Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Fried Chicken posted:

Georgia passed a new gun law, allowing them to be carried drat near anywhere (including airports and churches, the former where the feds frown harshly, the latter where it has been a mortal sin for 800 years)

How is that working out?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/man-gun-causes-scare-during-childrens-baseball-gam/nfhJS/

gently caress the idea that a tool is a fashion accessory, a ritual totem, or a way to prove something.

Wait they're legal in airports? How exactly is that going to work because it sounds like a wonderful recipe for the TSA shooting/arresting some jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

It's legal to carry in the nonsterile part of the airport. Here's a graphic that I can't vouch the accuracy of (from floridacarry.org):

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I... somehow doubt that the New York part of that graphic is true?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Yes well for a lot of them who automatically believed that 2A was the exclusive domain of "the good guys" and not of people who intimidate families at children's baseball games, maybe this will be a valuable eye-opener about exactly the types of people they've decided to throw in their political lot with.

Glad we have such a well-reasoned argument as this, where anyone who has any political affiliation throws their political lot with anyone who has a shroud of similar beliefs. Did you know that Bernie Sanders and Paul Ryan are literally the same, because they both support the 1st Amendment?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

JT Jag posted:

I... somehow doubt that the New York part of that graphic is true?

I'm guessing it's airport carry laws specifically.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Rexicon1 posted:

Never engage sedanchair. Got it.

That's an unfair assessment. The original implication was that everyone was a man-child who fertilized his totem, and pointing out that they're as mocked as Libertarians are here is a valid counter to that.

With that logic, you could claim that D&D was pro-drunk driving due to a recent thread.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The Palin Presidency

Speaking Saturday at the National Rifle Association's "Stand And Fight" rally at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, the former Alaska governor and 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate accused the Obama administration of instating counterterrorism policies that "coddle adversaries."

"Come on. Enemies, who would utterly annihilate America, they who'd obviously have information on plots, to carry out Jihad. Oh, but you can't offend them, can't make them feel uncomfortable, not even a smidgen," she said. "Well, if I were in charge, they would know that waterboarding is how we'd baptize terrorists."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk4dD2L0RTk

Samurai Sanders posted:

Didn't a journalist or someone volunteer to have it done to them and was like "yep, it feels like dying"?

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

That would be everyone's favorite neocon warhawk, Christopher Hitchens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPubUCJv58.

Although some people have claimed that it was faked.

mdemone posted:

I don't think she thinks it's tame; I think she knows it's torture and is in favor of torturing terrorists. At least that's how the quote reads to me.
Hitch has also never said anything as blasphemous as that

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Job Truniht posted:

These are logical outcomes to their views, not crazy fantasies outside their imaginations. It baffles me.

Just like paying everbody a minimum wage of $100,000.00 per hour is the logical outcome for any argument in favor of raising it.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't say anything about brandishing or carrying or creating a public panic, it's strictly about ownership.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

My Q-Face posted:

Just like paying everbody a minimum wage of $100,000.00 per hour is the logical outcome for any argument in favor of raising it.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't say anything about brandishing or carrying or creating a public panic, it's strictly about ownership.

Yeah it isn't the outcome of the 2nd amendment, it is the outcome of a political discourse where affinity politics rules all, and antagonizing the "other" is a virtue rather than irresponsible behavior that gets slapped down.

See also: pouring oil down storm drains on earth day, swerving into bike lanes to intimidate riders, or about any "anti liberal" behavior in the Freep thread

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
To be fair, Fried Chicken, those people are trying to save America.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Sarah Palin: If I were in charge....they would know that waterboarding is how we baptize terrorists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7vdAlzh-jo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Harik posted:

The original implication was that everyone was a man-child who fertilized his totem...

I know you meant "fetishized" here but that is a wonderful malapropism.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Spatula City posted:

White straight men have almost nothing of value to say about the minority experience, and even when presented with absolute evidence of it, tend to deny it to hell and back. I know there's a chance I'd have been like that were it not for my liberal parents.

Protip for other straight white guys: if somebody you're talking to is not straight and/or white and/or male, and they want to talk about their experience being mistreated by society, SHUT THE gently caress UP, and say nothing other than "I'm sorry", "that sucks", and "I will try never to do that". WE KNOW NOTHING, FELLOW STRAIGHT WHITE GUYS. We can empathize, we can learn the facts, but we will never know the emotional truth because by accident of birth we won the Non-Persecution Lottery. Most people here probably know this anyway because SA's managed to drive out most of the A. Wyatt Mann types, but it bears saying anyway.

also The Wise Latinas would be a good name for a rock band.

Another forum I post on populated with a much more educationally and politically diverse but racially homogenous population than the groovy Disco of Debate has been whipped to a frenzy about the Cliven Bundy situation. The amount of "Bundy was taken out of context" apologism is alarming and I took a real stand calling people out on it for the last day or two and the most popular defense was "look here is a black dude who supports Bundy so obviously he couldn't actually be racist." It's really astounding.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mississippi's last abortion clinic heads to court today at the New Orleans appeals court to try to stay open against new restrictions from the legislature. The Texas version of this law was upheld, the Alabama version was struck down.

Also the SCOTUS is hearing arguments on protecting public employees from retribution for testifying against the government today

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Cimber posted:

Sarah Palin: If I were in charge....they would know that waterboarding is how we baptize terrorists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7vdAlzh-jo

I forgot how much of a word salad Palin's speeches were.

Also, that baptism quote is one of the most blasphemous things I've ever heard. And the cheering! That's just awful.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Gygaxian posted:

I forgot how much of a word salad Palin's speeches were.

Also, that baptism quote is one of the most blasphemous things I've ever heard. And the cheering! That's just awful.

Normally I find her a blathering idiot who I disregard and ignore, but I was really offended by the whole 'baptize' comment. Equating baptism with torture is egregious.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cimber posted:

Normally I find her a blathering idiot who I disregard and ignore, but I was really offended by the whole 'baptize' comment. Equating baptism with torture is egregious.

Yeah that's the sort of thing every Christian leader should be immediately condemning.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fried Chicken posted:

so if I go there now I won't find people arguing hearing protection is over rated? You want to toxx on that?

Arguing, or consensus? People say dumb things all the time in every forum, but yes, TFR consensus is going to be that you should wear your ear/eye protection if you like having all five senses, and that this Georgia guy was acting like a fuckhead.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cimber posted:

I'm not sure you could possibly hand Al-Queda a better recruiting bit than that. "America is going to come in, torture, and forcibly convert Muslims" has been their recruiting pitch for a while, and here we have the darling of the Republican Party saying it.

I'm certain that line was calculated to be as outrageous as possible to get it to go viral, get her speech repeated ad nauseum, get her more attention, and get her more money. It is insane that we have set up a positive feedback loop where stuff like this gets rewarded.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Gygaxian posted:

Over the years that I've been here, it's become very clear to me that if there's one thing American conservatives like to do, it's to claim to stand for some set of principles while at the same time trampling those principles with their feet. Just remember that woman at the 2004 GOP national convention who proudly wore and displayed a bunch of band-aids with purple heart designs on them in order to ridicule John Kerry's military record. From that point on, that's just the degree of cognitive dissonance and mean-spiritedness I've come to expect from those corners.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Arguing, or consensus? People say dumb things all the time in every forum, but yes, TFR consensus is going to be that you should wear your ear/eye protection if you like having all five senses, and that this Georgia guy was acting like a fuckhead.

Nope, the TFR consensus on Georgia guy is "loving wussy liberals" and then moving on to demonstrating a complete lack of knowledge about the history of the NRA, political organizing, lobbying, and political money pools so they can agree "loving wussy liberals"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3579936&perpage=40&pagenumber=136#post428826919

Congrats in getting me to waste 5 minutes of my life confirming that years later, TFR is still filled with goons

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Looks like this guy can't catch a break after threatening to throw a reporter off the balcony.

N.Y. Rep. Grimm in custody, faces criminal charges

quote:

Grimm has acknowledged that he received $250,000 to $300,000 in campaign donations from followers of Yoshiyahu Yosef Pinto, an Israeli rabbi. Some of Pinto's followers in New York have said they made tens of thousands of dollars in illegal campaign contributions to Grimm, including gifts passed through straw donors.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/28/michael-grimm-indicted-congress/8386217/

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Lote posted:

Looks like this guy can't catch a break after threatening to throw a reporter off the balcony.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/28/michael-grimm-indicted-congress/8386217/

Man, some people really are their own punishment aren't they?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Lote posted:

Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.), found to be exonerated for his threats against a reporter, as he had good reason to aggressively avoid questions about his campaign finance.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Fried Chicken posted:

Nope, the TFR consensus on Georgia guy is "loving wussy liberals" and then moving on to demonstrating a complete lack of knowledge about the history of the NRA, political organizing, lobbying, and political money pools so they can agree "loving wussy liberals"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3579936&perpage=40&pagenumber=136#post428826919

Congrats in getting me to waste 5 minutes of my life confirming that years later, TFR is still filled with goons

None of the posts are like that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm not sure you could possibly hand Al-Queda a better recruiting bit than that. "America is going to come in, torture, and forcibly convert Muslims" has been their recruiting pitch for a while, and here we have the darling of the Republican Party saying it.

I'm certain that line was calculated to be as outrageous as possible to get it to go viral, get her speech repeated ad nauseum, get her more attention, and get her more money. It is insane that we have set up a positive feedback loop where stuff like this gets rewarded.

It's...it's almost like she's the American version of Al Quaida?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

effectual posted:

It's...it's almost like she's the American version of Al Quaida?

Did you see the video of her being prayed over when she first accepted the vice presidential nomination? They were specifically praying that she be protected from 'witches'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkb9_zB2Pg

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Did you not read the one he quoted?

infrared35 posted:

And of course now Moms Demand Common Sense Measures for Eliminating Things That Might Harm Their Precious Snowflakes in Every Town Across America is flooding facebook with this story.

"Oh those parents, protecting their children from idiots brandishing guns around them. Pfft, what a bunch of reactionary wuss bags."

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Who What Now posted:

Did you not read the one he quoted?

"Oh those parents, protecting their children from idiots brandishing guns around them. Pfft, what a bunch of reactionary wuss bags."

Did you not read the title of the link? "Georgia gun owner, stayin' classy". And MDA deserves to be mocked at every turn.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Did you not read the title of the link? "Georgia gun owner, stayin' classy".

Knowing TFR I wouldn't be surprised if that was meant unironically.

quote:

And MDA deserves to be mocked at every turn.

MDA specifically, maybe, but there's nothing crazy or unreasonable about parents not wanting gun-toting morons around their kids.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't know if you noticed, but this entire website is filled with goons.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

forbidden lesbian posted:

….ah! poo poo! You're right! :supaburn:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Fried Chicken posted:

I think 'gun owner' is a liberal dog whistle for white trash.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are getting so up in arms about TFR being full of idiots. If I said YOSPOS was full of Linux loving antisocial shut ins would anyone blink? If I mentioned that posters in Games were writing rape and murder fantasies for female NPCs of the other faction of their MMO would anyone be surprised? If I said most D&D posters get their information from Comedy Central rather than actual news or understanding issues and events, would people disagree? Most posters on this site roll their eyes at effort posts about any of the topics of the sub forums and say "comedy site" to mock in depth discussion.

But mention TFR is full of people who fetish guns rather than practice proper care and handling, and it's harumphing and grumbling.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Except for the ones immediately following the c/p of that article.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cheekio posted:

I think 'gun owner' is a liberal dog whistle for white trash.
Now that I think about it? Yeah. If you own a gun and take price in identifying as a "gun owner" you're probably loving trash. It's more of a self-applied dog whistle to me, though, because if you just happen to own a gun and you don't bring it up all the loving time, who gives a poo poo? It's like people who play games versus HARDCORE GAMERS, etc.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are getting so up in arms about TFR being full of idiots. If I said YOSPOS was full of Linux loving antisocial shut ins would anyone blink? If I mentioned that posters in Games were writing rape and murder fantasies for female NPCs of the other faction of their MMO would anyone be surprised? If I said most D&D posters get their information from Comedy Central rather than actual news or understanding issues and events, would people disagree? Most posters on this site roll their eyes at effort posts about any of the topics of the sub forums and say "comedy site" to mock in depth discussion.

But mention TFR is full of people who fetish guns rather than practice proper care and handling, and it's harumphing and grumbling.

I'm not sure if you think I'm "up in arms", but I was just pointing out that calling people goons isn't really saying anything about them.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

I just spent like 5 mins in there and everyone there is p dumb.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

All the regulars know their poo poo. Morons tend to get ostracized pretty quickly. You just hate gun owners, admit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fried Chicken posted:

You seem to have a firm grasp on people. Have you considered going to therapy?

• Locked thread