Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A serial killer was killing people with a pneumatic bear jaw and after two days of internet hyperbole echo chamber people are complaining about a man building a robot bear assassin to attack the protagonist because goons.

Haha a guy just complained in the thread because he thought it was an actual robot wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Alan Smithee posted:

Okay as someone who doesn't watch you gotta explain it to me

It's actually kind of a cool looking suit/helmet thing. But it looked really goofy when you saw him wearing it. It was just bizarre even for Hannibal.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 28, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A serial killer was killing people with a pneumatic bear jaw and after two days of internet hyperbole echo chamber people are complaining about a man building a robot bear assassin to attack the protagonist because goons.

To me it's a classic example of how internet criticism focuses on "Here is a thing that happened on this show!" rather than any evaluation of the execution. Stretching credibility in and of itself is not the worst thing, it's all about pulling it off- and in this case Hannibal managed to do so.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Maxwell Lord posted:

To me it's a classic example of how internet criticism focuses on "Here is a thing that happened on this show!" rather than any evaluation of the execution. Stretching credibility in and of itself is not the worst thing, it's all about pulling it off- and in this case Hannibal managed to do so.
It's like they turned the TV off right before the last scene where it pretty much spells out the whole drat thing and decided to get angry on the Internet about the pneumatic cave bear jaw instead.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
So speaking of anime, Netflix, and relative quality of shows, are there any worthwhile anime shows on Netflix Instant? asking here because you can never trust deeply in the tank anime fans to give reliable information.
also, I stopped watching Attack on Titan about 15 episodes in, but I'm not sure why. The first six or so episodes are intensely upsetting, and I guess I was like "well, I know how this is turning out, soon enough characters that I actually care about will die in horrible random ways, probably by being eaten alive, because that's the kind of show this is". :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been watching some Korra on Amazon streaming. It's pretty good for an anime.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spatula City posted:

So speaking of anime, Netflix, and relative quality of shows, are there any worthwhile anime shows on Netflix Instant? asking here because you can never trust deeply in the tank anime fans to give reliable information.

Samurai Champloo is a stylish kind of Cowboy Bebop with swords deal.

Squid Girl is a funny light comedy.

Trigun is a western set in outer space, somewhat humorous but gets pretty serious.

Welcome to the NHK is very funny and is basically all about making fun of creepy anime fans.

Black Butler is about a kid and his demon butler in Victorian England, I haven't watched much but it reminds me of American genre shows with the quirky ensemble cast and period piece adventuring.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
my favorite hannibal promo was from season one where the girl gets ripped under her bed, and then when the episode aired it was even more ridiculous with this great supernatural vibe of a ghost story in the intro as we follow her around the house and its snowing in her dilapidated attic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLDMhbE1W6o

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat, that is one terrible voiceover.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fullmetal Alchemist (both series) is really good, though the original has some noticeable pacing issues (along with the voice acting and animation generally being lower quality) if you start with Brotherhood. And I've only seen about three episodes of Champloo but that show rules.

Mu Zeta posted:

I've been watching some Korra on Amazon streaming. It's pretty good for an anime.

I don't even care that you called Korra an anime, but it's really not very good at all.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

MrAristocrates posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist (both series) is really good, though the original has some noticeable pacing issues (along with the voice acting and animation generally being lower quality) if you start with Brotherhood. And I've only seen about three episodes of Champloo but that show rules.

I don't even care that you called Korra an anime, but it's really not very good at all.

If you're gonna call out Korra for being bad, I feel like I should also weigh in that Samurai Champloo isn't really that great either. Maybe it was just me, but I never got the appeal of Samurai Champloo except for 'it's vaguely like Cowboy Bebop'.

I mean the characters seemed really flat, and aside from the fact that it was anachronistic it really didn't stand out to me at all. I think I got up to like, episode 18 or something before I gave up on it. It had some okay fight scenes, but other than that it always struck me as a standard shounen anime. That and the over-arching plot seemed to move at a glacial pace even compared to the filler heavy nature of anime in general. Which admittedly, isn't that bad if the stand-alone episodes are strong enough but they were kind of bland and repetitive to me.

The opening is pretty badass though I have to give it that.

Though this talk about anime does make me wonder when HBO will try another serious adult animation project. Or did Spawn kill any chances of that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All anime is bad.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No, you've confused anime with your posting.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PootieTang posted:

I think I got up to like, episode 18 or something before I gave up on it.

You missed the Baseball episode. It's one of the best episodes in the series.

MrAristocrates posted:

Brotherhood is great. I wish they'd make a sequel, though.

zoux posted:

All anime is bad.

I find that short animes are usually the best. But it's lovely stuff like Bleach and Naruto that people come dressed up as. Like do these people not realize they're terrible people?

Short Animes (Not anime shorts you goddamn perverts)
- Death Note
- Samurai Champloo
- FMA
- Cowboy Bebop

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

All anime is bad.

I've said it before, but Paranoia Agent is pretty great. And it's only like 4.5 hours at most. Other than that yeah all anime TV is just terrible, how can an entire genre gently caress up pacing so badly and so consistently

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bown posted:

I've said it before, but Paranoia Agent is pretty great. And it's only like 4.5 hours at most. Other than that yeah all anime TV is just terrible, how can an entire genre gently caress up pacing so badly and so consistently
Losing Satoshi Kon at such a young age was just about the worst. That industry desperately needed him. I just hope Mamoru Hosoda was born under a luckier star.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

PittTheElder posted:

Good lord anime is so very stupid. Take a reasonably interesting premise, but then make it about teenagers fighting monsters with their courage and optimism. It's like a young teen book.
It's basically the exact opposite of that though.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's actually kind of a cool looking suit/helmet thing. But it looked really goofy when you saw him wearing it. It was just bizarre even for Hannibal.
And just like an actual bear it loses to a guy with a gun.

Spatula City posted:

also, I stopped watching Attack on Titan about 15 episodes in, but I'm not sure why. The first six or so episodes are intensely upsetting, and I guess I was like "well, I know how this is turning out, soon enough characters that I actually care about will die in horrible random ways, probably by being eaten alive, because that's the kind of show this is". :smith:
15 episodes in you probably stopped because the pacing was pretty bad at that point. It speeds up again towards the end.

Also that's not what the show is at all, once you get far enough it starts becoming more obvious which characters have plot armor, just like Battlestar Galactica.

And if you want to watch something, watch Mushishi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AapZE-LHUdI

Mu Zeta posted:

It starts off pretty well and gets worse. So just like anime.

The prequel episodes in the second season are ace though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Here are the good animes:

Akira
Warriors of the Wind
Princess Mononoke

Everything else is crap. If you think something not on my list is good, then your opinion is crap. These are objective facts.

Thank you.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Bown posted:

I don't think you understand the word 'genre'.

And I think that a lot of it comes down to the market it's catering to. Anime shows aren't being made for baka gaijins like you, they're being made for the home-grown audience of mentally damaged otaku.

Not that I don't like anime, it's just a shame that most of it is just creepy pedo bait, or giant robot show number 2005802832018081.

And then there are those endless shows that just goes on for like 5000 episodes of nothing but utter trash, like western superhero comics they're just made to milk an audience who will eat up pretty much anything you throw at them until their inevitable heart disease takes them at the ripe old age of 28.

The big problem is that 99% of Anime that western audiences watch is streamed/downloaded online for free. The only people paying money for anime anymore are either super-weirdo collectors who will spend all of their dole money on figurines of underage girls, or... Well no I guess that's about it.

Besides, selling foreign rights to stuff is always worse than what you can do domestically, so targeting the western market that wants serious drama and three-dimensional characters just isn't going to happen.

Though admittedly, much like how great shows in the west stand out in a crowd of NCIS's and reality TV, there are still good Anime being produced, there just aren't enough of them to balance out the endless tide of poo poo.

Personally, I still think that the best bet for Anime/animation becoming a respectable medium for grown-up shows is if HBO or some other high quality company takes a jab at it.

And Korra/Avatar don't count, they're kid shows. No matter how many online articles try to compare Korra to Breaking Bad.

Though Paranoia agent is great, it does go a bit overboard towards the end. Still worth it overall, as the good far outweighs the bad.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
^^^ What the poo poo is a baka gajin?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PootieTang posted:

And Korra/Avatar don't count, they're kid shows. No matter how many online articles try to compare Korra to Breaking Bad.

Cartoons for adults have been the pipe dream of every generation of nerds going back 50+ years. Its never going to happen. The best you can hope for are cartoons with cross generational appeal, like Bob's Burgers, South Park and The Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9VZZFm8ndQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MzWF8YLhY

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PootieTang posted:

I don't think you understand the word 'genre'.

I actually almost edited it but then I decided to see if some sperg was going to correct me or not. :3:

The thing is, even the 'good' animes bother me stylistically. And I know really that's just my personal taste but even the first few episodes of Death Note just suffered through the same old tropes as every other show I've seen, especially with the over-stylisation in relatively 'normal' scenes and the way it tries to be as action-y as possible at all times even during conversations. I sure hope this makes sense. Almost every one I've seen doesn't seem to leave any breathing room whatsoever. Reiterating I'm referring to TV and not anime movies where there are definitely a bunch of good ones not Grave of the Fireflies which is loving terrible, manipulative, sappy poo poo

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Ravane posted:

^^^ What the poo poo is a baka gajin?

Baka means stupid/idiot and gaijin is Japanese for outsider/foreigner.

In case you didn't know, the Japanese really don't like people who aren't Japanese. It's what happens when your country is still 99% ethnically 'pure' and nationalism is a big deal.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PootieTang posted:

The big problem is that 99% of Anime that western audiences watch is streamed/downloaded online for free.

That's a problem entirely created by the insane hostility of the Japanese companies to the western market though. Of course no one is going to buy your product when you're selling two twenty minute episodes on one blue-ray for the price of a small car or whatever.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Bown posted:

I actually almost edited it but then I decided to see if some sperg was going to correct me or not. :3:

The thing is, even the 'good' animes bother me stylistically. And I know really that's just my personal taste but even the first few episodes of Death Note just suffered through the same old tropes as every other show I've seen, especially with the over-stylisation in relatively 'normal' scenes and the way it tries to be as action-y as possible at all times even during conversations. I sure hope this makes sense. Almost every one I've seen doesn't seem to leave any breathing room whatsoever.

Maybe try Steins;Gate? Most of the conversational scenes are low key, and it's definitely more of a slow burn than most anime out there (it doesn't fully ramp up till you're halfway through).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Basically, that's it. Half the poo poo doesn't come out here and when it does it's extremely over priced. I got some Hellsing blu rays for cheap off Amazon though, so that and Trigun is all I own.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Irish Joe posted:

Cartoons for adults have been the pipe dream of every generation of nerds going back 50+ years. Its never going to happen. The best you can hope for are cartoons with cross generational appeal, like Bob's Burgers, South Park and The Simpsons.

What about Spawn? Which ran for three seasons on HBO and looked almost anime-ish. It was a cartoon at least, and very HBO with titties and gorey violence and everything. It's too bad it took such a nosedive after season one.

I mean it was way ahead of it's time, but it did happen.

Bown posted:

I actually almost edited it but then I decided to see if some sperg was going to correct me or not. :3

The thing is, even the 'good' animes bother me stylistically. And I know really that's just my personal taste but even the first few episodes of Death Note just suffered through the same old tropes as every other show I've seen, especially with the over-stylisation in relatively 'normal' scenes and the way it tries to be as action-y as possible at all times even during conversations. I sure hope this makes sense. Almost every one I've seen doesn't seem to leave any breathing room whatsoever. Reiterating I'm referring to TV and not anime movies where there are definitely a bunch of good ones not Grave of the Fireflies which is loving terrible, manipulative, sappy poo poo

I agree on grave of the fireflies. And while you're right about Death Note, I found that to be one of the positive aspects of the show. It came off to me as the comedic relief, which the show does need to balance out all the weirdo goths who think the show is 'deep' and not just a fun show. I mean how can you hate a guy getting so into writing names in a notebook that he leaps out of his seat, and darts from left to right as his pen leaves giant glowing streaks in the air. Or the immortal line "I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT TI!" delivered in the most hammy way possible?

I think another part of it is the age it's targeted at. In the west it's usually either a kiddy show, or an adult show. Death Note is one of those inbetweens, aimed at people just starting to approach adulthood. And really, I liked it a lot when I was younger. Mainly because as a kid, it's not talking down to you, though if I saw it for the first time now I'd probably be turned off by it.

That and ever since I learned that animation in Anime is done every third frame rather than every second like in the west, I can't help but notice how bad that looks. I'd never really gotten the complaint about Anime looking jerky or cheap until I heard about that, but now it's all I see.

+
Speaking of anime, anyone in this thread hasn't seen Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade you should check it out, it's a pretty great movie.

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 28, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cityinthesea posted:

Maybe try Steins;Gate? Most of the conversational scenes are low key, and it's definitely more of a slow burn than most anime out there (it doesn't fully ramp up till you're halfway through).

A good rule of thumb when recommending an anime is to GIS the title, filter the results by selecting "animated" under "type." Look at the first four results and ask yourself, "would I show these to my grandfather?" If the answer is "no," then you probably shouldn't recommend it to strangers.

PootieTang posted:

What about Spawn? Which ran for three seasons on HBO and looked almost anime-ish. It was a cartoon at least, and very HBO with titties and gorey violence and everything. It's too bad it took such a nosedive after season one.

I mean it was way ahead of it's time, but it did happen.

It does happen and I posted two examples of such in my reply. The problem is that Spawn, Aoen Flux and all the other so-called 'adult' cartoons don't actually appeal to adults. They appeal to teenagers who liked them because they were edgy (edgy was cool in the 90s).

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 28, 2014

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Irish Joe posted:

A good rule of thumb when recommending an anime is to GIS the title, filter the results by selecting "animated" under "type." Look at the first four results and ask yourself, "would I show these to my grandfather?" If the answer is "no," then you probably shouldn't recommend it to strangers.

Do you really only watch shows your grandparents would find acceptable?

Because that seems like a sad existence.

Although granted I'm pretty sure I only saw one episode of Steins;Gate, it didn't come off as especially anime-y in terms of creepy sex stuff. More just melodrama.

In fact if I'm remembering the show right, the main character is a super-eccentric mad scientist type who dances around and screams every piece of dialog, is that really 'low key'?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PootieTang posted:

In case you didn't know, the Japanese really don't like people who aren't Japanese. It's what happens when your country is still 99% ethnically 'pure' and nationalism is a big deal.

Gaijin is actually literally translated as "white devil" and also this is a p racist characterization of japan

They've had issues with xenophobia before but as of current are pretty accepting of other cultures especially American culture. Japan still has a problem with racism against black people in particular but that's more borne from ignorance than from outright dislike

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PootieTang posted:

Do you really only watch shows your grandparents would find acceptable?

No, but I use my grandparents as a barometer to judge how the average person might react to one of my weird hobbies.

BTW, Result #3

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

PootieTang posted:

I feel like this is a giant stereotype. I've been to Tokyo with my dad, and the people and the food were amazing. They're quite hospitable, so I really don't think that anyone (outside of your animes and the rednecks of Japan) actually thinks that way.

Irish Joe posted:

My grandpa has alzheimers and only watches Tom & Jerry. You sayin' Tom & Jerry is an anime?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish joe you should watch black lagoon it is a rad anime

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Moribito. One of the few good anime series. Movies is far broader, with Ghibli movies, Makoto Shinkai's stuff and of course Satoshi Kon's movies.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Every recommendation this thread makes should be pre-empted with "anime, however, is for jerks"

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 28, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Occupation posted:

Every recommendation this thread makes should be pre-emptied with "anime, however, is for jerks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwfyzG59qsc

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Occupation posted:

Gaijin is actually literally translated as "white devil" and also this is a p racist characterization of japan

They've had issues with xenophobia before but as of current are pretty accepting of other cultures especially American culture. Japan still has a problem with racism against black people in particular but that's more borne from ignorance than from outright dislike

They're not nazi germany if you think that's what I was implying, but you can't argue that it's not an aspect of the culture. It's not even a hostility thing, it's more of a superiority thing. That and when I visited Japan, people were either super-friendly or the complete opposite. It really seemed to be an all or nothing when it came to foreigners. But that's just my experience.

EDIT: In fact, did you really just point out that the word for foreigner was actually way more racist than I thought it was, then double back and say that I'm making them seem too hostile towards foreigners? I mean drat I genuinely didn't know Gaijin was that bad, I should be way more offended at a bunch of Japanese people. I mean could you imagine if instead of African American(or whatever country) you just called black people 'black demon' instead?

Ravane posted:

I feel like this is a giant stereotype. I've been to Tokyo with my dad, and the people and the food were amazing. They're quite hospitable, so I really don't think that anyone (outside of your animes and the rednecks of Japan) actually thinks that way.

Again, I wasn't trying to poo poo on the Japanese as a people or imply they're all crazy rednecks. But you're kidding yourself if you think it isn't a thing.

Naturally with globalisation going on, a lot of the younger generation are waaaay more open-minded than previous ones, but that kind of poo poo doesn't just disappear over night.

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 28, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just started watching The 100. Is the thread lovely, yea or nay?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I'm so excited about new Jem and the Holograms stuff. I don't even care that it will almost certainly be trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Occupation posted:

Actually it's literraly not. 外人 (gaijin) is made up of two kanji outside and person. an outside person a foreigner.

• Locked thread