn't like was where it got impossible without IAP or "the perfect strategy".

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nice straw man. Battleship has nothing to do with Disco Zoo. How does a bizzare Michael Bay action movie with the singer from TLC and Channing Tatum have anything to do with a time sink of an app that is nothing more than an office job of busy work?

I retract all arguments.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sonata Mused posted:

Beat them all. They weren't quite what I was looking for, but they were pretty good.

I guess the thing that a lot of the ones I played had that I didn't like was where it got impossible without IAP or "the perfect strategy".

I have no idea how it compares to other tower defense games and it's years old (I played it on my OG Droid) but I've enjoyed Crystallight Defense. It's $2, and it's got a trial version. No IAP or any of that crap, just a fun little game that I became kind of addicted to.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=smpxg.crystallight

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

I guess he's referring to the open dune port https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamesinjs.dune2

And hopefully this means openra will also get ported

Bingo, but it's perfect as well. Works surprisingly well on a tablet as well.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I'll check out all the recommends on my next long break. Thanks for the help!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
As for the whole Disco Zoo thing, I've been playing it a decent amount since it came out. I don't think it's a particularly deep game by any means, but for a dude like me who honestly kinda hates interacting with mobile gaming due to the form factor, it does a good job of keeping me idly entertained. The fact I can feel mildly clever after 30 seconds on interaction works nicely for my mindset.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Aside from the save reset (atm I'm on a relative better situation than before aside from not having yetis yet), Disco Zoo has been ok for a game to play in between classes or to tinker with while either at a skype chat or listening to a podcast. Compound it with something like Happy Street, and it's a good combination to bounce between getting stuff being made on HS and do the occasional rescue batch on DZ!

Honestly looking forward to Calculords being ported to Android. Does anyone here think that Seanbaby kind of based that game on the Pizza Eating Contest from Yo Noid?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I find it funny that some people say there is no skill in the Disco Zoo puzzles, yet they say have to watch videos to progress. Maybe you just fail at basic deductive reasoning?

And gently caress the developer for having a revenue stream, right? How dare he expect compensation for his work!

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Ok, I finally got a win out of 2048. What's my next quick pick up/put down, low-concentration-required puzzle game?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Room?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Played both of them, they were great.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Spirits is a pretty good casual Lemmings clone.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Rapner posted:

I find it funny that some people say there is no skill in the Disco Zoo puzzles, yet they say have to watch videos to progress. Maybe you just fail at basic deductive reasoning?

And gently caress the developer for having a revenue stream, right? How dare he expect compensation for his work!

Grade school level reasoning is nothing to brag about? They put in a bare-bones 'game' to try and hook rubes like you into paying them money. And I really don't care if the developer of some dumb IAP treadmill gets paid or not.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Holy poo poo why is this even being argued about at all much less for multiple pages. If you don't like it just move on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

victorious posted:

Ok, I finally got a win out of 2048. What's my next quick pick up/put down, low-concentration-required puzzle game?

I said it once and I'll say it again. Dungeon18 and Retro RPG Puzzle are pretty good in my book.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

I think we should keep discussing the meaning of what is considered a game in this android thread.
Let's talk about spot the difference games, that stuff is grade school level garbage, look at one picture then look at the other and point out the difference! How dare they!

Actual content, I know this comes up a bunch but are there any worthwhile TGC's out that don't feel like they're just trying to rob you?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trickyrive posted:

Actual content, I know this comes up a bunch but are there any worthwhile TGC's out that don't feel like they're just trying to rob you?

Card City Nights. You can also wait a couple of months for Hearthstone.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Trickyrive posted:

Check out Card City Nights. It plays like the FF9 card game where you would line up cards on the board and they do actions based on where they are placed. It has a story you progress though rather than just playing a one off computer AI. I can't remember if there were any IAP, but they are definitely not required to advance if there were.

Edit: Beat ^^

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Paladinus posted:

I said it once and I'll say it again. Dungeon18 and Retro RPG Puzzle are pretty good in my book.

Couldn't find Dungeon18 and had to look for Retro RPG Puzzle (quest) but that one's quite fun, like a faster paced Dungeon Raid without the match three.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Malt posted:

Check out Card City Nights. It plays like the FF9 card game where you would line up cards on the board and they do actions based on where they are placed. It has a story you progress though rather than just playing a one off computer AI. I can't remember if there were any IAP, but they are definitely not required to advance if there were.

Edit: Beat ^^

I don't "get" CCN. When deckbuilding, am I supposed to focus on one of the three attributes, or have a mix? Also it seems to benefit from having more cards in the deck, since it seems crazy difficult to attack cards enough to lock an opponent down?

Any tips?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Couldn't find Dungeon18 and had to look for Retro RPG Puzzle (quest) but that one's quite fun, like a faster paced Dungeon Raid without the match three.

This'n?

It's not your fault; using standard Google search for "[title] site:play.google.com" is about ten times more successful than the form on play.google.com or the Play Store on an Android device.

Google has no excuse for this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's weird.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qqhouse.dungeon18
Can you see it now? It'd be strange if it wasn't available in some countries or on certain devices for some reason.

E: beaten. I can find with Play search, by the way :shrug:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Paladinus posted:

That's weird.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qqhouse.dungeon18
Can you see it now? It'd be strange if it wasn't available in some countries or on certain devices for some reason.

E: beaten. I can find with Play search, by the way :shrug:

For me, searching for "dungeon18" worked but "dungeon 18" did not. :shrug:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Search is a hard problem. You can't expect an advertising company like Google to get it right.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

This'n?

It's not your fault; using standard Google search for "[title] site:play.google.com" is about ten times more successful than the form on play.google.com or the Play Store on an Android device.

Google has no excuse for this.

Nope, that's on me, I saw Blockee Quest and immediately dismissed it.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Search is a hard problem. You can't expect an advertising company like Google to get it right.

:master:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So Baldur's Gate and Dune 2 got me thinking about what other games would be awesome on a tablet.

How about Jagged Alliance 2?

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=301066&page=1

I don't have time to test it out today, but apparently this works really well.

Between BG, Dune 2 and Jagged Alliance, what else would you want on a tablet?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
A command and conquer game would be pretty cool. Dune 2 is a bit low res. I'm having trouble seeing if my guys are actually shooting at enemies or not.

Going to give JA2 a go asap.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Are there any other good RTS (not tower defense) games on Android, on that note? Preferably not lousy with IAPs?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ovaries posted:

Are there any other good RTS (not tower defense) games on Android, on that note? Preferably not lousy with IAPs?
Wesnoth. XCOM. Shadowrun.

All three allow you to have persistent characters as you progress, too.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Wesnoth. XCOM. Shadowrun.

Every one of those is turn-based tho. I mean something along the lines of a Command and Conquer or Starcraft.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I belatedly realized that sorry. For some reason I was thinking turn-based.

Majesty is realtime! And I fuckin' loooove sandw-Majesty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Z:Origins is pretty cool, another port of an ancient game. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.kavcom.ZOrigins
Also, Rymdkapsel is a charming short game, it was part of a humble-bundle deal about half a year back. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grapefrukt.games.rymdkapsel1
Eufloria is also an RTS-like game. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.omnilabs.eufloria
Auralux is similar https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wardrumstudios.auralux

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 28, 2014

• Locked thread