Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

People should do what I did and beat that boss by chugging healing items nonstop to counteract the poison lake and swinging a +10 greatsword in her stupid face. Figured there had to be some way to drain the poison out but I never would have guessed you had to light part of the windmill on fire.

I somehow did that my first try. Went through like 20 gems during that fight. I felt really stupid after I heard about using a torch on the windmill.

That poo poo was really obtuse though. I even had messages like "Try fire" near it. I then shot the windmill with pyromancy that did nothing and forgot about it.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Does burning effigies work for Belfry Luna? Figured I'd ask since it's one of the zones designed specifically for PVP.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there a way back to the FoFG bonfire in the Bastille once you leave it? Stupid grim reaper reject blew up the barrel for McDuff's.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

I have to admit, no, though I also haven't tried to learn them, either. Nor have I seen anyone, keyboard or otherwise, use them so I suppose I'm not missing to much, but you got me there.

The jump attack is pretty extraneous in this game, I'll grant you, but the guard break is incredibly useful. Especially in PVP, where no one seems to know it exists, like you pointed out. I don't doubt you could get through the entire game without ever using it, but it really is powerful enough that not being able to do it on demand is a huge disadvantage.

404notfound posted:

Does burning effigies work for Belfry Luna? Figured I'd ask since it's one of the zones designed specifically for PVP.

Nope, the effigy only blocks invasions in the area of the bonfire you burn it in. Belfry Luna counts as a separate area from the Servant's Quarter's bonfire.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 28, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Are there cheats on the PC version yet? I helped a guy fight the lost giant at soul level 10 and he was decked out in that lucatiel gear, and I think it's not mathematically possible for him to have gone to kill the dragonrider at level 1, run to pirate town, killed her, and owned enough souls to buy the rest from the merchant? Also his name was Mirrah.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Jesus loving christ, I finally killed the smelter demon solo. That boss if loving ridiculous. You can't block it's attacks after a certain point, so you need perfect dodging. Every other boss up until now has been a total cakewalk solo.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Cowcaster posted:

Nope, the effigy only blocks invasions in the area of the bonfire you burn it in. Belfry Luna counts as a separate area from the Servant's Quarter's bonfire.

drat, okay. Don't really want to PVP in an area I'm completely unfamiliar with, but I guess I'll have to suck it up. I got an invasion the moment I crossed the bridge, so I thought it was one of those scripted NPC invasions. And then the guy started moving suspiciously like a human player would. And then he two-shot me. And then he stated waving at my corpse. :geno:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

404notfound posted:

drat, okay. Don't really want to PVP in an area I'm completely unfamiliar with, but I guess I'll have to suck it up. I got an invasion the moment I crossed the bridge, so I thought it was one of those scripted NPC invasions. And then the guy started moving suspiciously like a human player would. And then he two-shot me. And then he stated waving at my corpse. :geno:

Get your rear end kicked once. You now have like five minutes to hustle your rear end through there before the next rear end whooping comes. Alternatively play in offline mode like a coward and it'll summon a little baby NPC invader for you to fight.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Krinkle posted:

Are there cheats on the PC version yet? I helped a guy fight the lost giant at soul level 10 and he was decked out in that lucatiel gear, and I think it's not mathematically possible for him to have gone to kill the dragonrider at level 1, run to pirate town, killed her, and owned enough souls to buy the rest from the merchant? Also his name was Mirrah.

Sounds possible, albeit a bit tricky. Dragonrider's cheesable so level doesn't matter, a mace will make short work of the old knights along the way, and boss-killing souls + knight killing souls + maybe popping the Dragonrider Soul should be enough to get the stuff.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Cowcaster posted:

The jump attack is pretty extraneous in this game, I'll grant you, but the guard break is incredibly useful. Especially in PVP, where no one seems to know it exists, like you pointed out. I don't doubt you could get through the entire game without ever using it, but it really is powerful enough that not being able to do it on demand is a huge disadvantage.

On Guard Break: It's really good early on, but eventually the PvP will get to a stage where blocking and shields are fairly useless, so guard breaking drops in value a lot.

But man is it the best move ever when preying on noobs in the Luna Belltower.

Yes, just keep hugging that Drangleic Shield. I'm sure you'll be perfectly safe! :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Krinkle posted:

It's trivial to use cheat engine to get pretty much whatever you want.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

neetengie posted:

Just explore more, you can do it. Since it seems like you're in Brightcove, what other places have you been in.
I finally found some large titanite as a drop thanks to that prisoner tatter item discovery bonus. I've killed every boss I've encountered thus far, and really have no idea where to go next so I'm just wandering around trying all these damned locked doors scattered around that are still locked. I used my 2nd branch of yore on what I hoped would unlock the next area, but it turned out to be a waste and took me to an item you can reach another way.

So far I've killed:

Last Giant
Pursuer
Ornstein
Dragonrider Dude
Flexile Sentry
The Three Sentintels
Lost Sinner
Chariot
Scorpioness Najka
Dear Freja
Rat Lord
The Rotten

I'll take a hint, what area leads to the next primal boss? And spoil me this, is the final boss a giant locked door?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Sanctum posted:

I finally found some large titanite as a drop thanks to that prisoner tatter item discovery bonus. I've killed every boss I've encountered thus far, and really have no idea where to go next so I'm just wandering around trying all these damned locked doors scattered around that are still locked. I used my 2nd branch of yore on what I hoped would unlock the next area, but it turned out to be a waste and took me to an item you can reach another way.

So far I've killed:

Last Giant
Pursuer
Ornstein
Dragonrider Dude
Flexile Sentry
The Three Sentintels
Lost Sinner
Chariot
Scorpioness Najka
Dear Freja
Rat Lord
The Rotten

I'll take a hint, what area leads to the next primal boss? And spoil me this, is the final boss a giant locked door?

I see you've entirely missed the fourth leg of the game. If you've exhausted Licia's dialogue (the faith woman you meet after Dragonrider), try walking back to Heide's Tower of Flame.

And no, the final boss is not a large door. It is behind a large locked door, though. No, not that one.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I really don't get weapon infusion. Do I want to upgrade the weapon to +10 before I put lighting on it, or does the lightning upgrade overwrite all the other stuff?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

BabelFish posted:

I really don't get weapon infusion. Do I want to upgrade the weapon to +10 before I put lighting on it, or does the lightning upgrade overwrite all the other stuff?

Doesn't matter. Infusions are completely independent. Infusing a +x weapon makes it an [element] +x.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Anyone around 3M SM NG+ got a Grand Lance collecting dust? The PAIN TRAIN is just not the same with just one lance. :(

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

The windmills...create the poison? I thought the reason that area was covered in windmills was a feeble attempt by the worker to clear out the toxic smog.
That's not how windmills work!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

You know what's better than playing as a PUNCHMAN?

Being summoned by a fellow PUNCHMAN to PUNCH BOSSES.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Martman posted:

That's not how windmills work!

Well duh but you try figuring out the logistics of a medieval toxic waste factory.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
So The Cracked Blue Eye Orb is useless, right? I'm all sentineled up and it never, ever finds anyone.

Anyone else who's in this covenant know of a decent place to search for sinners? Is there a level cap/restriction on finding someone?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This game really likes pulling a "well, no way you get to pick your engagements, have two/three foes at a time and gently caress you". Not too bad this far, honestly, but...it gets a bit noticeable on the Wharf, even if you pick your battles carefully. Probably gonna give the Cathedral boss a couple of tries before I try clearing it again, just because I should be able to beat him ugh.

Maces are awesome. I need another mace weapon that's better. Hopefully there's one nearby. Decided to go STR with a dash of ADP for now just because of that weapon. Scaling isn't that great in this game, right? So it shouldn't be MUCH of a chore switching from a STR to a DEX weapon if I find something better? Probably gonna steer clear from FTH/INT for my first run, just so I get more of a "yeah I didn't cheese poo poo" feeling when (if) I actually beat the game. By the way, as someone that only played a bit of Demons and Dark Souls, DS2 feels a bit more forgiving somehow. I dunno, maybe I just understand the systems better. Granted, I have 70+ deaths and killed two bosses, but...

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

pmchem posted:

No, not really. When PC players are regularly posting autohotkey solutions to make basic moves doable, FROM messed up somewhere.

I'm absolutely not excusing the mouse and keyboard controls, I think they're unplayable. I was just saying it's weird for someone to not have a controller at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, there are quite a few moments where you have no choice but to aggro 3-4 enemies at once even if they're not at the same range. Bonus points of one of said enemies is around a blind corner!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

The Joe Man posted:

So The Cracked Blue Eye Orb is useless, right? I'm all sentineled up and it never, ever finds anyone.

Anyone else who's in this covenant know of a decent place to search for sinners? Is there a level cap/restriction on finding someone?

There is a certain bridge made out of a sturdy metal surrounded by flamable material that seems to be a PvP hot spot. (Hurr hurr.) You could try there.

There is a window, though the actual numbers are up in the air. It's based entirely on soul memory - that is, the amount of souls you've collected. Ever. Not used or otherwise spent, collected period. It's a rather big window tho.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

As a massive sinner, it would seem that there's no upward cap for invading the guilty. I've gotten a lot of sentinels that I killed in like two r1's and who dealt around 100 damage per swing while I was revisiting early game areas.

You won't be getting any hits for sentinel invasions until about halfway through the game, since that's where the invader covenant is and getting sin before that is pretty much restricted to massacring NPCs.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Good to hear faith/Strength is viable. Should i still put points in Adaptability? And does Attunement also affect Faith? Currently I'm boosting my melee stats (got dex up to 10 just so i could use that heide sword) but im wanting to make sure im not neglecting my casting stats.

I presume the priority of stats for such a build goes (roughly)

Strenth
Faith
Adaptability
Attunement
Dexterity(or could ignore?)
Vigor
Endurance
etc?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, there are quite a few moments where you have no choice but to aggro 3-4 enemies at once even if they're not at the same range. Bonus points of one of said enemies is around a blind corner!

There are a few cases where enemies are pretty clearly scripted to come after you as a pack, regardless of how many actually see you. There aren't a lot of them, but they're really annoying.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Attestant posted:

There are a few cases where enemies are pretty clearly scripted to come after you as a pack, regardless of how many actually see you. There aren't a lot of them, but they're really annoying.

It was a nasty but fun surprise the first time. It was annoying the 20th time.

Notice I said annoying, not challenging. Nothing about it is actually difficult, it's just tedious when you turn a corner and get jumped by the same pack of chucklefucks for the upteenth time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it possible to skip the Ruin Sentinels if you haven't gone through No-Man's Wharf yet?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Alkydere posted:

You know what's better than playing as a PUNCHMAN?

Being summoned by a fellow PUNCHMAN to PUNCH BOSSES.

Today I wandered into a belfry because I needed to get something. For the first time, I actually managed to destroy both invaders.

They just cannot comprehend the power of the fist.

I love punching SO MUCH

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
This thread is gigantic, so sorry if I missed this.

Steam just downloaded a 7mb patch. What is it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dis astranagant posted:

Is it possible to skip the Ruin Sentinels if you haven't gone through No-Man's Wharf yet?

Yes. You can get to the area with the lockstone shortcut from the Pursuer's shortcut bonfire, but you have to backtrack around the entire area all the way to it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

In highly cool news, I got the loving dancing stick. yesssssssssssss

Everything just became a party.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Yes. You can get to the area with the lockstone shortcut from the Pursuer's shortcut bonfire, but you have to backtrack around the entire area all the way to it.

How do you get to the Wharf side from there if you haven't opened the gate by McDuff's?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I went back to the Lost Bastille just to check out the belfry luna area I missed. :stare: I was almost murdering the summoned players downstairs when the loving dwarf joined in as well.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

dis astranagant posted:

Here's a shameful strategy if you're really hard pressed: Buy a good shield, buy the red eye ring from the cat, summon the mage in the jail cell and keep backing up in circles around the arena forever and she'll kill them for you.

CJacobs posted:

This is blowing my mind but I can't condone skipping ruin sentinels.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dis astranagant posted:

How do you get to the Wharf side from there if you haven't opened the gate by McDuff's?

Oh wait poo poo, I forgot that gate is there.

Uh. No, then. :v:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mazed posted:

In highly cool news, I got the loving dancing stick. yesssssssssssss

Everything just became a party.

Now enchant it to +10 and infuse it with poison! The one-handed r2 is a spinning multi-hit attack that is real fun for poisoning folk.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I'm starting to wonder if my stint in the belltower and a bunch of sunbro'ing has not catapulted me WAY above the soul level bell curve for NG. I'm sitting at 155, and only have three of the four great souls. Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Here's a shameful strategy if you're really hard pressed: Buy a good shield, buy the red eye ring from the cat, summon the mage in the jail cell and keep backing up in circles around the arena forever and she'll kill them for you.

This is blowing my mind but I can't condone skipping ruin sentinels.

Well, this is more just desperately trying to find a bonfire because the stupid jailer blew up the barrel for McDuff's and I'm out of homeward bones :v: