Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

neetengie posted:

Probably take ADP to 25

This is really important. It should be in the thread title. I didn't think it mattered due to some people saying it's useless, but it's loving vital you want to rely on rolling at all. I went from getting tagged by every attack to dodging them with like a 90% success rate.

By the way, I keep hearing stuff about this thing called "voice chat". How do I use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's crazy how much the ingame AA blurs up the picture.

Get Durantes new tool at http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/

Also improves ambient light levels and some other stuff. His DOF implementation however is blur central for me, I kept that off in favor of the ingame DOF.

Edit: Better comparison pictures.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 28, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

neetengie posted:

Probably take ADP to 25, Str to 40, Dex to at least 25-30, and the rest in Vit, VIg and End.
edit: only boost dex to a point where you can wield the weapon you want since some good swords need Dex to be wielded properly.

Thanks. Thats exactly what I needed. I can usually figure out where to go and how to kill things, but the stat screen induces over-choice paralysis.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

euphronius posted:

That's the first thing I bought!

I was more interested on what stats to boost I guess.

If you're a bit sensitive on the weight side, the Large Leather Shield is almost just as good and weighs half just as much.
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Large+Leather+Shield#.U15gf_ldUxU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The absolute first thing everyone should probably do with their souls is get ADP to 10. If you want more from there you can (and probably should), but the ridiculous lag on input below that point was just making the game feel bad.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Minorkos posted:

By the way, I keep hearing stuff about this thing called "voice chat". How do I use it?
There should be options for it or something.

euphronius posted:

Thanks. Thats exactly what I needed. I can usually figure out where to go and how to kill things, but the stat screen induces over-choice paralysis.
Press the Select/Back button to see what all the stats and symbols mean in screens.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PVP help/questions, I need to gitgud: in the luna belfry, a lot of people I end up fighting have light/med armor and are power stancing something and/or using light, fast weapons (dex or 'quality' weapons). I understand that those builds are really good in pvp, because they've killed me. But are people using that gear all game, or just for pvp? Like, when that guy goes out to progress in PVE and has to worry about durability and doesn't need to worry about enemies rolling away, do they switch to heavier weapons like greatswords or large clubs?

Also, when a red spirit invades you and you kill him, how is the soul reward determined?

I've killed a couple invaders that gave me a total of ~900k souls (hackers?) and now I'm at 1.7m souls in iron keep. But the PVP in belfry and via near-constant invasions is now off the charts hard because I'm a PVE build with lightning bolts and big weapons, and I'm facing really specialized PVP builds like dex+hex. It's just hard to hit a light armor fast-rolling PVP enemy. I'm wondering if DEX weapons are any good for PVE (I keep reading their scaling is bad), because it's weird to see things like large spears and halberds scale primary DEX -- their movesets seem cool, so do their base damage and moves overcome their scaling?

edit: how could a hacker SL800 guy with several million soul memory invade my ~1m soul memory guy? Aren't invasions supposed to be matched on soul memory (within a range)?

pmchem fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 28, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
It's 4:20 am and I can't stop sunbroing bone chariot, send help.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

StashAugustine posted:

My only issue with th MKB controls once you fix the mouse-click problem is the inability to swap lock-on targets. I don't have thumb buttons so I use shift/ctrl for shields.

Few pages back but I've been using 1 and 3 to switch targets and it's been working fairly well

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Minorkos posted:

There's an option for it in the game menu. Same page that lets you change the jump button back to B.

On the topic of ADP: The way I hear it, Agility is the stat that influences your i-frames and other assorted animations and the benefits drop off rapidly after 98 Agi. So that's the stat you have to look out for, not ADP itself. Attunement also raises Agility.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

There's an option for it in the game menu. Same page that lets you change the jump button back to B.

On the topic of ADP: The way I hear it, Agility is the stat that influences your i-frames and other assorted animations and the benefits drop off rapidly after 98 Agi. So that's the stat you have to look out for, not ADP itself. Attunement also raises Agility.

Yes, but if someone has no interest in magic in any way it's better for them to just stick to ADP.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

neetengie posted:

Yes, but if someone has no interest in magic in any way it's better for them to just stick to ADP.

Not really, its better for them to realize you're purposefully handicapping yourself by doing that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GhostDog posted:

It's crazy how much the ingame AA blurs up the picture.

That's because its FXAA :colbert: The same is true of Skyrim or Farcry or... everything. Not crazy whatsoever.

FXAA is a cheap post-process smudge. Its nice because it barely uses any processing power and it works with certain deferred lighting engines that don't play nice with normal AA passes. MSAA (the AA you're probably expecting) works by rendering the whole page at a higher resolution and then downsampling. As you can imagine, that's massively expensive, so MSAA really increases the performance demand.

You can force other kinds of AA using your graphics card drivers control panel.

Welcome to PC gaming :downs:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 28, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I love how prevalent cheaters are, yet people with VAC bans from 10 years ago aren't allowed play. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

satanic splash-back posted:

Not really, its better for them to realize you're purposefully handicapping yourself by doing that.

Dark Souls is all about handicapping yourself for the purpose of fun.

EDIT: Apparently you can still be invaded in areas where you've beaten the boss. Weird.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 28, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

Dark Souls is all about handicapping yourself for the purpose of fun.

This is actually the truth.

My dual-shield aggression ring co-op character run is going really well!

nftyw posted:

It's 4:20 am and I can't stop sunbroing bone chariot, send help.

I find that one frustrating to sunbro. I mean its a pretty easy fight, but its so easy for the host to kill himself during the fight and there's nothing you can do about it.

Also if the host summons 2 phantoms and all 3 of you try to hide in the same alcove, it usually doesn't end well... :ohdear:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I just noticed the thread title of the other thread. Look I'm slow, ok?

still have no idea what the hell gavlan is on about. Does he even know himself?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mindblast posted:

I just noticed the thread title of the other thread. Look I'm slow, ok?

still have no idea what the hell gavlan is on about. Does he even know himself?

He's too drunk to care! :v:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
What's with the level distribution shown on Far Fire? There are way too many people at SL 210+

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

neetengie posted:

He's too drunk to care! :v:

Gavlan is feeling content lately. He made a good wheel recently. He made a good deal recently. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

VVV It wasn't really, given it scaled purely off souls and thus low level characters could abuse high end pyromancy. However, the soul memory system would keep that from being a problem so they didn't really need to change it anyways.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 28, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

gently caress pyromancy. To upgrade it you've got to pay 8000 souls for a consumable OR waltz around to get the right loot. THEN pay additional souls to get the actual reinforcement. And the consumable isn't farmable.

It worked perfectly in the last game, why did they gently caress it up like this? :psyduck:

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Found my new favorite thing to do. Sun-broing in the luna bell tower. gently caress all you dirty pvpers, gotta kill me some bosses. Its great too since I'm running a miracle build with a bunch of buffs, when I see an enemy invade I trap the host on the stairs or in a corner so they don't run off and then I just throw down a bunch of buffs and we mop the floor with the spirits :smugdog:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I accidentally went to belfry sol, and immediately got invaded by a bellcop. What he wasn't planning for was a hex shotgun to the face :black101:

I left though because I wanted to finish the keep :toot:

E: same thing happened with the rat idiot that invaded me :getin:

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 28, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Apparently you can still be invaded in areas where you've beaten the boss. Weird.

If that's true in some ways it'll be a good thing. No more "I'll skip Taurus Demon so I can do pvp in this zone"

AtillatheBum posted:

Found my new favorite thing to do. Sun-broing in the luna bell tower. gently caress all you dirty pvpers, gotta kill me some bosses. Its great too since I'm running a miracle build with a bunch of buffs, when I see an enemy invade I trap the host on the stairs or in a corner so they don't run off and then I just throw down a bunch of buffs and we mop the floor with the spirits :smugdog:

The Bell Keepers are the real Brotherhood of Blood :black101: Non-stop ultraviolence.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cardboard Box posted:

It takes a lot of time to make someone who looks human, but at least it's possible to make nice-looking characters, which is more than I can say for Demon's or the first Dark Souls. I'm pretty happy with how my character came out, even if she was over an hour of work

Couple pages back, but my charactrer looks a lot like this and I do love the whole "I'm tired of this poo poo" look they have.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV It wasn't really, given it scaled purely off souls and thus low level characters could abuse high end pyromancy. However, the soul memory system would keep that from being a problem so they didn't really need to change it anyways.
If they wanted to go for a limited upgrade for it, couldn't they just put a simple cap on it and call it a day? Limiting it by bullshit expensive + rare consumables is a weird way to deal with something that was a non-issue with the new system.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Congratulations! Blue Man Group evolved into MURDER FLY!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fucks sake trying to catch geckos without a long range weapon sucks. I've spent 30 minutes trying to kill the Gecko in the valley of Huntsman's Copse, but it keeps running off the edge before I can reach it and all my pyromancies miss.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

What's with the level distribution shown on Far Fire? There are way too many people at SL 210+

Because matchmaking has nothing to do with SL a lot of people don't stop leveling and just keep going up and up.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Gyrm Great Hammer +5 Lightning is the best thing ever for my Fai/Str character and it looks badass to boot. Why yes, I would like to oneshot all of the annoying knights and armored turtles in the iron keep & drangleic castle with a massive anvil on a stick.

To those who have gone into NG+, should I go ahead and murder all the NPCs before I beat the final boss and head into NG+? I assume they'll have useful drops and their deaths won't carry over just like Dark Souls 1.

I really wish there was a place like Belfry Sol but for large shards instead of chunks. Chunks are nice, but when all but a couple of my primary weapons are only +4, chunks don't really help. That said, steamrolling my way through nearly 50 invasions in an hour just sitting at the upper/hidden bonfire in the Iron Keep is a fantastic way to quickly farm souls in addition to the titanite. Nobody expects the anvil of justice.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I just wish they'd change NG+ matchmaking to soul level only since at that point your build means more most of the time than what equipment you have. By virtue of the fact that there's no way to stop yourself from getting souls, you're never going to be able to stay in a single Matchmaking bracket.

Or, you know, make soul memory count souls spent instead of souls earned. That could work too if they were dead set on keeping soul memory as the defining matchmaking thing.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

sushibandit posted:

Gyrm Great Hammer +5 Lightning is the best thing ever for my Fai/Str character and it looks badass to boot. Why yes, I would like to oneshot all of the annoying knights and armored turtles in the iron keep & drangleic castle with a massive anvil on a stick.

To those who have gone into NG+, should I go ahead and murder all the NPCs before I beat the final boss and head into NG+? I assume they'll have useful drops and their deaths won't carry over just like Dark Souls 1.

I really wish there was a place like Belfry Sol but for large shards instead of chunks. Chunks are nice, but when all but a couple of my primary weapons are only +4, chunks don't really help. That said, steamrolling my way through nearly 50 invasions in an hour just sitting at the upper/hidden bonfire in the Iron Keep is a fantastic way to quickly farm souls in addition to the titanite. Nobody expects the anvil of justice.

You can buy unlimited large shards from McDuff though, although it is a bit long to unlock him, but it's fine. Go ahead and slaughter all the NPCs if you want.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
So I just got through Sinner's rest and un-petrified Straid. I'm a little underwhelmed by his selection of boss soul weapons, though.

The Pursuer's Greatshield looks pretty good, but it requires 38 str and I have 30. By the time I have another 8 levels I might be close to Havel's Greatshield (I googled for best shield) anyway...? The Dragonrider Bow looks pretty good. Is that the best bow I can get for the relatively low dex requirement of 18?

Straid doesn't seem to offer anything for the Old Dragonslayer's soul, nor for the Ruin Sentinel's soul. What do I do with those? Just "eat" them?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 28, 2014

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

PirateBob posted:

So I just got through Sinner's rest and un-petrified Straid. I'm a little underwhelmed by his selection of boss soul weapons, though.

The Pursuer's Greatshield looks pretty good, but it requires 38 str and I have 30. By the time I have another 8 levels I might be close to Havel's Greatshield (I googled for best shield) anyway...? The Dragonrider Bow looks pretty good. Is that the best bow I can get for the relatively low dex requirement of 18?

For what it's worth, boss soul weapons have always been Mostly Gimmick Weapons. but yeah, the DR Bow is pretty legitimately good, and afaik the Pursuer's GreatSWORD is actually suppose to be a pretty solid ultra-gs? Haven't heard poo poo about the shield, sadly, but that's because shields are for HELLA NERDS.

edit for your edited question: Hold onto those.

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 28, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I see what people mean when they say Rat Authority is a :effort: boss.

The only really frightening thing are the small rats, the guy itself is a chump.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Because matchmaking has nothing to do with SL a lot of people don't stop leveling and just keep going up and up.

But getting that high must cost A LOT of souls and the game has been out for 3 days :psyduck:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I see what people mean when they say Rat Authority is an :effort: boss.

The only really frightening thing are the small rats, the guy itself is a chump.

I may have a skewed perspective because I always play a caster in these games which makes it feel like I'm cheating sometimes, but the Flexile sentry was a complete joke of a fight.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Varinn posted:

edit for your edited question: Hold onto those.

Why? :confused:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have any suggestions for a DEX build? Is it even worth going DEX? I've been using the rapier for about 6 hours now and it's working ok I guess, but I can barely take any hits and I'm hitting a wall at the Huntsman's Copse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

GhostDog posted:

Get Durantes new tool at http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/

Also improves ambient light levels and some other stuff. His DOF implementation however is blur central for me, I kept that off in favor of the ingame DOF.

Edit: Better comparison pictures.

You can change the blur type in the ini file. Bokeh looks a lot better and on a quick try, I didn't notice any notable dips in framerate. It helps to change the radius too, I set it to 0.6.