Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah there is a PC version of that app though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dogen posted:

Yeah there is a PC version of that app though.

PC? You means windows? I use Linux & android and ChromeOS, anything without a WebUI just seems like a pain in the arse.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

wooger posted:

PC? You means windows? I use Linux & android and ChromeOS, anything without a WebUI just seems like a pain in the arse.

Yeah I used to think that too, but really it's something you mess with once and then never again. Only windows and mac (and ios) apps so far as I know.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Dogen posted:

Yeah I used to think that too, but really it's something you mess with once and then never again. Only windows and mac (and ios) apps so far as I know.

I'm not sure how the Airport Extreme could be better than the Netgear 900 AC router I got. The Netgear router was cheaper, looks more like a ship from Star Wars, and has ridiculous range and transfer capabilities.

The Web UI is fine, but not flashy. Although I guess if you wanted more abilities you could flash it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have a VPN connection set up to my home EdgeRouter Lite using PPTP. Today I tried it out from work for the first time using the Windows VPN connection manager thing.

It connected, but then my computer started stuttering really bad... like, I could only move the mouse an inch or so every 15 seconds. That went away when I was able to disconnect from the VPN.

Any ideas? Are there any clients I can use for a PPTP connection other than the built-in Windows connection?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dogen posted:

I can see it being an issue if you have 0 Windows/OS X/iOS devices, but for the purposes of this thread that's about as "edge case" as you can be.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

QPZIL posted:

I have a VPN connection set up to my home EdgeRouter Lite using PPTP. Today I tried it out from work for the first time using the Windows VPN connection manager thing.

It connected, but then my computer started stuttering really bad... like, I could only move the mouse an inch or so every 15 seconds. That went away when I was able to disconnect from the VPN.

Any ideas? Are there any clients I can use for a PPTP connection other than the built-in Windows connection?

The stuttering is likely unrelated to PPTP, but PPTP sucks (is insecure) anyway and you should be using L2TP/IPsec instead. Here's how to set it up on the EdgeRouter (similar commands to PPTP), and here's how to configure the Windows client.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The AEBS needs Airport Utility which is available for Mac and Windows. No Linux unfortunately but I bet it would run in an instance of VirtualBox or Crossover.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It will even run in Wine.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
If I was looking into buying some powerline networking equipment intended for use in gaming, what product would you recommend most? I'm in a position where I cannot move the router, and I know wireless will not provide the connection I am looking for, so I am looking at powerline. It kinda sounds too good to be true, to be honest.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looks like the 802.11ac AEBS and Time Capsule are vulnerable to Heartbleed. A firmware update for those devices just went out that patches the issue. Earlier AEBS and TC models are not affected.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Looks like the 802.11ac AEBS and Time Capsule are vulnerable to Heartbleed. A firmware update for those devices just went out that patches the issue. Earlier AEBS and TC models are not affected.

It looks like these are only affected if Back to my Mac or Diagnostics are turned on, fortunately.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
So I just moved into a new house and for the time being I'm using an old router (Asus RT-N10+) running dd-wrt to connect my desktop to our wireless network in client mode. This thing is pretty low-end so it seems like client bridge mode is not available (it's completely missing from the dropdown where it should be).

The basic setup is like this:

Main router network: 192.168.1.x
Client router network: 192.168.2.x

I'm unable to access my desktop from any computers connected to the main router, but I can access things on the 192.168.1.x network from my desktop. How can I fix this? I assume I probably just need to do something like add a route to the 192.168.2.x network via the client router's IP. But please just give me a sanity check here.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Another Person posted:

If I was looking into buying some powerline networking equipment intended for use in gaming, what product would you recommend most? I'm in a position where I cannot move the router, and I know wireless will not provide the connection I am looking for, so I am looking at powerline. It kinda sounds too good to be true, to be honest.

Any of the v2 stuff will work. I have these and they work great. Make sure they're the v2 500Mbps. I get around 120mbit real world connection.

tijag posted:

I'm not sure how the Airport Extreme could be better than the Netgear 900 AC router I got. The Netgear router was cheaper, looks more like a ship from Star Wars, and has ridiculous range and transfer capabilities.

The Web UI is fine, but not flashy. Although I guess if you wanted more abilities you could flash it.

In my opinion the Apple Airport Extreme's main benefits are twofold

1- Hardware, Apple is known not to cut corners on their hardware. The airport extreme uses very nice broadcom chips and pairs it with 512MB of RAM

2- The software running on the hardware. Airport Extremes runs VxWorks embedded OS, instead of an embedded Linux kernel. It seems to handle high traffic loads much better than some embedded Linux systems.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

ErikTheRed posted:

So I just moved into a new house and for the time being I'm using an old router (Asus RT-N10+) running dd-wrt to connect my desktop to our wireless network in client mode. This thing is pretty low-end so it seems like client bridge mode is not available (it's completely missing from the dropdown where it should be).

I'm unable to access my desktop from any computers connected to the main router, but I can access things on the 192.168.1.x network from my desktop. How can I fix this? I assume I probably just need to do something like add a route to the 192.168.2.x network via the client router's IP. But please just give me a sanity check here.

There are a few things that could be going wrong, but why not put your desktop on the same subnet as your main network? I don't know which options are missing in your dd-wrt setup, but is it working enough that you can follow this config instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Naffer posted:

There are a few things that could be going wrong, but why not put your desktop on the same subnet as your main network? I don't know which options are missing in your dd-wrt setup, but is it working enough that you can follow this config instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

Ideally this is what I would do, but as I mentioned before the "client bridge" mode is not available on my router. I think it's using a limited version of dd-wrt because of the low amount of flash on the router.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

ErikTheRed posted:

Ideally this is what I would do, but as I mentioned before the "client bridge" mode is not available on my router. I think it's using a limited version of dd-wrt because of the low amount of flash on the router.

Sorry, you're right. That router uses an Ralink chipset that doesn't support client bridged mode. Have you tried turning off all the firewall options on the client router?

Failing that you can try setting it up as a repeater bridge with a startup script containing "ifconfig ra0 down"
Some details are here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=686014
and here is someone's (perhaps unsuccessful) attempt to do something like this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=178446&highlight=

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Quick Ubiquiti review: I recently decided to dump my old Linksys WRT54GL and upgrade to something a touch more current. I gave in to ego and a vague notion that fewer boxes == better than, so I tried to replace both the WRT54GL and my ethernet switch with a Ubiquitu Edgerouter + Unifi AP. That was stupid insofar as the fans on the Edgerouter made a ruckus all out of proportion to my puny needs. I RMA'd it and replaced it with an Edgerouter POE, which was actually a better fit for my needs all around. The initial setup wizard has a SOHO option that gives you an uplink port, a 3 port switch, and the fifth port on its own isolated network. That works out neatly to putting my personal desktop, the Unifi AP, and my TPLink switch together on one network and my company laptop on its own network. By contrast, it took me about ten minutes of Googling to figure out how to get the big Edgerouter configured to bridge 6 of the ports together and get it all working smoothly.

Download speeds via my Comcast connection went from 45mbps wired/20 wireless to 55-57mbps for all clients. Vroom. The boost in wireless performance was expected (N being presumably faster than G) but I didn't expect to see benefit from the new router for wired connections. Outside of speedtest.net I don't know that it's actually mattered but it makes me feel nice.

ATM I have no particular plans to take full advantage of any advanced features the Ubiquiti gear might have, but I feel geekier just knowing it's there.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Recommendation for ~24 port gigabit switch supporting 802.3ad ?

I need a switch for my home network. Looks like about 24 ports, and needs to support 802.3ad for link aggregation of my FreeNAS server.
Would like to keep it as cheap as possible (but without buying a piece of crap).

A couple I've found so far:

Cisco SG200-26 (~$245)
HP 1810-24g v2 (~$237)

Any thoughts?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

crm posted:

Recommendation for ~24 port gigabit switch supporting 802.3ad ?

HP 1810-24g v2 (~$237)

We have 2 of them in our home/office now for about 2/3 years and they have worked flawlessly really reliable effortless kit, same as all other HP switches I have used in the past tbh. Although the main reason why we went for them over the alternatives like that Cisco is that in the UK the smaller HP switches are really cheap e.g. Just quick google and lowest price was £140, while the Cisco is about £240.

Edit: Just checked and ours are the v1 of the models, but the reliability etc probably still stands.

ukle fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 24, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah the HP 1810-24g is a fantastic switch for the price. I have one at home that I love.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Would I have any problem adding these to the network as well with one of those HPs?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=7857&seq=1&format=2

Network would look like

pre:
cable modem
+ ubiquiti edge router poe
  + 3 x unifi aps
  + HP 24 port managed switch
    + 5 x 8 port switches
    + assorted other devices

crm fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 24, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You shouldn't. That's one hell of a home network. 3 AP's?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I feel geekier just knowing it's there.

The national anthem of SH/SC.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

skipdogg posted:

You shouldn't. That's one hell of a home network. 3 AP's?

3 stories, and almost 5.6k sqft due to basement suite

maybe it's overkill

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ErikTheRed posted:

Sounds like a NAT problem; I assume your second router is NATing for your desktop so the desktop tries to hit 192.168.1.x, sees that it's not on the same broadcast domain and shoots the traffic to the default gateway (your second router), which then forwards the traffic out its wan interface, such that the traffic appears to be coming from 192.168.1.whatever is on your second router to whatever device you're hitting. When you try to go the other way, though, and reach your desktop at 192.168.2.x from a device on 192.168.1.0/24, it will see it's on a different subnet and forward to the primary router, which won't know what the hell to do with it.

If I'm right, you might be able to make this work by setting up port forwarding on your second router to your desktop, then trying to reach it from the .1.0 network using the second router's .1.x:xxxx address. If that makes any sense.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

VorpalFish posted:

Sounds like a NAT problem; I assume your second router is NATing for your desktop so the desktop tries to hit 192.168.1.x, sees that it's not on the same broadcast domain and shoots the traffic to the default gateway (your second router), which then forwards the traffic out its wan interface, such that the traffic appears to be coming from 192.168.1.whatever is on your second router to whatever device you're hitting. When you try to go the other way, though, and reach your desktop at 192.168.2.x from a device on 192.168.1.0/24, it will see it's on a different subnet and forward to the primary router, which won't know what the hell to do with it.

If I'm right, you might be able to make this work by setting up port forwarding on your second router to your desktop, then trying to reach it from the .1.0 network using the second router's .1.x:xxxx address. If that makes any sense.

I ended up switching out the Asus router for an older Buffalo I had that can do client bridge mode and all is well now. Thanks for the advice though.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I've recently bought a new house that has direct line of sight to a beach about 500m away from an elevated position. I would like to beam a wifi signal down there so I can surf while I surf :cool: - any recommendations on hardware to do that? I've been looking at the Ubiquity Pico/Nano Station APs. Is there anything else I should be considering? Should I try and find something more directional? I only need about 45° of coverage, and b/g speeds are fine.

edit: I'm also going to have to find something to extend the client's (Macbook Air and Macbook Pro) range to 500m as well.

mik fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 25, 2014

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mik posted:

I've recently bought a new house that has direct line of sight to a beach about 500m away from an elevated position. I would like to beam a wifi signal down there so I can surf while I surf :cool: - any recommendations on hardware to do that? I've been looking at the Ubiquity Pico/Nano Station APs. Is there anything else I should be considering? Should I try and find something more directional? I only need about 45° of coverage, and b/g speeds are fine.

edit: I'm also going to have to find something to extend the client's (Macbook Air and Macbook Pro) range to 500m as well.

A Nanostation/Nanostation Loco M2 would be more appropriate than the Pico as the Nanostations utilize a directional antenna. Omnidirectional antennas are just not going to cut it at this distance. On the client side, the internal wifi is definitely not going to reach that far.. Your best bet would be getting a Mac compatible USB wifi adapter that has an external antenna connector on it, and a directional antenna.

Alternatively, get a hotspot device from your favorite cellular provider. Or if you have a smartphone, have the hotspot feature on it activated.

The Hive Queen
Dec 15, 2012
I live in a fairly large condominium complex (45 floors) and I've been noticing over the last few months that the wireless in my condo is getting worse. At this point I can't even load a YouTube video without constant pausing. I've tried out a few wi-fi scanners (just the free ones) and I'm the only one on channel 8, and it's the channel with the least interference. I have a little overlap from 4-5 other people using nearby channels, and the rest are all on 1.

Obviously I intend to keep most on my internet capable electronics on wired but if there is any way I can still improve my wireless internet, I'd like to.

Would buying a 5Ghz router make much of a difference? If I have 12-15 other wireless connections floating around me is it even worth it to try?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If your clients are 5Ghz capable, and you don't have a massive area to cover, it will make a huge difference. I went 5Ghz at home and it's been fantastic. Much faster.

The Hive Queen
Dec 15, 2012

skipdogg posted:

If your clients are 5Ghz capable, and you don't have a massive area to cover, it will make a huge difference. I went 5Ghz at home and it's been fantastic. Much faster.

Yeah, the condo is only 600 sq ft and basically everything is in the living room within sight. I'm just not quite tech-savvy enough when it comes to internet connections to know if being surrounded by so many people basically means I'm screwed or if I still have a fighting chance.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Hive Queen posted:

Yeah, the condo is only 600 sq ft and basically everything is in the living room within sight. I'm just not quite tech-savvy enough when it comes to internet connections to know if being surrounded by so many people basically means I'm screwed or if I still have a fighting chance.

Moving to 5ghz will probably be worthwhile for you as long as your devices run on it as well. The issue with 2.4ghz channels is that on channel 8, surrounding channels will cause some noise:
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels (rehosted on imgur)

The Hive Queen
Dec 15, 2012
And sadly neither of the laptops can run 5Ghz. But that's fine. I could always buy adapters for them if I really need to. It's still a relief to know 5Ghz would actually help out though. Thanks guys!

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I was having some problems with things not connecting to my wifi before I left for the easter holiday. When I came back everything works perfect and it's enormosly fast. :confused: This stuff truly is magic...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wow, I just picked up a UniFi AP to replace my Meraki MR12 which I absolutely hated. Working in networking, I'm used to really fiddly Cisco gear, so the UniFi setup was really refreshing in how simple it was.

An EdgeRouter + UniFi AP is a combo I'd wholeheartedly recommend to anyone for their home network. Very impressed.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Currently using a Netgear WNDR3700 running Gargoyle firmware which I believe is some derivative of OpenWRT. I'm looking at getting a VPN connection because my ISP has really bad routing for certain sites such as Twitch.tv. Is it possible to have a VPN set up that uses it for certain websites and all other traffic to go through my regular connection?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ragingsheep posted:

Currently using a Netgear WNDR3700 running Gargoyle firmware which I believe is some derivative of OpenWRT. I'm looking at getting a VPN connection because my ISP has really bad routing for certain sites such as Twitch.tv. Is it possible to have a VPN set up that uses it for certain websites and all other traffic to go through my regular connection?

Yes, but it's potentially tricky to do this for public sites. Why do assume there are routing problems?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'll preface this post by apologising if I sound like an idiot but I'm new to all this so don't really know what I'm talking about. Just bought an asus n66u to replace our ageing netgear dg834gt, my logic being we needed to spend a good amount on an upgrade because our house is large and has thick stone walls. Despite not really knowing what I'm doing I managed to get it all connected and set up easily enough, connecting the old netgear to the new asus to use as the modem. Now I get a good wireless connection anywhere in the house on my ipad and iPhone so I'm happy enough with that side of things. However the old netgear is still transmitting its wireless signal and I can't work out how to kill that and just make it a dedicated modem. Also I just bought an airplay speaker for my bedroom, which with the old router wasn't able to get a consistent connection. With the new router it works a lot better but the connection's still not perfect and occasionally drops when I'm starting to use it for the day. I want to know how best to optimise the connection and what settings I need to tweak to get the most out of the router - should I be using 5ghz instead of 2.4, for example? We're on a large plot of land with a good distance between us and the neighbours so I don't think there's any overlap of networks. Also any other basic advice would be appreciated, like do I need to be physically pointing the aerials on the n66u at my room etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

evol262 posted:

Yes, but it's potentially tricky to do this for public sites. Why do assume there are routing problems?

Because if I try and use the site normally, I get buffering every 30s. If I use a VPN, I get perfect video on the highest setting.