Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Crusher posted:

Time for fun with Silver Talismans in Belfry Luna!

Of course it pays to be thorough, better check downstairs!

He broke every barrel and box but mine. Very considerate!

Eventually some help came to join the hunt. Nope, I'm not up there!

"Hmm, that barrel smells oddly of Old Spice."

We eventually became friends for a little bit!

But in the end, everyone died. The end!

Nice. I'm wondering, if you disguise yourself as an object, do you immediately change during the projectile windup if you do a spell or are you hidden for a a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Sanctum posted:

I've already been to Huntsman Copse and beaten the Chariot. It led to a dead end with a little dude who wouldn't talk to me at first, and later offered to let me join some covenant. I've cleared Huntsman Copse so many times that it's now an empty ghosttown.

I've started going around clearing each area completely until nothing is left alive, that whiny old McDuff turned out to be quite useful when he dropped a titanite slab. :haw:

Naah, there's another path. There's a bridge over a gap, but it's raised in the air. The switch is nearby.

And congratz, hope you weren't planning on infusing any weapons with elements this NG run! Or buying large titanite shards!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

poptart_fairy posted:

Do enemies gain a poise bonus with summoned phantoms? I've noticed I can't stagger enemies when in Sunbro form.
Yeah they do. I'm also fairly certain their poise recovers much faster as well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sanctum posted:

I've already been to Huntsman Copse and beaten the Chariot. It led to a dead end with a little dude who wouldn't talk to me at first, and later offered to let me join some covenant. I've cleared Huntsman Copse so many times that it's now an empty ghosttown.

I've started going around clearing each area completely until nothing is left alive, that whiny old McDuff turned out to be quite useful when he dropped a titanite slab. :haw:

Enjoy never being able to infuse weapons.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Do the Flaming Longsword and the regular-rear end Longsword have the same moveset?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Please, PC thread, continue killing vital NPCs for no reason. It's great.

woodenchicken posted:

Do the Flaming Longsword and the regular-rear end Longsword have the same moveset?

They're actually the same weapon. The Flame longsword is just "infused" with an element, much like can be done to any weapon in the game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
We're three games in at this point, you'd think people would learn not to kill anyone or anything that doesn't try and kill you first.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Uuungh they updated the game with a patch that fixed the HDMI/crash on startup issue. Finally playing it on the big screen in 1080P compared to 1600x900 on my monitor for the last few days, and it's amazing. :magical:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

HellCopter posted:

Naah, there's another path. There's a bridge over a gap, but it's raised in the air. The switch is nearby.

And congratz, hope you weren't planning on infusing any weapons with elements this NG run! Or buying large titanite shards!

Ponytail girl sells an unlimited amount of every non-elemental, non-slab titanite if you get far enough in the game though. But yeah, no infusions.

Petrified Dragon Bones are such a bitch to farm, but at least I got real good at killing ogres in Aldia's Keep while doing it.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Drangleic Castle boss:

You can stagger the Looking Glass Knight out of his summoning animation. :aaa:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

We're three games in at this point, you'd think people would learn not to kill anyone or anything that doesn't try and kill you first.

I was using the small soapstone in the Warf to farm some stones, and placing it right next to the house where Gavlan is.

Out of about 10 summons, 5 people attacked Gavlan for no reason.

3 of them died to Gavlan.

2 died to the trapped chest.

:negative:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Foxhound posted:

Petrified Dragon Bones are such a bitch to farm, but at least I got real good at killing ogres in Aldia's Keep while doing it.

I got quite a few (as well as a poo poo ton of infusion stones) from trading smooth and silky stones with the birdies in Things Betwixt. Worth a try, especially if you love to use small soapstones like I do.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Tip for those who are waiting for the game to drop in price: Nuuvem stil has Dark Souls II for R$84,99 which equals to €27,30 & $37,85.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I've discovered that Dark Souls III was leaked when Dark Souls got an About page in 2011:

quote:

You will face many unique, despair-inducing monsters. Survival means accepting you will die, learning from death and overcoming the ultimate challenge to reclaim your soul.The demons who rule this world gain their extraordinary power from the King’s Crowns. To retrieve the King’s Crowns and reach the flame of the world, you will have to face the White King Gwen and his knights, the witch Izarith and her evil daughters, the first dead, Nit, and the immortal and nameless shadow dwarves.

When you begin this adventure, you are soulless. You must emerge from the abyss to reclaim your soul in order to reach the land of the living. Make social connections, win games, find eggs and solve riddles—and increase your soul energy until you get your entire spiritual essence back. The gauge at the bottom of your dashboard numerically measures the amount of soul energy you have earned. Check your gauge each day to keep track of how much soul energy you have. Do your best to get your numbers high enough so you can say once and for all: Be gone, evil forces, my soul is mine and I am alive!

We've seen the Shadow Dwarves ancestors in Gavlan, Gwen is obviously Gwyn's lost son. The Eggs we will be collecting will be from the Dragons who will have reclaimed the world now the giants are gone, and we must bring them eggs to keep their rule strong.

The curse of the undead has been lifted but everyone needs to gain spiritual essence to return to normal, and you will have to log in every day or your essence will begin to degrade.

It was all there, we were just too blind to put it all together at the time...

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Is there another way to get the item if I don't let the scorpioness knock it down for me? It taunts my inner klepto.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Is there another way to get the item if I don't let the scorpioness knock it down for me? It taunts my inner klepto.

If it helps, it's basically garbage. A consumable.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So whats the situation with hackers? Ran into my first one today, infinite HP black phantom interrupting funtimes at the Belltower. Can I expect steam to crack down somehow, or is this GFWL all over again? Edit: I reported him, for what its worth. Just wondering if the steam report is the right channel.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 25, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

It's just a flame butterfly, I would let your inner kleptomaniac suffer a little for a bit. Normally the tree is destroyed by tricking the boss into ramming against it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Make social connections, win games, find eggs and solve riddles

is this like, neopets or something?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So on the subject of bell pvp, I spent all night backing people up in Luna by having beaten the gargs, and using their area as a safe point. I find that stepping in, letting it fog up, then going through the fog wall to disengage will buy you a minimal amount of safe time and I run through the hole, down to the stairs going to floor 2 and I put my sign just at the top of there. It's about a 60-40 chance I can get back without my sign disappearing. I didn't spend much time in Belfry Sol, is there any safe zones like that you can get in, sign, and get out quick to help back people up?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
When infusing weapons I should be looking at the ATK rating on the info page 2, not the damage on page 1, right?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Unless your name is Yurt or Lautrec.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So whats the situation with hackers? Ran into my first one today, infinite HP black phantom interrupting funtimes at the Belltower. Can I expect steam to crack down somehow, or is this GFWL all over again? Edit: I reported him, for what its worth. Just wondering if the steam report is the right channel.

Had one dude at the belfry who was using an infinite health cheat.

Since it's a spot where the PvP is more about just being a douche, I let it slide. Also, keeping him spam-stunlocked with dual cesti for like five straight minutes was actually sort of fun. Anyone who had the faintest clue would know how to handle that, but when you're bad enough at the game to where you need to cheat, you're just begging to be griefed.

I've discovered that Dark Souls III was leaked when Dark Souls got an About page in 2011:

quote:

You will face many unique, despair-inducing monsters. Survival means accepting you will die, learning from death and overcoming the ultimate challenge to reclaim your soul.The demons who rule this world gain their extraordinary power from the King’s Crowns. To retrieve the King’s Crowns and reach the flame of the world, you will have to face the White King Gwen and his knights, the witch Izarith and her evil daughters, the first dead, Nit, and the immortal and nameless shadow dwarves.

When you begin this adventure, you are soulless. You must emerge from the abyss to reclaim your soul in order to reach the land of the living. Make social connections, win games, find eggs and solve riddles—and increase your soul energy until you get your entire spiritual essence back. The gauge at the bottom of your dashboard numerically measures the amount of soul energy you have earned. Check your gauge each day to keep track of how much soul energy you have. Do your best to get your numbers high enough so you can say once and for all: Be gone, evil forces, my soul is mine and I am alive!

We've seen the Shadow Dwarves ancestors in Gavlan, Gwen is obviously Gwyn's lost son. The Eggs we will be collecting will be from the Dragons who will have reclaimed the world now the giants are gone, and we must bring them eggs to keep their rule strong.

The curse of the undead has been lifted but everyone needs to gain spiritual essence to return to normal, and you will have to log in every day or your essence will begin to degrade.

It was all there, we were just too blind to put it all together at the time...

Get VaatiVidya on this poo poo right now

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

When infusing weapons I should be looking at the ATK rating on the info page 2, not the damage on page 1, right?

Yes - looking at the "your overall stats" page lets you see your ATK after scaling has been taken into account.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ok so what do you need to do get fast roll in the heavy armors? Eat the diminishing returns on End and use multiple +load rings?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I found a piece of armour that says "resistance: fire" and has enormous pauldrons. Does it have any hidden resistance to fire or is the fire resistance displayed on the equipment screen all I can expect?

Also, of course I get that armour like half an hour after I upgraded the lesser version of it to +6. :argh:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Drangleic Castle boss:

You can stagger the Looking Glass Knight out of his summoning animation. :aaa:

What? I whaled on him with a +8 morningstar and he didn't as much as flinch

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 28, 2014

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You can stunlock Mytha in Earthen Peak with powerstanced maces L2. That fight was kind of trivialised when I found that out!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Any tips for the three sentinels in the Lost Bastille? I've died so many times to them now that all the minions between the bonfire and the fog door has gone extinct (Which was a relief, gently caress when you mispulled and got five guys swarming you at once). I can easily deal with the first on the ledge, but when the two remaining ones attack me at once I end up pretty dead.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

ymgve posted:

Any tips for the three sentinels in the Lost Bastille? I've died so many times to them now that all the minions between the bonfire and the fog door has gone extinct (Which was a relief, gently caress when you mispulled and got five guys swarming you at once). I can easily deal with the first on the ledge, but when the two remaining ones attack me at once I end up pretty dead.

Try to use phantoms if you can, it makes it much easier. You basically have the gist of the fight down if you're already dealing with the first guy on the ledge.

Also, from your description of the spawns, it seems like you aren't using the shortcut to the boss (from McDuffy's fire, go forward, turn right shortly after the big guy who previously tried to kick the barrel down the stairs at you, then simply run and drop down into the door in the wall), which would save you a lot of time running back.

Handy youtube of the shortcut in question

If you're dying enough that the enemies have stopped spawning, it's probably a hint that you should try a different area for now, get some levels in.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 28, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mindblast posted:

Ok so what do you need to do get fast roll in the heavy armors? Eat the diminishing returns on End and use multiple +load rings?

Stay under 70% carry weight + good agility. That is it. Lower encumberance = more roll distance.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
In other news, from software has been bought by another Japanese company.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

ymgve posted:

Summon a bro or two. Swarm the first one and divide yourselves among the remaining two.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

One more thing to add, if you have any ranged capabilities whatsoever, stay on the ledge and snipe the remaining two as much as you can.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Al-Saqr posted:

I just ran into an absolute perfect rendition of the 'WiiFit trainer' which was also her name. this game.

So did I! I helped her do the Lost Sinner. Wait, did we both help her at the same time?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

In other news, from software has been bought by another Japanese company.

Kadokawa is pretty big and respected though, I can't see it having any negative effects on them going forward.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Also, from your description of the spawns, it seems like you aren't using the shortcut to the boss (from McDuffy's fire, go forward, turn right shortly after the big guy who previously tried to kick the barrel down the stairs at you, then simply run and drop down into the door in the wall), which would save you a lot of time running back.

Handy youtube of the shortcut in question

I'm going to cry

you have no idea how many times I ran all the way there :sigh:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

HellCopter posted:

Kadokawa is pretty big and respected though, I can't see it having any negative effects on them going forward.

I just hope that FROM has the rights to Dark Souls and not Bandai-Namco.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

They do, Namco-Bandai just publishes the game in the US and the EU. FROM does all the legwork publishing the game in Japan, and fully owns the IP.

It's only Demon's Souls that FROM no longer has the rights to, which is why Dark Souls is called Dark Souls.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Vanderdeath posted:

Not that it would be the first time they need to change Souls due to licensing issues. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
So I've just recently started playing, killed 3 4 (forgot pursuer) bosses.
I cleared out a big part of the huntsman's copse and decided to buy the Cat Ring. Then explored the pit in Majula. Got to the bonfire down there, explored the rat place, fought an NPC phantom, homeward boned away from the rat spam thing, and then went exploring further down the hole, eventually getting to these suicide bomber guys that I managed to escape from alive. Didn't see what was in that chest across the bridge, though. I refrained from picking up the thing inside. For some reason the fact that it was slightly off center worried me, and I ran away from it after opening it and fell down into the suicide bomber area.

After that I plunged deeper and found The Gutter. Cautiously leapt past the poison spitting things onto the wooden house or whatever below, and tried to make my way down to the bonfire I could see.

Then I stepped on the wrong part of the house and it crumbled under my feet, plummeting me to my death with no chance of knowing that was there or how to avoid it.

I lost 6000 souls trying to get back there, the souls I had made killing rats and exploring. It's not a lot, but, my point is...

Dark Souls 2 recognizes what the first game did that made it interesting: a lot of times it subverts your expectation by throwing traps at you when you don't pay attention, whereas in most games you could just phone it in and ignore everything around you as long as you could do the combat, etc.

I like that about the first Souls game, but I feel like 2 just mimics it in a sort of tonedeaf way.
I dodged all of the albeit funny/clever traps up until that point and then died from something I could not predict no matter how smart I played. Feels dumb and makes me sad because I feel like I should trust the souls games to be fair and play by their own rules. I closed the game right after. Just felt gross.

Mostly Fake Edit: I also feel like this rapier is super OP but :shrug:

Lavender Philtrum fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 28, 2014