Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

dis astranagant posted:

Well, this is more just desperately trying to find a bonfire because the stupid jailer blew up the barrel for McDuff's and I'm out of homeward bones :v:

Why don't you go back as far as you can towards the fireplace you came from and drop a small soapstone. Help someone kill some jerks, go home in five minutes fully repaired and full estus. Maybe even alive.

Also open up the shortcut: in the room with all the sword jerks, go down the stairs, open the door that looks out over a gap and a wall. Don't go out it. Now when you want to reclaim your souls you just walk in from above, the alcove to the left and behind the guy who broke your barrel and kept you from McDuff in the first place. Face the door, no jumps no rolls, just run forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
So which one of you is literally Shrek?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Attestant posted:

Now enchant it to +10 and infuse it with poison! The one-handed r2 is a spinning multi-hit attack that is real fun for poisoning folk.

Oh my god I am so doing this :neckbeard:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Why don't you go back as far as you can towards the fireplace you came from and drop a small soapstone. Help someone kill some jerks, go home in five minutes fully repaired and full estus. Maybe even alive.

Feeding my awestone addiction. Tried the boss, hosed up, tried to get McDuff's opened up, stupid grim reaper wannabe blew himself up again, dived off a cliff and went somewhere else.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

So which one of you is literally Shrek?

I was on skype with someone who saw that summon sign at the forest of giants earlier tonight. Do you have a screenshot of the preview phantom?

dis astranagant posted:

Feeding my awestone addiction

Well then that's everything. Good luck fighting the ruin sentinels.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

So now it's version 1.02 with that 7.2mb Steam patch, still Calibrations 1.05. No idea what calibrations means in this context.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Krinkle posted:

I was on skype with someone who saw that summon sign at the forest of giants earlier tonight. Do you have a screenshot of the preview phantom?

I'm afraid not, I'd accidentally got locked into the Belfry while leaving a message and had little time to react when his naked form lumbered around the corner.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Have we all picked a God so we can wear the weird co-op ring and jolly cooperation each other?

I suggest Caitha - Goddess of Tears

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Have we all picked a God so we can wear the weird co-op ring and jolly cooperation each other?

I suggest Caitha - Goddess of Tears

Most goons appear to have decided on Nahr Amir of Blood, which is kind of a bad idea because you know everyone's gonna pick that (because it's kool).

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm really disappointed with the overzealous name censor, and the lack of ability to disable it. My friend's name contains booty and that's all asterisks. I couldn't believe they ***'ed out my flippy nips name but then a day later I realized oh wait that's a ridiculously archaic slur for Japanese people in addition to being short for nipples and a character from a tv show. Someone tried to name themselves conspicuous but there's another racial slur hidden within that word. The whole world is full of ***s. This game is about demons and death and murder why can't we have swears?

At least, for the first time, whatever you name your character is what people see. On the other hand, since all these names are none-related there's no way to send messages to people. Good luck trying to convey the idea "press the x button here, on this wall, that I am stabbing repeatedly, there's a hidden door here, no don't stab it with me. Goddamn it" now.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
I'm a SL51 Knight who just kicked Old Dragonrider's rear end, and I've got 26000 souls ready to pump into stats. I figure I'm getting close to the point where stats are getting quite expensive, so I wanna be careful with what I'm doing here. Any recommendations for where I might want to improve?

VGR: 18
END: 17
VIT: 8
ATN: 4
STR: 20
DEX: 12
ADP: 16
INT: 3
FTH: 6

I was using a +3 Heide Knight Sword, but realised there was a Bastard Sword in my box which does a fair bit more damage. Got the Large Leather Shield in the other hand.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just ran into an absolute perfect rendition of the 'WiiFit trainer' which was also her name. this game.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I'm really disappointed with the overzealous name censor, and the lack of ability to disable it. My friend's name contains booty and that's all asterisks. I couldn't believe they ***'ed out my flippy nips name but then a day later I realized oh wait that's a ridiculously archaic slur for Japanese people in addition to being short for nipples and a character from a tv show. Someone tried to name themselves conspicuous but there's another racial slur hidden within that word. The whole world is full of ***s. This game is about demons and death and murder why can't we have swears?

At least, for the first time, whatever you name your character is what people see. On the other hand, since all these names are none-related there's no way to send messages to people. Good luck trying to convey the idea "press the x button here, on this wall, that I am stabbing repeatedly, there's a hidden door here, no don't stab it with me. Goddamn it" now.

I dunno sometimes it's funny to try to figure out what part of someone's name was censored. I came across a Sa***e and had a good laugh when I realized the part that was censored was "vag"

but yeah, there should be an option to turn it off, or at least a warning when you make the name that it contains filtered words so you can avoid it

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'm a SL51 Knight who just kicked Old Dragonrider's rear end, and I've got 26000 souls ready to pump into stats. I figure I'm getting close to the point where stats are getting quite expensive, so I wanna be careful with what I'm doing here. Any recommendations for where I might want to improve?

VGR: 18
END: 17
VIT: 8
ATN: 4
STR: 20
DEX: 12
ADP: 16
INT: 3
FTH: 6

I was using a +3 Heide Knight Sword, but realised there was a Bastard Sword in my box which does a fair bit more damage. Got the Large Leather Shield in the other hand.

your first priority should probably be putting points into strength, if that's what you're going for. more damage is always good. you could easily stand to get endurance to 20 before you hit the soft cap and start getting diminishing returns on it. a lot of people swear that adaptability at 20 is vital for a melee character, and you're close, so why not.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 28, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I realize I have the humor of a five year old, but I will never get tired of summoning "****". :v:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Krinkle posted:

I am likewise sort of frustrated by the censorship! I didn't realize Pumpkin Spice was a horribly offensive name until today, but now I know! Seriously, there's a K***ht Solaire running around, and a Jester T**mas. I've seen screenshots of a character named Adolf Hitler, though. No asterisks. That's fine.

I don't remember which forum it was, but someone was discussing a name that lines up the asterisks to intentionally spell out curse words (i.e., FhoUCK AhoSSES would come out as F**UCK A**SSES).

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I saw a K***ht Vinland. That made me feel a little sad. **lly for Holly was equally dumb.

Mazed posted:

Oh my god I am so doing this :neckbeard:

It is the best thing!

Attestant fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 28, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Possible spoilers but i must ask, why is there so much blood in the mansion that the dude in the cave in the forest of giants gives you a key for? Also, he keeps talking about a map that i never saw in my life

Seriously, there was nothing of note in there, what's with the bloodbath? :stare:

I love this game, you can make pretty people in this game!

Also:

:v:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Mans posted:

I love this game, you can make pretty people in this game!

It takes a lot of time to make someone who looks human, but at least it's possible to make nice-looking characters, which is more than I can say for Demon's or the first Dark Souls. I'm pretty happy with how my character came out, even if she was over an hour of work

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Look closer at your first screenshot, and you can see what the cartographer is talking about.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Mans posted:

Possible spoilers but i must ask, why is there so much blood in the mansion that the dude in the cave in the forest of giants gives you a key for? Also, he keeps talking about a map that i never saw in my life

Seriously, there was nothing of note in there, what's with the bloodbath? :stare:
Maybe they got killed by the skeleton that shows up if you go down the stairs to the right.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mans posted:

what's with the bloodbath? :stare:

From what I've been told the number of skeletons in the basement increases each NG+ level. So by NG++ like 6-8 hyper skeletons just rock out of the basement and destroy you.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
While I'm crying about stupid things, it drives me crazy that I can have crazy blue pink anime hair, but have such limited choice of lipstick.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mans posted:

Maybe explore the Mansion more?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sydin posted:

From what I've been told the number of skeletons in the basement increases each NG+ level. So by NG++ like 6-8 hyper skeletons just rock out of the basement and destroy you.

I prefer my original thought that so many people died to the one

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Didn't know you can get the turtle armor. Time to make a character named Terrapin!

I think there's more bosses that are just armored up big dudes because there are more bosses in general, and armored up big dudes is how DS does in terms of general bosses. That said, the gimmicky bosses are a lot more fun this time around.
Also anyone have any tips for one of the Pharros Door bosses? I don't know if there's any equipment against poisoning, I get wrecked by the small rats ganging up and the big one slamming me.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

Cardboard Box posted:

I dunno sometimes it's funny to try to figure out what part of someone's name was censored. I came across a Sa***e and had a good laugh when I realized the part that was censored was "vag"

but yeah, there should be an option to turn it off, or at least a warning when you make the name that it contains filtered words so you can avoid it

your first priority should probably be putting points into strength, if that's what you're going for. more damage is always good. you could easily stand to get endurance to 20 before you hit the soft cap and start getting diminishing returns on it. a lot of people swear that adaptability at 20 is vital for a melee character, and you're close, so why not.

Thanks a bunch! I put ADP up to 20, and a few in END.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah, don't underestimate how bad a lot of people are at Dark Souls. :v:

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Kikka posted:

Didn't know you can get the turtle armor. Time to make a character named Terrapin!

I think there's more bosses that are just armored up big dudes because there are more bosses in general, and armored up big dudes is how DS does in terms of general bosses. That said, the gimmicky bosses are a lot more fun this time around.
Also anyone have any tips for one of the Pharros Door bosses? I don't know if there's any equipment against poisoning, I get wrecked by the small rats ganging up and the big one slamming me.

If you can find a weapon with a big swing arc, you can try taking them out with one hit. Also you could try using a torch since iirc they're afraid of fire and will recoil from it, so you can hit em.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Kikka posted:

The weight is ungodly but it is so satisfying. My initial PS3 run ended with full blown Ninja Turtle action.

No one expects you to pump Vitality. They also don't expect the ten ton titanium turtle to fast roll.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm trying to give people the benefit of the doubt here you-

OH NO MAN posted:

Yeah, don't underestimate how bad a lot of people are at Dark Souls. :v:

Okay yeah, you're right. :v:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Holy poo poo, the patch fixed the crashing issue with HDMI. DS2 on big screen tonight. :neckbeard:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Krinkle posted:

You can't have "knight" in your name. "Nig" is censored. :(

Yeah we know why, but still, this being Dark Souls, you'd think getting to call yourself a knight would be of great importance.

As for trying to get hosts to know how to activate hidden doors, what's worked for me is just walking up to one, standing still for a second, then walking away. When they inevitably try to smack it, I just keep doing the finger-waggle emote and repeating the walk up, stand there, walk away action. Most seem to get it eventually.

Mans posted:

Oh, there's a map there. It's just not at all useful. To be specific, though: The relief in the floor is shaped like Drangleic and the flames that appear correspond to locations you fought certain bosses in. It's more or less accurate, based on the cloth map that came with the collector's edition.

Kikka posted:

There is one solution to the rat boss problems: Alluring Skulls

Turns Vanguard into a cakewalk, but it's still tricky for Authority. Mainly because the big guy hits like a freight train no matter your luck with the little ones.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 28, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OH NO MAN posted:

Maybe they got killed by the skeleton that shows up if you go down the stairs to the right.

Sydin posted:

I was terrified of that dude due to the floor being almost entirely red due to bloodstains haha

Kild posted:

Maybe explore the Mansion more?
I don't think i missed anything but i'll do anything that puts a wall between me and the pigs.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
Just had my first rage quit moment.

I got to Undead Purgatory and faced off against the boss. Other people in this thread had hinted at how to beat him, so I had a good idea of what I should be doing, and on my first go, I was doing really well. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention and wound up falling off a ledge to my death. That death was funny, I enjoyed that one, but every time I fought him after that has just been total loving bullshit. He managed to hit me while I was in a hiding spot. One of his minions somehow managed to get around my shield while I was waiting for a safe moment. Then there were a couple of deaths on my way back to fight him, but I finally gave up when I got tagged in a hiding spot again, survived with a pixel of health, then got stomped by his stupid, bony idiot friends. Now I'm writing this dumb post. Ugh!

Also, I saw a "tight spot" message written in what was, admittedly, a tight spot. I thought it was kind of funny, so I wrote the same message somewhere in the Shaded Ruins. It has about ten times the ratings of the next highest message.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mans posted:

When you use a bonfire ascetic on Majula, the skeleton in the basement multiplies. If you're that far into the NG+ chain you can end up with I believe a max of like ten spilling up the staircase after you and they will tear you a new rear end in a top hat if you're not ready. That, and newbs trying to kill Cale for his clothes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 28, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mans posted:

I was terrified of that dude due to the floor being almost entirely red due to bloodstains haha

I don't think i missed anything but i'll do anything that puts a wall between me and the pigs.

Oh if you killed the skeleton then its fully explored. Look at the tiny flame before the stairs then.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Do bloodstains from NG+ show up in NG? That... might explain a good number of the mysterious bloodstains I've spotted.

Like, I've lost track of how many chests I thought were mimics due to bloodstains. Nope, totally safe room, totally safe chest. Dude must have had a stroke or something.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

NuttO posted:

Just had my first rage quit moment.

I got to Undead Purgatory and faced off against the boss. Other people in this thread had hinted at how to beat him, so I had a good idea of what I should be doing, and on my first go, I was doing really well. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention and wound up falling off a ledge to my death. That death was funny, I enjoyed that one, but every time I fought him after that has just been total loving bullshit. He managed to hit me while I was in a hiding spot. One of his minions somehow managed to get around my shield while I was waiting for a safe moment. Then there were a couple of deaths on my way back to fight him, but I finally gave up when I got tagged in a hiding spot again, survived with a pixel of health, then got stomped by his stupid, bony idiot friends. Now I'm writing this dumb post. Ugh!

This is probably one of those things it's good to walk away from for a bit (and to remember that he's an optional boss, too), but when you give it another shot, try rolling past the wheel spikes rather than hiding in alcoves. This will let you get to the mages quicker, while the skeletons will always lag behind due to getting run over like chumps.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

HellCopter posted:

I see you've entirely missed the fourth leg of the game. If you've exhausted Licia's dialogue (the faith woman you meet after Dragonrider), try walking back to Heide's Tower of Flame.

And no, the final boss is not a large door. It is behind a large locked door, though. No, not that one.
I've already been to Huntsman Copse and beaten the Chariot. It led to a dead end with a little dude who wouldn't talk to me at first, and later offered to let me join some covenant. I've cleared Huntsman Copse so many times that it's now an empty ghosttown.

I've started going around clearing each area completely until nothing is left alive, that whiny old McDuff turned out to be quite useful when he dropped a titanite slab. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do enemies gain a poise bonus with summoned phantoms? I've noticed I can't stagger enemies when in Sunbro form.