Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Ignimbrite posted:

Small soapstones make you stay in a person's world for only a few minutes, same rules for being sent back.

I'd like to touch on this, since I think there's a finer science to it. You're limited by time, but gathering souls seems to shorten your time. Killing a whole bunch of dudes will keep you in their world for far less time than, say, idly standing around. Or fighting one boss for an extended period. Typically, if you drop a tiny sign in front of a boss, you should be able to take the boss out before expiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Question about the soul memory. I switched to NG+ with about 2.7 million soul memory. I take it that 3.7 will be the target to let me into the castle with no hassle?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Internet Kraken posted:

Cool. So I sit 10 minutes to find a duel. Get instakilled by someone using spells I haven't even seen. Half the time I hit someone it makes the stab sound but it doesn't even damage. So basically now being a dark wraith is reserved only for the assholes that minmax their builds and there is no fun to be had for anyone other than them.

gently caress.

Thats kinda how I feel about invasions in general 7/10 times its some dude whos way more min/maxed than you. You could both be swinging big rear end 2 handers but you'll take off 1/8 of his health per swing while hes shaving 1/3 of yours.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Punching things to death with dapper mighty fists is a lot of fun. A pair of cestus also strike so quickly you can get the drop on nearly anyone. If you got beat to death by a topless, well groomed mustached gentlemen in the Belfry this evening, my apologies.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I'm very bad at this game never having really played DS1. I died a few times in the tutorial cave learning how to lock on and swing a sword. Then some rats or dogs I couldn't hit got me in the first village. Then I've died numerous times along the forest path and up the first ladder. After 3 or 4 deaths I usually ragequit and come back some other time and the cycle continues but maybe I'll get a tiny bit further. Maybe I'll get to level up just once soon. It's weird not being told anything about what to do.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Also! I didn't see it in the OP, so I apologize if this question gets asked a lot. Do we know what names show up when you co-op/invade/whatever? Is it your Steam profile name? Character name? If I want to be Sister Fister in Dark Souls II multiplayer, can I just change my Steam name to that?

And do we have a list of what's getting censored? I've seen asterisks in some strange places (Cpt Cod***ce, for example).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok, I think I figured out how I'm going to do things. I hit 20 faith so I could get the hexer's gear, then respecced to 16 str/12 dex (though I don't really know why, I forgot halfway through :v:)/15 faith/25 adp/29 int. I'm going to focus on sorcery and pyromancy with a bit of hexes as backup, using only staff magic until I can get faith back up to use resonance hexes. I burned most early boss souls for this because I looked and I will never use them. I think I'm going to stick with straight swords, particularly the longsword because why not, can't use much else. Should I switch it off fire longsword to magic once I get the right stone, or would I be better off making it lightning so I can ignore resistances more? Should I even bother or just move my staff off my right hand to my shield hand and use magic weapon? I could also swap to morningstars, come to think of it. Maybe I'll keep the fire longsword and level a magic morningstar? I have barely any titanite besides chunks still though.

It's much harder than I thought to pump strength and dexterity while also getting agility, attunement, and int up. Also I'm level 90 and I have 14 vigor, 13 vitality, and 10 endurance, but that's worked out pretty okay so far.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 28, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Also! I didn't see it in the OP, so I apologize if this question gets asked a lot. Do we know what names show up when you co-op/invade/whatever? Is it your Steam profile name? Character name? If I want to be Sister Fister in Dark Souls II multiplayer, can I just change my Steam name to that?

And do we have a list of what's getting censored? I've seen asterisks in some strange places (Cpt Cod***ce, for example).

Your character's name is the name people see in co-op.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RBA Starblade posted:

Hey quick question, will I gently caress myself over if I use the soul of the lost sinner for some fast cash? Do I need it physically in my inventory to move on or do I just need to kill the four bosses/light the four primal bonfires?

Do be aware that there's a guy who trades you unique weapons and spells for boss souls.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Two questions. First, I got wrecked by an invader with a scythe thingy that completely bypassed my shield, any hope for beating that other than twohand the gently caress out of him? Secondly, is there a pair of sandals anywhere? Tower Shield+ Falcon Armor+ Broadsword is pretty neat Roman cosplay.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

DSauer posted:

Punching things to death with dapper mighty fists is a lot of fun. A pair of cestus also strike so quickly you can get the drop on nearly anyone. If you got beat to death by a topless, well groomed mustached gentlemen in the Belfry this evening, my apologies.

TBH that could also be me. It's a good look.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mzbundifund posted:

Do be aware that there's a guy who trades you unique weapons and spells for boss souls.

No worries, I checked and I traded in the ones I don't care about.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

The Crusher posted:

That's an amazing moustache. I'd be ok with dying to this character.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Hm there's a bloodstain in front of this chest, but its not a mimic. Guy most of just died to the enemies" :downs:

I don't like Harvest Valley. When I heard the name thrown around in the thread I wasn't expecting this at all. :saddowns:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

The Crusher posted:

I trust we will encounter one another soon enough for a gentlemanly game of fisticuffs!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

"Hm there's a bloodstain in front of this chest, but its not a mimic. Guy most of just died to the enemies" :downs:

I found a bunch of bloodstains around a bonfire once. There weren't any enemies or anything around, no cliffs. Just a lot of dead pubbies.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey if an NPC dies while they've been summoned, are they dead for good?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
So after looking into it a bit, apparently the censorship is running rampant. Like, a whole lot of **dors and k***hts running around. One guy reportedly played as a Jester Thomas knock off, but the game cut him down to Jester T**mas.

Which is sad, knowing that people probably see my orange haired pugilist as Pumpkin ****e.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

RBA Starblade posted:

I found a bunch of bloodstains around a bonfire once. There weren't any enemies or anything around, no cliffs. Just a lot of dead pubbies.

lol pubbies :smug:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey if an NPC dies while they've been summoned, are they dead for good?

Nope, that's just their phantom! It's like when you die as a phantom. They're probably annoyed that they didn't get their humanity back and their poo poo repaired though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

The bloodstain system could probably help me avoid a lot of trap deaths but I ignore 95% of them just because most people die to the dumbest poo poo. I remember creeping through the sewers on the path down to the Wharf and seeing a TON of bloodstains in one room. An absurd amount, which made me think something horrible was coming up. So I carefully move ahead to find...a stone knight. The exact same knight that I'd killed dozens of already. Somehow people managed to die to that one knight over and over despite it being no more dangerous than the rest.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is there anyway to stop the smelter demon from setting his sword on fire and proceeding to do excessive damage through my shield?
If you can wield it, the Gyrm Shield (100% fire block) makes that fight pretty straightforward.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Attestant posted:

lol pubbies :smug:

There is something hilarious that goons refer to people in games as pubbies no matter how nonsensical it is.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
This is pretty interesting. If you have two ascetics you can get the Vanquisher's Seal nearly right off the bat. Basically, you farm Rhoy the Explorer for 49 of the 50 awestones you need. You run down to Grave of the Saints, kill Rhoy, then the RRV. Ascetic the first bonfire, the one closest to the pit. Then you can warp to the RRV bonfire and run to the ladder to trigger Rhoy. On NG+ and beyond Rhoy spawns 12-15 times. Exhaust Rhoy on intensity 2, and then ascetic the first bonfire again and repeat.

Here's a vid of Vageta311 showing how to do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuq1AbsNBE&t=3669s

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is there anyway to stop the smelter demon from setting his sword on fire and proceeding to do excessive damage through my shield?

shields are weapons, infuse that thing with fire.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Crusher posted:

is your character's name gentleman jim? because i saw a summon the other day from someone who looks just like that with that name but i spent too long admiring the tash to summon

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Baron O Beefdip posted:

So how is scaling now? I was going for a quality build but right now it seems pretty underwhelming. Currently using a +8 Broadsword.

The big thing you have to know about scaling is that you get more damage going from 30 str to 40 than you did going from 10 str to 30. If you're going to invest in str or dex go to 40, maybe even 50, though 50 isn't near as big an increase as 40 was, it's still bigger than any further increase.

e: actually this goes for any damage stat, so 40/40 hexers will be a lot more effective than 30/30 ones.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 28, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Goddamn bonewheels :argh:

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Deaderinred posted:

is your character's name gentleman jim? because i saw a summon the other day from someone who looks just like that with that name but i spent too long admiring the tash to summon

I wish, that's a sick name for that look. Nope, I'm just "The Crusher".

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

StashAugustine posted:

More so than the Old Dragonslayer they caught me off guard and gave me the biggest "oh gently caress :gonk:" moment of the entire game.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
question, how the gently caress do I guard break on pc? I'm using keyboard and mouse because my pc controller isn't here yet and I'm completely unable to do jump attacks and guard breaks.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Motherfucker posted:

question, how the gently caress do I guard break on pc? I'm using keyboard and mouse because my pc controller isn't here yet and I'm completely unable to do jump attacks and guard breaks.
I believe you need to tap the direction along with light/strong attack to do those moves. I was helping my brother (who won't ever buy a controller) try to figure stuff out with the PC controls. Literally switching lock-on targets with keyboard/mouse requires you to move the mouse since I guess that's the closest analogue to tapping RS in a different direction to switch targets.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Motherfucker posted:

click, and then hit w. The timing is really weird.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

StashAugustine posted:

I guess :darksouls: never really changes, eh? Not looking forward to whatever new bullshit FROM put in them now, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So, about killing/resurrecting NPCs.. I want a certain set of armour that a guy sells after having me kill some NPCs, or doing their quests, but apparently their quests give the item after the final boss. Can I resurrect them and still clear their quests after that?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

EightBit posted:

I guess :darksouls: never really changes, eh? Not looking forward to whatever new bullshit FROM put in them now, though.

I'm told they're no longer so terrifying, because they don't hit multiple times. No more having your entire stamina bar ground through.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

kirbysuperstar posted:

So, about killing/resurrecting NPCs.. I want a certain set of armour that a guy sells after having me kill some NPCs, or doing their quests, but apparently their quests give the item after the final boss. Can I resurrect them and still clear their quests after that?

No.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Since the mouse input listens for double-click inputs, the timing is all sorts of hosed up as it decides whether or not you're trying to double click.

Since it's only a temporary problem for you I'd probably just wait it out, but the main workaround is to set up your mouse buttons to correspond to keyboard keys, attacks using them don't suffer from the same delay issues.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Okay, how the gently caress do I land the jump in Earthen Peak? I've tried it from multiple angles and different timings but no matter what I end up taking a poison bath. I can land on the platform but then the roll from the jump animation sends me careening off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dammit. Hrrrrgh.

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay, how the gently caress do I land the jump in Earthen Peak? I've tried it from multiple angles and different timings but no matter what I end up taking a poison bath. I can land on the platform but then the roll from the jump animation sends me careening off.

Don't jump, just run off at it.