Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is pretty much what I was expecting, now here's hoping they do take the good bits from the EU. I really don't care if they overwrite canon as long as the new stuff is good. Although given what I've seen of Rebels I;m not hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Other titles announced:

http://starwars.com/news/disney-publishing-worldwide-and-random-house-announce-relaunch-of-star-wars-adult-fiction-line.html

STAR WARS: TARKIN
James Luceno
11/4/14

STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDI
Kevin Hearne
January 2015

STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH
Paul Kemp
March 2015

Not sure what time frames they'll take place in. Tarkin would surely be a Rebels tie-in. The others might be too. "Heir to the Jedi" is amusing though, since it echoes Heir to the Empire.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 25, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Are any of those people any good?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Are any of those people any good?
Luceno is good, John Jackson Miller who is writing the Rebels tie-in book is good.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I think it's a good step so they can finally get the EU stuff to stay consistent and hopefully coherent instead of just depending on the whims of one man to keep the EU in check.

Granted this means most of my favorite EU stuff is no longer canon, but the whole "Legends" branding of it is nice in that they aren't pretending this stuff never existed and still allow people to buy it or acknowledge it's existence.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Here are the new ones:

In our second upcoming novel created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, bestselling Star Wars veteran James Luceno gives Tarkin the Darth Plagueis treatment, bringing a legendary character from A New Hope to full, fascinating life. Coming November 4, 2014. Jacket art by David Smit.

When the Emperor and his notorious apprentice, Darth Vader, find themselves stranded in the middle of insurgent action on an inhospitable planet, they must rely solely on each other, the Force, and their awesome martial skills to prevail. Created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group. Coming March 2015. Jacket art by Aaron McBride.

A thrilling new adventure set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and—for the first time ever—written entirely from Luke Skywalker's first-person point of view. Created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group. Coming January 2015. Jacket art by Larry Rostant.

Nothing post-RotJ yet it seems.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That sounds pretty interesting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Luke Skywalker book was actually announced a long time ago (I think even before the new trilogy was announced), and the manuscript turned in a while back, so it will almost certainly not have any real connection with the new movies.

Luceno is always good in my book, but he's best known for weaving in a ton of stuff from pre-existing canon into his works. Having him basically set the stage for the new EU, when ostensibly everything prior is off-limits, is a bit of an odd choice. I think he'll be a good indicator of just how many aspects of the old EU will be reused.

The Sith book sounds a bit dull. Off the top of my head that exact same scenario was used in both a recent Dark Horse miniseries and an Empire at War mission.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
Seconded re: the Sith book. I'm reading Kemp's Crosscurrent right now, and I really wouldn't trust him to pull off anything better than mediocre. That premise is pretty sketchy to begin with and I can't see him making anything worthwhile from it.

I'm glad to see Miller is involved in the new generation or whatever; Rebels looks quite dumb, unfortunately, but I trust him to put some life into those characters in his prequel.

Chairman Capone posted:

ostensibly everything prior is off-limits, is a bit of an odd choice. I think he'll be a good indicator of just how many aspects of the old EU will be reused.

The article says the opposite:

starwars.com posted:

Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe.

But you're right, it will give us a sense of how they're going to handle the transition. I like that they're raising the bar for continuity coherence and tend to trust the Story Group a bit more than Lucas, but I still get the impression they're just going to improvise the new canon, deciding what they will and won't keep based on what new authors decide they want to contradict. That's fine with me, but it seems a bit messy compared to their stated goals.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's "full access" in that they can pick and choose stuff to use, as happened in the Clone Wars cartoon. But they've also said that the EU storylines aren't going to be canonical. So I feel like the stuff that can be used is more like planet and species names, and "worldbuilding" stuff like that. I don't really see how it can go any further than that if the new books are supposed to be fully in-line with the movies.

I mean, if this were the old EU, I would fully expect Luceno to draw in stuff on Tarkin from the Empire: Betrayal comic, Rogue Planet/Cloak of Deception/Dark Lord, the Adventure Game story where Ackbar was his slave, the backstory with Daala and the Maw Installation from Jedi Academy Trilogy...but that would be effectively drawing all those storylines, or at least their basic outlines, into the new canon, which doesn't seem to be their intent at all.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah, that's unclear, it'll be interesting to see. I read that more like the way they treated the old Marvel comics, where if a modern author decided to reference them they entered modern canon. I don't know if we'll ever find out the details of this, but I am curious how much those decisions will lie with the Story Group and how much say authors will get. Does Luceno get this opportunity to grandfather in his favorite old stories? Or will they take a harder line, as you suggest? We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I don't know if it would really work to grandfather in anything unless it's pre-RotJ. Everything post-RotJ EU depends too much on newly created material. So while someone could feasibly allude to the "Thrawn affair", it'd have to just be "There was a guy named Thrawn who did some poo poo." That would in no way bring in the original Zahn trilogy, it would just mean that some form of Thrawn did some form of thing. So if they wanted to address it, they would have to be super detailed in a backstory, or they'd have to completely re-write it in a brand new Thrawn attacks story.

I'm really curious if they're going to do much 6-7 timeframe stories until after the screen play for 8 or even 9 is developed, because I think it's going to be a really shaky storyground otherwise. Meaning, anything new they come up with in 8, would surely need to have some basis in the new post-6 continuity. So say they plan on episode 8 being built around some plot point, but you can't really do books leading up to it because that hook would need to have been something which affected any stories set in that time period. I think that only really becomes a problem with characters though (i.e. Lando had a daughter who was apparently around the whole time but only appeared for the first time in episode 8, why was this new post-RotJ novel written like he never had a kid?). The EU already found ways around that before, but it'll be interesting to see how the story group tackles it.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 25, 2014

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
No surprise that they discarded the classic EU timeline, it's really the only thing they could do. Still, unless Stover, Allston or Zahn write books in this new EU, I can't imagine I'll end up reading any of them. My head's already crammed full of Star Wars history and characters and trivia. Reading books set in an "almost-but-not-quite" universe sounds more exhausting than fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

surf rock posted:

No surprise that they discarded the classic EU timeline, it's really the only thing they could do. Still, unless Stover, Allston or Zahn write books in this new EU, I can't imagine I'll end up reading any of them. My head's already crammed full of Star Wars history and characters and trivia. Reading books set in an "almost-but-not-quite" universe sounds more exhausting than fun.

This one will be kinda hard...Aaron Allston passed away a few weeks ago :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

They had a quick clip of him signing a book in the video.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

api call girl posted:

e: so much angst from wookieepedia, ahahahahah

We'll have something to entertain us if the new movies aren't any good, then.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

We'll have something to entertain us if the new movies aren't any good, then.

Let's face it so long as Lucas isn't helming them there's no way in loving hell they won't be 100x better than the dreck these guys are crying over.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Really if they wanted to make me happy they'd also flush everything pre-ANH down the shitter except maybe Shatterpoint and remake episodes 2 and 3.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
My biggest hope is that we can get Ben-Hur meets The Fast and the Furious with rocket chariots.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

E; Wrong thread.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

jivjov posted:

Ahhhh, gently caress.

With a single, fluid move, Janson sat upright, spun ninety degrees to his right, and set his heels on the floor. "Sure," he said. "It's simple. You're dead, I'm not. Let me demonstrate." He stood up on his bed, then began bouncing up and down. "Did you ever do this when you were a kid?"

"Of course."

"Did you ever do it as a grown-up?"

"Of course not."

"You say 'of course' a lot and it's always wrong. Tell me, Myn. How do I look?"

"Well, stupid."

"Exactly!" With an exuberant bound, Janson leaped off his cot, smacked his head on the ceiling, and swore as he landed on the floor again. He rubbed his head and glared at the treacherous ceiling. "When was the last time you looked stupid?"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

My biggest hope is that we can get Ben-Hur meets The Fast and the Furious with rocket chariots.

So the Pod Race from Episode 1 but now the main plot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ha, look at this.

Somebody decided they needed this big retcon to explain an inconsistency from an ultra-obscure newspaper strip from 1979.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://digital.darkhorse.com/browse/brand/1/

Giant 50% off sale over at Dark Horse, including bundled stuff.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

alg posted:

https://digital.darkhorse.com/browse/brand/1/

Giant 50% off sale over at Dark Horse, including bundled stuff.

What on that list is actually worth putting out money for?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On that list, Agent of the Empire, Clone Wars, Star Wars: Jedi, Purge and Quinlan Vos.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

SirPhoebos posted:

So the Pod Race from Episode 1 but now the main plot.
And without children.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

What on that list is actually worth putting out money for?

The first Mara Jade comic was good. Decent art and plot. The Knights of the Old Republic were entertaining and at least have the novelty of featuring an incompetent Jedi. The X-wing comics vary greatly in quality, but tend to be entertaining overall. I say this with the caveat that I really dislike how the omnibus editions shrink the art and the ink colors compared to the TPBs. I've heard good things about the Legacy series and Infinities, but never read any myself.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Those discounts are crazy. I've got the following picked out:

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi #1 - 5 Bundle - $5.00
Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi—Force War #1-5 Bundle - $4.00
Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi—The Prisoner of Bogan #1-#5 Bundle - $4.50
Star Wars: Infinities Bundle - $8.00
Star Wars: Invasion Bundle - $10.00
Star Wars: Invasion - Rescues Bundle - $5.00
Star Wars: Invasion—Revelations #1 - #5 - $4.00
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith—Spiral #1-#5 Bundle - $4.50
Star Wars Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi Volume 2 - $7.50
Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron Volume 3 - $7.50
Star Wars: Purge Bundle - $4.50

I've already got the Mara Jade comics, Legacy, Knights of the Old Republic, Tales 1 and Rogue Squadron 1-2. Are Dawn of the Jedi, Invasion, Lost Tribe of the Sith or Purge any good? Any of them notably bad? Guess I'm most interested in knowing that for Dawn and Invasion, since there are a lot of those.

Also, anyone know if these are collected into TPBs, or would I be getting a flood of individual comics beyond the two marked as omnibuses?

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
The X-wing comics definitely came out as TPBs. The first few comics weren't included, but they were awful anyway. TPBs start from The Phantom Affair, which was awesome.

Don't have a comment on the rest of the stuff you picked aside the Lost Tribe of the Sith. John Jackson Miller does good work. EDIT: I haven't actually read this series. I have enjoyed JJ Miller's work in general.

buffybot fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 27, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Star Wars Tales was basically them going to different comic creators and getting stories. Dozens of different styles involved and varying different qualities. $35 for all 24 issues is not a bad price in my opinion, since it's a little under $1.50 an issue.

Tales of the Jedi is a classic, Rogue Squadron and Knights of the Old Republic are also good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dawn of the Jedi is by Ostrander and Duursema, and I'm personally not a big fan. I tried the first couple of issues and it felt like it was going to trace Legacy's and Quinlan Vos's footsteps. Try the first bundle before investing further.

Edit: Oh, and the later half of Tales of the Jedi is Kevin J. Anderson's penmanship. Approach with caution.

Edit the second: This is kinda funky. I've got the Dark Horse comic app on my iPad, and it doesn't recognize the discounts at all. Apparently I could get these cheaper if I bought them through the website and paid for them in this funny dollar money instead of Euros.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 27, 2014

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Tales of the Jedi is pretty enjoyable all the way through, despite KJA. It's definitely worth picking up the whole saga. Stay away from Redemption, though.

EDIT: Oh, I guess you can't. Just stop reading at The Sith War, then.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 27, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a sense of loss here. There is some horrendous poo poo in the EU but it was a major part of my childhood and I'm pretty attached to the good parts.

I wish they'd answered a couple of questions so take some of the suspense out of this. What's now considered the Legends imprint isn't going out of print, does that mean it will still be contributed to once in a while, and will old EU authors be working on new continuity material?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish they'd answered a couple of questions so take some of the suspense out of this. What's now considered the Legends imprint isn't going out of print, does that mean it will still be contributed to once in a while, and will old EU authors be working on new continuity material?

Well, three of the four authors of the new books they mentioned (Luceno, Miller, Kemp) are from the old EU, and the fourth one was hired when his book (the Luke one) was still going to come out under the old EU. But even so, I have the feeling that all of these books were already well underway long before the new canon guidelines were anywhere near to being finalized, so I don't know how representative they'll end up being.

As for new Legends stuff, it seems like from what they've said that everything going forward now will be in the new EU guidelines/continuity, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years we get some special event old EU stuff.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

As for new Legends stuff, it seems like from what they've said that everything going forward now will be in the new EU guidelines/continuity, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years we get some special event old EU stuff.
It would be nice if Zahn got to write the Luke, Mara, and Ben books he wanted to before LOTF came along and hosed that up.

Got to wonder what Troy Denning thought was going to happen. While Crucible was the most competent thing he's written, he completely failed to wrap anything up. Seems like he thought he'd just write some more books.

I'm hoping for some sort of meltdown from Karen Traviss. It's unlikely because she's already completely disavowed anything Star Wars, but it would be funny if it happened.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the last thing I saw from Traviss about Star Wars was her complaining a few years ago about Lucasfilm screwing her over because she was a woman and how she's glad she can now write "real" science fiction (like, you know...Halo and Gears of War tie-in books). As for Crucible I think Denning stated that he originally thought it was just going to be a stand-alone lead-in to the next big series and only into the drafting process did the buyout happen and he was then asked to make it into a "wrapup" for the main characters (which he still seemed to fail at).

Anyway I was just reading through the Twitter of the head of Lucasbooks and there was some interesting stuff on the new continuity policies.

Everything from the The Clone Wars cartoon is fully part of the new canon

The upcoming Darth Maul comic from Dark Horse is part of the new canon, since it's based on Clone Wars scripts

There are no plans for new "Legends" stuff at the moment, but "maybe some day" (though that seemed like it could have been an evasion) and that "Legends" characters might still be used in the new EU

She outright has no idea how the new continuity guidelines apply to video games

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Don't really get how you can get mad over the books not being canon, if you like them can't you still enjoy them?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Personperson14 posted:

Don't really get how you can get mad over the books not being canon, if you like them can't you still enjoy them?

Nerds are terribly anal self hating creatures, some of which never sadly will think for themselves. For example, most dumb KJA stuff in my head has been self censored Stalin style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nerds are terribly anal self hating creatures, some of which never sadly will think for themselves. For example, most dumb KJA stuff in my head has been self censored Stalin style.

As if KJA was even the worst offender, especially recently.