Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a book available specifically for Manga Studio 5 (I think it's called "Mastering Manga Studio 5") as well as a short e-book describing the ruler function. The "Manga Studio for Dummies" book is out-of-date.

I've been thinking of making some brush packs for MS5, and if I do I'll post them here. I already have a bunch of tree branch ones but they're pretty crappy at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Operant posted:

Cheers all! My linework is pretty messy and rough a lot of the time, I compensate through coloring and paneling. I would like to refine it more but I dont really have the time. When I turn this thing into some kind of print format I will spend about a month or two cleaning/coloring/re-doing pages.

Well poo poo, I didn't read that part. Yeah, I notice now that the lineart is wonky and doesn't really give the characters any form, but the coloring balances that out and it comes out looking great again.

Through, I went ahead and redrew a few of your works in ink to see how those would work, would you mind me posting them in here to see what I tried to do with the lineart?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

TheGreekOwl posted:

Well poo poo, I didn't read that part. Yeah, I notice now that the lineart is wonky and doesn't really give the characters any form, but the coloring balances that out and it comes out looking great again.

Through, I went ahead and redrew a few of your works in ink to see how those would work, would you mind me posting them in here to see what I tried to do with the lineart?

Sure!

Going to finish that page up today and probably fix up the site - haven't done anything for the image sizes yet, Raan, but I'll let you know if it doesn't work out.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I always whine about how it takes me so ~*tragically long*~ to do a page or get a scene done. Lately I've been playing a sad song about taking longer to finish pages than I used to, back when I cut so many corners all I had was a circle and hardly did a third of the steps I do now.
I decided this time around to time myself, just log how long I worked each time I sat down at my desk, in order to find out how long it took me to sketch, ink, and fully color- basically to complete- a four-page scene.

Twenty hours.

I need to stop whining about ANYTHING.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've found I work faster and more efficiently when I tackle my work like an assembly line. Day 1 thumbnail/script/whatever a bunch of pages, day 2 pencil, day 3 finish up, day 4 fix any problems now that I have a fresh eye and scan.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

al-azad posted:

I've found I work faster and more efficiently when I tackle my work like an assembly line. Day 1 thumbnail/script/whatever a bunch of pages, day 2 pencil, day 3 finish up, day 4 fix any problems now that I have a fresh eye and scan.

That might have been part of the key to my surprising efficiency this time. I did everything in swoops instead of going page by page.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Operant posted:

Cheers all! My linework is pretty messy and rough a lot of the time, I compensate through coloring and paneling. I would like to refine it more but I dont really have the time. When I turn this thing into some kind of print format I will spend about a month or two cleaning/coloring/re-doing pages.

One thing I've noticed, general visual flawlessness aside, is that your linework does seem to suffer from "tabletness". Do you currently scan rough pencils and digitally ink directly over them? Have you considered inking them by hand? I've noticed my line wobbliness would usually go down 90% whenever I decided to suck it up and risk making a mess in the no ctrl+z dimension.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like Operant's wobbly lines. It's easy enough to get those smooth crisp perfect digital lines, but Operant's messy organic linework lends K6BD a neat sort of energy and shakiness that seems to fit in perfectly with the world he's depicting, and especially with Allison's disturbed and confused mental state.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Operant posted:

Sure!

Going to finish that page up today and probably fix up the site - haven't done anything for the image sizes yet, Raan, but I'll let you know if it doesn't work out.

Here it is~

Obviously I am not that good at coloring as you are, your coloring completely hides the sketchiness of the line art and makes it great. But I tried to redraw some of the elements and here was the result.

Anywyas, back to drawing my own stuff.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Nice! Interesting to see my stuff in a different style!

And there we are. Hopefully you guys have gleaned something from this. Off to figure out how to get page sizing working properly with my big pages.

AntiqueCowboy
Jul 31, 2005
Okay punk, listen up. I don't like your face. That's not a good thing.
My only gripe is the inconsistent borders for the panels. But man does that page look great

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I spent today printing out a copy of my mini comic. It turned out well! Two people have sent me ads for their stuff so far, and I've still got about a page and a half to fill with ads before I can print more copies out. I'm pretty happy with my cover too. It's definitely better than the cover that's currently on the website.

I'll probably print 10 copies out and sell them for $2.

heysawbones
Jul 3, 2011

ride or cry.
I still can't tell if working over old art is faster or slower than working from scratch, and I've done six pages of these, now.

I hated this page. I hope things go a bit better, this time. I think they will.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

If anyone in this thread is seeking some feedback on their comic in the form of a review, please shoot me a PM. Doesn't matter if your comic is old/"established" or if it's fairly new and rough. There's a little event going on for a few weeks that may be of interest to you.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

Guess I can post this here

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

You should sign your work someplace! It's cute, and it's the kind of thing (a self-contained strip with a joke, doesn't need continuity to understand) that people would repost without source.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

sweeperbravo posted:

If anyone in this thread is seeking some feedback on their comic in the form of a review, please shoot me a PM. Doesn't matter if your comic is old/"established" or if it's fairly new and rough. There's a little event going on for a few weeks that may be of interest to you.

What sort of review are you talking about?

I think I probably get enough criticism from this thread that I already know where most of my flaws are and am, gradually working on them.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

sweeperbravo posted:

I don't have PMs :saddowns:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

I have to 'establish' a little more, I don't know if it will be in time.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

Plankhandles posted:

You should sign your work someplace! It's cute, and it's the kind of thing (a self-contained strip with a joke, doesn't need continuity to understand) that people would repost without source.

Ahh I didn't think of that! I usually sign my pics, but I guess it slipped my mind

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Fortis posted:

I don't have PMs :saddowns:
I went to your website to see if you had contact info for an email there and couldn't find anything :(
Want to send me an email instead? The address is typed out in the last paragraph of this page.

heysawbones
Jul 3, 2011

ride or cry.

sweeperbravo posted:

I don't think I've got enough pages for that, yet. What exactly are you planning to do?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I went to a Lady Geek Nite at the comic book store today. I had my proto-comic with me and one girl asked "Oh, are you the artist for this comic? If you ever need any help with drawing, just let me know." I enjoyed chatting with her a lot about art and comics, and now that I'm home, I'm only just realizing that she must have offered her help because my cover is so terrible. :/

Bah, whatever. What's done is done. Here is the cover in question. This is my final version; I've spent far too much time on it as it is. I still think it's leaps better than the art inside and one of the better things I've drawn lately. I'm slowly, but surely improving!

And here's what I ended up doing at my art class this week.:)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nessa posted:

I went to a Lady Geek Nite at the comic book store today. I had my proto-comic with me and one girl asked "Oh, are you the artist for this comic? If you ever need any help with drawing, just let me know." I enjoyed chatting with her a lot about art and comics, and now that I'm home, I'm only just realizing that she must have offered her help because my cover is so terrible. :/

Bah, whatever. What's done is done. Here is the cover in question. This is my final version; I've spent far too much time on it as it is. I still think it's leaps better than the art inside and one of the better things I've drawn lately. I'm slowly, but surely improving!

You have the right attitude and take criticism well so don't worry if you aren't where you want to be just yet. Your portrait shows a ton of improvement; that eye shape is especially nice. Just keep pushing those fundamentals with those art classes and you'll have no where to go but up. You are definitely on the right path so keep at it!

Also if you have the time and extra funds, ask around in your art class if there are any open life drawing sessions they frequent. The more observational drawing you do the faster you'll grow and it is pretty much impossible to do too much of it. Open sessions usually don't have instructors helping out, but you can bring in your work done in those sessions to your class and get some good feedback. Most art teachers, and your peers in the class, will be happy to give advice even for work you don't do in that class.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Nessa posted:

There's nothing slow about your improvement. Your cover is good enough that I'd stop to read your comic if I was browsing, which is saying a lot in a world of infinite comics, but "Beginnings- Part one" is an incredibly vague title. I can tell it's probably going to be a magical girl comic from the costume and the cat thing, but I don't really know anything else. If you hate yourself enough to open up that file with the cover again, maybe mention something about the key than just 'beginnings'. 'The Oneiroi's Key', 'The Key to Dreams', 'Heather takes a nap', 'The girl from Persona 2 falls through the TV', just something vaguely descriptive.

Also, that person who offered to help you wouldn't have bothered if she didn't think you were worth helping.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
You've been improving incredibly quickly, Nessa. Seriously. Compare the cover to your first page! And all in a matter of months.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

JuniperCake posted:

You have the right attitude and take criticism well so don't worry if you aren't where you want to be just yet. Your portrait shows a ton of improvement; that eye shape is especially nice. Just keep pushing those fundamentals with those art classes and you'll have no where to go but up. You are definitely on the right path so keep at it!

Also if you have the time and extra funds, ask around in your art class if there are any open life drawing sessions they frequent. The more observational drawing you do the faster you'll grow and it is pretty much impossible to do too much of it. Open sessions usually don't have instructors helping out, but you can bring in your work done in those sessions to your class and get some good feedback. Most art teachers, and your peers in the class, will be happy to give advice even for work you don't do in that class.

I know where there are life drawing sessions I can get to. $10 for 3 hours. I've gone a few times before, but that was years ago now. I tend to stop going out to things when it gets cold and then I forget to start going again. :/

My art class doesn't seem to really have time for feedback on anything, though I'm sure my instructor would be accommodating. Maybe one or two other people in my class of nine has ever drawn before. The only other two people who understood the concept of perspective without being told about it first. It's a beginners course.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

There's nothing slow about your improvement. Your cover is good enough that I'd stop to read your comic if I was browsing, which is saying a lot in a world of infinite comics, but "Beginnings- Part one" is an incredibly vague title. I can tell it's probably going to be a magical girl comic from the costume and the cat thing, but I don't really know anything else. If you hate yourself enough to open up that file with the cover again, maybe mention something about the key than just 'beginnings'. 'The Oneiroi's Key', 'The Key to Dreams', 'Heather takes a nap', 'The girl from Persona 2 falls through the TV', just something vaguely descriptive.

Also, that person who offered to help you wouldn't have bothered if she didn't think you were worth helping.

Beginnings is pretty vague, but I needed a title for this chapter, and that's all I could think of! My webcomic cover has the same title, since I can file things as chapters on Comicfury. I needed to have a title when I put up my first page and that's all I could think of on the spot. I could change it though. It would just mean going through all of my uploaded pages on Comicfury and changing the chapter, as well as my original cover.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, absolutely change the title. Anything you can do to give potential readers a hint of what's going on is good. At the very least, be able to stand out from the eighty jillion other works that are starting out with "Beginnings."

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, absolutely change the title. Anything you can do to give potential readers a hint of what's going on is good. At the very least, be able to stand out from the eighty jillion other works that are starting out with "Beginnings."

Okay, I will change the title.

How about just "The Oneiroi".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nessa posted:

Okay, I will change the title.

How about just "The Oneiroi".

As a general point 'The (Proper Noun)' is really unlikely to be very evocative or interesting for an uninitiated reader, though it is certainly common.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I might pick it up, but partly just because I know what "Oneiroi" means.

Going with your magical girl theme, it might be worth your while to steal the conventions of Japanese titling. For example, the first episode of Sailormoon is titled "Crybaby Usagi's Magnificent Transformation," which tells the reader exactly what they're in for without really giving away much.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

Going with your magical girl theme, it might be worth your while to steal the conventions of Japanese titling. For example, the first episode of Sailormoon is titled "Crybaby Usagi's Magnificent Transformation," which tells the reader exactly what they're in for without really giving away much.

That's a really hilarious title.

I will think about titles today.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Nessa posted:

If you're still drawing a blank, it is super okay to just write 'CHAPTER ONE' or, if you're feeling fancy, 'CHAPTER I' in lieu of a phrase or title. Going by chapter is acceptable, but is still better than leaving a really boring chapter title in it's place.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Puppy Time posted:

Ok, i'll bite, but I really don't want to come across as that Greek guy.

Όνειρα in Modern Greek means Dreams. It comes from Όνειρος or Όνειροι (emphasis on the first syllabe), who were the persofinications of dreams.

Having a word in another language for a title is good sometimes, but here I would name it "The Oneira" or "The Honira" if I am feeling like butchering my Greek language today, as the first is the modern Greek translations of the word.

---

Speaking of which, I did a thing~

Its the equipment on of my soldiers will carrying in a comic, I did this in two hours just for funs and giggles

"But GreekOwl, that face is wrong and silly, and the pose is obviously stolen fro-"

Shut up you, here is my response to that

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Wait, what is your comic actually going to be about? Didn't you post a bunch of Griffin characters earlier? Is this gonna be like Soldiers Vs. Griffins? pleasesayyes:swoon:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

TheGreekOwl posted:

Ok, i'll bite, but I really don't want to come across as that Greek guy.

Όνειρα in Modern Greek means Dreams. It comes from Όνειρος or Όνειροι (emphasis on the first syllabe), who were the persofinications of dreams.

Having a word in another language for a title is good sometimes, but here I would name it "The Oneira" or "The Honira" if I am feeling like butchering my Greek language today, as the first is the modern Greek translations of the word.

"Oneiroi" is referring to the little pink dude on the cover, actually. It's a species of little winged things that rule over human dreams. I've made it my mascot character.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Nessa posted:

I'm a STUPID NEWBIE to titles myself, but I think an extra good title (or sub-title or chapter name or whatever) is one that both lays out what's up ahead and has a "hook" or a mystery that might make the reader curious. For example, say, "What I learnt in the Dark Dimension". The immediate reaction is "what hey i want to know WHAT they learnt in the dark dimension!! i guess i'll have to read it to find out!!".
In this case, I guess it could be, like, "The Gift of the Oneiroi"? "At the other end of the portal"? I don't know. Just remember to formulate the sentence in such a way that immediately creates a question that can only be solved by reading the book!

The only thing I'd suggest is not actually using the word "dream" in the chapter title, since the comic's already named "dreamers". The last thing you'd want is to channel the worst of the 90's by coming up with "YOUNGDREAM AND DREAMSHOT IN: DREAM PATROL: FIRST DREAM (THIS DREAM'S FOR YOU!!)"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"Dream Patrol" sounds like a neat idea for a comic. I'd read it.

marlowe can you go
Oct 13, 2011

Nessa posted:

"Oneiroi" is referring to the little pink dude on the cover, actually. It's a species of little winged things that rule over human dreams. I've made it my mascot character.

Everyone in this thread is being very nice, probably because they want to encourage you. Your comic is so bad that worrying about the title is the most trivial thing.

I'm not trying to troll you or anything. It's just a very, very bad comic. The style you are drawing in is probably actively hurting your artistic growth. This weird, stilted '12 year old kid just got their first 'how to draw manga' book' is ugly AND boring. The reason you've been drawing for so long and are still this bad is probably because of trying to draw like this. The reason you're getting better now is thanks to the critique of people in this thread and the fact that you're going to art classes and doing stuff like those egg exercises.

If drawing this comic is a fun thing for you, then I guess don't stop, but it's crazy that you want to print copies of this out and take them to some con.

And it's not just the art. The whole story is some of the most derivative, bland 'magical girl' stuff I've ever seen. You do realize that right? Like I said, if it's just something you're doing for your own pleasure, then whatever, but it's kind of an embarrassing thing to share with the world. I am seriously curious at this point though, whether you're self aware or not.

Do you even see the problems with this? Not the art, which is obviously bad, but with...everything??

Girl sees loving bizarre huge glowing purple vortex mirror and asks herself with a perfectly blank expression 'some kind of mirror?' while another girl watches the same extremely unbelievable sight with another perfectly blank expression and then they have a few lines of awkward stilted dialogue before being pulled in.

Oh yeah, just got sucked into another dimension through a crazy mirror, no need to panic or anything, let's introduce each other. It's like they just missed a step on a staircase instead of finding themselves in an insane surreal dreamscape.

This is a bad comic. It will probably never be good because every single little thing from the ground up is bad. So yeah, I wouldn't worry about the title right now! (Also your mascot thing looks like a ripoff of that cat thing from Puella Magi Madoka Magica but maybe this is just a trope in anime that everyone does or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I'm getting ready to start my webcomic by the end of this month (maybe on June 1st just for ease of picking a date - but that would be at the latest) and while I'm working on longer comics pieces I've also been doing daily pieces like the ones I posted earlier.

So, here are a few daily bits to see as examples before I ask my question:

Here's one of the longer stories:

I don't currently have a scanner but will be picking one up and scanning everything to get good copies before the launch, so ignore the terrible image quality on the daily images.

My question is about how I should approach updates. I've been managing to do this daily thing for weeks and been working myself up to establishing this habit since the beginning of the year but I'm not sure if I should post daily or not. I like having the short and longer, more complicated pieces as separate things. The daily strips are little snapshots of where I am while everything else will come with a little more distance and perspective. I think the juxtaposition will prove interesting.

And, honestly, I'm just having a blast doing both types of pieces so I want to get mileage out of all of them.

If I don't post these daily strips literally daily (instead doing them in chunks), what kind of schedule should I do? My thought was maybe a weekly update with however many daily strips I complete (so if I do 5 or 6 in a week I don't miss an update because of a hectic day or road trip or something), but maybe a twice a week update would keep readers more engaged.

For the longer stories, I was thinking I'd commit to have a "deluxe" tale or whatever I decide to call them once a month. They vary greatly in scope and complexity (the one above is probably the simplest of the larger format stories I've done), so I want to be sure I have plenty of time to not get behind on those.

I realize that the schedule can change over time based on what organically happens as I get this going and go about living life as well, but I want to have something that's fairly sustainable right from the start. If I have to adjust it a bit a few months in that's one thing, but I don't want to screw up in the first week.

fake edit: You keep on rocking, Nessa. You're working hard and enjoying yourself and that's all that really matters. Even if this comic doesn't become the next Little Nemo or something, your next one will be better because you did this one.

• Locked thread