Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

neetengie posted:

Yes. First he needs to get his rear end off by lighting the sconce, then go to Iron Keep for the ember.

OK that makes sense, haven't ventured out there yet.

What's up with those groaning trees in the misty woods, does something happen when you hit them besides their discomfort? I haven't really stuck around in that area to find out, I basically just sprinted around to find all the items/chests there and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
Is there a closer bonfire to the Lost Bastille boss? It feels like no matter which one I use I have to fight through a ton of chaff and get worn down a bunch before even reaching the boss.

Also, what's the preferred way to get effigies? I'm getting real tired of losing my HP and making everything more difficult.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

neetengie posted:

Dual Wielding can lead to Powerstances which offer varied movesets. Also infuse that BK Halberd with Fire for maximum efficiency. McDuff can sell you unlimited Large Shards.
Are they better at poise-breaking or something? 2-handing a single weapon seems to make much more efficient use of stamina.

I have no idea what infusing is and McDuff just mumbles about his ember. I'm tempted to end my blindrun because I spent 2 more hours today backtracking in search of things, banging my head against locked doors hasn't exactly been fun. I'm sure I can finish the game with the black knight halberd, but at this point I feel like I'm just getting the blindrun 'over with' because it isn't enjoyable anymore.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Smash Daisaku posted:

Is there a closer bonfire to the Lost Bastille boss? It feels like no matter which one I use I have to fight through a ton of chaff and get worn down a bunch before even reaching the boss.

Also, what's the preferred way to get effigies? I'm getting real tired of losing my HP and making everything more difficult.

You can get effigies reasonably often by killing dogs, there's a bunch in the Bastille you can wind up killing over and over.

But human effigies are really a lousy way for turning human. Use your small white sign soapstone. You get summoned for a few minutes to help someone, or until they earn a certain amount of souls. As long as you survive to the end of either, you get your humanity back, you get full estus charges, all your items are repaired, and you even get a free shiny pebble out of the deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Smash Daisaku posted:

Assuming you're talking about The Sentinels, the closest bonfire is the The Tower Apart. If you haven't that one yet Go back to where you fought Pursuer in the Woods. Go to the area behind his boss arena and look around to your right for a nest. Interact with it, and a bird will bring you to it. You still have to fight through some fodder, but not nearly as much.

Edit: Also if you're running low on effigies you go back to being human if you successfully complete a co-op session.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sanctum posted:

Are they better at poise-breaking or something? 2-handing a single weapon seems to make much more efficient use of stamina.

I have no idea what infusing is and McDuff just mumbles about his ember. I'm tempted to end my blindrun because I spent 2 more hours today backtracking in search of things, banging my head against locked doors hasn't exactly been fun. I'm sure I can finish the game with the black knight halberd, but at this point I feel like I'm just getting the blindrun 'over with' because it isn't enjoyable anymore.

Just explore more, you can do it. Since it seems like you're in Brightcove, what other places have you been in.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So for anyone playing without a shield, how did you deal with the Chariot? I only tried it twice but both times I got my poo poo wrecked because I didn't have any way to avoid damage when hiding. The skeleton swarm just picked me apart. I'm gonna assume that when it comes to the chariot it doesn't matter how sick your dodging skills are and if you try to roll through it you're just gonna be wrecked right?

EDIT: Its probably just because I played with a keyboard for so long, but I can't stand playing with a controller. I tried it out for a bit then went back to my keyboard controls because I'm so accustomed to them now.

Find the 2 necromancer dudes. Killing them also kills the skeletons, and after that you shouldn't have any problems.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cowcaster posted:

If you can type out the directions I'd love to hear it. All the bosses in the Bastille are long dead as far as I know.

Basically you need to go to the bonfire after the Ruin Sentinels (called Servants' Quarters). Go up the stairs, out the door and into the tower on your right. Go up the big round staircase and into the room full of barrels. Exit this room and follow the corridors. When you get to the room with the big ceramic containers/statue things, go up the steps into the room above. Go through the door that's under the set of steps in front of you. Get in the cage that looks like an iron maiden. There will be a room with a chest and an illusory wall across from the chest next to the pit (I'll admit I've never tried to open it from this side).

Head right (don't climb the ladder to your left, it puts you back by McDuff), use the lockstone for more treasure if you want. Exit the room, break through the crates and stuff, then go right off the ledge and exit through the door. Go straight through the next door, break the boards covering the big arched doorway in the room.

YOU ARE OFFICIALLY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BASTILLE (there's a ladder you can use to get up to another bonfire and the area you'd normally see coming from No Man's Wharf) :yayclod:

(If you've found/un-petrified him already, you can also just go to the Straid's Cell bonfire and down the stairs, then through that same door for a shorter trip.)

There's a lot of enemies on the way that I didn't mention, so be ready!!

Roobanguy posted:

Find the 2 necromancer dudes. Killing them also kills the skeletons, and after that you shouldn't have any problems.

Killing them does not kill the skeletons, it only keeps them from resurrecting after they're killed. Granted the chariot will do the work usually.

If you have the INT I highly recommend the Yearn spell for keeping them off your back while you focus on the necromancers and hiding from the chariot.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 28, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I gotta preface this: I really like this game, and it's a great improvement over Dark Souls 1 mechanics wise. But as a complete package it's more than a little disappointing simply due to the failures on the level design front. I feel like I've been fighting more or less the same enemies all game, bosses are all some variant of big armored melee motherfucker, areas are disjointed and make no sense in the context of each other. This feeds into the lore issues. These places aren't really fun to explore because they just don't mean anything like Lordran did. There's no personality to it, no logic. It's just really disappointing after Dark Souls 1 oozed atmosphere. :(

My reaction to collecting one of the Four Great Souls shouldn't be surprise that that was one of them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sanctum posted:

Have you at least lit the torch in McDuff's workshop? Also, he needs an item. You'll find it in an area who's theme can be described as "Bowser's Castle".

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Killing them does not kill the skeletons, it only keeps them from resurrecting after they're killed. Granted the chariot will do the work usually.

I've ran past them without hitting a single one and and attacked the necromancers and all the skeletons died even without the chariot hitting them. :shrug:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

doctor 7 posted:

Alright goons.

I miss my longsword and claymore moveset where I could sword and board and have a sweeping (R1) attack but also a thrusting (R2) attack. Is there a weapon like that in Dark Souls 2 I should be going after or should I just stick with the mace because god drat it's amazing.
Welcome to the club! (no pun intended)

If you really want you can stick with the longsword. It is still good despite being vanilla as gently caress and not as fun to watch as a huge fuckoff weapon. Yeah, the moveset is kinda sucky but after playing with it for nearly 30 hours I have concluded the 1H R2 is as good as 2H R1'ing, so basically you never have to 2-hand the thing except if you want/need the thrust attack in tight quarters. Oh, and the sweep is much wider at least. That's the only consolation I can give you.

Trust me, I ran with a Longsword in DS1 as well and loved the moveset. The closest thing is the shortsword in terms of moveset. Or if you can get your hands on a Claymore, you have a 1H R2 thrust attack. Just be warned there is no followup and long recovery to that R2 if you plan to use that unlike the Shortsword that feels closer to the moveset you want.

That being said for most of the starting area, if you have a mace or something it feels much easier since you run up against a metric fuckton of armoured enemies that laugh at slash/thrust damage.

0lives posted:

SL 91 and I only just found Huntman's Copse. :cripes: God dammit.
Same, me too. I just lost 20k souls and at this point in my journey that is maybe one level, two if I popped a soul. Won't miss it much. But I feel like leveling is really fast this game. I swear most boss kills will give you 4-5 if not 7 levels at times in terms of souls they give you from the kill alone.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
(Iron Keep spoilers ahead)

Smelter Demon is such a poo poo fight. I sat waiting in front of his room for someone to summon me for co-op, and any time I did get summoned the fight was typically over in around 15 seconds with the world master getting one-shotted. Then I finally get a guy who brings Lucatiel along, who tanks the entire fight while we poo poo all over him with soul arrows. Easy kill, and now I'm human. So, I pull up Lucatiel and another spirit and charge in there, only this time she never shows up. So it's just me and pubbie, who gets one shot at around 75% health, and then I get pounded shortly thereafter. What the gently caress? Was there a reason why she didn't zone into the fight?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

I've ran past them without hitting a single one and and attacked the necromancers and all the skeletons died even without the chariot hitting them. :shrug:

I don't know, I'm just going by how skeletons normally work in the game. Usually killing the necromancer isn't enough, maybe the boss fight is special but they didn't die for me.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Smash Daisaku posted:

There's actually an even faster route than what Sydin said. If you've been through area before the ruins sentinels once, you might've noticed a seemingly useless door. You can actually jump in through that door from a ledge close to another bonfire, with a bit of daring.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

beefart posted:

(Iron Keep spoilers ahead)

Smelter Demon is such a poo poo fight. I sat waiting in front of his room for someone to summon me for co-op, and any time I did get summoned the fight was typically over in around 15 seconds with the world master getting one-shotted. Then I finally get a guy who brings Lucatiel along, who tanks the entire fight while we poo poo all over him with soul arrows. Easy kill, and now I'm human. So, I pull up Lucatiel and another spirit and charge in there, only this time she never shows up. So it's just me and pubbie, who gets one shot at around 75% health, and then I get pounded shortly thereafter. What the gently caress? Was there a reason why she didn't zone into the fight?
Lucatiel has bad AI, make sure that she follows you directly to the fog door or she'll get stuck on corners and pebbles.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I gotta preface this: I really like this game, and it's a great improvement over Dark Souls 1 mechanics wise. But as a complete package it's more than a little disappointing simply due to the failures on the level design front. I feel like I've been fighting more or less the same enemies all game, bosses are all some variant of big armored melee motherfucker, areas are disjointed and make no sense in the context of each other. This feeds into the lore issues. These places aren't really fun to explore because they just don't mean anything like Lordran did. There's no personality to it, no logic. It's just really disappointing after Dark Souls 1 oozed atmosphere. :(

My reaction to collecting one of the Four Great Souls shouldn't be surprise that that was one of them.

I totally agree with this. The gameplay, mechanics and pretty much everything else is an improvement (especially the multiplayer, the phantoms gameplay is phenomenal), but the world and monster designs aren't as good as the original. You gain some, you lose some. Lordran just has that omniscience about it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I kill Rats better, ugh.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What sort of weapons are best for a poison or bleed infusion?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I totally agree with this. The gameplay, mechanics and pretty much everything else is an improvement (especially the multiplayer, the phantoms gameplay is phenomenal), but the world and monster designs aren't as good as the original. You gain some, you lose some. Lordran just has that omniscience about it.

I think you meant something else but yeah just...the overall lack of intelligence of design in the world itself was a big letdown for me. That was a big part of what made Dark Souls, Dark Souls for me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I've burned a fuckload of cracked reds because every time I invade the loving fun police show up.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I played through Dark Souls as a tanky shield guy and started this game the same, but on a whim I just repecced into a chime+1-handed sword Faith build.

It feels so wrong to not have a shield in my hand. That said, slinging lightning and dodging feels way more proactive. With 20 Adaptability rolling isn't quite as difficult as it looked. Licia thought my Faith was rad and gave me all sorts of gear. Thanks, Licia. You're still creepy, but thanks.

This game continues to be a blast.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
How does the Black Witch Staff hold up vs a Sunset Staff and Caitha's Chime? One item to that can do staff hexes and chime hexes seems boss.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

I've burned a fuckload of cracked reds because every time I invade the loving fun police show up.

When I burned all my red eye orbs, a blue phantom only appeared once. That ended up being a detriment to the host because it made him over confident and he charged me with all 10% health he had left and died before the phantom even got out of his spawn animation.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I played through Dark Souls as a tanky shield guy and started this game the same, but on a whim I just repecced into a chime+1-handed sword Faith build.

It feels so wrong to not have a shield in my hand. That said, slinging lightning and dodging feels way more proactive. With 20 Adaptability rolling isn't quite as difficult as it looked. Licia thought my Faith was rad and gave me all sorts of gear. Thanks, Licia. You're still creepy, but thanks.

This game continues to be a blast.

You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes with her. :v:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Also: Dark souls two is pissing me off with these enemies who literally turn to face you before during and after their attacks.

They're like doom sprites. They're never NOT facing you. Makes it difficult to dex build.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wave if you see me at the bellfry! I'm the one with the stupid hat.

While I agree to this too some extent, I don't think you're being fair to this game. Especially when it comes to bosses. The boss fights in this game are more frequent and better than the ones in DS1. I'm not sure what makes you say they are all big armoured meelee dudes, but hey if we're gonna generalize lets look at the first few bosses of Dark Souls;

-Giant melee demon
-ANOTHER giant melee demon
-Two melee gargoyles
-An rear end in a top hat butterfly
-YET ANOTHER giant melee demon
-Giant melee dragon
-Giant melee spider

A grand total of one of those doesn't have a melee focus. Most of them are still fun fights though, and the same applies to DS 2.

As for the lore, I wouldn't judge the game until you've played an explored more. Remember that the lore in these games is told through pretty subtle means, a lot coming from item descriptions. You won't learn what a lot of the bosses and areas are for until you examine their souls and the weapons they make. The major fault I find in this game compared to Dark Souls is that Dangleic doesn't feel connected properly, while everything in Lordran lined up near perfectly. There was a definite sense of progression in Dark Souls. You could see how one area lead into another. I don't get that same feeling with Drangleic. Most areas don't link together in any way.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

How does the Black Witch Staff hold up vs a Sunset Staff and Caitha's Chime? One item to that can do staff hexes and chime hexes seems boss.

iirc Caitha's Chime is the second best Hex chime when infused with dark and maxed out, Black Witch just seems like something to use if you're not a dedicated user of a certain spell type.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

neetengie posted:

iirc Caitha's Chime is the second best Hex chime when infused with dark and maxed out, Black Witch just seems like something to use if you're not a dedicated user of a certain spell type.
I'd argue that Caitha's is better because of its better cast speed. In fact, I think Caitha's and Chime of Want have the same dark damage at Dark +10.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Caitha's Chime fully upgraded and infused with dark is much better for hexes (pretty close to the best). I like the Black Witch's Staff because I switch off between sorcery/miracles a lot and I don't get stuck constantly switching weapons. But I save Caitha for my hexes.

I didn't like Sunset Staff personally.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's the best chime for miracles?

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Yeah, I'm of the same mind. I remember being legitimately enthralled with Lordran, it's history, mythology, etc. I ate up all the item descriptions and lore theorizing - the world was just so well realized. gently caress, the intro cinematic of DS1, seeing the four Lords, dragons, the Furtive Pygmy, it was mysterious and really set you up to be engaged with everything.

To me, DS2 lacks that cohesive, interesting world, and suffers for it. Atmosphere and worldbuilding played such a big role in DS1 (and Demon's Souls, to a somewhat lesser extent) that its lack really diminishes my enjoyment of the DS2. It's a great videogame, and I'd recommend it for its gameplay a hundred times over, but it falls flat for me in comparison to its predecessors.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Anyone got a good guide for building a bandit class? Feel like I'm hitting the wall, just got to No Man's Wharf, and I backtracked a little and triggered the Pursuer guy :downs:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So bosses I've killed:

Last Giant
Pursuer
Sentinel

And I still can't find friggin' magic. Is all the cool spells late game? I'm running a wizard and I feel like I'm majorly gimped.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Wave if you see me at the bellfry! I'm the one with the stupid hat.

While I agree to this too some extent, I don't think you're being fair to this game. Especially when it comes to bosses. The boss fights in this game are more frequent and better than the ones in DS1. I'm not sure what makes you say they are all big armoured meelee dudes, but hey if we're gonna generalize lets look at the first few bosses of Dark Souls;

-Giant melee demon
-ANOTHER giant melee demon
-Two melee gargoyles
-An rear end in a top hat butterfly
-YET ANOTHER giant melee demon
-Giant melee dragon
-Giant melee spider

A grand total of one of those doesn't have a melee focus. Most of them are still fun fights though, and the same applies to DS 2.

As for the lore, I wouldn't judge the game until you've played an explored more. Remember that the lore in these games is told through pretty subtle means, a lot coming from item descriptions. You won't learn what a lot of the bosses and areas are for until you examine their souls and the weapons they make. The major fault I find in this game compared to Dark Souls is that Dangleic doesn't feel connected properly, while everything in Lordran lined up near perfectly. There was a definite sense of progression in Dark Souls. You could see how one area lead into another. I don't get that same feeling with Drangleic. Most areas don't link together in any way.

Ruins Sentinels, Old Dragonslayer, Dragonrider, Smelter Demon, Pursuer (two times). The bosses fought that haven't been listed include: Covetous Demon, Mytha, Executioner's Chariot, Skeleton Lords, and the Last Giant. It's a pretty strong trend bro! Oh an Flexile Sentries. They strictly speaking aren't armored dudes, but in terms of how they fight they still feel very same-y.

Outside of the arguable trend of repetitive bosses, it isn't just the lack of cohesion in the world dude, it's the fact that I'm really not given a reason to care. Dark Souls 1 has a very strong mythos established right out the gate. I have no idea why I care about Drangleic by contrast. Dark Souls is always minimalist, but I think they could have done more to establish Drangleic as something I should give a poo poo about.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 28, 2014

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

They're like doom sprites. They're never NOT facing you. Makes it difficult to dex build.
I've found that enemies who pivot constantly tend not to when you roll behind them instead of trying to just walk. I dunno if that holds true generally, but I think the idea is that you should have to commit to rolling and using some stamina instead of just trying to walk behind them while sacrificing nothing.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Hell yeah, Fashion Souls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Turtlicious posted:

So bosses I've killed:

Last Giant
Pursuer
Sentinel

And I still can't find friggin' magic. Is all the cool spells late game? I'm running a wizard and I feel like I'm majorly gimped.

Head the other way from Majula, you'll find sorcery and pyromancy down that road eventually.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

So bosses I've killed:

Last Giant
Pursuer
Sentinel

Did you at least find the great soul arrow in Forest of Fallen Giants?

There's a sorcery merchant in No Man's Wharf that sells spells and will move to Majula once you kill the boss/exhaust his dialogue. I think Melentia also sells a basic soul arrow, which you can slot to give yourself double the casts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Got invaded by a gray soul Mikasa while in the bell area after joining the covenant, Literally dodged the dude like a champ, but damage did nothing. =/