Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Erebus posted:

There is currently a ton of focus in the game industry about how poorly female characters are presented and treated in the majority of games. It's not absurd for someone to be confused why a woman would deliberately dress in something that's being decried as embarrassing or eye-rolling or whatever elsewhere.

Hrmm, well who are they supposed to cosplay then if female characters are poorly presented?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

They don't really want to do it. They are broken by the man machine. Not really thinking people like you and I. Let me, a white man tell you how wrong they are to do it and how they can go about being RIGHT.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Politicalrancor posted:

Hrmm, well who are they supposed to cosplay then if female characters are poorly presented?

Whoever they want, I guess? People here have expressed that they find merit in the sexier outfits, and that's cool. I myself often redesign stuff that's flexible like Warhammer 40k or I go in a dude costume like Big Daddy from Bioshock or my StarCraft outfit and just go with it. Or else you can pick really diverse properties, I liked doing a Soul Calibur group because there are 5 games with shitloads of characters so there was bound to be one that fits what anybody would like to do (for me, Hilde from SC4, poo poo yeah).

I personally am strongly feminist and really into cosplay and I think there are many, many options for women, but there are challenges too. It's not impossible to find characters that you like or anything but I myself find that convention atmospheres and external pressure like 'trying to get noticed' and all that can become exhausting. I wish that these choices could be made in a vacuum but as we stand, so many character selections seem to be seen as "I'm so hot, look at my body" or "I'm not like those other girls, I dress like a dude" kind of poo poo. What do you even pick that doesn't seem like a statement? I personally try to look at people's craftsmanship and their attitude and all to judge their cosplays, and it's my hope that other people can approach it the same way. I think the push for better representation of women in games is really positive and I am so ready for more badass, non-sexualized women in entertainment but we should not throw real women under the bus for how they want to dress.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Koramei posted:

Sometimes wearing nearly nothing is nice. Cosplay is one of the only ways this is possible. I don't see why this is so revelatory or unbelievable. Just because you think all these characters are only sex symbols doesn't mean they have to be.

I'm having a very hard time accepting the idea that this character design is intended as anything but wank material. On Moxxi I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

As for "sometimes wearing nearly nothing is nice" in and of itself, that actually is news to me. I don't have any problem with it, but it's a Thing I Did Not Know.

scary ghost dog posted:

Additionally, there's nothing wrong with looking sexy and showing off.

Sure. That, and people dressing sexy still deserve basic respect and common human decency.

The more I think about this, the more complicated it seems to get. I'm not intending to criticise or give advice or anything, and I'm genuinely interested in the responses.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hydrolith posted:

I'm having a very hard time accepting the idea that this character design is intended as anything but wank material. On Moxxi I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

As for "sometimes wearing nearly nothing is nice" in and of itself, that actually is news to me. I don't have any problem with it, but it's a Thing I Did Not Know.

Sure. That, and people dressing sexy still deserve basic respect and common human decency.

The more I think about this, the more complicated it seems to get. I'm not intending to criticise or give advice or anything, and I'm genuinely interested in the responses.

The naval uniform is attractive without being a peep show.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Hydrolith posted:

Just because it was designed as wank material doesn't mean everybody cosplaying it sees it that way. Some people just like the outfit, and wanna wear it.

Hydrolith posted:

What, you've never gotten the urge to just walk out wearing practically nothing? I'd be too embarrassed to do it, but it seems like it'd be fun to do (though you'd get a lot of unwanted attention).

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

I think there's an equal thing where women expect (realistically or not) that guys will be able to reign in their reptilian brain and dress as sexy characters, and then are disappointed when they get creeped on. It can be tough. I myself compensate by carrying enormous weapons and looking really mean when I have cleavage in an outfit, it works alright.

It's funny because I got more attention (both positive and negative) with a costume I was fully covered up in, than a revealing costume that barely covered my tits. It really depends on the design I guess, and there's certainly nothing wrong with choosing things that make you comfortable, even if you alter the original design. Or maybe I've been lucky with not encountering too many creeps. I guess what I'm trying to get at is in my experience, creeps don't automatically gravitate toward naked bodies, they say what they want no matter how you're dressed. Which is really sad.

Lance Streetman posted:

Just because it was designed as wank material doesn't mean everybody cosplaying it sees it that way. Some people just like the outfit, and wanna wear it.

What, you've never gotten the urge to just walk out wearing practically nothing? I'd be too embarrassed to do it, but it seems like it'd be fun to do (though you'd get a lot of unwanted attention).

Agreed. Intent and reception are two different things. It does not matter to me what the intent of the character was. If I like the costume and character enough, I'll cosplay it. Enough said.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hydrolith posted:

You're making it overly complicated by overthinking and overanalyzing everything. Some people like to dress as certain characters, it's no different than choosing the kinds of clothes you wear on a daily basis. Do you freak out this much when you see a woman in a swimsuit at the beach? Or is your worldview a direct result of never leaving the house or being in contact with other human beings daily? If someone's decision to wear "nearly nothing" is news to you, you sound like you lead a really sheltered life, no offense.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Reformed Tomboy posted:

It's funny because I got more attention (both positive and negative) with a costume I was fully covered up in, than a revealing costume that barely covered my tits. It really depends on the design I guess, and there's certainly nothing wrong with choosing things that make you comfortable, even if you alter the original design. Or maybe I've been lucky with not encountering too many creeps. I guess what I'm trying to get at is in my experience, creeps don't automatically gravitate toward naked bodies, they say what they want no matter how you're dressed. Which is really sad.

Hahaha yeah, the last time I was accused of doing something 'just to be sexy,' I was in an armored costume where the only visible skin on my entire body was the top half of my face. Sure, scrawny-rear end unwashed nerd, I put this $700 and who-knows-how-many-hours uncomfortable rig together to attract your attention. Aren't I embarrassed that you've called me out!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hydrolith posted:

You're writing a lot of words about what other people are wearing, as if they should care about you and what you think. That's bad.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I went to C2E2 this weekend and I didn't take many pictures but I saw some excellent costumes. I'm hoping to see some posted by other people here soon.

Hydrolith posted:

Maybe it was designed that way but people can still like the character design and want to dress up like it.

Edit: vvv I didn't see roller skating Harley but I saw a female Captain Boomerang and Captain Cold couple.

ThatPazuzu has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Apr 28, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ThatPazuzu posted:

I went to C2E2 this weekend and I didn't take many pictures but I saw some excellent costumes. I'm hoping to see some posted by other people here soon.

Did you see roller skating Harley? She was awesome. I have a pic of a pretty good Captain Cold on my camera but I was so preoccupied I kept forgetting to take pictures.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Lots of words, lots of great opinions.

Have some Jedi.

:)

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

McPantserton posted:

Hahaha yeah, the last time I was accused of doing something 'just to be sexy,' I was in an armored costume where the only visible skin on my entire body was the top half of my face. Sure, scrawny-rear end unwashed nerd, I put this $700 and who-knows-how-many-hours uncomfortable rig together to attract your attention. Aren't I embarrassed that you've called me out!

:psyduck: Do you mind saying what costume it was?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ThatPazuzu posted:

Maybe it was designed that way but people can still like the character design and want to dress up like it.

Pretty much this. Just because something is designed in one way doesn't mean that someone can't like the design for other reasons.

Like whoever this person is with this KLK costume.

Linking because nothing is showing but it's still skimpy as hell

This is also a great costume (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

FirstAidKite has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Apr 28, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GruntyThrst posted:

:psyduck: Do you mind saying what costume it was?

It's in her avatar, a 40K suit of armor. She's posted about it a lot in here and it's a loving amazing costume.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
That Ivy page led me to this picture, which I thought was pretty cute:

From here.

FirstAidKite posted:

This is also a great costume (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

This is great, that whole scene was great. Really hope there's more cosplay out there of that scene.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I decided to take the initiative and searched twitter for C2E2 cosplay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ThatPazuzu posted:

I decided to take the initiative and searched twitter for C2E2 cosplay.

This dude was great but nobody knew who he was!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rhyno posted:

This dude was great but nobody knew who he was!

I know the appliances are from The Brave Little Toaster, but is he supposed to be a character from the movie too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Some Numbers posted:

I know the appliances are from The Brave Little Toaster, but is he supposed to be a character from the movie too?

Yeah. Dude was chill the whole day Friday.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Some Numbers posted:

I'm guessing he's the adult version of the kid who ends up rescuing all his/his family's old stuff when he moves to college.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the "OMG SO REVEALING COSPLAY JUST WANT ATTENTIONS" argument can be summed up with "If you got it, flaunt it".

Not much difference between someone dressing like Ivy or Moxie while a dude dresses up like a spartan from 300.

If you fit the costume, more power to ya. If you don't, gently caress it, have fun with it.

Weirdly enough, it doesn't matter WHAT women wear, there's always gonna be someone who's kink is that thing and they are going to not have the basic manners to not act like a creep. There's "wow that costume is awesome!" and "totally gonna eyefuck the poo poo outta that chick", and having balls doesn't excuse you from acting like an rear end in public around women. Having tits doesn't excuse you from acting like an rear end around guys either.

gently caress man, I'm a hetero male, I'm not gonna complain because a good looking woman decides to wear a revealing costume.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

You're making it overly complicated by overthinking and overanalyzing everything. Some people like to dress as certain characters, it's no different than choosing the kinds of clothes you wear on a daily basis. Do you freak out this much when you see a woman in a swimsuit at the beach? Or is your worldview a direct result of never leaving the house or being in contact with other human beings daily? If someone's decision to wear "nearly nothing" is news to you, you sound like you lead a really sheltered life, no offense.
I have no idea what their motivations are unless I ask, which is exactly why I asked. I would have assumed it was because they want to look sexy and want attention, because that's what my motivation would be, and evidently that's not the case. Get off my back, rear end in a top hat.

quote:

You're writing a lot of words about what other people are wearing, as if they should care about you and what you think. That's bad.
Welp, that's your misread. I don't think anyone should care what my opinion is.

Hydrolith has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Apr 28, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Don't know what convention this is from, but still its adorable :3:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I've occasionally wondered why some people would choose certain costumes - not because I think the costumes are overly sexualized, but because by choosing that outfit, does that then become an endorsement, intentional or otherwise, of the mindset that created it? We've admitted that there is a lack of non-sexualized strong female characters out there, so by choosing to emulate something overtly sexualized, is that a tacit acceptance of the status quo?

On the other hand, not everything should be seen as a statement, and it's unfair to judge anyone's motivations for wearing whatever it is they might be clad in. Everyone likes to feel sexy, and cons are one of the few places where you can really get away with it.

Personally, I don't mind a bit what someone decides to wear, more power to them - I think the act of wearing a costume is a distinct expression in itself, but I'll readily admit that I'm not a fan of many of the characters that are chosen. Many of them being nothing but thin veneers of personality against a massive pair of tits.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is not necessary to problematize anything in particular.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why even care if some women like dressing in sexy costumes? They can do whatever they want and that's the end of it.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Sometimes you look at an outfit and ask, "How does she wear that?"... then you ask, "How does she wear that?" Cosplayers are in the unique position of answering that question. Good on them.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The power of slutty costumage: if you have to ask, you'll never know.

Every dude owes it to himself to wear a REALLY slutty dress at least once in his life. Lose the heels though, they'll make you hate yourself and fall over.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Nathilus posted:

Every dude owes it to himself to wear a REALLY slutty dress at least once in his life. Lose the heels though, they'll make you hate yourself and fall over.

You could always cosplay as Kanji from Persona 4

Though, I don't know if that counts as a "REALLY slutty" dress.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Huzzah! posted:

You could always cosplay as Kanji from Persona 4

Though, I don't know if that counts as a "REALLY slutty" dress.

Yeah unfortunately not nearly as slutty as what I'm talking about. I'm talking about double slits up to the top of the hips or a five inch skirt or something. Unzipped short shorts might work too: if nobody can get a peek at your underwear choice you're not really Feeling the Power.

SMP
May 5, 2009

The new Ms. Marvel

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuts

:spidey:
:yosbutt:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Lord humongous and Spartans are dead on. The male marvel with fem costumes needed a female hero in full business attire to really pull it off. Good fun.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The left-most Spartan is totally doing the 'Blue Steel' face as well. :v:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

LingcodKilla posted:

The Lord humongous and Spartans are dead on. The male marvel with fem costumes needed a female hero in full business attire to really pull it off. Good fun.

Batman, Robin and Superman are not Marvel you idiot!!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
God, they all just want attention. Why else would they dress that way? :rolleyes:

I totally did the Kanji outfit (I'm a dude) a few years ago for Halloween. It had the added benefit of being immediately recognizable as Marilyn Monroe by people who weren't familiar with the Persona 4 character. We went to a costume party and a costume contest at a local pub (we don't get many cons out here in Bumfuck, Midwest, so my friends and I usually wait until Halloween to bust out costumes). The whole night was great except for one guy who saw me from behind and in his drunken haze thought I really was a woman--he ran up and grabbed my rear end full-on with both hands, and hard. While his buddies were crying from laughing so hard, he caught wise and slurred "wha the fuuuuuu" and ran out of the bar.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also if you thought that Lord Humungus was good then wait until you see the rest of his photos:

:black101::syoon:

He even officiates at Mad Max theme weddings!

His Facebook page has many many more photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

Batman, Robin and Superman are not Marvel you idiot!!

The way marvel keeps taking in the bucks my comment might not be factual incorrect in another decade.

• Locked thread