Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Hezzy posted:

Unless you're in my force that has a 100% no pursuit policy in place!

We have a few rules in place. We aren't allowed to use carriers as the lead pursuit vehicle etc but in London the chases frequently lead to a non-fatal RTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

We have a few rules in place. We aren't allowed to use carriers as the lead pursuit vehicle etc but in London the chases frequently lead to a non-fatal RTC.

What's a carrier? Like a paddy wagon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_van

Answered my own question. :smug:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Mad Dragon posted:

paddy wagon?

Check your fuckin privilege

Mods ban this sick filth

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

Check your fuckin privilege

Mods ban this mick filth
:eyepop:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

:psyduck:

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

What's a carrier? Like a paddy wagon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_van

Answered my own question. :smug:

Meat wagon, Party Bus, Porking Van, Battle Taxi, Gestapo bus, poo poo shuttle.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
gently caress yes I'm now calling ours the battle taxi.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Tentacle Party posted:

gently caress yes I'm now calling ours the battle taxi.

I call ours the battle wagon but I will also be switching to battle taxi.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
My department doesn't even have once :(

Whenever we really need one we just borrow a city bus

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

We don't have a battle taxi either but I might just start calling my patrol car the battle taxi.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Whale Cancer posted:

We don't have a battle taxi either but I might just start calling my patrol car the battle taxi.

More like the fatty taxi.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

an overdue owl posted:

I think I know what you're trying to say here, but I find this pretty disturbing. Even the most well trained officer should still have some worries about this. Thinking that a mistake or an accident or any number of factors that could crop up in the heat of the moment could definitely never happen to you is probably what every cop thinks before it actually does. It's a serious enough thing that I'd like to think you'd worried about it once or twice at least!

I don't think I got it across correctly. It isn't that I think it'll never happen. I was trying to convey that it just isn't something I find stressful. I'm so comfortable with my skills and judgement that I don't stress about it. I stress way more about killing someone while I'm driving. Which is also much more likely. But I'm also not a very stressed out person, particularly at work.

Edit: I'd also like to add that if you're stressed about shooting someone during a lethal force incident, you're more of a danger to yourself and others. Practically, it's safer for me to be as detached and rational as possible, while acknowledging that lethal force events are extremely stressful on their own, without adding uncertainty over my ability to use lethal force.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 28, 2014

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pretty much. Police shootings happen so rarely here that it's just not worth wringing your hands about it. You trust that the people who trained you put enough good habits in your head to lead you to do the right thing, and that the state will do everything in its power to insulate you from liability where your use of force was justified, and then you turn your full attention back to what you're supposed to be doing.

Lethal Drizzle
Feb 24, 2011
I've got a question for any British police in this thread, how do you feel about the Dangerous Dogs Act? Mainly talking about Section 1, the part that bans specific breeds.

Ever had to seize a dog under Section 1? I can't imagine it feels too great if it's a much loved family pet, obviously different if it's a "status dog" owned by your typical thug/drug dealer.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Grem posted:

There was a chase not too long ago in surrounding cities where a dude stole a car that had a kid in it. Kid was okay and the guy stole a different car after almost an hour of driving.

Real life "Adventures in Babysitting."

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Lethal Drizzle posted:

I've got a question for any British police in this thread, how do you feel about the Dangerous Dogs Act? Mainly talking about Section 1, the part that bans specific breeds.

Ever had to seize a dog under Section 1? I can't imagine it feels too great if it's a much loved family pet, obviously different if it's a "status dog" owned by your typical thug/drug dealer.

I don't really have much experience with this but from what I know, the dogs usually come to the attention of the police because they've bitten or mauled someone. I haven't heard of any instances where the police have deliberately gone out looking for dangerous dogs.

Lethal Drizzle
Feb 24, 2011

Hezzy posted:

I don't really have much experience with this but from what I know, the dogs usually come to the attention of the police because they've bitten or mauled someone. I haven't heard of any instances where the police have deliberately gone out looking for dangerous dogs.

It must be different in all forces, I know in Liverpool, Birmingham and certain boroughs of London they really crack down hard, stopping people in the street and running campaigns asking the public to report Pit Bull type dogs. There was even a recent case in Liverpool where they executed "dawn raids" across the city seizing Pit Bull type dogs http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/471442/Outrage-as-police-executioners-seize-and-kill-22-pet-dogs

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Lethal Drizzle posted:

It must be different in all forces

this isn't a jab at you or anything but this line of thought could probably summarize most questions that ever come up in here

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

krispykremessuck posted:

this isn't a jab at you or anything but this line of thought could probably summarize most questions that ever come up in here

But until we ask them and find this out, it's safe to assume the worst case scenario with cops.

Why are city speeding tickets more expensive than county speeding tickets? I've gotten two speeding tickets in my life; literally on the same road at different times. One was from city police for $250 for going 5 miles over the speed limit (:wtf:) and the other was from a sheriff for $110 for going twenty miles over (one of those "speed reduces from 45 to 25 during school hours" traps). The second one was doubled for being in a school zone too, so it would've been only $55 normally.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Because every jurisdiction can charge whatever amount they want to for a traffic infraction.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

But until we ask them and find this out, it's safe to assume the worst case scenario with cops.

:allears: that's a great attitude.

Why are city speeding tickets more expensive than county speeding tickets? I've gotten two speeding tickets in my life; literally on the same road at different times. One was from city police for $250 for going 5 miles over the speed limit (:wtf:) and the other was from a sheriff for $110 for going twenty miles over (one of those "speed reduces from 45 to 25 during school hours" traps). The second one was doubled for being in a school zone too, so it would've been only $55 normally.

To answer your question,

Lethal Drizzle posted:

It must be different in all forces

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

If you can't answer think about it and answer this question yourself I seriously doubt your ability to critically think.

Different places have different laws.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Lethal Drizzle posted:

It must be different in all forces, I know in Liverpool, Birmingham and certain boroughs of London they really crack down hard, stopping people in the street and running campaigns asking the public to report Pit Bull type dogs. There was even a recent case in Liverpool where they executed "dawn raids" across the city seizing Pit Bull type dogs http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/471442/Outrage-as-police-executioners-seize-and-kill-22-pet-dogs

I've never seen a dangerous dogs operation. Also I can't be arsed to check right now but I seem to remember only 4 breeds being named in S.1 and a couple were super rare like dogos argentinos. The most ridiculous thing is that if a dog kills someone on private property then no offense (usually) has been committed.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

man I don't like cops, but I'm not the ftp type and I also recognize the one bad interaction I've ever had w/ a cop is because I called him a human being so. grow up

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
http://imgur.com/gallery/TZEZO

I've seen this image several times today. My question for the cop goons: if you were one of the two "non-choking" cops in this picture what would you do? Do you arrest the armed assailant? Do you stand there as a witness and do nothing like the two pictured? Other?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

krispykremessuck posted:

man I don't like cops, but I'm not the ftp type and I also recognize the one bad interaction I've ever had w/ a cop is because I called him a human being so. grow up

:lol:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

beanieson posted:

:allears: that's a great attitude.

The day poo poo like this:

Stops happening maybe my stance on cops will change.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you can't answer think about it and answer this question yourself I seriously doubt your ability to critically think.

Different places have different laws.

:fuckoff:

krispykremessuck posted:

:bravo:

EDIT:

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Because every jurisdiction can charge whatever amount they want to for a traffic infraction.

Thanks for the answer without being a shitheel about it.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 28, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

i'm being a shitheel about it because it's not hard to figure out, in most cases, why things are different from force to force

edit: also because im a white noise poster allegedly

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

You're entitled to your opinion, but saying "it's safe to assume the worst" seems a bit much. I've been filmed performing my duties at least once or twice a week over the course of 8 years. I'm sure most of us have. You probably won't find those videos on youtube and you definitely won't find them making headlines because I don't treat people like they're animals. The scrutiny put on us by the public is understandable & welcome by those of us who are doing things correctly because it leads to guys like that getting fired.

Is it also safe to assume that all female high school teachers are loving their students? There have been numerous arrests and allegations of misconduct but do you feel the need to ask them individually to find out?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

mds2 posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/TZEZO

I've seen this image several times today. My question for the cop goons: if you were one of the two "non-choking" cops in this picture what would you do? Do you arrest the armed assailant? Do you stand there as a witness and do nothing like the two pictured? Other?

At the time? You say "Okay, he's good, I've got him" and then you step between Officer Chokey and your subject to stop the former from doing something everyone will regret and the latter from getting hurt (and going free for whatever it is you're arresting him for).

Later on you mention it matter-of-factly in the report ("while other members used a series of resistance reduction techniques, including a one-armed throat grab, to assure compliance"), document the poo poo out of it in your second notebook, and tell the guy who lost control that he should warn the shift supervisor so the poor bastard has an answer ready for the Lt tomorrow. Bosses are much happier hearing about things like that from their subordinates than they are from their superiors.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Police don't answer questions, they just make excuses.

AH HA HA! The loving Brit cops are talking about how they hate handguns and the American cops are freaking the gently caress out in the Ask Pigs thread.

I hope a student kills you in a shooting because you can't carry a gun on campus.

Has Grem and the rest of those pigs killed themselves yet? I don't see them posting anymore.

Grem, please take out your service pistol, place it in you mouth and pull the trigger. Thanks.

Oink oink oink, woof woof woof, what's the difference?

GiP is there so we know who's retarded.

Why bother replying to this GBS poo poo poster?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

*sprays pepper spray everywhere*

Everyone can stop with the meta posting now, thanks.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

:fuckoff:

:bravo:

EDIT:

Some solid emoticon only replies, you're really BYOBin' now, son

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

flakeloaf posted:

At the time? You say "Okay, he's good, I've got him" and then you step between Officer Chokey and your subject to stop the former from doing something everyone will regret and the latter from getting hurt (and going free for whatever it is you're arresting him for).

Later on you mention it matter-of-factly in the report ("while other members used a series of resistance reduction techniques, including a one-armed throat grab, to assure compliance"), document the poo poo out of it in your second notebook, and tell the guy who lost control that he should warn the shift supervisor so the poor bastard has an answer ready for the Lt tomorrow. Bosses are much happier hearing about things like that from their subordinates than they are from their superiors.

Do you think there should be criminal charges against the choker? Assuming you don't step in between the assailant and the victim in time to stop the choking. Would you yourself file them/arrest the assailant?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Why bother replying to this GBS poo poo poster?

Oh snap son, you found me out. I post like a shithead on GBS. Congratu-loving-lations. Has nothing to do with the posting atmosphere, or the fact that the thread is dedicated to showing how hosed up the police force is.

I try to be civil in this thread, but you you guys reply with poo poo like "human being" and calling me stupid for asking a question of course I'm going to run to the ACAB hugbox, much like you guys run to your hugbox.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

I try to be civil in this thread, but you you guys reply with poo poo like "human being" and calling me stupid for asking a question of course I'm going to run to the ACAB hugbox, much like you guys run to your hugbox.

You can't even begin to compare this thread and the GBS one...

I don't think Nostalgia4Infinity is a cop, so none of us called you stupid or a human being.

Whip answered it, but to build on your question, some jurisdictions have the option of citing under state law or local code and each will have different fines/fee structure.

Would you be willing to respond to this?

beanieson posted:

You're entitled to your opinion, but saying "it's safe to assume the worst" seems a bit much. I've been filmed performing my duties at least once or twice a week over the course of 8 years. I'm sure most of us have. You probably won't find those videos on youtube and you definitely won't find them making headlines because I don't treat people like they're animals. The scrutiny put on us by the public is understandable & welcome by those of us who are doing things correctly because it leads to guys like that getting fired.

Is it also safe to assume that all female high school teachers are loving their students? There have been numerous arrests and allegations of misconduct but do you feel the need to ask them individually to find out?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Where is that "people being scared to get caught and arrested with weed makin me lol" thread again... must have missed it. Probably got some funny posts about baby neckbeards haha right.

You want legitimate answers try not to look like a troll in the process.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Would you be willing to respond to this?

I did in the ACAB hugbox thread already. Someone else expanded on what I said. Since you like going through my post history I'm sure you can find it. :)

Untagged posted:

You want legitimate answers try not to look like a troll in the process.

I'd say the same to you guys but I know that's loving impossible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

When I said shut up, I meant shut the gently caress up with the meta posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

mds2 posted:

Do you think there should be criminal charges against the choker? Assuming you don't step in between the assailant and the victim in time to stop the choking. Would you yourself file them/arrest the assailant?

If it were one of my fellow officers it wouldn't be my call. Administrative reporting usually involves telling your mutual supervisor through the chain of command, or reaching out to infernal affairs directly; it's their job is to be the pariah, it's their area of expertise, let the pros do their thing. If the member were suspected of criminal wrongdoing another police agency would be called in to investigate.

• Locked thread